10 Vegetarians You Already Admire

9.  Morrissey

CC 3.0 | Caligvla

10.  James Cameron

CC 3.0 | jurvetson

Commenting is closed.
  • pumehana says:

i have been a vegetarian since 1978 when the price of meat skyrocked for that time; then i held a turkey and a chicken in my arms and
    petted them and that was the last i ate of birds.
    I still eat shrimp because i cant pet them; one day i will evolve away from fish too.

• LINDA BADHAM says:

There is no need to eat anything that has a face

• mariabourne12 says:

beautiful quotes i have been vegetarian for 4 months now and i have also decided to ditch dairy and milk

• chander kumar soni says:

really inspirable personalities.

• al says:

most humans have no compassion!

• janemck says:

so far so good – but why no women on the list? I believe Linda McCartney was veggie before Paul saw the light.

• Manel Dias says:

I wish I knew the pros & cons of eating fish way before. I always dislike the meat or even it’s smell. However becoming a vegetarian is the most comforting thing I feel within me & I admire right now.

• Dianamite says:

So was the winner of the 1978 Nobel Prize for literature–Isaac Bashevis Singer. some of his quotes: When a human kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice. Man prays for mercy, but is unwilling to extend it to others. Why should man then expect mercy from God? It’s unfair to expect something that you are not willing to give. It is inconsistent.
    My vegetarianism is a great protest. And I dream that there may be a whole religion based on protest … against everything which is not just: about the fact that there is so much sickness, so much death, so much cruelty. My vegetarianism is my religion, and it’s part of my protest against the conduct of the world.

• kimiko Yamamoto says:

When I feel alone in my passion for animal rights I
    think about these great people and know that I am not alone.

• Fred Rogers says:

Mr. Fred Rogers of Mister Rogers Neighborhood was also a well known vegetarian .

• Marta Rico says:

I love animals that is and important reason not to eat them, they have feelings and it’s not fare the life they have when is only to eat their meat, just a hell and beyond…

• Sherri says:

Christine, I too am an animal lover. I also came to the same conclusion one day out of the blue…”How can I love my cat and dog, yet eat another creature?” I was a hippocrite. I stopped eating meat from that day and have been a vegetarian for about 10 years now! I’m so glad I woke up!

• WJJM says:

What is the best guide for a new vegetarian? I think it is time.

• Mark M. says:

I’m also a non-mammal meat eater. The rampant use of anti-biotics and growth hormones, the catastrophic scourge of burning and cutting forests worldwide to make room for livestock, the misuse and abuse of grain for animal feed, the unspeakable obscenities of CAFOs and slaughterhouses, and the cumulative, negative and massive impact on the environment, on human health and on human karma for all this has turned me off to consuming beef, pork and lamb. Millions should cut or eliminate meat from their diet. We would all be much better off. Otherwise, interlocked systems will crash and billions will suffer.
    But before we go lauding the morals and good sense of all the people quoted here, and by extension all non-meat eaters, let’s note a cruel, or at least weird, irony of history: Hitler was a vegetarian.

• Daved Wachsman says:

“To tuly become a human being we must first become humane beings” by Daved Wachsman VEGCON means “VEGetarian CONscious” VEGCONISM is the humane alternative “By Changing Hearts To Changed Minds” by Daved Wachsman

• ida says:

getting into vegan is a win win decision for your well being as well as the animals

• arkadix says:

mike tyson would add on to that list )))

• bandita says:

Angela, I completely agree with you. Even though this list is mostly men, I think that this is a nice change of pace to list those who are regarded as intellectuals and strong-minded. Most lists consist of celebrities in the entertainment business who can be stereotyped as selfish and bad decision-makers. Mz. Fitz, congratulations on your weight-loss and new, healthy life-style! Great to hear you found the true secret of good health, although I wish that it weren’t a secret for animals sake. Even though the word is out (and even proof…in my opinion since I don’t have the “normal” ailments that most people have), so many people still refuse to believe that animal products are so unhealthy, no matter how little. And there’s so many delicious vegan meals out there!

• Michelle says:

There is more and more empirical evidence correlating cardiovascular and renal disease, and human obesity with animal flesh and dairy consumption. Morbid obesity is reaching epidemic proportions and bringing a myriad of accompanying co-morbidities and mortality. It’s a reasonable deduction that animal farming is not only making animals suffer miserable lives and death, but also the humans who consume them. The animal farming industry should be banned by the FDA the same way harmful chemicals and drugs are banned.

• Nancy Spilberg says:

I love the above comments and also the quotes. I have been vegetarian for over 6 years and vegan for 4 months. Every day I am thankful that I am helping in one little part of the world to help animals! Thank you to all those who share these feelings and values! We love animals and they deserve to live and not die for us.

• Leigh says:

I have been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and will never go back to eating meat. My doctor says I am in a healthy range for my age and I feel wonderful. All life is sacred and the use of animals for exploitation is disgusting, never again will I contemplate dead things for my dinner, peace.

• Beth McNair says:

We do not need to eat, beat or torture any living creatures of the earth, humans should enjoy are vegetables and fruits , no more meats for me!

• Edith says:

When I left my parents home and moved to a different city to attend university I was very excited, because I felt that it was the first time in my life I could be myself, really myself. I thought, what does it mean to be myself? And the first thing I changed was my diet, it was totally clear that I would never eat meat again. I have been vegetarian for more than 35 years and it has been one of the most rewarding things in my life, to look into the eyes of an animal and to see a truly equal spirit, with whom i can share this lifetime in happiness.

• Ron C says:

Being a vegetarian is a moral choice. I agree. And at times a lonely one.
    Especially when you consider less than 6% of the
    Population is vegetarian . Quotes such as these always
    Help . Sadly though … We have such a long way
    To go to transform the hearts and minds of the world. I saw a Red Robin commercial the
    Other day advertising a veggie burger ” for your teen daughter whose going through a phase !” Yep..
    We have a long way to go .

• Drpvpraabhakarrao says:

I am a vegetarian since birth. I have undergone 14 surgeries including bypass. Ima doing well without any animal food at the age of 67 years

• Liz says:

I think all of us carry this feeling inside of why the world can’t see what we see? Feel what we feel? Know what we know? I have only been a vegetarian for a year and I am 47 years old, but someone or something got to me, the feelings of sadness and pain that animals endure have always been there for me but I never realized I was contributing to it and unfortunately most don’t, so making that one person aware is so important.

• AnduTink says:

Really? You think this list is sexist? These are great vegetarians period . . . who cares if they’re men or women?

• Palmal says:

Yes! Such as Jane Goodall!

• Sue says:

the person who is ” disappointed” … you should see there’s Rosa Parks in the list :D

• Michal says:

There sholud be Brian May on this list. He is not only a vegetarian, but also devoted animal rights activist.

• Caroline says:

I love these quotes. Thinking of having some of them printed onto shirts, just to spread the word. I have been vegetarian/vegan for 22 years, and although I never preach to others, I hope some of my actions rub off on others in a positive way. Dear fellow vegetarians, please remember that persuasion is better and stronger than force.

• Mz. Fitz says:

I became a vegetarian over six months ago and have more energy, and lost 60 pounds. I hate to see any of any of ALMIGHTY’S BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, EDIBLE OR NOT BEING TORTURED, KILLED, ABUSED FOR ANY REASON, WHETHER TO EAT OR FOR ITS FUR, OR ITS HEAD CUT OFF AS A TROPHY TO HANG ON ONE’S WALL!! PEOPLE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP THE CRUELTY TO THESE BEAUTIFUL, FEELING ANIMALS!!!

• Angela Austin says:

I have to say I’m happy to see so many men listed here, especially smart ones. This will be good for me to show around. Too many people have claimed being a vegetarian is a “sissified woman thing”. On the contrary, they show being vegetarian is a “strength” thing.

• Christine Ostopoff says:

How about sayings from those of us who are “NOT” so “famous”? Here’s one for you…..and it was the moment when the light bulb went on for me over 35 yrs. ago when I changed my way of eating: “How can I say I love animals when I kill them by eating them?”

• asenath says:

being a vegetarian for 35 years, i am extremely happy to find these incredible people sharing my attitude towards nature and animals.

• MARY says:

i am agree with the life free violent, we are animals who can learn differents ways to live.
    i am vegetearian, i would like you would be vegetarian too!!!!

• Nightlight says:

Thank you all!

• 4mula1 says:

its the meat n dairy that lead to heart attack, stroke, ed, p.a.d, artery blockage (pcrm.org). if racing teams (indycar, formula one, ect), drivers, and fans did their body as they did their car, they would ALL be vegan!.. vegan by design!..

• Bob says:

I grew up eating meat. But, I have been a vegetarian for over 35 years now and am so much healthier than before. Some people ask me how I can live without meat. All I know is that it has made a huge difference in my life and I don’t miss meat. My attitude towards animals changed right along with my diet. Give it a try.

• Katie L says:

And Susan B. Anthony.

• Katie L says:

Great concept and great list but you left off Coretta Scott King! Big omission! Please add her and make it 12.

• chander kumar soni says:

great persons.

• PrateekM says:

I fail to understand how parents land up teaching their kids both ‘love’ and ‘killing’ at the same time. Its so sad that innocent beings are taught to chose the un-natural/wrong way of live. I read this some place – wonderfully worded, that an infant will always chose to eat an apple when kept with an apple and a rabbit.

• BethH says:

Vegitarians live an average of 10 years longer too !

• Jonno says:

@Temecula at least your vegetarian now :)

• Maggie says:

I love this list (I didn’t know Einstein was vegetarian), but where are all the women? Rosa Parks is one of my heroes, but there are plenty of awesome female vegetarians out there too.

• Nandlal says:

Think of putting ourself in the slaughter house.
    We will not kill any animal if we identify the soul in every living being.

• Annamarie says:

Not surprising that such incredible human beings (mostly) would feel this way.

• Disappointed says:

List some female vegetarians, please? Too sexist to list all men!

• Temecula photographer says:

I have been a vegetarian now for over 6 months and the only thing I can say is that I am disappointed it took me so long to make the change in my life.