Two-Week Vegan Meal Plan

Do you consider yourself “culinarily challenged”? Well, no worries! Our Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus below are designed for new vegans who are not sure what to eat and for longtime vegans who are looking to shake up their current diet and try something new. The recommendations focus on two types of dishes: easy-to-prepare meals with a balance of fresh ingredients and tasty heat-and-serve options.

Week 1

Monday

Breakfast

Oatmeal with walnuts and raisins (most commercial oatmeal is vegan)
Fresh fruit

Take-and-Go Tacos

Asian Fusion Salad
Scallion Pancakes
Spicy Sesame Noodles

Wednesday

Breakfast

Biscuits with veggie sausage (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)
Fruit

Lunch

Tofu “tuna” salad
Pita bread or crackers
Fresh-cut vegetables

Roasted vegetable whole-wheat pasta

Thursday

Breakfast

Cereal with soy milk
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tofurky sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and avocado
Pretzels
Apple or other fresh fruit

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
Creamy Chive Mashed Potatoes
Brown Gravy

Friday

Breakfast

Bagel with nondairy cream cheese (try GO! Veggie brand)
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Ready-made vegan chili (Yves makes a refrigerated version. If you prefer canned chili, try Hormel.)
Fresh avocado drizzled with lime juice

Roasted Veggie and ‘Chicken’ Tacos
Refried beans (look for vegetarian canned beans)

Saturday

Breakfast

Cereal and soymilk
Fruit

Lunch

Pasta Salad

Dinner

Vegan buffalo wings (try Gardein brand)
Ranch Dressing
Baked French fries
Celery and carrot sticks

Tuesday

Breakfast

“Sausage” and bagel sandwich (try Lightlife’s Gimme Lean sausage or Gardein’s breakfast patties)

Lunch

Veggie burger (try Boca’s Original Vegan Meatless Burger)
Mixed-greens salad

Alfredo-Style Fettuccini

Thursday

Breakfast

Nondairy yogurt (try WholeSoy or Silk brand) mixed with granola
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Vegetarian hot dog (try Yves or Lightlife brand)
Rainbow Salad

Shepherd’s Pie
Tossed green salad

Friday

Breakfast

Oatmeal
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Tex-Mex Tortilla Wraps
Tossed salad with diced avocado

Dinner

Vegan riblets (try Gardein brand)
Baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Corn-and-Tomato Salad

Saturday

Breakfast

Banana Muffins
Fresh fruit

Lunch

Italian Eggplant Sandwich
Mixed-greens salad

Stir-Fried Tofu With Vegetables
Brown rice

Sunday

Print the Two-Week Sample Vegan Menus.

Want more options? Check out these resources from PETA:

How to Go Vegan

Accidentally Vegan

Our Favorite Products

Making the Transition

VegGuide.org

Snacks

Try these delicious vegan options or check out our shopping guide for other great suggestions.

Desserts

Commenting is closed.
  • Veganbychoice says:

Thank you for the wonderful menu suggestions, I am always looking for new healthy meal ideas and I found both the two and eight week meals plans and recipes to be very useful!

• brenda says:

Christine,
    I toowas on the verge of kidney failure. I’ve been on the transplant list for 6 years.Last year at this time I was schedule to have a peritoneal dialysis catheter placed. My good friend is a match and transplant was to be in December.I knew this was not the way I wanted to feel or live. I completedly overhauled my diet to an alkaline based diet. My creatinie dropped from 3.1 to 2.4. No dialysis. I am currently running about 2.5 but my creatinine is very protein sensitive. I tried to eat egss, cheese etc but it bumped me up. Now pretty much vegan and doing well. My advice and waht I go by is not to be numbers oriented. Many MDs wanted to initiate dialysis bc of my creatinine. I said no and went according to how I felt. I have no uremic symptoms. Last year I went through a bad patch where I did so I sought surgeons. Then God directed me to the plant based diet and I can attest to the fact that it works. Don’t get discouraged, try it and see the only thing you hsve to lose is the threat of dialysis. God bless you.

• Christine says:

I am on the verge of kidney failure due to a car accident years ago. Am very restricted in my diet, no bananas, oranges, avocados,spinach, melons, etc. How do I get the vegetarian diet so that I can use eggs and dairy products from good sources, eg. SPCA approved free range, organic fed eggs?

• OrganicGirl says:

Jack, you can get your B12 in nutritional yeast, which is a better source than from animals anyway. Animals do not directly produce B12; it grows on the bacteria that lives on the animals. Nutritional Yeast is a healthier (and safer) version.

• Jacki says:

PETA, if you want to encourage people to be Vegan (not vegetarian) please advise on the health concerns for nutrition. Yes, you can be a healthy vegan but it takes meal planning to get all of the appropriate nutrition. Also, please include more information on the importance of B12 supplements on a vegan diet. There is no plant based source of B12 for human absorption. This is very important for those new to a vegan lifestyle to understand.

• erin says:

at the end of the day, they’re just giving suggestions for what to eat. those who are ‘culinary challenged’ probably don’t have the best variety in their diet or may not care whether they’re getting enough protein! if you know how much protein you need to eat or whether you’re against soy because it’s gmo, do your own thing and don’t bitch on these comments, or don’t go on this site. i’ve been vegan for three years and simply it’s nice to see some new recipe ideas.

• Rosemary Gleydura says:

I would like to have more vegan recipes so that I can have a good varitey.

• Jeff says:

This menu has some flaws… mainly with the breakfasts. There is a huge lack of protein. Fruit and a banana nut muffin is not a complete breakfast. You need be getting protein with EVERY meal you eat. There are many ways for a vegan to get protein. I do not recommend this diet at all.

• jlincoln woodard says:

I want to become a vegan

• jlincoln woodard says:

I want to become a vegan

• Kat says:

I am meat eater but I used to eat meat from farms. I am hungry if I avoid it. Looking through recipes & movies here I have choice not healthy v.s. not healthy.
    Lets take Gimme Lean Beef. What is healthy about:
    ” textured soy protein concentrate, soy flour, tapioca starch, soy sauce (water, soybeans, salt, whole wheat), less than 2% of: caramel color, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, barley malt extract, yeast extract, salt, dried molasses, onion powder, garlic powder, soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, cellulose gum, onion, vital wheat gluten, xanthan gum, soy milk powder, natural flavor (from plant sources), torula yeast”.

Soy is GMO, not good for us too.

What to eat then?

• Lucy says:

I have to agree with Patti O. I was looking for ideas for my daughter who has been vegetarian since the age of five. She barely remembers meat, and finds the meat substitutes disgusting.

• kimixxdance says:

I have been vegetarian for a few months now, and I would like to switch to vegan. I think that it will be hard for me because I’m only 15 and live in an omnivorous family, but my mom does support my vegetarian habits, so I think that I might start being vegan one day a week, then two, then three, then four, then five, then six, then seven days! I know this will be a hard seven weeks, but I’m ready!

• Peggy B. says:

I knew that animal meats were hard for me to digest. I know
    this is going to be my healthy lifestyle diet.

• Revo says:

I think that this is amazing, I often struggle with what to eat. I am curious about the nutritional info as well. I’d really like to know if this was made by a nutritionist or just someone w/great ideas for vegan food. In addition to portion sizes, I’d like to know how well balanced the menu is; if it will meet a person’s overall nutritional needs in a healthy balanced way.

• Patti O. says:

This menu is littered with processed crap!

• Leslina says:

Been vegan for ten years now and still feel wonderful. I will never go back! I adapted all of my Mother’s home cookin’ recipes into vegan ones and my hubby and I live pretty happy.

Tips for being a life long vegan.
    Almond milk is great in cocoa, cereal, smoothies etc…
    I make pretty good vegan sugar cookies
    Guacamole is a great substitute for cheese in Mexican food
    Sourdough bread!
    melted Organic pure dark chocolate mixed with a little Grand Marnier and dip some strawberries in there…FONDU on my birthday!
    Vegan mushroom sherry gravy is awesome on mashed potatoes
    Took Mom’s Sweedish meatball recipe and created veggie balls. Pour the gravy on those too!
    mix fruits and nuts into your salads and try different vegan dressings.
    Almost any favorite dish can be made vegan, just ask.
    Morning star garden burgers are our all time favorite
    Add cashews and pineapple to your stir fry
    vegan Enchiladas
    vegan chilli
    veggie sushi
    veggie Tikka Masala and other Indian dishes
    Falafel pitas
    Vegan burritos
    veggie fajitas
    pesto cheeseless pizza
    lentil soup and chive biscuits
    Red potato salad
    Thai curry
    pasta with sauted vegetables
    vegan lasagna
    the possibilities are endless. Stick with it!

• strawberries says:

Hey Keira, I am also a tall, thin girl and always have been (173cm, 54kg). I felt like I was starving for a few weeks when I went vego but I think it has a lot to do with thinking about what you are going to eat all the time and eating so healthily. Eat nuts and dried fruit and seeds and lots of carbs. Drink soy milk. You will be fine. Three months in and I am exactly the same weight I have always been and feel great. Hope this helps.

• Zydecosabrina says:

I have been a vegan for a week now. Went vegan cold turkey. I watched Food Inc. And some other shows about what the animals have to suffer. I have found it very easy so far with finding plenty of things to eat without using fake meat or cheese or tofu. Things I don’t think I will like. It all started off with searching for green smoothie recipes, then I discovered raw foods, plant based foods. Starting learning all the benefits of a plant based diet and how healthy it is for our diets. So far I have made fresh almond milk, ice cream using soy yogurt and frozen fruit and green smoothies in my vitamin blender. I eat salads, various kinds of rice with veggies, I made a spaghetti sauce full of veggies, a minestrone soup. You can have pasta dishes. Burritos, avocado sandwiches. Ezekiel makes vegan bread. Hot or cold cereal with soy milk. I really don’t like the taste of vanilla soy milk but I use it with the brown sugar malt o meal and you can’t taste it. Didn’t like it with oatmeal at all. I watched Change your food change your life by Vegan-gal. Wonderful movie. Its on netflix or you can order on Amazon. My husband has liked everything I’ve made so far and is open to trying vegan dishes. He did have a hamburger the other day away from home and I asked if he thought about the cow. Ha ha. If he at least cuts out most meats and dairy and is happy with what I make at home I will be happy. I just ordered a book called How to become Vegan. Very interesting. I am excited to be on this new path! I also have osteoporosis and quit taking Fosomax. Now I hear dairy is a big contributor to osteoporosis. Good luck everyone with your veganism
    some shopping steps, demonstrates some recipes, shows how to order vegan while dining out.

• Melissa says:

I think its common for all newbie vegetarians and vegans to feel like there starving at first.It took me over a year period to adjust.I try at least one thing new every time I shop.The two week sample vegan menu on this site sounds good.Im going to try a few.Morning star makes great griller burgers and vegi chicken.But there is egg in some of them.Quorn makes great vegi chicken some contain milk not all.made from mushroom.Its so good.Add coconut milk or almond milk to cereal.And make smoothies with them.With sugar and vanilla are the best.Both will make me gain weight.I mix vegi meat in tasty bite indian meals.whip up in minutes.some contain milk.portobello mushrooms fry up with a little olive oil and mix with anything.Ill eat fruits in between meals not as a meal or I will starve.Whole grain breads for sandwiches.Nuts and seeds for snacks.In time you will be fine.Hope this helps a little.good luck.god bless.

• nic girl says:

go to peasandthankyou.com for great vegan recipes!!! Seriously it changed my life, nothing I have made off of there has been bad.

• tgoforth says:

Hormel? Don’t support Hormel

• Keira says:

As far as I know, we need to eat cooked food at least once a day,it is better for our intestines . How should I find out the truth about eating raw food, and less cooked food? I am confused now. I have also heard that most of our veggies in the shops are so badly manipulated that the vitamins and minerals in them are just not enough for us to live on. I would like to become a vegan but after omitting animal products for a week I feel like I am starving, no matter how much I eat, and I am way too thin already (169cm/49kg). Everybody tells me to put on weight. Who can help me?

• Kay Brooks says:

I have heard about Vegan diets or a way of eating without meat I seen a clip the earthing & got really sick I can not believe all I seen it was a little to much for me at that time. I want to really become a vegan I love animals just too too much to see what is really going on. so I have seen the change in Ellen she really looks good. so I signed on for a month. I really want to make it. I will probably be the only vegan in the house, but I m ready for a change for myself health wise too. Thanks so much for sharing.

• danagee says:

just2rel – how about sprouted breads? When I was going thru cancer treatment I ate Ezekiel bread.

• .just2rel says:

I have cancer and started to look in to vegan, i am needing guidance in food how to select or even how to prepare foods. I have been eatting salads and just started fruits. I like to look like Im eatting something other than a salad I cant have salt sugar oils or dairy. What do i look for.. I love bread is there a bread for me.

• vegancoco says:

Thank you for posting this article.

• Gaia says:

Jen: You don’t NEED time to cook in order to have healthy meals. It is actually healthier to eat uncooked foods rather than cooked foods. Your best bet is to go buy fruit and vegetables, eat them plain or make salads or sandwiches. I have been a vegetarian for 5 years and am now a full fledged vegan (and pregnant, I may add). My fiance and I eat fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts and grains all day. Our snacks consist of mainly fruit. Or, I make my own vegan wheat bread and we make sandwiches out of that (even just a PB sandwich is vegan…depending on the bread you use. By the way ALWAYS read the ingredient labels. Also, avoid packaged foods as much as you can). You should look into REAL vegan food though, rather than the stuff that uses the overly processed fake meats or cheeses. That’s what I would call a “junk” vegan. Fake cheese is nasty (we make homemade wheat crust pizzas without cheese, and they’re delicious!), and so is most fake meat. Though, fake meat, like Seitan isn’t too bad for you and we use it once in a while, but not very often.
    My mother is seriously overweight (I would say obese) and so are the majority of the members of my family (mostly because of their diets. They are all being diagnosed with heart problems and Type 2 diabetes). I recommend reading The China Study by Dr. T Colin Campbell as well as Food Revolution by John Robbins. I think everyone would benefit from reading those two books. There is also one more book called You Don’t Need Meat, but I don’t remember the author. We found all of these books at the library, so you wouldn’t even have to buy them.

• jenn says:

I recently read the book Eating Animals, and I’m attempting to go vegan. I’m 22 and still living at home, and I’m finding it quite difficult being that I can’t exactly afford to buy all my own groceries and my parents wont go for buying all this food that they wont eat. I’m a college student with a job and I don’t have a lot of time to really cook. I wish there was a more simple, faster way to eat full healthy meals without having to deal with all of the processed kind of food. Does anyone have any suggestions? It looks like I don’t have much of a choice but to make time to cook.

• Mins824 says:

Be sure to check out Falafel Republic’s falafel (Gluten-free, dairy free, vegan)found in BJ’s, Big Y, Roche Brothers, Costco, and Demoulas and WholeFoods very soon!
    E-mail michael.maguire@orcfoods.com and I will send some coupons to your home address.

• Ali McCannell says:

I like this menu, but I would suggest you post it as a pdf with the recipes listed under the title so readers don’t have to click each dish to get the recipe – if I wanted to print this all out, it would be very time consuming

• Emily says:

What a great article to post! I did have one suggestion however. Most of these recipes (as many vegan recipes you see online) use a TON of ‘fake meat’ and ‘fake cheese’. While I love and use these products in moderation myself, I would like to see more recipes using the goodness of unprocessed foods such as a variety of beans and legumes, whole grains, and of course fruits and veggies. :)

• goorganic says:

That much soy stuff will fry your thyroid. Look for stuff not containing soy.

• susan quave says:

i am going on a vegan diet that is low protein low salt diabetic. help.need menu plans free .

• Beverly Harris says:

You didn’t mention Mrs. Meyers products as cruelty free–it says that on all their products.

• xofox says:

I am glad I found this section because I did my first vegan food shopping and I almost lost my mind looking for foods to eat. However, I did find some good stuff. Now that I have found this section I can use it to help with my shopping. Now it would be awesome to find a coupon resource because alot of the products were very pricey. Im excited and happy to have started my new journey to a greater living….Thank you PETA

• Melissa says:

Plant Pure frozen dinners are the best! http://plantpurefoods.com/

• Curious says:

Hi, I would like to make a small observation. These recipes are labeled “vegan” and it is my understanding that means NO animal products or by-products. Why then, would one suggest meat-substitutes which contain egg whites? (Read the ingredients found on various manufacturers websites.) That seems a little misleading to me. Just curious.

• Ulala says:

I stopped consuming meat 6 months ago and am new to this still learning how and what to eat.I have to admit I feel so much better and have noticed I am so much calmer.I am transitioning slowly and eventually would like to be vegan.I’m not sure what pushed me but, so thankful and happy I did.

• Mason says:

This looks like an awesome assortment of meals and recipes. I will admit, I still eat animal products (force of habit) and this will help to to make the transition to a vegan lifestyle.

Also, as a first time (almost) vegan, is there any advice you can give me? Diet Do’s and Dont’s?

• Kim says:

These recipes look easy and contain ingredients that are easily found and accessible. Some vegan cookbooks have so many “weird” and unobtainable ingredients they discourage me from even trying to go completely vegan. This will help me to keep my 2011 resolution to no longer eat any animal products! Thank you!

• Jaime says:

I appreciate the sample menus – great idea – Thank You!
    However, much of these recipes have soy, processed soy and gluten ingredients – this makes the transition for me especially challenging because I’m gluten and soy and corn intolerant.
    For anyone with similar limitations – google vegan recipes – gluten, soy and corn free. The recipes are out there – you just have to take a little time to hunt them down. Good Luck.

• bananilla says:

I am encouraged to see the vegan menus and all those who try them but these vegan menus depend heavily on meat and dairy replacements. There are many many vegan recipe blogs out there that use few meat replacements and far more veggies!

• Cernunnas says:

Yeah, I agree with new veggie. This whole idea and the website are great, but please don’t recommend using GMOs… they’re usually used by companies that test on animals and don’t care about the environment or the third world!

• slimming recipes says:

Wow!!! lovely recipes, I generally do not like to dig on vegetable, but this really sounds interesting.

• colette o'neill says:

I hate diets but look forward to getting some good recipes to work with!

• xVEGANx says:

I love your 2 week vegan recipe guide. The foods are wonderful, but why I do have to skip breakfast on Sundays? Is this is an assumption that vegetarians and vegans don’t go to church? Or maybe it’s an assumption that vegetarians and vegans go to church without eating. Well, I must be the only vegan that goes to church having had breakfast. ~PxSxExV~

• new veggie says:

I really like your website, but your vegan menus have products like Boca, MorningStar in your recipes those products have GMO in them which mean they are unhealthy. (Genetically modified organism) you can go to non-gmo shopping guide and find alot of products that are gmo free, meaning it can be engineered with genes from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals, or even humans.

• All about vegan says:

Where are the 8 week slimming menu plans? They were absolutely brilliant and my housemates and I were only half way through…

• veg girl says:

What happened to the 8-week slimming menu plans? I really loved those…