Two-Week Vegan Meal Plan

Do you consider yourself “culinarily challenged”? Well, no worries! Our Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus below are designed for new vegans who are not sure what to eat and for longtime vegans who are looking to shake up their current diet and try something new. The recommendations focus on two types of dishes: easy-to-prepare meals with a balance of fresh ingredients and tasty heat-and-serve options.

Week 1

Monday

Breakfast

Oatmeal with walnuts and raisins (most commercial oatmeal is vegan)
Fresh fruit

Take-and-Go Tacos

Asian Fusion Salad
Scallion Pancakes
Spicy Sesame Noodles

Wednesday

Breakfast

Biscuits with veggie sausage (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)
Fruit

Lunch

Tofu “tuna” salad
Pita bread or crackers
Fresh-cut vegetables

Roasted vegetable whole-wheat pasta

Thursday

Breakfast

Cereal with soy milk
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tofurky sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and avocado
Pretzels
Apple or other fresh fruit

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
Creamy Chive Mashed Potatoes
Brown Gravy

Friday

Breakfast

Bagel with nondairy cream cheese (try GO! Veggie brand)
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Ready-made vegan chili (Yves makes a refrigerated version. If you prefer canned chili, try Hormel.)
Fresh avocado drizzled with lime juice

Roasted Veggie and ‘Chicken’ Tacos
Refried beans (look for vegetarian canned beans)

Saturday

Breakfast

Cereal and soymilk
Fruit

Lunch

Pasta Salad

Dinner

Vegan buffalo wings (try Gardein brand)
Ranch Dressing
Baked French fries
Celery and carrot sticks

Tuesday

Breakfast

“Sausage” and bagel sandwich (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)

Lunch

Veggie burger (try Boca’s Original Vegan Meatless Burger)
Mixed-greens salad

Alfredo-Style Fettuccini

Thursday

Breakfast

Nondairy yogurt (try WholeSoy or Silk brand) mixed with granola
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Vegetarian hot dog (try Yves or Lightlife brand)
Rainbow Salad

Shepherd’s Pie
Tossed green salad

Friday

Breakfast

Oatmeal
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tex-Mex Tortilla Wraps
Tossed salad with diced avocado

Dinner

Vegan riblets (try Gardein brand)
Baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Corn-and-Tomato Salad

Saturday

Breakfast

Banana Muffins
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Italian Eggplant Sandwich
Mixed-greens salad

Stir-Fried Tofu With Vegetables
Brown rice

Sunday

Print the Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus.

Want more options? Check out these resources from PETA:

How to Go Vegan

Accidentally Vegan

Our Favorite Products

Making the Transition

VegGuide.org

Snacks

Try these delicious vegan options or check out our shopping guide for other great suggestions.

Desserts

Commenting is closed.
  • Ali says:

I’m a vegan mum – we don’t eat much soy, maybe twice a week – you’ve just got to get into lots of beans and lentils. My son is such a healthy kid. I found The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone really helpful when first switching over. Although the recipes are sometimes quite time consuming. There are lots are great quick vegan recipe websites just google it.

• Joop says:

Hello :)
    My daughter (aged 11) has been reading up about becoming vegan. She’s grown up eating fish and occasionally chicken but for the past few weeks has been vegetarian with an aim to making the transition to being vegan. I have a number of concerns surrounding soy products as well as being able to ensure that she is getting all the nutrients, etc, that a pre-teen needs at this important stage of her development and I was wondering if anyone else might have encountered anything similar and would have the time to point me in any helpful direction!

I would just like to add that we are a busy working family who are looking for inexpensive ways of making this move to veganism. We have an allotment so it’s a start! We are time-poor and cash-poor too so helpful quick, easy and nutritious recipe advice would be great. We are not particularly adventurous cooks (I feel that is about to change!) but thankfully my daughter is not a picky eater (just hates olives!)

I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you for reading. x

• josie says:

eek waaaay too much soy. i have been vegetarian since birth, and am now switching to vegan because my daughter is lactose intolerant (how convenient lol). i would love to see a meal plan that was animal friendly AND healthy for small children, which a diet heavy in soy is definitely NOT.

• a says:

I used to be a non vegetarian.But after seeing and understanding all the suffering that the animals are going through,I decided to become a vegetarian.I still have milk and milk products and eggs.I do want to leave this as well.No living being deserves so much pain and suffering.I think that only way to make meat eaters understand the plight of the poor animals is to make them watch and empathize with the suffering for themselves instead of coolly buying packaged neatly wrapped version of the animal from supermarkets.I feel that schools should take high school students for such trips to show them what actually happens in the slaughterhouses so that they can make an informed decision about their food.

• Alison says:

Soy is considered to be a great alternative and causes “allergies” because of a lack of a digestive enzyme. I have heard and read about nutritionists who can help someone adapt more readily to this food if the problem is an imbalance. Of course you only want non GMO in everything. I have had a fabulously sucessful vegan and soy based diet for over twenty five years. I never get sick or take any medication. A simple sprain or ache goes away within hours. TRY THIS VEGAN AND?OR SOY BASED LIFESTYLE!

• Kelly says:

My family and I eat some soy but I try to limit it’s availability. (I’m the shopper) Soy contains synthetic estrogens which can be bad for boys, girls, men and women in excess. In addition, there is a lot of research that says that GMO’s cause pancreatic cancer as well as a whole host of other digestive problems. So if you do eat soy just keep it to a minimum and try to pay attention to whether or not it is a GMO. You know, lots of new vegan’s and vegetarians eat a lot of soy. It’s kind of a beginner phase. The part of it where you know you reject meat but you are still trying to recreate comfort foods that you have always known as a meat eater. I think the consensus is that when you are transitioning from meat to non meat it’s cool but for optimum health try to trend towards clean, organic whole plant foods and low glycemic breads and stay away from sugar!!!!!!!!

That said, I see a lot about allergies here…. Not sure how many of you have figured this out yet but ALL of us are actually “allergic” to meat. Your body had to get used to meat kind of like how it gets used to allergens when you take allergy shots or life with animals for a long time. Your body had to learn to get used to the bacteria that animal proteins contain that cannot be cooked out in a similar way. SO when you get clean from meat for a long time then you get a bite of meat or eggs or butter or whatever- you may see that your skin breaks out or you start itching all over or maybe you get nauseous. You have a “allergic” reaction because your body shifted it’s focus from fighting ingested bacteria to fighting other things in your environment.

• Bree says:

I would also love an article that gives non-soy options. I cannot have soy either. I would love to become completely vegan, but it is really difficult to do that and avoid soy at the same time. Suggestions would be great.

• Rosemary says:

If you like desserts – try http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com and for scrumptious food try http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/

So yummy!!!

• Charlee says:

@ Krystina – what you are saying is highly rude, just because your family cannot eat soy, doesn’t mean that this isn’t a great article. It is made for those people who do not have allergies and I think that needs to be taken into consideration. This article is meant as a general guideline and for those people who do have allergies it might not be the thing for them and changes to the recipes maybe necessary. I think instead of trolling thoughtfully prepared articles you might want to narrow your search to soy free vegan recipes and stop blaming or accusing people of being bought off by soy companies. This website is meant to help and support people and negative attitudes really do not belong here.

• Krystina says:

You do know that a lot of people are highly allergic to soy correct? I came for ideas on what to feed my newly vegan family and instead leave pissed off and wondering if you have been bought and paid for by the major soy companies. Such a shame.

• Jimmy says:

I am a carnivore through and through but my sister is not. When she visits us (my mom and I) we try to accommodate her choice without just giving her celery and carrot sticks. This two-week plan has been a God send. Thank you.

• MISSEY says:

Hi Cheryl, I would like to know did you stop eating seafood? I too want to stop eating meat and I am just looking for answers and help. Thank you in advance.

• kate says:

I’m just starting my second attempt at becoming vegan one of my problems with veganism is that so many recipes rely on fake meat alternatives and chemical laden substitutes. I really don’t like animal products but I don’t want to feed my family a bunch of chemicals. I’m disappointed that your 2-week menu plan relies so heavily on fake food. The vegan lifestyle is extremely healthy if it comes from the earth, not a factory.

• Cheryl says:

Reply to Will.
    Hi Will, I have been a piscetarian for the past 10 years. Living on a coast, I love seafood and didn’t want to give that up. This is a kinda middle ground, i find, for people who don’t want to give everything up. You could still have dairy too. Maybe this could work for you?

• Deb says:

Hi Will, I felt exactly as you did. It bothered me every time I ate meat. I felt sorry that the animal had to give up its life to feed me when I had so many other options. Our vegan friends recommended that my husband and I rent the documentary “Forks Over Knives”. We watched it several times. After the second time, we were vegans. I was shocked because my husband didn’t ever want to give up meat. He lost 15 pounds and looked 10 years younger! I would recommend renting that movie. And you just have to make up your mind to do it and then keep encouraging yourself by watching similar documentaries or reading vegan books or watching the videos online that encourage it. It will probably be a struggle for a while, maybe even a few years but eventually you can overcome the craving for meat. I actually got to the point where it bothers me to smell it cooking when I am out or at a friend’s home who is cooking it. Just try not to be judgmental of those who have chosen to keep eating it! And try not to substitute junk food for meat but change your overall diet to compliment your new diet. I hope anything I said will help.

• Suzanne says:

What is the daily caloric and fat value of the 2 Week Menu plan

• will says:

I love animals and want to become a vegetarisn. I will not give up eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. and do not wish to debate this. My problem is I am a meat eater by nature, but this is the real problem. I am disabled and live on very little money and can for the most part not cook as per my disability. I have so much guilt eating animals, not to be cool, hip, etc. I just love my cat, all dogs and almost all animals. Although as an atheist I believe humans evolved to eat meat I wish not to. Any suggestions on what I can do to be a non-meat eater. I eat a lot I’m 6’4 and 260 lbs. Please no lectures I just want to stop eating animals. My friend is a dairy farmer and treats his cows like children so I have no problem with dairy, but killing is another thing. Thank you,will.

• DEE says:

The recipes were great – my favs oat squares, enchilada bake, artichoke pasta….http://pinterest.com/deevintage/vegetarian-recipes/

• jean says:

living in Greece for the past 2 1/2 yrs, i must say compared to the USA , Greece is not so vegan & vegatarian equipted

• Jennifer says:

Fake meat has been around a long time and is good enough for people just wanting to reduce fat content in their diets. Awesome in tacos, tomato sauce etc

• Jagdish Mittal says:

Now a days the non-veg are having preferences for veg foods across the Globe

• kathy says:

regarding calorie etc. counts displayed. i think if one eats vegan in reasonable amounts, we don’t need to obsess about calories. simply eat to enjoy and be healthy.

• Janet says:

Really need to know the values: calories, fat, etc.

• mjhcrt says:

find some simple recipes for those who dont eat meat,dairy products….I Live in mount gambier south australia, australia

• SH says:

Not all soy is GMO and not all meat substitutes are bad :) the negative health implications of eating animal products are far, far worse! Make your own informed choices, this is a guide and a great one at that!

• Jacquie says:

Well, I love the food choices in this 2 week meal plan! I am making the transition to eating what my body needs, which is Vegan based. I’m not quite there yet and I realise that my journey to being the healthiest ever is a life-long one. May I encourage you all to do your research as well as asking for it? If this was not the intended message, I apologise for misunderstanding. I see this as a starting point. Thank you! Namasté

• Shirley says:

Is there a place where you can get the nutritional values for the menus? My MD wants me to limit meals to 30 grams carbohydrates and eat 21 grams protein with that. I am having trouble getting the protein without going over on the carbs.

• Tori says:

This seems like an OK meal plan. But it seems like there’s too much bread/processed grains.

• Auntie D says:

I agree with others about the need for truly healthy vegan/vegetarian recipe options. Most soy is GMO and there are health problems with “TVP” or ‘meat substitutes’. Please research your food options more carefully and if you offer people truly healthy choices, you’re going to get a better response.

• Kate says:

It is very easy to live a vegan life by simply making the meals you used to eat and simply omitting the meat. Vege stir fries and rice, salad sandwiches, porridge made with fruit juice instead of milk, salads with chickpeas or butter beans. I prepare my meals with as many colours as possible; purple onions, orange carrots green spinach, red kidney beans, yellow corn. Or beautifully colourful fruit salads. ASlong as you eat a wide variety of plant based wholefoods, you will be sure to get all the nutrients you require. Try to eat organic as much as possible. And enjoy your food!

• Becky says:

I’m like many and have never been a BIG meat-eater, but would really like to give veganism a try. I definitely needed some type of “starter” plan. I agree: I don’t like the reliance on so much processed food, but I’m guessing it’s meant more as a way to “transition” meat-eaters over to a healthier lifestyle. Thanks!

• GMC41 says:

I agree with many here…Going vegan is for a healthier lifestyle, to help the animals and the planet. Most of the things you are suggesting are processed foods and they are not any better than meat products. Soy is that GMO crap and we would like some recipes that are all natural and HEALTHY. Those fake meats defeat the purpose of stopping eating meats. if anything, it would just cause you to just want to eat the real thing again. I ordered the vegan started kit in April and never received it.

• Dalores says:

Can I lose weight if I follow your meal plan?

• Kat says:

Hi Emma! Don’t be overwhelmed by the prospect of being a vegan. It’s worth it! I recommend looking through videos or photos of how chickens are treated on factory farms. Look at their beaks, them in cages, and the infants. It’s so cruel. Do it for the animals and you’ll feel an inner strength that nothing else is going to top! (When I was training for a half marathon; I did it in honor of the animals and kept running even when wanting to stop!) Anyway, if you like the taste of chicken – check out Gardein products. They are very, very tasty (as I found out by accident; they have wheat gluten in them. So if you have celiacs, like me, you’ll not be able to have them). Good luck!

• Shanti says:

I’m not a big meat eater, but would like to stop eating it completely and so looked online for ideas of how to shift certain meat-based eating patterns. Your Vegan Starter Kit seemed like a great way to help me get started but I’m very disappointed in the sample menus and recipes. The heavy reliance on soy and highly processed meat substitutes are far from healthy on many levels. I was expecting to learn how to prepare whole foods in tasty ways. Maybe animals won’t be suffering by eating those substitutes but you’re not doing humans any favors. I hope you’ll consider revising your recipe section to reflect a healthier way to eat, including less gluten, so that others who are interested in making this change can find a truly healthy resource here.

• Christen says:

Hi Emma –

I would suggest watching some animal rights videos about the fur industry and the chicken industry… it will motivate you to not wear fur and to not eat chicken. There are tons of vegetable based chicken products out there these days too! Check your local grocery store – usually in the natural foods section.

• Emma Hannah says:

hello everyone. hope you are all fit and well. i just need a little help with my fur addiction. i wear it all the time.. even in the summer. but i really really reaaaaly want to be a good vegan. i also really like wearing wool. im a very keen knitter and dont know what else to knit with if its not wool. please help.

• Emma Hannah says:

hey there. im really scared and frightened about becoming a vegan because i love chicken sooooooo much but i really am ready for a better healthier life. i love the sound of the Avocado Reuben. thank you. xox but im not sure of what other people think of me and my new decision. im thinking maybe i’ll just be a vegan until i drop a few pounds. my friends hate me because im now a vegan. my mum doesn’t like me either. its so hard being a vegan. your help is much needed. thank you yours truely emma hannah.

• Karen says:

Can you let me know what the equivalent measurement is from a US cup to a UK weight.

• Kelly says:

I am going to try many of these recipes but please verify the products. You are suggesting Morningstar Crumbles which contain both milk and eggs and therefore are not vegan.

• Meg says:

Hi Norma, I’m with you on the not like the vegan fake meat stuff. There are so many really wonderful and satisfying vegan recipes that I just don’t see a need to make “mock” meat dishes. I really recommend the cookbook The Vegan Table, by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It’s my “go to” cookbook for sure. Every recipe is so good, and it’s all just real food.

• Norma says:

I would love to convert to a vegan diet but I am not attracted to fake meats. Seems to defeat the point — like non-alcoholic beer. Any referrals for other menus?

• Misadee says:

Try foods at “Loving It Live” a very extraordinary restaurant near the Atlanta area. Check out lovingitlive.com for details regarding this ecclectic menu of vegan meal varieties all made fresh by order. It is catered to the rawfood vegan crowd, but it certainly goes to exhibit the variety in such a diet change. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, let medicine be your food.

• Misadee says:

• Jim says:

I juice every morning for breakfast, then I use the pulp from juicing to make vegie burgers and taco or burrito filling. Using the right seasons (steak, taco, burrito) you can’t tell that it is all vegies instead of meat.

• Mandy says:

Try making your own black bean burgers instead of buying processed frozen veggie burgers! Very yummy!

• Amanda says:

Yes, why does PETA focus so much on fake meats? I understand that you want it to be foods with mass appeal, but there are plenty of healthier recipes that everyone likes! Potato dishes, salads, pasta dishes, veggie pizzas, casseroles, etc. Not everything has to have a fake meat in it!

• teachertrudy says:

Thank you for organizing a vegan menu plan – very helpful for a new convert trying to make changes. However, after looking at several recipes I must agree with MrsRhoads – the recipes could be healthier, which is my reason for eating vegan. I am looking for recipes that avoid excess sodium and additives.

• Kat says:

Soy farms cause deforestation.

We can’t win. Over population of humans is ruining the earth.
    Even mass farming produce (veggies) for consumption results in culling of native animals and infringement on natural habitat.

• YovelinTaveras says:

To Denise who made her comment on May 24th, try a boiled sweet plantain in the morning with some black coffee with coconut creamer, and if still hungry add a fruit. For lunch, try other ground roots, for example, a root caller Yucca, when boiled with a bit of salt is delicious, marinate some white onions along with some tomatoes and pour over yucca’s. Dinner: have you tried the miracle noodles? Throw Mix of veggies & some organic tomatoe sauce. If your supermarket has a Hispanic food aisle, in those you can find other great vegan foods or ground roots like something called Batista, they are sweet and great for the mornings.