My sweet tooth comes and goes in waves, and it is definitely here right now. Last night, I enjoyed store-bought vegan chocolate chip cookies, but taking the time to make homemade desserts is really where it's at. The satisfaction of making a difficult dessert is almost as rewarding as the taste—almost.
Since I'm in a dessert-craze phase, I decide to compile a list of my top 10 favorite desserts of all time. Kind of a "my life wouldn't be complete if I never ate these things again" list. Most have some connection to my childhood, while others I discovered as an adult. And my favorites are…
1. Pecan Pie: The crunch of the pecan layer on top of the pie is perfectly complemented by the gooey filling inside.
2. Grasshopper Cake: Grit-style chocolate cake layered with mint icing and chocolate chips.
3. Glazed Doughnuts: Simple, classic, and delicious warm.
4. Brownie à la Mode: Top homemade warm brownies with store-bought vanilla soy ice cream. Get really crazy and top with chocolate sauce and cherries.
5. Chocolate Chip Cookies: Even better when you use two to make a cookie sandwich.
6. Strawberry Shortcake: This has been one of my favorites since the age of 3, when my entire birthday was Strawberry Shortcake—the doll, not the food—themed.
7. Anything Lemon-Blueberry: The flavor combination works well in a pie or in a cake with lemon-flavored layers and a blueberry topping.
8. Carob-Mint Cookies: I fell in love with these scone-like cookies at Real Food Daily in Santa Monica.
9. Pecan Pinwheels: Someone please veganize these!
10. Pralines: SusanV at FatFree Vegan Kitchen says to create this Southern staple by substituting Earth Balance margarine for the butter and Silk Creamer for the creamer or half-and-half in any good praline recipe.
What are your favorite vegan desserts?
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.