Vegetarian 101

When it comes to vegetarianism, the number one question on most meat-eaters’ minds is, “What do you eat?” The answer: Anything we want! There are vegetarian alternatives to almost any animal food, from soy sausages and “Fib Ribs” to Tofurky jerky and mock lobster. Vegetarian-friendly menus are sprouting up everywhere—even Burger King offers veggie burgers—and more and more eateries are focusing exclusively on vegetarian and vegan foods. There are fantastic alternatives to every dairy product you can imagine, including Soy Delicious ice cream, Silk chocolate soy milk, Tofutti cream cheese, and more.

Going vegetarian has never been easier, and we’re here to help! From our fantastic recipes and list of favorite products and favorite vegetarian cookbooks to our free vegetarian starter kit and online shopping guide, PETA has all the information you need to adopt a healthy and humane vegetarian diet!

Every year in the U.S., more than 27 billion animals are slaughtered for food. Raising animals on factory farms is cruel and ecologically devastating. Eating animals is bad for our health, increasing the risk of developing various diseases and illnesses, including heart attacks, strokes, cancer, diabetes, and obesity.

In response to animal welfare, health, and ecological concerns, compassionate people everywhere are adopting a vegetarian diet.

For Animals

Animals on factory farms are treated like meat, milk, and egg machines. Chickens have their sensitive beaks seared off with a hot blade, and male cattle and pigs are castrated without any painkillers. Farmed chickens, turkeys, and pigs spend their brief lives in dark and crowded warehouses, many of them so cramped that they can’t even turn around or spread a single wing. They are mired in their own waste, and the stench of ammonia fills the air.

Animals raised for food are bred and drugged to grow as large as possible as quickly as possible—many are so heavy that they become crippled under their own weight and die within inches of their water supply.

Animals on factory farms do not see the sun or get a breath of fresh air until they are prodded and crammed onto trucks for a nightmarish ride to the slaughterhouse, often through weather extremes and always without food or water.

Many die during transport, and others are too sick or weak to walk off the truck after they reach the slaughterhouse. The animals who survive this hellish ordeal are hung upside-down and their throats are slit, often while they’re completely conscious.

Many are still alive while they are skinned, hacked into pieces, or scalded in the defeathering tanks. Learn more about the factory-farming industry. By switching to a vegetarian diet, you can save more than 100 animals a year from this misery.

One suggestion: If you plan to make the transition to a vegetarian diet gradually, the most important foods to cut out of your diet first are bird flesh and eggs. While many people think that “red meat” and dairy products should be the first to go, this isn’t the case.

By cutting bird flesh from your diet, you’ll save many more animals. Because chickens are so small, the average meat-eater is responsible for the deaths of many more chickens than cows. Plus, chickens and turkeys exploited by the meat and egg industries are the most abused animals commonly used for food.

For Your Health

Some of the leading killers in America today, including heart disease, cancer, obesity, and strokes, are directly linked to meat-based diets. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in America today, and it can often be caused by the build-up of cholesterol and saturated fat from animal products in our arteries.

The only two doctors in human history who have successfully reversed heart disease have included an exclusively vegetarian diet as a part of their programs. The average vegan cholesterol level is 133 (compared to 210 for meat-eaters); there are no documented cases of heart attacks in individuals with cholesterol under 150. Other health problems tied to clogged arteries, like poor circulation and atherosclerotic strokes, can be virtually eliminated with a vegan diet.

Vegans are approximately one-ninth as likely to be obese as meat-eaters and have a cancer rate that is only 40 percent that of meat-eaters. People who consume animal products are also at increased risk for many other illnesses, including strokes, obesity, osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, multiple allergies, diabetes, and food poisoning. Learn more about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet.

For the Environment

America’s meat addiction is poisoning and depleting our potable water, arable land, and clean air. A staggering 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute. More than half of the water used in the United States today goes to animal agriculture, and since farmed animals produce 130 times more excrement than the human population, the run-off from their waste is fouling our waterways. Animal excrement emits gasses, such as hydrogen sulfide and ammonia, which poison the air around farms, as well as methane and nitrous oxide, which are major contributors to global warming.

Forests are being bulldozed to make more room for factory farms and crops to feed farmed animals, and this destruction causes soil erosion and contributes to species extinction and habitat loss. Raising animals for food also requires massive amounts of food and raw materials: Farmed animals consume 70 percent of the corn, wheat, and other grains that we grow, and one-third of all the raw materials and fossil fuels used in the U.S. go to raising animals for food. In short, our country’s meat addiction is wrecking the earth. Read more about factory farming and the environment.

Request a vegetarian starter kit to get started today!

You may have been thinking about a vegan lifestyle for a while but didn’t know where to start. Well, it’s as easy as one, two, three! Here you can find out how to go vegan in three simple steps.

Commenting is closed.
  • Ailea says:

I became a vegetarian by accident. I just stumbled across a website with videos about animal abuse in China which included animals meant for consumption such as cats and how dogs were beat to death in the streets. I broke down in tears and it lead to me writing a letter to the China ambassador, signing several petitions, and researching animals in America that were meant for human consumption and how they were handled and slaughtered. Again, I broke down into tears. I made my mind up that night that I would become a vegetarian. That was a month ago and I have to say, I love my new way of eating! I feel so much better, I’m proud of myself, and I really enjoy my meals! The food options are endless and it’s delicious! I don’t even miss meat! The only thing I do miss is fish….but oh well. I really can’t see myself going back to the way I was eating just a few months ago, it’s against my morals. Half of the research I found to help me settle into my new way of living I found right here on peta.org so thank you PETA for all of your help and information!

• Nat says:

I’ve been a vegetarian all my 19 years of life. As a baby/toddler every time my parents tried to feed me meat I would always spit it out or just not touch it so they eventually stopped trying to feed it to me. I am the only vegetarian in my family and only have 1 friend who is also a vegetarian so I love reading forums like these, where I share the same lifestyle as others :) Everything about meat disgusts me, the look, the smell, the knowledge of where it’s coming from, I can’t say “taste” though since I have no idea what meat tastes like. When people ask me why I haven’t ever tried it I tell them for humane reason and most of the time they don’t seem to understand what the humane reasons are. Maybe they’re just in denial, I’m not sure. Being vegetarian is one of the best things that has ever happened to me! I love all animals! :)

• DespicableMe says:

I mostly agree with the information from above,apart from one comment:Eating animals is bad for our health(if you have documented and researched this in detail,could you please post an academic,scientific study that shows that?).That is not true.Although I have been a vegan for quite a long time, I believe that websites like this should stop feeding lies to people or inappropriately referencing information. Anything eaten accordingly to your dietary needs and in a balanced manner is healthy for you.Meat does not make you unhealthy, it is the amount and the way you cook it that damages your liver,or causes high blood pressure or raised cholesterol levels. I also happen to be a medicine student, so what I am saying now actually comes from years of research.
    I chose a vegan lifestyle because I love animals, I despise the way in which they are killed in slaughterhouses and I do believe that we do not have the right to take any other living creature’s life.But I hate as well the fact that this cool trend of turning veggie has become less researched into and people just buy some of the bullshit they are being told.
    I rest my case,PETA, please rephrase so that people won’t actually believe that eating animals is unhealthy.

• Mimii Justina says:

I’ve Been A Vegetarian 2yrs. Now n_n & Proud To Be.. & Most Likely Going Vegan 2011 (=

• vegetarianwannabe says:

Would it be okay to eat meat from the farms I know that treat animal nicely before they turn them into meat? I mean our goal of becoming vegetarians is to boycut the slaughter house that are cruel to the animals right? Since I barely eat any carbs, meat has become one of the biggest food source I have. But at the same time, I am aware that some slaughter houses are very very cruel.
    I am eager to know a solution to my situation.

• bohica says:

any suggestions for a type 2 diabetic to go vegetarian?

• *Erin* says:

To earthlover: Try Gardein or Morningstar farms chik’n products. I have many carnivorous friends that now eat the fake chik’n after trying it.

• zandi89 says:

I’ve been vegetarian now for 3 months and never looking back. Sometimes I catch myself dreaming about bacon and wake up not too sure why I made the switch (tho I have found a faux bacon which is totally awesome!!!). I can say that articles such as this reaffirm my commitment. My overall health has also improved, I no longer get indegestion, bloating and other discomforts in the tummy. yay!
    I tried being vegetarian when I was in my young teens but I just cut meat out of my diet and didn’t substitute with anything else so I became quite unwell. Now that I’m older and chose to educate myself better about it all I’m loving it! It feels great knowing that I can chose and follow being vegetarian and stand up for what I believe in, in such a simple way. :)

• KoodieFrank says:

For a long time I was a meat eater, never fully conscious of what actually goes on in slaughter-houses, and exactly what I was putting into my body. I kept pushing it to the back of my mind, although there was something very haunting about the meat I was eating.
    I think it is absolutely disgusting that innocent creatures are tortured and mistreated at our expense… So that we can have a hamburger or some chicken nuggets..its completely selfish, because the human race is incredibly selfish, and its always about what we “want” as opposed to what we actually need.
    You don’t need meat. What you need is fruits, veggies, grains, nuts..and you will be amazed at the health benefits you will gain if you stop eating animals or somethings baby.
    The food system is very corrupt and it is horrifying. You do not know exactly what you are eating. Please do not support this corrupt system and stop eating meat. Please eat organically and locally if possible. This way your food isn’t traveling about 2,000 miles to get to your supermarket. Grow a garden..that’s cool too.
    Meat corrodes your body and your brain..there are things in these animals, in the packaging that are actually meant to slow you down and eventually kill you…or turn you into a robot, which most of us already are. Watch Food, Inc. also, research ” The Freeman Perspective”, you may learn a couple of things. You wont regret it.

• claire says:

I LOVE MEAT… and I always was the first to laugh at vegetarians. I have watched the video on the website and I am sooooooo ashamed. And I have decided that I will give vegetarianism a go. I think that I will have to watch this video once a day to remind me. Is there any other material I can get my hands on to keep myself focused? I really hope that after I do a month of this, I will be suprised by ow good I feel physically, emotionally and spiritually and want to keep it up. Also, I do a lot of running and sports. And I suppose this has been a good excuse for me to keep eating so much protein. Does anyone else on this site do a lot of sports too, and have some handy diet hints?

• MeatLover Forever says:

Not every slaughter house is the same, I’m sure there are better ones too. As far as killing animals without pain killers is sound stupid, Filipinos circumcise their kids without any pain killers. Life is tough not everybody can have the best in life, and it’s the same with animals. My question to all of you “animal lovers”, how come you all defend chickens, cows, pigs and so on and I don’t hear you defending human aborted baby. No matter what gestation period, babies feel pain, try to grab with their little hand to something, to escape the pain and horror. Have any of you “animal lovers” watch a live abortion and saw the horror of it??? I recommend you do that and think about how is it not crime to kill a human baby a one week before its born, but obviously big crime to kill a chicken and drastically change a life style. I grow my own meet ( chickens, cows and pigs) and let my animal live outside breathing fresh air, but I would still argue that human life cannot even be compare to animal life-ever. Human life is priceless, and it’s morally wrong to kill human, but animals is a different story, that’s what they for- to serve us, for food, clothing and other use we might find.

• Patrick Hamilton says:

I buried my brother on Saturday…..He died from a massive heart attack at 56. His wife was the daughter of a rancher, and he consumed masses of red meat. I know this contributed to his early demise. I had a wake-up call a couple of years back, when I found out I had had a silent heart attack. I changed my diet, but I truly realize if I am going to outlive my dear brother, I am going to have to move towards a vegan diet. Ethically, I should have done this years ago.

• krunal says:

Now i’ll prefer to be a veggie.Thanks PETA.

• Stephers says:

I have decided to become a vegan and I’m really confident about my choice. This website definitely helps give support and great recipe ideas to make it a much easier decision. Not to mention slaughterhouses are horrible and need to be shut down! I know that’s not going to be in the near future, but maybe someday if more and more people join the vegan revolution we can get things done! PETA ROCKS!!

• Teresa says:

today im becoming a vegan and im knda scared tht i mite fail but after a video i think i can do it wish me luck

• Sushi-Pants says:

Okay, so I am willing to give up beef, pork, veal (which i don’t eat already) and turkey. But chicken is my absolute favourite food in the world. It would KILL me to give it up, but I could manage if there was veggie versions of chicken. Does anyone know any?

• BreBre says:

Its so wrong wat they do to this beautiful animals I hate it alot Im a beinger vegertain and in my time i already got 2 other of my buddies to come vegartians now.I just hope this cruality would stop some day and be over with its soo wrong it makes me wish i was the animal getting hurted instead.

• iheartchicksns:) says:

I’ve been a vegetarian for four years ( a vegan for 2) and love it. Not only am I saving defensless animals, which was my reason for becoming vegan, but I feel way healthier!

• Magpie says:

I’ve been Veggie for over a year now and it’s actually easy once you have got past those first few weeks.

It’s similar to an addiction, the trick is to find the alternative to eating meat.

Make sure you can give yourself a veggie diet BEFORE going veggie or you are doomed to fail.

Make sure to spread the word also, despite the comments your friends and family make.
    A paticular hated comment of mine is “But they are so tasty!”

Don’t force people, but just suggest it to them.

• Danielle says:

After seeing the videos, I have never been able to look at meat the same. I saw what was happening to these poor animals everyday and it’s unfair! I am a new vegetarian and proud to say it. I will not go back to meat, and I love my new lifestyle (:

• Juliechicks says:

I’m not necessarily a vegetarian, however, I eat mostly vegie just because I like it. My son and I watched “Food Inc” for homeschool science and I was appalled. We don’t eat out and only eat meat if I know who raised it. I raise my own “pet” chickens for eggs. Those girls are as dear to me as my dog. They get fresh organic greens, fruit and feed and free range our property daily. Thank you for the information and I really enjoy everyone’s insightful comments.

• Mayli says:

I have been vegetrian for almost now 2 years..And.. i thought it would be really hard..But.. at the end i just find it so easy.
    And I get to eat soo much delicious food. AND very healthy

My mom makes and creates such great new veggie recipes!!
    And.. she is planning to become a vegetarian also .. =D!!!

• veggifreak says:

i’m a teenager and have been a vegitarian for almost a year and i cant even stand looking at almost all meat. the one thing that tempts me is lasagna, which my family only makes like once a year so not much of a temptation there. i can’t even eat veggi burgers because i always think my brother switched it with a real burger. i dont put it past him. my sister is still mad at her friends daughter for showing my the videos that made me become a vegitarian. i’m not because it was a matter of time anyway. i havent eaten anything made from pig sence i watched Charlett’s web in 2nd grade. my parents are supportave of my life style but i still get picked on at school for being the veginator. i dont care though i just smile keep walking. im never eating meat again because i see the animals that they once were

• Weesherilee says:

I officially became vegetarian January 1st ( I worked up to it in the last six months). I am a strong supporter of Farm Sanctuary and The Gentle Barn. I felt that in order to properly support, I needed to change my habits. I find this an exciting challenge, and I look forward to learning new ways of cooking. Most importantly I feel good about my decision, and I do not care what others think. I am doing what is not only right for me but for the animals as well.

• Johanna says:

i don’t see anything wrong in eating meat. but i mean the meat of a happy and free animal, that you eat once a month.
    but people eat meat every day. and the animals that are killed for those people are treated so badly, it beyond everything we can imagine! i’m so glad this topic is becoming a bigger one for more and more people! but still so many people don’t know about the conditions of the animals they eat! they only know about the dogs in china…but they don’t know that the same happens to our cows and pigs!!
    i do eat meat. but not much and but only if i really know that it comes from a “happy” farm, and it was free.

• animal-lover says:

On May 10, 2010 I decided to become a vegetarian and it’s the best decision I have made. It’s sad to see how these people can be so cruel and kill an animal. Some people say “but its just an animal” its true its an animal but remember it breaths air just like we do, it thinks just like we do, it loves just like we do, it feels just like we do so why put something so adorable in so much pain it makes me sick to my stomach to watch these videos and see how cruel and heartless some people can be. Now I enjoy veggie patties and know im not hurting the beautiful creation god made =) thanks peta!

• P3 says:

After what I just read,I plan on going Vegetarian. I eat meatless fare at least twice a week. I have high cholesterol problems and am eliminating Burger King Buck Doubles from my menu. I don’t want to be responsible for anymore animals dying just for food. This site is fantastic! Glad I stumbled upon it.

• officiallyaveg says:

It is absolutely terrible what they do to animals! I mean, they don’t slaughter us so animals can eat us, so we shouldn’t slaughter them so we can eat them! It’s cruel, it’s sickening, and it is horrific. Meat may be tempting to eat, but I’ll just think about the poor animal getting it’s guts spilled for me.

• Tanyat127 says:

Is it still cruel to animals and what not if I get my eggs from a family members farm and home raised animals that I know how they are treated? I protested years ago about the hormones given to cows for milk production and got them to stop giving it. What if I know how the dairy cows are treated on the farm where I buy my milk. I still dont eat meat but as far as byproducts If they are treated right and are local is it still cruel?

• Alex says:

I’ve been a vegan for 1 month now and after seeing the Glass Walls video, I’ll be a vegan until the day I die. Keep fighting for the defenseless, and so will I.

• KiKi.BiTTeRSWeeT says:

I want to be vegan but my parents won’t let me! That’s a very personal choice and I don’t think they have the right to stop me. Besides, parents are supposed to care for my well-being and the vegan diet is the most healthy way of living. The way animals are treated that way for my “benefit” makes me sick. How can someone be so heartless? I don’t like the idea of my body being a graveyard either.

• alexis.for.animal.rights says:

As Sir Paul McCartney himself says,
    “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.”

I went vegetarian about a week ago. I feel so much more energetic and happy than I ever have before. I feel sick knowing that I ate something that was once alive. That had blood running through its defenseless body. That felt pain when it’s throat was slit. That had a family. Some that were smarter than three year old humans. That people enjoyed and took pride in killing these creatures.

I feel sick just thinking about it. Did you know that one vegetarian saves over FIFTY helpless lives per year? That’s reason enough for me to become meat-free. Let’s all help stop animal cruelty!

My name is Alexis, and I am 13 years old. These were my reasons for becoming vegetarian.

• Marcela y Gabriela says:

Nos volvimos vegetarianas. Condenamos la crueldad y la inhumanidad de los que participan directamente o indirectamente con estas horrorosas practicas. Año nuevo vida nueva!!!

• Mariam says:

I cant even look at meat anymore… tears just began to run down my cheek. I am going to become Vegan, not just Vegetarian.

• VaganGirl2011 says:

madiness97 why wont your dad let me. Its a perosnal choice. If you want to become vagan do it. Dont let anyone stop you:)

• Mulan says:

I’m a vegetarian.I eat Tofu everyday. One of my friends told me that Soy causes breast cancer. Is it true?

• traptinmusicgrl says:

I’m all about making living conditions better for those poor animals. Their short hellish lives they live isn’t fair, it is just plain cruel. I would love to see all that abuse go out the window, and all the people who participated in it held responsible for what they did. But I don’t think that every person becoming a vegetarian would “save the planet” like the video say’s. If everyone did become a vegetarian, then the planet would become over run by pigs, cows, chickens, etc… It would cause additional strains on our environment, and natural resources. Then what? Kill the animals? And then do what with them? The animals would be killed without cause. People are designed to be omnivores. We have the teeth to prove it. And I’m not against vegetarians, kudos to all of you who can do it. People choose to become vegetarians, and I respect that. I just want better conditions for those poor animals. =[

• JESS says:

is it ok to eat meat from local-non-factory-farms (where they are humane and organic)? because i can’t imagine my life not eating meat but i do want to do my part in helping animals so ould i make a difference?

• Bill says:

The most important two things are animal rights and human health. This subject has never been presented to me with such true documentation and impact. I cannot believe that the government is not as forth coming as this website. This turns my understanding of unethical animal treatment in its cruelist form to a new height.
    I ask the animals to forgive mankind for such an error in judgement. A solution to polution control, sickness, and health care costs are all involved in not eating meat. If we all turn to veggitarians I am sure that the meat industry will take a horrible financial hit but that money will cost a lot more in health issues in the future.

• Ekaterini Drakaki-Peterson says:

….loaded chili dog!!! what is that suppose to be? a prize????
    Never eat the stuff, never miss it, I do not even want to know how they taste!!! Vegetarian diet is the only diet. I am healthy, inside and out! I am in a better disposition than any one I know that eats meat!!! I am healthy, never had any problems with my health, never ever. That is a good reason to be a vegetarian, along with the saving the animals mentality, we can change the humane society, the animals are better off than us 100% , we need to leave them alone, they are miserable with us around them!!! We need to adopt them for pets and to keep them free, cage free that is. Keep some of the humans that eat meat in a cage for a day, without their will, see how they feel.

• Ashley says:

I thought you said that most of the animals are never given or water and therefore are too weak to get off the trucks, how do they consume our most of our grain and corn? I’m a little confused. If you could please email me your answer, that’d be great also, if anyone has a list of foods vegans cannot eat that’d be a BIG Help.

• Kitty says:

I’ve only been vegetarian for 2 days well me & my friend have (we’re only 14 imgine when we’re 21?!). We’re gradually makin’ our way up a scale & hopefully our other friends will join. & being mexian (also being so close to the mexico border)influences us to eat meat more than 3 times a week (especially at parties). But my mom is actually suprised of the big change in eating & is happy with my choice, so I think being vegetarian will be a great thing. Thanks to this article I’m more focused on being vegetarian than anything else. & I love piglets so that’s also another reason. (:

• LadyLauren says:

I have been wanting to be vegan for a long time, I finally did so and feel much better. Before I felt runned-down and didn’t want to do anything, now I have the energy of a five year old. =)

• nicole says:

i’ve only been a vegetarian for a few months, but i’m really loving it! i have more energy, i feel healither, and i’m proud not to eat innocent animals. i really encourage people to not eat meat and think about your health, the enviroment, and all those poor animals! my friends think i’m weird because i’m a vegetarian, but i dont really care what they say. being a vegetarian is one of the best things i’ve ever done! this website really tells the truth about meat, and i’m really glad i read this article. VEGETARIAN 4 LIFE!!!

• aut says:

meat to me now seems grose and now i eat less meat every day

• Ashley Kay says:

I havent been a vegitarian very long but the “glass walls video really made me commit. I showed it to a friend and she is doing it with me!!!
    Meat?? Never again.

• PETA says:

Re: Jillian: Congratulations on not eating meat for a whole year! That is a great step in the right direction. There are, however, a few things you should know about “organic” and “cage free/free-range” labels. Companies want consumers to believe that products labeled “free-range” or “free-roaming” are derived from animals who spent their short lives outdoors, enjoying sunshine, fresh air, and the company of other animals. While the USDA requires that “free-range” animals have access to outdoor areas, there is no provision for how long they must spend or how much room they must have outside. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products labeled “organic” have been regulated by the USDA since 2002 and must “come from animals [who] are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.” Regardless of what the egg cartons may say, most hens raised for their eggs are subjected to cramped, filthy conditions until their egg production begins to wane—when they are about 2 years old—then they are slaughtered. The “organic” and “free-range” labels are meant to make the consumer feel better about what he or she is eating, but in reality these labels do not guarantee that the animals were treated any better than animals raised in conventional factory farms. Besides, by eating dairy you are directly supporting the veal industry, for a female cow does not produce milk unless she has had a calf. For more information, check out http://www.peta.org/issues/Animals-Used-For-Food/Free-Range-Organic-Meat-Eggs-Dairy.aspx and http://www.peta.org/issues/Animals-Used-for-Food/veal-a-byproduct-of-the-cruel-dairy-industry.aspx.

• PETA says:

Re: Brain washed: Unfortunately, abuse is commonplace in most of America’s factory farms. In regards to hunting, hunters often argue that they are “managing” wildlife, saving animals from death by starvation and disease. While starvation and disease are unfortunate, they are also nature’s way of ensuring that strong animals survive, thus increasing their species’ chances of survival. Natural predators help keep prey species strong by killing only sick and weak individuals. Hunters, on the other hand, kill whichever animals they come across or, in many cases, whichever animals they think would look best mounted above the fireplace—often large, healthy animals who are needed to keep populations strong. Moreover, hunting creates conditions that favor accelerated reproduction: The abrupt population decline that it causes leads to less competition for food among survivors, and ultimately, a higher birth rate, thus leading once more to the very problems that hunters claim to solve. To learn more, visit http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming.aspx and http://www.peta.org/issues/Wildlife/why-sport-hunting-is-cruel-and-unnecessary.aspx.

• madcapcat says:

“I fear animals may be erased from the earth if we discontinue eating eggs and cheese.”

Hahahahaha…you’re just trying to justify it any way you can, aren’t ya?

• Jillian says:

I am committed to a cruelty free world as well. For the past year, I have almost no meat. However, I do believe one can eat cheese and eggs and be humane. I fear animals may be erased from the earth if we discontinue eating eggs and cheese. There will be no need for animals if we do not benefit from them. I think eggs and cheese can be humane if organic. I buy organic cage free eggs and organic cheeses. I have been told that the eggs are not fertilized chickens yet are just by products of animals. I do hope I was provided accurate information. As well, I eat mostly vegan yet do not demand strict vegan food preparation for myself or others. I realize that the world will not become vegan overnight and I am trying to encourage my friends and others to eat more green. I do want to win over the world in large numbers to began eating so I am hoping less strict vegan eating and exacting requirements will encourage greater numbers to eat more green. This way the world will become less cruel and more aware. I am a Christian and believe true Christians do not kill.