Amazing Apple Tarts
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
1 1/2 cups dry sweetener
1 cup cold vegan margarine
Egg replacer equivalent to 4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
• In a large bowl, mix together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sweetener. Cut in the margarine until crumbs form. Add the egg replacer and vanilla extract slowly, forming a ball of dough. Wrap in plastic or wax paper and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour but not longer than 1 day. Remove from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling out.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12 3-inch tart pans.
• Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6- to 7-inch circle and carefully fit 1 circle into each tart pan.
• In a medium bowl, gently toss the apples with the remaining sweetener, the nutmeg, and the cinnamon. Fold in the walnuts. Spoon an equal amount into each tart pan. Fold the pastry over the filling, seal the edges closed, and make small cuts in the pastry top.
• Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 12 servings