2 1-lb. blocks firm tofu
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry sherry
3 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. pepper• Freeze the tofu for at least one day then thaw it and squeeze out the excess water. This changes the consistency of the tofu, making it chewier and more porous.
• Place the two blocks of tofu next to each other in an oiled loaf pan, making sure that they are as close together as possible.
• Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, water, and pepper to create a marinade.
• Pour 2/3 of this marinade over the tofu, cover the dish, and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Cover the remaining marinade and refrigerate it.
• Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and pour the remaining marinade over the top.
• Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes, basting every half hour and flipping after 45 minutes. (When flipping the tofu, use caution so that it does not break apart.)
• Cool the tofu to room temperature or place in the freezer until cool, at which point it will have a firm, meaty consistency.
• Use it in sandwiches, as a main dish with gravy, or come up with your own serving ideas.
Makes 6-8 servings
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.