Ant Invasion

Recently, my husband found a line of tiny ants marching purposefully from the windowsill to a sticky spot at the base of our sink. He discovered that the window, a greenhouse type, has holes for drainage at the bottom, and the ants had found their way in. We don’t use the window for watering plants, so he stopped up the holes and the problem was abated.

Prevention is the key when dealing with unwanted foragers like ants: Sealing up holes, making sure food is kept in sealed containers, and keeping a clean kitchen (with, ahem, no sticky spots) are top on the to-do list for keeping your house ant-free. PETA gives you the goods on ants’ diverse abilities and relationships, along with tips on humane ant control.

In some parts of the Caribbean and Central America, ant invasions are welcomed. Army ants, who travel en masse in a migratory fashion, sweep into houses and devour or chase away all the bugs they encounter—including cockroaches, centipedes, and earwigs—and then move on, leaving the house critter-free. Makes me wish army ants were the ones expanding their habitat into North America and not fire ants …

Commenting is closed.
  • wedding invitations says:

• Rita Clark says:

Does anyone know of a humane way to discourage earwigs from coming into my house?

• amanda says:

peppermint oil deters them as well. just drop some where ever they are entering the house, and they will turn right around!

• Rucina says:

ants can be really annoying! i had some ants that kept getting into my rat’s cage and it was scared me cause i didn’t want them to hurt my rat’s i tried a few different things to get them out but they kept coming back not matter how many times i cleaned everything out of the cage. what ended up getting them to go away was that i ended up moving my boys downstairs scrubbing their cage like crazy and then putting Vaseline around the bottom of the cage. that kept them out it was just gross to clean after! but my mom apparently “had” to spray my room with chemicals when my rats were out. which i didn’t like cause i didn’t want to kill them just out of my room!

also i don’t think the ants hurt my rats i just think they shared their food and sat in the cage.

• Chris Noaro says:

Good post, ants are cool!

• Amy says:

Use vinegar on your kitchen floors. Ants don’t like the smell.

• chander kumar soni says:

so good.