Vegetarian to Vegan: Making the Switch

Written by Ashley Palmer | December 28, 2010

Like many people, I once justified eating eggsmilk, and cheese by saying, “But they don’t kill the animals.” What I failed to realize is that the animals who are raised for these products face a horrifying fate that is no different than the one faced by animals who are killed for their flesh.

The money that I was spending on these animal-derived products was going right into the pockets of the industries that I was standing up against as a vegetarian. Once I learned that hens have their beaks cut off with a hot blade and are crammed into cages so small they are unable to spread their wings and that mother cows are forcibly impregnated in order to produce milk for humans and then have their babies stolen away (yep, that’s where veal comes from), I knew I could no longer support any industry that profited from exploiting animals.

Going vegan is the best decision that I have ever made. If you’re in a similar situation, please take a look at my following suggestions for making the transition from a vegetarian diet to a vegan one:

1. Make vegan versions of your favorite meals. Yes, you can use the same exact recipes! Just use soy milk, vegan margarinevegan cheese, and faux meats where your recipes call for the real thing. You’ll be surprised by just how tasty, satisfying, and comforting it is to enjoy your favorite foods without causing a single animal to suffer.
  2. Try new, interesting, and intriguing foods. Ever wonder what mock shrimp tastes like? Or maybe you’ve been too scared to try tofu. Never been to that Indian or Thai restaurant down the street? Now’s your chance! Being vegan will open your taste buds up to a whole new world.
  3. Browse hundreds of free recipes right here. Use PETA’s simple recipe search to find just the meal that you’re looking for. Search by cuisine type, meal type, or keyword, and you’ll be on your way to foodie heaven in no time! Click here to get started.
  4. Ask a friend to do it with you. Each vegan saves more than 100 animals a year. You can help even more animals if you ask your friends, family, and coworkers to go vegan too. Plus, knowing that you’re “in it together” will help keep you motivated.
  5. Remember the animals you’re fighting for. Explore PETA’s website and become familiar with the issues surrounding animal agriculture. The more you learn, the easier it will be to go vegan.

Going vegan is the easiest, cheapest, and smartest thing that you can do for your health, the planet, and animals. Now that’s a New Year’s resolution worth bragging about.

So what are you waiting for? Go vegan now!

Commenting is closed.
  • Courtney smith says:

Im 13 and have been vegetarian since November 2009. I decided to turn vegan 3 days ago, but im finding it hard? I really do want to be a vegan, but im gonna stick to being a vegetarian. But i still wont eat egg, or milk (i have soya milk) i will eat cheese + mayonnaise etc.. which have extra chemicals added to them.. Atleast im not eating egg/milk which are raw products, milk have nothing added to them, or egg. I dont eat eggs because i cracked one and found blood in it, and the others have tiny embryo’s in them which was going to be a life of a chicken, its dreadful!

• taylorpaige says:

i’ve been doing a huge amount of research about becoming vegan. and it really is something i want to do. i can’t just sit by and watch murderers profit from using animals in pretty much every bloody product known to man. its not right. it really isn’t.
    thank you for you article by the way, i appreciate it. it really has helped me come closer to becoming vegan. :)

• rolling-wheel says:

@Snowraider – yes, in a perfectly human world farmed animals would be well treated, but they aren’t. They are product producers. Food machines. It’s hard to change everyone else, but much easier to change how we think. The farmer cannot be cruel to animals that are not in demand for. There’s no way to economically ‘mass’ farm, where less people produce prodcuts for more consumers, profitably, albeit not for free. The chickens and cows are NOT well treated. Visit the farms for a day or two. See for yourself, don’t take my word for it, or read the reports of people that have been there, or is just another big conspiracy, dah duh! (action music)

• rolling-wheel says:

the most recent comments are last in the list, not first, hmmm
    @whatthewhat, it’s not just animal cruelty but veganism very powerfully addressing poverty and over-food usage to feed animals to feed humans. hey take out the middle man (or cow, chicken, pig, goat, etc) and it saves very large amounts of time, food, effort, etc. The reading is out there. Anyone is welcome to learn and help out…if they want to. Go veges! But really whatthewhat, calm down a bit :)

• LisaLimeDrop says:

I think there is a good reason to try anything that values life. I am happy and justified in my reason to be vegan and on a personal note to eat meat or dairy, the guilt kills me. I am focused on world poverty and donate regularly and hope to this year volunteer overseas with Projects Abroad. Human life, animal life the life of our planet is more valuable than a specialty food costing a few bucks more. I understand that it feels like and uphill battle but we all have to try. Don’t we. I don’t judge anyone but I hope that I can be a role model and I am very happy with what I eat and how I live my life. Take care. We are all doing our part and it will make a difference, nothing goes wasted. Cheers

• Ariel Romero says:

Why on earth would anyone waste their time commenting so negatively on a positive resource? If PETA pisses you off so much don’t come on the damned website you friggen morons. And no Sir Whatthewhat…intelligent…really, by not supporting the businesses that are killing the animals, they are forced to kill less and less animals…ok too difficult for you, we’ll try a new method. If 5 kids buy 5 pieces of candy, yay the store sold their products, however, if only 2 kids buy the candy, yes there were still 2 pieces sold, however, look some candy is left over. Ok catching on? Now let’s make this even easier and compare the candy with the animals. The more vegans and vegetarians there are the more animals we will save. Yes, sadly some animals will have to be horribly slaughtered, yet not as many will be and hopefully over time, less and less and less animals will have to die for lil selfish bastards like you. As far as the prices a little apple and some vegan wheat bread is much cheaper than a big slab of meat. So no, you don’t have to go all fancy and buy big expensive brand name vegan products. You can lose a few pounds and cook cheaply and healthy with good old fruits and vegetables. And as far as the whole cow’s milk thing, I can tell you right now using a breast pump is not sweet and comfortable, and I only used it every now and then, imagine being confined in a small area and having the pump on pretty much non-stop. Unless you buy from a small local farmer, the milk isn’t being happily pumped by the farmer’s hands as he squirts a few drops into a baby calf joyfully bouncing around… Get real people stop believing what you want to believe n start studying the facts.

• Margareta says:

Can’t handle margarine. I get indigestion, heartburn & nausea from the stuff (not to mention the horrible taste) This is the only problem I have with going Vegan. It’s bad for you too.

• Margareta says:

• Happy Veg says:

I had been vegetarian for years when I realized that if I really wanted to make sure that my food did not come at the cost of living beings that I would have to change to a vegan diet. I found out that consuming dairy products only supported the horrible things which are done to animals. I started eating vegan because I believed it was the right thing to do, I had no idea how beneficial it would be to my overall health. I guess, though I was vegetarian I had certain irrational fears which are accentuated by society about veganism. What I discovered in becoming vegan, is that I get more protein than I did before, my skin glows and I look even younger, I have a beast of an immune system and I am more energetic. Not only that, but I discovered that it was the dairy in my diet which was giving me allergies. Since I’ve gone vegan I have not suffered from the congestion, headaches etc. which dairy was causing me.

• -jennieshaw says:

I have been a vegetarian for about 4 years now and I have wanted to go vegan but I didn’t think that they torchered animals for eggs and milk. Now that I do, I am definitely going vegan!

• June and Colin says:

Four years ago our family went from veg. to vegan. It was so much easier than we thought it would be. All we had to do was switch to soy yogurt and buy vegan cheese. Daiya cheese is the best. Every time we look at egg cartons or cheese in the store, we only see cruelty involved in these animal products. We feel so much better knowing that we don’t contribute to the exploitation and death of cows and chickens.

• Esspweb says:

Great post. I like it.

• cheapveg says:

For all of you that are stressed about how hard or expensive it is to be vegan, here are some tips:

1) Be vegan at home, at least vegetarian out. I eat vegan at home, and it honestly isn’t hard (see tips below). The tricky part is always eating out, or eating a meal that a friend or family member cooks. Most people understand vegetarian nowadays, but vegan can be tricky. When I am out to eat, if possible I eat vegan, but if the only vegetarian option is eggplant parm, then I eat it. Unless you’re someone that eats out every day, this works out to being almost entirely vegan. I’d say I’m vegan all but one or two meals a month for which I’m vegetarian. Very easy. Won’t drive you crazy.

2) As other people have mentioned, don’t worry about trace amounts of egg or milk in items like bread. If you want to worry about these things later, that’s fine. But, if you’re a new vegan, it will be overwhelming. Don’t worry about it now, rethink it later if you want to. Learn about substitutions gradually so it doesn’t drive you crazy and make you want to give up.

3) Get some vegetarian and vegan magazines. I get VegNews and Vegetarian Times, and they are fantastic. It gives me nutritional information and recipes gradually. It is a lot easier than learning about everything you should do as a vegan all at once, and helps me keep up with new products.

4) Don’t try to eat like a vegetarian version of a meat eater. What this means is try not to buy faux meats and cheeses. Sure, I do this sometimes, but if you get them a lot, it is expensive and unhealthy. A meat-eater and vegan/vegetarian should essentially be eating the same other than source of protein, which isn’t as large a part of the diet as Americans try to make it. Everyone should be eating more vegetables and fruit, not just vegans. The only difference for a vegan will be beans, lentils, nuts, soy etc. instead of meat.

5) Remember that being a vegan isn’t just about eating. Avoid buying leather, wool and obviously fur. This gets easier and easier every year as the market for these products shrinks. Another really easy option is to buy second hand products and not worry about the materials. The few leather products I own were bought second hand. Better to keep something from going in a landfill that is leather than buy it new, no matter the material. I sometimes worry about someone looking at me like I’m hypocritical, but if they ask about it, it gives me an opportunity to tell them that I bought it second hand and why.

Being vegan might seem tricky at first, so go about it gradually. Don’t expect to be perfect at first. You’ll find that it is healthy, easy, and cheap. Cook food yourself instead of doing takeout, and you’ll save a lot of money. I eat very well, lots of fruit and veggies, almost all organic, and I spend less on groceries/food than anyone I know.

• e. says:

thank you ashley for your suggestions, and thank you peta for spreading informations and supporting animals!
    i think i’m making the switch :D , i’m sure it will make me happier and proud of myself

• Riss says:

I think people who start out eschewing one animal at a time (like I did) deserve just as much credit for their decisions as strict vegans. Come on! I’m pregnant and have to take a very strong iron supplement b/c the OBGYN noticed that since choosing a quasi-vegetarian lifestyle, I was becoming anemic! I think flexitarianism deserves just as much praise as veganism. Not everyone can fiscally or conveniently do this. When I’m done having kids, I may consider becoming a full-blown vegan. As for now, the baby’s health is more important. (But mind you, I’m still abstaining from all red meats.)

• LaurS says:

I have been a vegetarian for a year now and couldn’t be happier. Im toying with the idea of going vegan and giving it a chance. Although the meat industry will never end and the cruelty will go on, I feel so much better as a person to know that I am not contributing. Its mind over matter people. Not only do you save animals but you are able to get extremely healthy in the process if you do it right. Everyone should give it a try and have an open mind. To each his own…

• MJ says:

Actually a vegan diet is inexpensive if you cook versus buy prepped food! Going vegan does not exclude “ending poverty”. I don’t know about you, but I can successfully focus on more than one worthy cause. I won’t be eating animal products in 2011 after 18 years of a veg diet. Good job PETA!

• CONNIE says:

I just recenetly went to a Peta website and watched the videos. By the end I was crying and feeling disgusted. From that day on I quit eating meat and am now checking our food stores to see if I can find some items to go Vegan. I will miss the leather shoes though, something awful!!! And the fine silks and wools too. But all I will do if I feel myself falling is go look at the Peta site again. And I was raised on a humane farm … there is no excuse for this insane cruelty.

• Ann says:

This is a response to whatthewhat:

Yes, it’s true being a vegetarian or vegan isn’t cheap, but saying that animals are going to suffer anyway, so why bother to stop eating them? What kind of load of crap is that???

If you are going to use the dumbass mentality as listed above, then why bother trying to do anything to end poverty. There is always going to be poverty, people will always be hungry, so why bother do anything?? Why bother to breathe? We’re all going to die eventually.

The point is WE must do EVERYTHING we can to make our world a BETTER place.

• nubian says:

I think some of the comments to the people who are not Vegan are a bit much.I think people should be applauded for any effort that they make to reduce the cruelty. I am trying to lean towards a Vegan diet myself but i have to agree it is expensive! I don’t know about the States but I live in Canada and it is way expensive here for organic and Vegan food.

I recently went to the market and bought vegan butter butter alt $7.25, soy milk $5.25 2litres, soy treats for kids 4 icecream sandwiches $6.25, Soup $3.25 one can, cheese alt $7.80,sandwich meat for lunches 1 weeks worth $10.50, vegan hotdogs (6) $5.99.. almost 50 dollars for 7 items.. now tell me that’s not expensive and that’s at the cheap store. the other stores are more expensive!
    I am a single mom with two children and that’s a bit pricey plus i have a decent job i can only imagine for those who don’t. But we are vegetarian and i try to buy vegan whenever i can and make most of our food at home but finances do not allow me to afford it all the time though i really wish i could.

• suzy06 says:

For those of you who believe that animals are not harmed for eggs or milk and that it is a “natural” process, pick up a book and do some research. I suggest John Robbins Diet for a new America or Alicia Silverstone’s The kind diet. You are in for a rude awakening. These poor animals are beaten and pumped with hormones just so they can defy nature and constantly be reproducing. It should also be noted that everything they put in the animals then enters your body because you just have to have that extra egg with breakfast… and you thought ketchup made for a good condiment…

• redlovestrees says:

I have been a vegetarian for about 15 years. Stopped buying leather , wool or silk products about 6 years ago. I don’t use cow milk, don’t buy or eat eggs (unless I forget they may be in unsuspected places) but cheese for me is the hardest and yet it is from one of the most horrible of all the industries. I will become vegan this year.
    People, especially from heavy meeting eating cultures, are amazed that I won’t eat animal products and often ask why I would do this. My comment to them is always: “we are as bad as China in the way we treat our animals.” It is obscene and immoral and I wonder why every religion does not address this aggressively. There is no justification.” I ask people if they will sit with me and watch the videos of the cow, pig and chicken abuse and then tell me that it’s not a big deal. So far, no one has taken me up on it. This is it for me….it has to be vegan all the way. Thanks for all the interesting comments from everybody.

• KMO says:

I am lactose intolerant, and have been since childhood. Because of this I have always tried to avoid dairy and dairy containing foods, but I have to admit that I do like the taste of cheese and milk. In September of this year, I decided to stop eating meat, which I did not find difficult at all. Then I chose to stop eating other animal products. I admit that this step was difficult in the beginning, not because I couldn’t resist those foods, but because I was in new territory and was completely unfamiliar with what to eat and where to find it. I thought no restaurant in my city would have vegan food choices. However, I was motivated to become a vegan, pretty much from the get go. I didn’t eat vegetarian for years and years, contemplating going vegan, because I personally believed that I needed to go all out or not bother (just a personal opinion, mind you). So I found literature online regarding the health benefits – and concerns – and then I found recipes and just started experimenting. I do not regret my choice to go vegan, nor have I found it impossible or even close to impossible to maintain my eating habits. I had to research where to find the products I needed, and then I had to be open minded about new recipes. Then I evaluated the cost of foods I was buying (meat and other animal products) to the cost of the vegan items I needed to buy. I found minimal price difference overall. Some individual items are more expensive, but the cost of a whole basket of groceries for me is the same, if not cheaper than when I was buying non-vegan items. On the occasions when I have to buy a lot of produce, it can be more expensive, however, this is true about fresh produce whether you eat meat or not. As someone else in this thread said, if you want to do it, you will figure it out. I live in San Antonio, Texas. The city is 70% hispanic, and eats a lot of meat and cheese. We also have an obesity problem, even among our children. When I stopped eating meat and other animal products, I felt better. I have more energy now, and I don’t have to deal with stomach issues from eating dairy products. I run several times a week, and I take a B12 supplement, as is recommended for those who do not eat animal products. I am a healthy vegan. At the end of the day, you choose to eat what makes you feel good, and every person’s body is different. Regarding the taste issue, get some recipes and try them. When you taste vegan food done well, it is not gross, nor is it glaringly obvious that it’s vegan. My boyfriend is a meat and cheese eater, and probably always will be. However, he eats every single thing I make, which means that he eats vegan for about half of his meals. The meals he eats alone usually contain meat. He went a couple of weeks straight without eating hardly any meat (unintentionally), and felt like a slug with no energy. He incorporated more meat back into his diet and felt better. I personally feel better when I do not eat meat and other animal products, but each person is different. It is our daily activities and lifestyles that determine our nutritional needs, whether or not they contain meat. I choose to eat vegan, but I do not judge those who don’t choose the same path as me. The choices you make now affect your life in the future. But the choices are each our own to make. Let people choose. We will all reap what we sow eventually, and then it won’t matter who was right.

• Pete says:

whatthewhat…….what are you on???? i would pay twice as much knowing that animals wernt dying for me to live and that scum wernt gettin my money. As for ‘ending poverty’ thats a completely different argument and maybe you should sort out the animals that can’t do it for themselves before starting on humans

• Vanna Rocha says:

To you whatthewhat > This is exactly what VEGANS are doing, going to the real cause – like ending poverty and hunger! The real root of this big problem in the planet. Raising animals for food requires massive amounts of land, food, energy, and water and contributes to animal suffering.
    READ MORE HERE AT PETA http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/meat-wastes-natural-resources.aspx
    AND ALSO CAUSES DESTRUCTION OF THE PLANET AND HUMANS — GLOBAL WARMING – Science shows that going vegan is one of the most effective ways to fight global warming. Senior U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization official Henning Steinfeld reported that the meat industry is “one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems. Not eating meat is the ‘single most effective thing you can do’ to reduce your climate change impact. Carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide together cause the vast majority of global warming. Raising animals for food is one of the largest sources of carbon dioxide and the single largest source of both methane and nitrous oxide emissions.
    If you’re eating chickens, fish, turkeys, pigs, cows, milk, or eggs, that’s what you’re doing—wasting resources and destroying our environment.

• acrosstheuniverse says:

Poverty and animal cruelty are both important issues. They go hand in hand… no one who wants to save animals from cruelty wants to see children die of starvation. Every little bit counts and anyone who contributes to the solution should be commended. It is easy to support both causes at the same time, and we should never ever minimize the importance of each individuals actions. Every little bit counts.

The overall goal is to remove unnecessary suffering for all life which we could do if we all worked together.

• Veg Girl says:

If you MUST buy eggs – buy them from a small local farm where you can SEE the Chicken’s living quarters and the space they have to roam – you can see if they are happy and healthy and support your local economy, rather than lining the pockets of the ‘intensive’ farmers with their cruel methods.

• Ashley-P says:

Alexey – not everyone can travel to Denmark to help dolphins. Everyone can stand up against the cruelty that exists in the meat, egg and dairy industries, by making vegan food choices.

• alexey says:

OMG, what a great help.
    instead of doing bullshit avtion like that
    you better have to stop the DOLPHINS massacre on one of DENMARK’s islands and in CHINA.
    I can’t believe you aren’t able to do that, but for some reason you don’t…
    Maybe it’s just not profitable for you?

STOP WASTING our TIME with bullshit LIKE THAT
    and do some real things witch ACTUALLY MATTER!

• HappyVegan says:

Vegan can be very affordable and you don’t need to go to a specialty store to get anything. These days there are plenty of vegan products in local grocery stores for about the same price as any non-vegan products (e.i. vegan cheese, burgers, etc). The produce market has become my best friend. I can stock up on all my veggies and save a ton of money. The truth is, if you WANT to be vegan, you will figure out how to do it, and I truly feel that we are starting to see a much more vegan friendly world :)

• Joy Wheeler says:

I cook in a restuarant, we serve meat. I have been a vegan for eight months. It is hard. Sir Paul McCartney said don’t eat anything with a face. I say don’t eat anything an animal produces, like eggs or milk. They suffer for their product. Joy

• Gail Rivera says:

I’ve been a vegetarian for11 yrs and really enjoy it and feel like I too am doing a little something to help saving animals! However i’ve tried going vegan and after some research have found out that even tooth paste has some animal product in it not too mention just about every single thing out there including deoderants. too be truely vegan is not as easy as it sounds too me it’s more than what we eat but every product we use!!

• pj56 says:

I have been a vegetarian for ages, but have now become a vegan because of the newly found knowledge of the conditions these animals are put through for the eggs, etc.

• A says:

I’m vegterian,but am tentitive to go vegan. I could handle drinking soy milk, but the idea of eating daiya cheese and earthbalance spreads make me a little nervous.

• Kate says:

I’ve been a vegetarian all my life. I do despise the way cows and hens are treated by mega corp. farms. However, I am equally concerned about eating all the faux products where chemical additives are used to make them “look” original or taking over the counter supplements. Instead I’ve chosen to buy organic milk and eggs. They cost more than double their regular counterparts. So it is anything but cheap. Going vegan isn’t really an option for me.

• vivi :) says:

I’m a vegetarian and live on a farm.
    We live of the land, but i refuse to eat meat.
    Sure i eat eggs and drink milk because we own chickens and cows(we don’t kill animals) But it all depends on what you want to eat and if you know were it’s from.

• Yotebeth says:

So, I recently decided that I couldn’t abide by eating factory farmed meat, and went vegetarian. Like most folks I’ve scoured the internet and books stores for information about how to do this in a healthy way.
    I want to start by saying, its really intimidating when you go to a site that is supposed to help you and there are a lot of folks that are rather rabid in their beliefs. I feel like some of you are as bad as the people trolling you. Its not easy to try to change your lifestyle, especially if you are (like me) from a little farming town (in North Idaho). We know meat is cruel, but when someone is asking for help, or pointing out that its expensive to go vegan, jumping down their throat and telling them they are cruel, or you are embarrassed to be part of the same race as them will only scare people like me away!
    I know you love animals, and I know you are doing the right thing, but please, redirect your vitrol to the right sources.

• Bluefaeryglitter says:

I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 15 years (I am 29 years old now) for ethical reasons. I did attempt veganism briefly in high & it just wasn’t for me. I try to purchase only organic cruelty free eggs & dairy products. My eggs come from a local farm that is free range cruelty free & organic. They even have tons of pictures of their chickens & barns on their website. I also try to buy local organic milk & rennet free cheese. This works well for me & minimizes any harm that comes to these animals. It also supports small local businesses. I think the choice to be vegetarian or vegan is a personal choice & I would never force my beliefs on anyone else.

• hippie chick says:

I would like to become vegan but don’t know if I can. I am a vegetarian, but I have many medical problems including ic and not being able to digest fat of any kind. This is butter, nuts, meat, etc. Plus many other conditions making it hard for me to gain or maintain any weight. I am very underweight, afraid if I become vegan it will get worst. I can not have soy either or most fruit. Would like some tips or if it is possible for me to change.

• Jessie says:

I do think going vegan makes sense if you are vegetarian for animal rights reasons. However, I do not think going vegan is as easy as this article makes it out to be. For instance, the article claims you can make vegan versions of your favorite meals, but faux cheese is nasty. I’ve experimented a lot with veganism in the last few months and found that you can still make tasty food but it will require more work on your part. There are less things you can buy pre-made. I also live in a house with vegetarians and omnivores, so I am constantly presented with non-vegan temptations, not easy when the stuff tastes good and it is harder to see the connection with suffering than with meat. I think animal rights people should stop making veganism out to be so easy and be honest about it. Yes, it can be hard to be vegan, but you will be saving animals and making a public stance against animal exploitation.

• Skeptical says:

Let’s not forget that people eat milk, cheese, and meat for the health benefits for themselves, not for the cow which provides. How much will a vegan be spending on vitamins and supplements in order to compensate for not eating them?

• Melinia says:

If my 10 year old son (now 11) and my 14 year old daughter (now 19)(the ages at which they did it) can go vegan eating at school and out with friends then anyone can. NOT the point though; it is a personal journey. Don’t make excuses, don’t compromise yourself. Vegetarian and I like the occasional pizza- That is me and I am comfortable with that. I want more people to see how easy saving a life can be and the less militant I am -learned that from the kids-the better I am received. Peace

• Kathleen W, says:

Eating vegan is the best way to live for the animals & yourself. It is much cheaper buying vegan food than buying dead animals & is easy to find almost anywhere. The Peta site “Accidentally Vegan”
    is a great way to find “regular” vegan foods. I have been completely vegan for 4 yrs. and veg. for many yrs. before that. Being vegan is easy – all it takes in a commitment to care.

• Ann says:

Outside of egg replacement powder for baking, I have not been able to find anything to replace eggs. My husband likes his fried egg in the morning – any suggestions?

• Vicki says:

I would love to go vegan. I am having a hard enough time being vegetarian. I do not cook much, so trying to find restaurants that serve vegetarian dishes is difficult. Any suggestions for me?

• Ineke de Wild says:

Comment on Concernedcitizen: how about plants…
    Plant feel no pain animals and people do (the least harm principle), besides jou kill a lot more plants through eating animal products! 75 % of the soy is cattlefood, it takes a lot more food to create animal products aprox 1 pound of animal product takes from 3- to 15 pounds of vegetable food!

Dear Ximena
    ‘The guy in the rural area’ can also buy vegetable food instead of chickenfood and create and start to sell delicious healty vega burgers or other vegan food for those who have no health- or reformstore nearby!
    then the one hand washes the other!

• Beth says:

I have been a vegetarian for about the past 6 months, and though it’s been a very tough transition for me, I’ve gotten to the point where it is very easy to keep off the meat and frankly I feel much better. And though I would love to be a vegan, it is just not practical. I love animals and they are my life, but you are very limited to what you can eat if you cut out eggs and dairy. Unless you really love salads, you will have a very hard time eating out anywhere. Not too mention all the other non-food items that contain animal products. You will be hard pressed to find a good shampoo or body lotion. I am all for anyone who stands up for animals, but Peta needs to get real. Instead of pushing for everyone to go “vegan”, they need to be practical and push for better regulations and more humane methods of raising and slaughtering animals. I hate to see any animal suffer and die just to fill someone’s gut but the world is NEVER going to stop eating meat!

• Tatiana says:

I´ve been vegetarian for 20 years an became Vegan 2 years ago. The best decision I´ve ever made. It´s fabulous to live with a clean conscience. Some friends have become vegetarians and some Vegans as well. It is so fulfilling to see how others notice the peace of mind and soul this lifestyle gives you and want to experience it for themselves.
    I have learned to include so many other things I never ate before. With time it gets easier and easier.

• Ineke de Wild says:

Cows get inpregnated (raped) by people to make them give birth or else they don’t give milk at all, then the remove the calf usually within a week, male callfs to be put in a box for veil and cows to also be ‘raped’ milked out and slaughtered for meat later on.
    Mothersmilk is for baby’s, and in the wild cowsmilk is for calfs.
    it’s the same with all animal products.
    open your eyes and your heart Go vegan!

• Ineke de Wild says:

Cows get inpregnated (raped) by people to make them give birth or else they don’t give milk at all, then the remove the calf usaully within a week,male calf to be put in a box for veil) cows to also be ‘raped milked out and slaughtered for meat later on.
    Mothersmilk is for baby’s, and in the wild cowsmilk is for calfs.
    it’s the same with all animal products.
    open your eyes and your heart Go vegan!