For the Sun-Dried-Tomato Linguine:
1/2 lb. linguine
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pkg. faux-chicken strips (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips)
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, quartered
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Drain.
• In a medium pan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. of the oil and sauté the “chicken” strips until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
• Heat the remaining oil in the pan and sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the “chicken” and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often. Season with the salt and pepper.
• Toss with the pasta until thoroughly coated.
For the Pesto:
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2-3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
• Place the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and process until minced. Add the basil, salt, and pepper and process until ground into a paste.
• With the machine running, pour the oil into the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until well blended. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vegan cheese.*
• Toss the pasta with the pesto, to taste, until thoroughly coated.
Makes 2 to 3 servings
*Note: This can be made ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.