Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’

Written by Ashley Palmer | May 30, 2012

Looking for a healthier (and kinder) alternative to chicken wings? Try these juicy, tangy, and spicy buffalo cauliflower “wings”!

Deliciously versatile and with just enough “kick,” these bite-sized pieces of cauliflower offer an eerily similar experience to eating chicken wings. With all the flavor and none of the guilt, this is a secret-weapon recipe that every vegan cook should have in his or her kitchen. Enjoy!

SpicyBuffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’

1 cup water or soy milk
1 cup flour (any kind will work—even gluten-free!)
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil or melted vegan margarine

• Preheat the oven to 450°F.
  • Combine the water or soy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.
  • Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes.
  • While the cauliflower is baking, combine your buffalo sauce and olive oil or margarine in a small bowl.
  • Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
  • Serve alongside vegan blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.

Makes 4 servings

Commenting is closed.
  • Larney says:

I love this website, I’ve been vege all my life (so 11 years as i’m only 11) but at the beginning of this summer converted to vegan after my dad being vegan for 8 years. This looks amazing, every now and then my family let them cook for them, definitely gonna try this sometime!!!

• Bakeca Incontri Roma says:

I adore this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

• ShellBeans says:

I found this a while ago, it is a snack I cook regularly. It has helped me through my crippling addiction to hot wings. Mostly because it tastes cleaner and lighter in my opinion. My non vegetarian friends love it too! I win!

• Le Legúm says:

is it possible to deepfry this or will it only work in the oven?

• David says:

My girlfriend and I made these, and they’re amazing.

I recorded the calories of all the ingredients, the whole recipe has about 770 calories and could easily feed 3 people. That’s if you don’t serve it with ranch or blue cheese.

• LS says:

What’s considered a “serving” and how many calories?
    Thanks!! Can’t wait to try this!!

• Molly says:

The first few times I made these, I used- as they suggest- a shallow baking dish, one like you would use for a cake. I just tried it using a baking sheet, and the texture is way better.

• Vegan Gypsy says:

Wow!!! I have been craving a wing substitute, was unsuccessful until now. These are amazing! I posted a review on my blog, they’re so good I needed to share!

• Kat says:

Firstmate – “vegan blue cheese” is vegan ;) Don’t worry. It’s understood that it’s not real cheese. Because there are mock meats and dairy alternatives, there should be no confusion when someone write “vegan cheese” or “vegan chicken.” By definition, it’s not dairy cheese or REAL chicken ;) Obviously not talking about animal products…

• Brittany S. says:

Just made these for Sunday afternoon football. Delicious! If the sauce is too hot for you try replacing 1/2 cup of the hot sauce with 1/2 cup of ketchup. It was perfect for me. =)

• Emily says:

Wow!! These rock. I used ranch since blue cheese is not my thing, but I did bake them and they weren’t real crisp so I ended up frying them. Best recipe ever!!

• alli says:

Dear Peta-
    Thank you for making my life so delicious.
    Love and kisses,
    Alli

• john says:

@firstmate youre preaching to the choir my friend. we are all vegan/vegetarian

• Nomeat4me says:

Thank you for Sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to try it, it looks so yummy my tummy is growling!!!

• Jackie says:

Absolutely delicious! Perfect replacement for hot wings!

• Brittany says:

I made these twice. I used buffalo wing sauce the first time. They were soooo spicy that my top lip was literally burnt (like a sunburn on my lip) for a few days so be careful with the spice level. I just made them again and use Frank’s sweet chili sauce. They aren’t “buffalo” chicken like however they are super good and perfect for people who like low/moderate spice.

• Healthy Pet Products says:

Wow the Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’ are looking really good – HOT too – I like spicy treats thank you

• Local Jim says:

Frying them works very well as well. instead of wing sauce try using a sweet and sour sauce for a different unique style too.

• Hosting en Chile says:

It look yummy, thanks for sharing.

• Ayjay2006 says:

Just made these with my husband, they were wonderful! I used gluten free flour, so the time in the oven needed to be extended, but otherwise perfect!

• ShyaFish says:

Coat each piece individually. If you just dump them into the flour mixture and stir it around and hope for the best, you won’t get “the best”. You’ll get uncooked globs randomly sticking to things and it’s not too delicious.

Besides my (too hungry!) haste in coating these, they turned out pretty edible, though 18 minutes wasn’t long enough for them to have “an eerie similarity to chicken wings” at all. They were still coated, crunchy cauliflower.

• Alanna says:

YUMMMMMM!

@firstmate Are you serious? You do realize that vegan blue cheese is called ‘vegan blue cheese’ instead of ‘blue cheese’ because it is VEGAN?? As in, it’s not actual cheese. Yeesh!

• Brooke says:

@firstmate : Yes, it is wrong for you to try and inhumanely ‘eradicate’ rats from your home.
    @eat eat : Watch the Paul McCartney Glass Walls video. Duh.

• bakeca italia says:

Yummy…this looks amazing!

• Shell says:

This was so yummy! I dont normally eat cauliflower- but drenched in Franks buffalo sauce- anythings possible. Five stars!! Thank you for a more healthy alternative.

• Automobile Accident Lawyer says:

YUM!!!

• Hunter says:

I found a HUGE lack of flavor when I made these. They also ended up making me really sick. And I followed the directions down to the T!

• firstmate says:

You misuse the trem “vegan”. I once sat next to an airline passenger who declines to include honey in her meal. A real vegan!

What the heck is vegan blue cheese??

Cheese comes from cows.

My mother gave me her milk and my wife gave my son her milk.
    Would they be disqualified from being vegans?

Inside my body, without my permission, living animals are being killed and consumed [this is a normal part of human digestion and the immune response].

Where, exactly, do you draw the line? Plant? Microbe? Insect (should I swat an attacking mosquito?. Is it wrong to use that wonderful New Zeland manuka(sp?) honey for my wife to treat her persistant infection?

Is it wrong for me to eradicate rats infesting my home?
    Is it wrong for me to use flypaper to reduce the number of disease-carrying insects in my kitchen?

Where, exactly, do you draw the line?

• Abhigyan Mukherjee says:

Hi,

Its a kind of mouthwatering fritter that one can have..

Regards
    Abhigyan Mukherjee
    Indian Cuisine-Made easy for beginners.
    Cooking made easy to all beginners.My blog will not only have common and traditional recipes,but the recipes will be very detailed and meticulous

• Shirley Gregov says:

i HAVEN’T HEARD OF BUFFALO SAUCE, IS IT A SORT OF CHILI SAUCE?

• Epidemic says:

These aren’t wings, balls or nuggets maybe.

• eat eat says:

Where is your proof that we are not supposed to ue animal for food, clothing, and other things? Just curious…

• Lil' CS says:

I have been looking for the perfect vegan/vegetarian wing recipe and, quite frankly this is not it. Although I prefer it to recipes using seitan, this one needs some MAJOR adjustments. First, grease the baking dish. Otherwise you will have a sticky mess, and you’ll end up with more batter on your pan than on your “wings”. Second, the ratio of hot sauce to oil is way, way way off. I love hot, and I love wing sauce, but this is like taking a shot of straight hot sauce…heartburn city. I would definitely decrease the amount of hot sauce and increase the amount of oil to taste. Finally, and this is an obvious one, be sure to cut each piece uniformly so the cauliflower cooks evenly. I suggest small enough to get a good coating but big enough that it doesn’t fall apart on you, maybe 2 bites or 1-inch pieces.

• Obat Asam Urat says:

Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’

• Christina H says:

I have some cauliflower at the market I work at and this sounds like a fun recipe to try! I’ll report back once I do!

• Gatita says:

These look and sound delicious. I plan to make them this weekend, but was wondering if one could cook up some frozen cauliflower then bake them as instructed? I only have frozen at the moment… Thank you for this recipe!

• barbara says:

This recipe is hot! I love hot and spicy recipes and this will surely be added up in my recipe book. Thanks for the recipes, I also wanted to share some of healthy and nutritious recipes which I found at GOURMANDIA and GOURMETRECIPE.

• Shane says:

To print: Copy and paste the text into any word processing program (Word, Notepad, etc.), and print from there. Or, you can just highlight the text you want to print, and click on Print/Selection. It’s not really that difficult, people.

After cooking, what kind of texture does the cauliflower have? Soft? Mushy? Crunchy?

• Kendallk11 says:

These were amazing! I added some cayenne peper and some other spice to the batter as well to add a little kick – so good!

• brewmaster says:

Looks great and I will try. How about an easy way to print. (keep in mind some of us use Ubuntu) thanks

• Amanda Overton says:

This sounds great! How many would the calories would be in this? Thanks!

• Drwhiskerson says:

I just made this and was not disappointed…even my meat eating boyfriend had to admit that they’re “not bad.”. I am a whimp so i used sweet chili sauce instead of real hot sauce. I didnt even have the vegan dressing on the side…theyre also good without dressing if you cant find vegan ranch, etc..

• Sandy Feet says:

This sounds great and I am going to make it this week end. Is there an easy way to print these?

• Drwhiskerson says:

Im going to the store tonight to get the ingredients. Makes my tummy growl just looking at this, lol.

• Amy says:

I ran home and made these last night after seeing the recipe– they were AWESOME! And they were so easy!! I will definitely be making these again soon!

• R.Nicodemus says:

Cannot wait to try these I have beeb craving wings since giving up animal products. My mouth is watering at the thought of these!!

• christy says:

This sounds like it would be really good. but i dont like spicy food. so i wonder if i would make these more like the BBQ “wings”?

• @JexyVEGETARIAN says:

yummyyyyyy! love cruelty-FREE food! VEGGIE FOREVER!!!!!!!! <3

• jan roberts says:

wish this had a print button!

• Melissa_davis6 says:

I’m SOOOO making these! Been missing my chicken wings after becoming veg a year ago lol. Awesome! <3 Thank you so much for this!