Two-Week Vegan Meal Plan

Do you consider yourself “culinarily challenged”? Well, no worries! Our Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus below are designed for new vegans who are not sure what to eat and for longtime vegans who are looking to shake up their current diet and try something new. The recommendations focus on two types of dishes: easy-to-prepare meals with a balance of fresh ingredients and tasty heat-and-serve options.

Week 1

Monday

Breakfast

Oatmeal with walnuts and raisins (most commercial oatmeal is vegan)
Fresh fruit

Take-and-Go Tacos

Asian Fusion Salad
Scallion Pancakes
Spicy Sesame Noodles

Wednesday

Breakfast

Biscuits with veggie sausage (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)
Fruit

Lunch

Tofu “tuna” salad
Pita bread or crackers
Fresh-cut vegetables

Roasted vegetable whole-wheat pasta

Thursday

Breakfast

Cereal with soy milk
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tofurky sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and avocado
Pretzels
Apple or other fresh fruit

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
Creamy Chive Mashed Potatoes
Brown Gravy

Friday

Breakfast

Bagel with nondairy cream cheese (try GO! Veggie brand)
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Ready-made vegan chili (Yves makes a refrigerated version. If you prefer canned chili, try Hormel.)
Fresh avocado drizzled with lime juice

Roasted Veggie and ‘Chicken’ Tacos
Refried beans (look for vegetarian canned beans)

Saturday

Breakfast

Cereal and soymilk
Fruit

Lunch

Pasta Salad

Dinner

Vegan buffalo wings (try Gardein brand)
Ranch Dressing
Baked French fries
Celery and carrot sticks

Tuesday

Breakfast

“Sausage” and bagel sandwich (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)

Lunch

Veggie burger (try Boca’s Original Vegan Meatless Burger)
Mixed-greens salad

Alfredo-Style Fettuccini

Thursday

Breakfast

Nondairy yogurt (try WholeSoy or Silk brand) mixed with granola
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Vegetarian hot dog (try Yves or Lightlife brand)
Rainbow Salad

Shepherd’s Pie
Tossed green salad

Friday

Breakfast

Oatmeal
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tex-Mex Tortilla Wraps
Tossed salad with diced avocado

Dinner

Vegan riblets (try Gardein brand)
Baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Corn-and-Tomato Salad

Saturday

Breakfast

Banana Muffins
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Italian Eggplant Sandwich
Mixed-greens salad

Stir-Fried Tofu With Vegetables
Brown rice

Sunday

Print the Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus.

Want more options? Check out these resources from PETA:

How to Go Vegan

Accidentally Vegan

Our Favorite Products

Making the Transition

VegGuide.org

Snacks

Try these delicious vegan options or check out our shopping guide for other great suggestions.

Desserts

Commenting is closed.
  • MrsRhoads says:

This may be a great menu for people just starting to become vegan, however I find it very unhealthy. Fake meats are processed and very unhealthy. I can see having maybe a few of the recipes with mock “meats” however this entire 2 week menu is filled with mock meat recipes. I’d rather eat whole foods and meals without fake meat. Just my opinion.

• Raylene says:

The difference between a vegan and a vegitarian is that a vegan does not eat anything that is made out of or comes from an animal. like honey is made by a bee so a vegan will not use it. a vegan will also not use any leather or silk and so on.

• aggio says:

I like this is a great site my partner has just sign up with you Lately I have started personalized weightloss mentoring after going from 114kilos (17.13lbs) to 88kilos in 9 months. My lifestyle and mindset have changed dramatically, so I know I can see any man’s reasons for thinking that they are stuck with a shape and looks that does nothing to help their health and future.After losing weight I can now go back to playing football and most sports again, physically I am getting back to being a young man again and enjoying the fitness and freedom that it gives me.also i found this site good on tips as well it what you get that counts my Favorite quotations “Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat.Jim Davis”

• denise says:

I agree, I am a vegan because I want to eat fresh, healthy, unprocessed food. I find it difficult to find variety. I eat copious amounts of avocadoes and homemade humus made with tahini and eat alot of grains,any suggestions would be gladly received.

• Ashlee says:

Is vegan and vegetarian the same thing??
    Thinking of making this change to my lifestyle but I am curious of all aspects of this
    Help please?

• Becky says:

I want to try vegan but I am also gluetin intolerant and lactose iintoerant. Staying away from milk products is no problem, but just about every menu plan includes some sort of glue tin/wheat dish.

• Ali says:

I’ve made the banana muffins a bunch of times, and they are very good!

• MissLuna says:

Well, this plan is meant for people (like me) who don’t have the liberty of buying all the good things. I live under my mother’s roof and she will not pay for stuff that she doesn’t agree with. I doubt she’d object to some of the things mentioned

• NaturezGifts says:

Your recipes feature a lot of processed foods–I can’t help thinking there are healthier options than Pillsbury quick-baking biscuits, for example. Maybe the recipes can be qualified with a recommendation to use them during the transition phase to a whole foods lifestyle.

• soso says:

if you want a good vegan diet go to http://www.toneitup.com and order the vegan diet, they explain everything and even give you a grocery list!

• Alba says:

Is there any possible way to construct a vegan menu without resorting to food substitutes nearly every meal? I don’t get the point of avoiding meat by eating fake meat. I really wanted to start vegan with simple foods, not ready-made store-bought packages.
    Plus, why NOT add a little creativity? That’s what makes food interesting. A lot of these meals seem pretty bland. When I’m starving at school, I’d like to have something in my bag that beats the cafeteria food.

• VegJo says:

Not only nutritional values, but contents too. Like what is the fake meat made of. I want to work with real food, not “fake” food. Thanks.

• sam139 says:

i also like the shopping list idea, thats what im trying to figure out now is what to buy at the store and how much

• maybevegan says:

I was looking over these recipes, and contemplating the vegan lifestyle. I want to go vegan, but these recipes sound really gross. Not to be rude, but i’m really a simple foods kind of person, and these look a bit extreme. If anyone knows a site with more simple recipes, not ones geared toward foodies, i would appreciate some guidance. Plus im pretty sure, being the southern belle that i am, that most if not all major name brand prepackaged biscuit companies use lard in their products. (Which is gross)

• Rachel says:

Just wondering if you could make a shopping list for the two week vegan menu? It would really help us get started:)

• Jyotsna Sharman says:

Would it be possible for you to provide us some booklets to promote vegetarian nutrition during the Annual Meeting of Arkansas Dietetic Association? The Vegetarian Nutrition – Dietetics Practice Group (VN-DPG) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is having a booth/table at this meeting which is going to be held April 25-27, 2012.

Thank you.

Arkansas State Coordinator
    Vegetarian Nutrition – DPG

• Helutka67 says:

I Love the receipts and 2 weeks menu but could you pls add nutritional values?

• Miranda says:

Trying to just eat vegetarian/ vegan diet but very hard as I have a WHEAT ALLERGY any ideas pleas email me thanks. I live in the uk
    p.a.n.d.a.08@hotmail.com

• kimberly says:

I started eating Vegan about 24 days ago for health reasons for myself (fibromyalgia) and to help my brother in law who is dying from Lupus….we both are feeling better,we have lost weight and enjoy eating this way…..I will prob stay Vegan for life

• Suzanne says:

I am so thankful to PETA for the vegan recipes! I live in a small town and many of the needed ingredients are not available to me but I can leave some things out and still have delicious food. I love animals. They do not want to be murdered for their flesh. I live in a farming area. Meat is all these people know. The cruelty is awful. When asked, I explain my beliefs about animals in a non-threating manner. It is an uphill battle, but thanks to PETA and other animal protection organizations, we are gaining ground.

• andrea says:

i live in mexico and here i don’t know where can i get these products, can you help me a bit?? thank you!!

• LYDELL says:

yea i hate processed foods here’s a great place for free tips that really helps

• cocobarbie1 says:

First day of the peta pledge.I dig the slimdown menu.I will definately not do any carbs in the recipes.I love the morningstar crumbles.

• Christine says:

Animals should be loved not eaten. I eat a vegan diet however I avoid soy products ….

• Max says:

Great recipes, thank you PETA. Helped me get to a size 6, pure delight :)

• Smart Nutrition says:

Disappointing! There are a lot of processed foods in this meal plan.

• Zsuzsa says:

It’s a start, but we can do better than this. PETA is about loving and caring for animals and their needs and rights. Let’s not forget that we, the humans, are animals too and we need to treat our bodies well. And that means feeding ourselves nutritious, unprocessed, whole foods that are good for our bodies and our tastebuds! :)

• Ashley-P says:

We recently “revamped” our two week sample menu feature, and as part of that update we removed the slimming menu. However, you can browse hundreds of free recipes in our online database here: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/recipes/default.aspx Check back often because new recipes (complete with photos) are posted every week.

• Jennifer says:

I have been a vegetarian for 10 years, and I feel better than ever. Thinking of moving closer to vegan, but I LOVE raw honey. Ugh.

To the person who says vegetarianism makes them “feel bad”: You have to eat right to feel good. Whether you’re a vegetarian or not. Maybe you were missing something?

• Sue says:

Hi,
    Can you please tell me where I can find the 8 weeks slimming weekly menus.

• Juliet says:

COuldnt PETA find healthier receipes than ‘mock meatloaf’?!!! One can eat a scrumptious healthy vegan meal without adding crap like white bread or ketchup!

• chander kumar soni says:

i am vegetarian from last 7 to 8 years.
    i will stood vegetarian whole life.

• Mary says:

I’m a vegetarian, and after browsing the entire 2 week vegan plan, have to say, you recomend lots of canned and processed products, making hard for lots of vegetarians or vegans to follow your recipes, many of this products don’t exist in my country, and personally, i don’t eat meat ’cause i don’t like it, so the whole “faux meat” in the recipes don’t make me very enthusiastic to try any of them

• Sue says:

Can you please tell me where I find the slimming weight loss eight week recipes.

• Jesica says:

I have tried vegetarian twice and it makes me feel bad. I also find it more expensive.

• Olivier says:

Salut, cela à l’air très bon. J’ai vu une recette de Pancake végétaliens sur le site en dessous, il y a aussi de nombreuses autres recettes végétaliennes. A voir et goûter! :http://macuisinevegetalienne.blogspot.com/

• Diet Patch says:

Cool Stuff! Thanks for the week plans i like the week 2 plans. For better dieting needs your better foods chart which can help you to get rid off the fatty ones!

• ktlane42 says:

@mtpockets There is a film called Forks over Knives that really helped me better understand the benefit of a plant based diet. I highly recommend it. I have only been meat and dairy free for two weeks but it has been wonderful so far. The best advice I can give to a fellow novice vegan is to make several dishes over the weekend so that you will not resort to unhealthy choices out of desperation during a busy week. I hope this helps and good luck to you!

• Ani says:

Might I suggest two cookbooks that have helped me tremendously:

“Seven Secrets Cookbook: Healthy Cuisine Your Family Will Love”
    by Neva Brackett (Available at Amazon.com)
    &
    “Cookin’ Up Good Health Recipe Collection”
    by Donna-Green Goodman (available at http://www.stillshoutin.com/)

Both authors have been my go-to authorities for years when I’m looking for healthful, tasty foods. The recipes are good! They also give practical advice on the why’s and how’s of vegetarian cooking. With a little preparation & practice,I’m sure you’ll find something your family will enjoy.

• Fran says:

Sure, some of the products use eggs but the point is to help people transition and many people are more likely to be more open to a vegetarian diet than a vegan. If you can’t get people to stop eating meat, then it’s best to get them to eat less meat ie meatless Monday’s plus vegan fake meats don’t taste as good to me

• GAGirl says:

I am very surprise to see that this site is nothing but a promotion site for these “non-meat” products! And some of these products use eggs as a binder I would stay away, there are many, oh so many true vegan dishes that you can cook without being process by a factory. Falafel is a great meat substitute (I could eat that daily) among many other dishes, very disappointed by what I found here I was looking for vegan meals. I’ll stick to Mediterranean vegan dishes and Indian vegan foods that you actually have to rinse and chop and peel but also is delicious and nutritious

• mtpockets says:

I’ve had two heart attacks in 4 months. 1st almost died had open heart surgery with triple bipass. 2nd one was 5 days ago and they were able to place a stent. My cardiologist is recommending a vegan diet because of my severe heart disease. My cholesterol is low and has been. I never have eaten a lot of fatty foods or used much salt. Problem is I like cheese and eggs and other animal products (which I know is frowned upon on this site.) I need help. My husband is a meat and potatoes southern boy. Eating a heart healthy diet has been hard since August. But I want to live a longlife and I’ve been told a vegan diet can help reverse heart disease. Please help.

• nursedonna says:

I do not want to participate in the murder of animals for my consumption as food. If I raised an animal I could not kill it to eat. I believe all animals have souls and feelings. I am trying to get off meat, it is difficult. I am looking for plan and recipes I can live with.

• Katie Carr says:

I agree with a lot of the comments. I am trying to stay away from a lot of processed foods. I went vegetarian to be healthier and I would love to see a menu that included more whole foods. I don’t want to sub in another food for meat – I want something new and wonderful!

• JDavi says:

@ AGirl: I TOTALLY agree. I think using fake meat is good maybe once or twice a week, but every day is prolly not much of a step up from processed foods containing meats. Plus they are usually too salty. Blegh. But Michaela has a great point: Making your own fake meat products (especially patties for burgers) can be extremely healthy and preservative free. Nice!

@Dan_C: My memory as well got a lil shoddy. I’ve been taking iron supplements to support healthier blood (which fuels a healthy brain) and eating spirulina (found in algeas). Spirulina is common in Naked Green Machine juice and the likes. It contains B12 which supports our brain functions. Also be sure to get plenty of protein from nuts and legumes. Humans developed larger, more efficient brains from increased protein consumption. Definitely from hunting and eating animals, but now a days we don’t have to eat like that (thank goodness!) I’ve been a vegetarian for 6 solid years, and I do notice my memory isn’t what it used to be. But reading up on what makes our brains work will help you understand how to keep it sharp as a tack.

• Monica says:

Hi there! ok, please go easy on me!! I am not currently a vegetarian, but REALLY REALLY want to transistion myself and my family in that direction, and would like to know…I can NOT do tofu…I mean currently I am a bacon ADDICT! I know reading that, you may have just thrown up in your mouth a little, so sorry! Anyway, I am wondering, is all the ‘faux’ stuff to substitute meat even really ‘good’ for you!?

• Mikki says:

Is it possible to have a print-able version of the Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet? I’d love to be able to post it on my fridge. Thanks!

• michaela says:

I really think that soy products are a great way to help meat eaters make the transition from meat to veggie. Of course it’s better to eat whole foods like legumes and beans – but don’t diss the efforts of baby-steps just because they’re at a different stage than us. People need time and support to stay vegetarian, and pushing them too hard in the beginning is a great way to make people give up! That said – you can make you’re own “fake soy products” by getting to know items like mashers, corn starch, flour, and spice mixes!

• Dan_C says:

I have been a vegetarian for 6 and a half months now and I’m really glad I decided to become a vegetarian for animal rights reasons.
    In the last month or so I have noticed my memory is pretty ordinary. Has anybody else experienced this and if so how did you fix it?

• AGirl says:

Too much preparation and cooking, too much processed food, too much “fake meat.” PETA must receive a lot of financial support from the health food industry. People need to learn how to eat conveniently from whole foods. Tofu is not a whole food; neither is bread.