Vegetarian Recipes and Food

There’s no mystery to creating deliciously satisfying vegan meals. Tasty alternatives to the animal ingredients that you may be cooking with are easier to find than ever, and many are as close as your corner supermarket. We’ve put together a shopping guide to help you find the perfect ingredients to make mouthwatering vegetarian meals and quick-and-easy snacks.

If you’re just getting started, you may want to try simply “vegging up” your favorite recipes. Try tofu or seitan instead of chicken, ground vegetable burger crumbles instead of hamburger, marinated portobello mushrooms instead of steak, and soy milk instead of cow’s milk or cream. We have a stockpile of vegetarian recipes to help you on your way to becoming an expert vegetarian chef.

But there’s no reason to stop there. By investing in some good vegetarian cookbooks (you might borrow some from your local library first to see which recipes you like), you can broaden your horizons to a whole new way of cooking. Americans tend to center their meals around animal products out of habit or custom, but cuisines from other parts of the world focus more on grains, vegetables, and beans. Think about it—there are far more types of vegetables than there are types of meat, so why limit yourself?

Whether you’ve gone vegan “cold turkey” or just want to add more healthy, plant-based meals to your family’s diet, we have the secret—and not-so-secret—tips you need to take the guesswork out of vegan cooking. Use our resources to find the perfect meat, dairy, and egg replacements. Then try some of our recipes to make vegetarian dishes that you and your whole family will love!

Commenting is closed.
  • Tanu says:

I love animals

• Pura Santiago says:

I want to be vegan but I have acid reflux and I can’t eat spices, fat, tomato nor sauces, chocolate and your recipes have ápices and tomato sauce. I only season with salt, cilantro, oregano and parsley. I give color to food with bijol.

• kiki jaiah says:

I’m I want to be vegan but I’m a vegetarian now but I don’t know and I hate soy milk.

• Alena says:

Oleg, look up “Vegan Scrambled Eggs” and you will find many recipes online for great scrambled eggs! mmmmm!!! Plus there are lists of “egg replacements” online, which show egg replacements for baking only. But, if you are looking for something to sink your teeth into that tastes like egg, a great way to go is Tofu, fry up a chunk of it on a frying pan and put a little black salt on it! mmm Black salt is definitely the key to egg replacing! It makes every vegan egg recipe better! It contains sulfur that you can taste…You’ll love it!

• Jemima says:

I totally agree with you Kyra. I often think that also. A supermarket near me don’t agree with testing animals and all their products are BUAV approved but I think it’s weird and contradicting that that don’t agree with testing on animals but then they agree with killing them and selling their meat…..

Why is meat so accepted??

• Kyra says:

This I don’t understand… I watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet, okay? People get in trouble, charged, and or arrested for animal cruelty, right? But the people that abuse and kill animals for food, they dont get in trouble. I don’t get it.

• marlon says:

You are what you eat.

• Oleg Pavlenkov says:

please tell me, what can replace the eggs?

• AnimalLovingemoteen says:

I find it quite disturbing the ways animals are abuised

• Bunnies are cute says:

I like the recipes on http://veggiecooking.com because they are full of fresh vegetables and don’t have soy, and there’s a nice pie crust recipe with olive oil that doesn’t use hydrogenated shortening.

Soy isn’t good for the thyroid and it has plant estrogens that aren’t good to consume in large quantities.

• Ava says:

Hi, I am 10 years old and hate animal cruelty. For the last few weeks i have been handing out information about ways to prevent animal cruelty. I hate fur,meat and circuses. When i grow up i am going to help the animals and try to stop people from buying fur and other things like that. I live in sweden and a lot of people here wear fur.
    / Ava

• Emma says:

Hi, I am 15 years old and a vegetarian. When I turn 16 it will be about 2 years, since I have taken a bite of meat or eggs. I have tried to explain to my brother why I don’t eat meat. I can’t seem to convince him that animals have feelings to, and that they experience everything a human does. Getting to the point, I received a magazine from PETA. I plan on giving it to him, because it explains more than I ever could. I am totally for this organization. I hope to help give donations when I get a better job. Thanks for giving me some hope, that there are animal protectors out there. When I am old enough I hope one day I can help more, and more.

• Jess says:

Why can’t we love all and have compassion for all beings with whom we share this earth? I know I do. I’m a nursing assistant who takes care of developmentally disabled children and young adults everyday and I want to become a nurse to help people heal and feel their best when going through difficult times, and I am also a person who believes in loving and respecting animals. They, too, feel pain, get sick and suffer. I choose not to eat animals for this reason because I don’t believe that 10 Billion animals should be forced to lead such horrific and painful lives. Would you want a friend, family member or family pet be forced to live in confinement, in his own filth, eating the same thing everyday, only to die prematurely by having his throat slit by a complete stranger. (Not to mention the mental and physical toll this has on the people who work in slaughterhouses.) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and I believe this golden rule extends to all beings. Animals are not machines. They feel pain like we do. They experience joy like we do. They have personalities. They have their own unique abilities.

In the words of Whole Foods CEO, John Mackey, “Eating animal products causes other beings to suffer, and we don’t need to eat animal products to survive. In fact, we’re better off without them. I don’t want to cause unnecessary suffering.” In a nutshell that is why I don’t eat animals. Each of us has an enormous capacity to care for and have compassion for all humans and animals. I am empathetic to all those who suffer-human and non-human animals.

• carol says:

yes, many of us care more about animal life than we care about greedy, vicious humans. Why ? Humans make their own misery..They keep having babies, they can’t/won’t care for.Animals love us unconditionally, regardless of money, looks, handicaps, etc.. They are always there for us.

• jenni hunter says:

@ Temi: I promise you if people were on the menu “us guys” would not want to eat them either. Can’t you understand that the belief is that we should not torture , kill and/or eat sentient beings? That includes people, children, dogs, cats, chickens , fish etc. I would even say we must be gratefull and respectfull of the plants we eat – after all we cannot create them ourselves. First, do no harm, in thought, action or deed.

• Temi says:

Peoplee love animals more than their fellow human beings now… that is what I have against you guys

• Jojo says:

I have been wanting to go vegetarian for years, because it’s part of my beliefs. My problem is that I love making omlettes and I like eating eggs and I don’t want to feel like I’m not a true vegetarian because I don’t want to give it up. I have no problem not drinking milk or eating cheese because I am lactose intolerant but eggs are different. I have other vegetarian friends who consider people who do eat eggs and fish non-commited vegetarians. My question is can I still call myself a vegetarian even if I eat eggs and fish?

• puja says:

The torture that these poor speechless, helpless animals and birds go through is indeed very cruel. My mouth used to water on seeing a beautiful picture also of a non veg dish, but now on seeing such cruelty to our poor animals that they go through my eyes have started watering. I have made up my mind and promise to give up eating NON VEGETARIAN food.

• Rosie says:

I have just learnt about this all so soon. And realized i will be a veteran forever. I will never eat meat again. Also slowly learning how to be a vegan… My friend and I are excited for this and hoping that we can convince other friends:)

• maritza says:

I used to eat alot of meat but when I say this video in peta i realise that how cruel people can be and my family and I decided to stop eating meat and become vegeterian.Peta im thakful that your website opened my eyes and keep the fight to stop all different animal abuse.

• cmbelli says:

idreaminpink: I thoroughly encourage you to try veganism! Its incredibly liberating and honestly one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I had similar difficulties when I considering switching – its definitely a journey but before you realize it, you don’t miss any of the things you were once so attached to it. I used to eat yogurt every. single. morning. for breakfast and not one have I missed it. Discover new and yummy things! Be a little crazy! It takes some time, but once you do it it feels amazing. I have never felt so light, healthy, energized, and alive.

I have also had many digestive problems (they even treated me with IBS); however, once I stopped eating dairy and other nasty foods all my problems subsided.

Nutrients can be a worry and at first, it takes a little bit more effort and conscience than usual but like anything, it quickly becomes a habit and effortless. Many of the nutrients provided in dairy can be found in other foods, such as grains, beans, and green vegetables. Many soy- and nut milks are calcium fortified if that is one of your concerns. For extra comfort, you can take some multivitamins for any extra gaps.

Also, don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Let it be a fun, new adventure – not a pain. Try going vegan for a couple days of week and find some great recipes to try out to get your footing. Its a process and its important to be patient and understand that. I recommend getting a couple vegan cookbooks to help you out. I especially recommend The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. I made my entire transition through her and its been fantastic! I especially recommend the pumpkin bread and moroccan couscous.

Good luck and best wishes!

• idreaminpink says:

I have a question about veganism…I’m trying to go vegetarian. I’ve considered going Vegan but I really love cheese and milk and yogurt and I don’t see how I’d be able to get the nutrients I need without them. I also want to make sure my digestive health is in tip top shape because I have digestive issues. This is a reason I’m considering it but I’m not sure If I can. Could anyone help me out with these issues?

• Ashley-P says:

CelticL: Cows—like all mammals—need to become pregnant in order to produce milk in the first place. “Dairy” cows are impregnated every year so that they will produce a steady supply of milk. Whereas in nature, the baby drinks the milk that the mother produces, humans take the calf away from the mother cow and drink the milk intended for her baby. Cows wouldn’t need to be milked if we didn’t take their calves away from them or impregnate them in the first place.

• CelticL says:

People keep saying that cows, like humans, have to be pregnant to produce milk, but it’s NOT true. After giving birth, milk can be produced for many months, as long as the breasts/udder are stimulated. I know, because I nursed both of my children solely for their first six months of life, and for many months after that
    along with other food.

• Samuel Phiri says:

An excellent blog indeed for us vegan. For interested in more vegan recipes and video demonstrations for cooking eg vegan black sesame seed cookies please visit http://www.cureyourself.net/2011/07/black-sesame-seed-cookies.html

• Eliza Winters says:

Almond milk is really good. I rarely do any sort of milk though. I love teas though. I have this really cute whistling tea kettle so it’s fun to make too. If I end up drinking milk though it’s always almond milk.

• Jess says:

ab98: thanks for asking! The cow’s milk is meant for therir babies so when we steal it, the babies are locked in crates and then killed for veal. The cow’s are over-milked and not allowed to graze, or even allowed access to proper veterinary care. Their udders often become infected and thus dairy milk contains traces of pus and blood. Sad.

• kamikaze1/2vegan says:

i would be hardcore vegan, but NO ONE in the WORLD makes vegan MEXICAN CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ‘QUESO FRESCO'(fresh cheese)TO BE EXACT!!!!!!!!! D:<

• isis.skyy says:

@Ab98- thank you for asking such a great question. The problem with dairy is that cows, like humans, have to be pregnant to produce milk. So, besides being in deplorable living conditions, they also are kept pregnant constantly. the calves are either used to replenish the herd, used for veal, or killed for no reason(in a horrid way). then, after the cows are deemed expendable, they are disposed of. pretty much the same situation as egg-laying chickens(to shed a bit of light on that as well). i hope that answers your question.

• Ashley-P says:

Cows—like all mammals—need to become pregnant in order to produce milk. “Dairy” cows are impregnated every year so that they will produce a steady supply of milk. Whereas in nature, the baby drinks the milk that the mother produces, humans take the calf away from the mother cow and drink the milk intended for her baby. Cows wouldn’t need to be milked if we didn’t take their calves away from them or impregnate them in the first place.

• ab98 says:

Hey, I don’t really know much about vegetarianism, so I might seem sorta ignorant, but I don’t really see what’s wrong with dairy. I can understand meat, but what’s wrong with milking a cow? Sorry if I sound really ignorant, but I’m just undereducated about animals for food

• kitcatsmom says:

@emthesquirrel; Almond milk is quite nice. I switched a while ago and haven’t looked back yet! And yeah, rice milk is very thin.

• VEGVAL says:

For Sarah Nicole- im 16 and ive been a vegitarien for over 3 years now. My friend told me about veganism and i always thought it sounded crazy, but i read a book on it and learned alot more so i decided to try being a vegan just for Lent. The first few weeks were weird since i was so used to cheese and milk(i LOVEED macoroni and cheese and pizza) but it got easier and im sticking to it. ive been vegan for a few months now, so my advice is to ease into it. Start off slowly eating less and less animal byproducts until you get used to it! its really not too hard once you get use to it, and you feel great! good luck :)

• Ozzie says:

the Vegan cheese recipe in PETA’s cookbook is very good. I found it much fresher tasting and edible than store bought Vegan cheese which is imported to Australia from the US.

• DreGunn says:

Thank you nice person for the meat salad, video….

• TMM2613 says:

at emthesquirrel There is a lot of misinformation regarding soy and estrogen levels. If you research this, you will find that soy contains phyto hormones, that is, hormones that occur naturally in soy that actually promote hormonal health. This misinformation is promoted by the Dairy and Meat industries. My M.D. promotes vegetarianism because it is easier on kidneys, heart, and as an added bonus you don’t age as quickly. Most vegetarians look an average of 10 years younger than their chronological age. Don’t buy into Madison Avenue’s lies about needing protein, soy reducing estrogen levels, etc.

• emthesquirrel says:

I am just starting to make the crossover to vegan from pescetarian and am finding it quite challenging to cut out dairy. I have heard that soy milk interferes with oestrogen levels and I find rice milk very thin for tea and coffee. Any suggestions or am I just being a brat?

• against niceperson says:

Whatever you do, don’t go to the link suggested by niceperson! it is a link to a completely revolting youtube video called meat salad. Usually I’m not offended by others eating meat but this video is horrible.

• K says:

The Dayia vegan cheese is really good. I am new to being vegan and I love this brand.
    I have bought the cheddar and I think it is the mozzarella. Excellent.

• Dettelyn says:

I became a Vegan three years ago and I am the only one in my family or my friends that does not eat animals or products that come from animals–I simply say I do not eat anything that has “eyes” except potatoes :) My life changed drastically one day when I was watching the Ellen Show and the two authors from Skinny Bitch were on promoting their books. I went out that day and bought the book, read it, and started my new life the following day. I cleaned out my refrigerator and pantry and donated the food I no longer wanted. I do not preach my vegan lifestyle to anyone, they have to feel it in their heart to want to be healthier and most of all to protect our wonderful animals and stop the cruelty. I lost 40 pounds over a period of 9 months. Eating out was a challenge for a long time until I started talking to restaurant managers and owners and requesting special preparations. I have even had the chef come to my table and ask me how I wanted my dish prepared. They all seemed delighted to please their patrons. Now I find that many restaurants in my area have vegan entrees. I really enjoy the way I feel and do not let anyone intimidate me.

• Jojo says:

Do you have a Vegan cookbook in hardback that i can buy, or that you can recommend, containing the easiest / most popular recipies?

• Josph says:

I am a vegetarian for the last 26 years. I have no need or desire to eat dead animals. There are so many options to eat good food at home or outside. I usually don’t tell other people what to eat and what not to. The other day I was in a Chinese restaurant for a business meal. All the food was ordered in advance and I wouldn’t eat it. The waitress offered to take the pieces of chicken out of the vegetables. I refused. Then they brought in a large basket full of fruits. I was happy. I am still happy today.

• NewVeg says:

For Alina (and anyone else interested) I’ve just recently heard of a cheese product called Dayia that is supposed to act more like real cheese when melted. Good for vegan pizzas, lasagnas, etc. You might like to try it! I haven’t ventured out to get it yet, but I’ve read some great reviews on it.

• SarahNicole says:

Hi everybody(: All my life I wondered about eating vegan recipes other than the recipes I ate before. I regret to say that for the last 13 years of my life, I’ve eaten meat. I never gave thought to what these animals go through to give us food, but is the food they give us really that nutritious? Also, before I saw anything on the PETA website, I believe I was an animal lover. I thought that the only thing you had to do to love animals is be concerned for their safety. Little did I know that the little work I did at local aspca and shelters was outmatched by what I ate everyday. Anyway, Only until I saw the video, narrated by Paul McCartney, “Glass Walls”, did I realize what the meals I eat put animals through. This is the first time I am going vegan. I’m not sure whether to take it slow or just stop cold turkey. I realize if I stop it, cold turkey, I would feel better; Knowing that I stopped right away and played a small part in stopping animal cruelty. However, If I do inch into eating vegan, I think it would be much easier for me. Overall, I believe that with the help of PETA and their great resources, anyone could become vegan; as long as they have the drive. If anyone has any tips for a teenager going vegan, please please please email me at sarahnicole41@hotmail.com

• ASmith says:

I cannot live, with killing animals, and refuse to ever believe that eating any of them could be nutritious. As for dairy, and eggs: I also refuse to believe that anything we eat, produced by anything (anyone) who was enslaved to produce it, could nourish us, either. Show me a cow, chicken, or whatnot, who wants to give their biproducts to us for nourishment, and I will venture away from vegan. Otherwise, you are the one who should be enslaved or murdered! -AJS

• vet_morgan says:

is that even good im a vegie tarian my self so idk?

• Alina says:

I was a vegetarian for many years, and raised my kids to be. I know I need to go vegan, but am so attached to cheese. If you have a recipe newsletter that you send out, I would love to receive it. I dont need cheese substitutes, I know its just a matter of getting in the habit of eating other things. If I have some good recipes maybe I can ease myself into what I know is the right thing to do. Thanks.

• Bolie says:

I could not find the recipe for vegetable spring rolls mentioned in your recent magazine. Where can I find it? Thanks!

• Kim says:

I agree with Susan. I had tons of saved recipes waiting to be tried and now they are gone and I can’t seem to find some of them on your new site. The old website was so much easier to navigate. I doubt I’ll continue to search for recipes here and will now solely rely on vegweb.com. Bummer- I really liked vegcooking.com

• tucsonsak says:

what happened to your colorful.lively and inviting user-friendly web site..I loved it, as a new vegan it was my road-map to good health…your new site is not as organized, user-friendly or inviting…low fat menu guide was great..reprint for those of us who we in the middle of the plan…please. thanks susan