Top Five Tips for a Vegan Christmas Feast
The following article was written by Keegan Baur.
This Christmas, are you looking for quick, easy, and delectable vegan foods to serve at your holiday meal or party? Whether you’re vegan or you know someone who is—or you just want to “test out the waters”—here are some suggestions for irresistible, cruelty-free fare for your holiday get-together.
1. Succulent main courses: There are plenty of ready-to-eat choices, but PETA’s pick is Gardein’s new Savory Stuffed Turk’y. Other flavorful options include Turtle Island Foods’ Tofurky Roast and Field Roast’s Celebration Roast.
2. Veganize the classics: You can easily use vegetable stock, vegan margarine, and unsweetened soy milk to veganize family favorites such as stuffing and mashed potatoes with gravy. In bread and savory dishes, use Ener-G Egg Replacer instead of eggs, and in sweet baked goods, use apple sauce or bananas. Refer to these articles for more specifics on replacements for dairy products and eggs.
3. Divine desserts: Decadent nondairy, egg-free desserts from New York City’s famous Candle Café are now available at most Whole Foods Market locations. If you purchase all four varieties, I only wish your guests the best of luck as they struggle to choose between Chocolate Mouse Tart, Raspberry Linzer Tart, Vanilla Cheesecake, and Chocolate–Peanut Butter Tart. If there isn’t a Whole Foods near you, make your own vegan desserts at home.
4. Cruelty-free cookbooks: If you choose to whip up your own vegan dishes, I recommend picking up The Kind Diet by vegan Alicia Silverstone or The New York Times bestseller The Conscious Cook by vegan chef Tal Ronnen.
5. And of course, you’re always more than welcome to browse through the hundreds of vegan recipes on PETA’s website.
As you prepare to host one fabulous holiday fête, keep in mind these convenient suggestions, which are sure to please your palate and keep your conscience clear. Merry Christmas and happy party planning!
Too busy to go searching for tasty Thanksgiving recipe ideas? Sign up to receive PETA’s holiday menu and we’ll send you a recipe a day for seven days, providing you with the inspiration that you’ll need to create a delicious, cruelty-free Thanksgiving meal. To get started, text THANKS to 73822 (U.S.) and your first recipe will arrive shortly. Happy Thanksgiving!
*Message and data rates may apply. Text STOP to end. Text HELP for info. Periodic messaging. Full terms are at http://peta.vg/txt.