Most KFCs in Canada to Offer Vegan Chicken!

No joke. You read that title right. As a part of our KFC campaign victory in Canada, most Canadian KFCs will start offering a vegetarian chicken sandwich.

The Classic Vegetarian Sandwich, which can easily be made vegan by asking for it in a wrap and with no mayo, should be available some time in July. I don’t have any more details at the moment about which company will be making the vegan chicken. Also, I hope that all of you Canadian readers will try it out as soon as it’s available and let us know how it is. I personally have never found a vegan chicken I don’t like, and I suspect this one will be yummy too.

Read more about PETA’s KFC campaign victory in Canada here.

Commenting is closed.
  • Dolores Bardot says:

I really hope australia does this, i use dto work at KFC for 3 years and trust me they are dodgy. the employes i worked with spat into the chicken si i doubt they will all of a sudden care when its to do with vegan choices….i wont take the chance of eating something cooked with flesh and thank god i am vegan now :)

• tangogirl says:

I find ludditrobots comments are the type that actually would turn a lot of people off from exploring veggie lifestyles…and this will offset and negate whatever high-minded goals he or she has to convert people…why not try a bit more positive and less relentless attitude?So many people who become veggie do it in stages, I know I did, and to be honest one of the main reasons that it took me so long, was because of exposure to angry self-righteous veggie ranters! It was because I had really negative vegan roommates who were so relentless in their scorn for anyone who was less than perfect at vegetariansim that I didn’t want to end up like that……I don’t know, seems kind of counter-productive to always view things in such a cynical way. I think its great that KFC, for whatever reason, listened to PETA. And you bet that I am going in there and eating one of those faux bird sandwiches even if it grosses me out; the world is not won in a day:)

• moi says:

Well I’m in England, and I haven’t heard anything about it happening over here yet.
    If it does, I very much doubt I’ll eat there. At the end of a night out, I might go and buy chips, but always from the chip places which have signs up saying they cook them in vegetable oil and separate from the meats, and I am too grossed out to have ever eaten from one which has those kebab things that rotate, or anything with chicken in the name..
    I really wouldn’t want to buy from KFC :/

I can see how it’s useful though, say for kids going places with their friends, to get something veggie when everyone’s going somewhere for lunch. I find I rarely go to veggie places (not that there are many :( ) just because some people don’t wanna try it.

I read the pdf file, I don’t like anything they wrote, but I can understand why they did though in order to convince KFC to change.

Oh I’ve written too much, I’ll stop!

• Gary says:

The potential for reducing both animal suffering and consumption here is huge.

KFC is practically synonymous with fast food chicken and if over 600 KFC stores display their vegan main course option prominently on the menu it could mainstream vegan chicken like nothing else before. If KFC advertises the product even a little bit, that could have a major impact also. If it sells well, then KFC stores in the US might follow suit, as might KFC’s competitors. The potential upside could be millions of chickens saved.

Yes, there have been fast food attempts at veggie options (as well as meat options) that have failed in the past, and the KFC vegan chicken could fail. Or it could take off, like Silk soymilk. I think it will depend a lot on how much – if any – KFC promotes and presents the product.

Regarding CAK – the main point is that it eliminates a slew of heinous end-of-life tortures. If PETA had to sell KFC on the business aspects of the process to get KFC to make the switch, so be it.

Also, there are mitigating factors. KFC as well as a hundred other organizations are also working on reducing demand and promoting vegan alternatives to meat. In the meantime, we owe it to the billions of chickens stuck in the food system to reduce their suffering where possible.

• aspcia says:

ludditerobot:
    Call me crazy but I believe less contamination and longer shelf life means less chickens being killed. The ideas you mentioned are great, but didn’t pertain to KFC. For some people as soon as you mention PETA, vegan, or even vegetarian they think you’re a ‘dirty hippie’, but all of a sudden a restaurant they’ve been going to their whole life has a meatless option… hmmmmm? I’m sure there are going to be plenty of people who are going to try it – who never would have in the first place. I just hope it tastes good – otherwise it could bite us in the arse. It’s understandable to be angry about what’s going on, but you can’t let the anger cloud your message. You’ll end up pushing people away, and we’re all on the same side here. I know working with these companies that are responsible for the living hell that thousands of animals live and die in isn’t easy or fair, but I believe it’s important to work both sides of the coin. Meaning working on outreach to lessen and put a stop to the consumer demand and at the same time working with companies to bring some relief to the animals – and yes, that does mean pandering to want they want. Increased profits. As long as people can change, so too can the world. But it won’t be overnight! My mother in law still asks me if I want chicken just about every time I go over there during dinner…..! *sighs*

• Carlinne says:

I don’t like KFC, but more people going in there might choose the vegitarian sandwich over the chicken, more chickens saved in the end? I am a vegan and live by one of the KFC’s that now have this sandwich, tried it, liked it, and it was cooked in a different area away from any of the meat they had, I was watching them do it, the pattie was pre-breaded and heated in the microwave. We would all like the world to go meatless, but is won’t happen. Baby steps folks…lets hope this sandwich catches on.

• maggie says:

why would you support kfc by eating there. if you really cared you wouldnt give them your money

• Sue says:

Why support a restaurant that further supports the cruel industry of factory farming, etc etc.

I agree that it’s a step. A small step, and the small steps hopefully add to the larger picture.

But….. It’s hard to support a restaurant such as this chain. I can’t do it.

• Wendy says:

I see this as a step in the right direction. KFC isnt going to shut their doors anytime soon. The suffering and death of chickens isnt going to happen anytime soon..

Soooo…perhaps some of you need to look at this in a simpler way. It offers those that arent yet Vegan, those that are perhaps only JUST considering a vegetarian lifestyle, those that have a conscience, a choice to NOT eat meat.

I think it’s definately a step in the right direction.

And to those that want to jump in here and break apart what I’ve said or comment…

We are all entitled to our own opinion. I am a PETA advocate, I do believe in the ethical treatment of animals. I do see this (especially with someone like KFC)

• ludditerobot says:

@ aspcia: And I’m shocked that you’re *not* appalled by an animal “rights” organization appealing to animal exploitation industries to kill birds in particular ways to increase their profit and improve slaughter efficiency! Did you read the PDF I linked to earlier? If not, here are some excerpts:

CAK increases product quality and yield: Because birds are dead by the time they are shackled (and because there is no dumping at all), product quality and yield are improved …

CAK would nearly eliminate contamination because birds would be killed in transport containers rather than being dumped and would, therefore, not be scratching at each other and would be unable to inhale in the stun bath or defecate in the scald tank. This has significant benefits for producers since, according to the USDA, in 2002, almost 5.5 million chickens were condemned for being contaminated.

Using inert gases induces anoxia on the cellular level in carcass muscles, which can change oxidation/reduction potentials and, thus, lead to increased shelf-life of meat due to a slowing [sic] the development of odors and discoloration.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency states that controlled-atmosphere killing “is also reported to produce more tender breast meat than when electrical [immobilization] is used.

The same document then goes on to point out how gassing chickens will not only allow for more chickens to be killed, for their corpses to last longer on the shelf and to be more tender, but will also lower labor costs, reduce employee turnover, and reduce the cost of extended refrigeration by allowing for “earlier filleting.”

If all of this — coming from an “animal rights” organization — is not appalling, it appears that word no longer means anything.

This comment is already long enough, but as for alternatives, I’d note that several have been offered: for large organizations like PETA, aggressive vegan outreach and the underwriting of vegan restaurants, to name two. For vegan activists, widening the circles of discussion, bringing these issues to the forefront of our communities, podcasts, Web sites, pamphlets, protests … all the modes of incremental change rising from the bottom up and involving people’s specific communities and spheres of influence.

Over time, all those individual actions and everyday vegan activism — including the most important form of activism, going vegan itself — are far more important than anything the big national groups do. As this case demonstrates, a lot of what those big groups do are not only ineffective, but damaging and, yes, appalling.

• jessica says:

we need to try to make the kfc in united states make a vegan menu!

• aspcia says:

I hear a lot of complaining but no solutions to offer along with it. Would you have preferred PETA to ask them nicely to close their doors? And ludditerobot, I am shocked that you are appalled that PETA approached KFC with a “cost-benefit analysis”. KFC is out to make money and they are making it! KFC isn’t doing this because of some heart breaking video, they have no reason to give into PETA’s request unless there’s a benefit in it for them. PETA would never get their foot in the door otherwise. It’s important to have skeptical people who will point out flaws, but those same people need to offer an alternative otherwise they aren’t helping anyone. I challenge anyone who’s complaining to come up with a viable solution. And I hope there are plenty! Until then, this is a step in the right direction. My husband is an omnivore and when we want a quick bite to eat it can be a hassle finding someplace both of us can get satiated (there was one great vegan drive thru we both loved but they closed !! arrrgghhhhh). I’ve been vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for the last 3 and being the only one in my circle of family and friends that eat and live this lifestyle – I know it’s important to be open and forgiving.

• ludditerobot says:

I’m guessing KFC isn’t planning to write me back anytime soon. As for preparation, anyway, it appears others are reporting back first:

“I live in Calgary, AB and I was really excited to try the new vegan KFC burger. I called my nearest location to see if they carried it and then asked them how they cooked it. They said they fry it up in the same fryer as the meat. This was very upsetting and I just wanted to pass this news along as I think it might be something that should be posted since it kind of defeats the whole Vegan thing. I still applaud PETA’s efforts but thought it might be info that should be passed along to others were are also a little misinformed.”

This isn’t relevant to my original arguments regarding property and economic status, but since preparation has been mentioned several times here, I thought I’d post it.

• ludditerobot says:

3 1/2 weeks. I’ll resend.

• erin says:

As a fairly recent convertee to vegetarianism (nearly 2 months!) I only have Peta to thank for giving me that extra push to give up meat altogether. And although I prefer not to eat at KFC either anymore, I think that having a vegan option makes veganism/vegetarianism more attractive to people who want to change but are concerned it will mean giving up fast food.
    Also, I have a child that I hope to raise as a vegetarian; as he gets older I’m hopeful that more restaurants will have vegetarian options should he want to join his friends for some “fast food”. And I think that KFC has started that trend, thanks in large part to the Peta campaign.

• Alex says:

As much as I would like to be all happy about the veggie options to come at KFC, i can’t help but think they are just looking to make $$$.

A few yrs ago McDonalds had veggie burgers and discontinued them b/c they have to be pre-cooked and can only be kept for 30 min… hence they had a lot of health issues with the burgers being “old” as per health standards.

Now… let’s be serious how caring will be the big guys (aka KFC, TACO BELL, etc) be to people needs when they are simply $$ hungry?

• lauren says:

i`d go for it!
    as long as its in the
    U.S. too!

• Natasha says:

I mentioned before that I think KFC will use Yves veggie nuggets but I made a mistake. Yves nuggets are not vegan anymore so they won’t be selling them.Damn. I wonder why the company changed the ingredients? They were really good.

• raudolf says:

thx for the vegan cooking it would be great if u could put more in as i am 14 and my father doesnt find it easy cooking a range of foods i can eat so thx again :)

• Mich says:

Vegetarian and vegan foods in fast food places are a true victory and sign of the times. This introduces meat eaters to humane alternatives and as awareness for alternative foods becomes more acceptable it will be easier to help people make a permanent change.

• Michellene says:

Yes Amy, you do indeed make a valid point! The killing of animals for any reason is heinous. Although we have reached a level of consciousness that allows us to realise this, there are others who are still carnivores with a primitive understanding. Compassion is not something they fully understand at this point. I realise some people will make judgements about these people, but where is our compassion? I believe these people all have the truth within them and will one day awaken to a full realisation of life as sacred to all living things. In the meantime, a small victory like this could just be the start of someone’s journey. I was working at a vegetarian food place at a folk festival when a man came to my stall. When he realised we were vegetarian he declined, saying he would rather eat meat. We talked a little and he asked me what I think of people who eat fish, but say they are vegetarian. I replied that in my opinion these people are in the first steps of vegetarianism and with encouragement rather than judgement they can go the full stretch. I have quite a few friends who took some time before becoming vegan or vegetarian. Of course, now they feel regret that they took so long. A long story short, I got the man’s telephone number and promised to pop in and give him some cooking lessons when I’m passing through. So Amy is right! One step at a time and with loving compassion and encouragement perhaps we’ll see a new era emerge.

• ludditerobot says:

I’m surprised and happy that this conversation is ongoing, and I want to raise my glass to Amy for allowing it to do so. I’ve seen a lot worse from PETA folks. Discussion is always a good thing.

That being said …

@ Rob:

I don’t know if you actually read what I’ve written here or not, but I firmly believe that this is *in no way, shape, or form* a victory. Not for the chickens. Not for those who would advocate for them. Not for the cause more generally (assuming we all share the same cause).

For KFC? Yes, it has been quite a victory.

You ask, “Would you rather that nothing is done to help the birds?”

That is the very example of what (excuse the non-vegan turn of phrase) is known as a “red herring.” I would rather *everything* be done to help the birds — and providing KFC with new ways to kill them, by which they streamline their efficiency and increase their profits, is just not in the realm of admissable suggestions.

Am I happy that non-vegan vegetarians now have a sandwich stuffed full of animal products that they can eat at an animal-exploiting franchise? No, Rob. No, I’m not. Sorry.

• Sandra says:

I agree with ludditerobot,sharon, kelly, and mark! I still wouldnt eat there !to bad kfc.!

• Jenna says:

Oh.. and I agree with ludditerobot also!!

Check out humaneMYTH.org … cause that is exactly what it is!!

• Jenna says:

Any money spent at KFC is still supporting them!! C´mon.. why not just make it yourself at home??

• crystal says:

I have been vegetarian for over 18 years (since I was 14 years old) and I do NOT eat out, to me, calling it a vegetarian sandwich is ri~freaking~diculous…its made back there with the *real* chicken, and, more likely than not, the minimum wage employees aren’t going to go to ANY lengths to make sure it doesn’t come into contact with MEAT…maybe some people don’t care, but to me, eating off of the same counter/stove/oven where meat is cooked is about as vegetarian as eating fish.
    I won’t be going to KFC, nor anywhere else.

• Rob says:

It’s still a victory, a small one but victory none the less. Would you rather that nothing is done to help the birds? that no other option is given besides real meat?

• Natasha says:

I’m sure that they are going to sell Yves vegan chicken nuggets since it’s a Canadian brand. I won’t be eating at KFC since they are heartless a** holes and the nuggets will be in contact I’m sure with tortured birds.

• Marlenery says:

Just the smell of KFC is enough to turn your stomach if you don’t eat meat, why would any vegan or vegetarian want to subject themselves to see and smell all those murdered animal parts just to get a veggie style mock murdered sandwich?

• Ashley A. says:

I’m pretty sure they are going to be changing their gloves otherwise i wouldn’t even try to eat there or anywhere that didn’t change gloves or wash hands. That is so cool they are going to have a veggie style order on the menu. :> This makes me so excited! I hope this spreads to the U.S.

• Holly says:

Personally, I don’t think we should support them in anyway. An institution that promotes animal cruelty shouldn’t be congratulated just for having one vegetarian alternative.

For KFC to make a vegetarian option while still treating animals like dirt is like them patting us on the head and saying, “Here, put this sandwich in your mouth and shut up already.”

• teri tosdale says:

Right on anonymous! doesn’t everyone realize how far the fast food world has come with accepting some form of vegetarianism?! ten years ago, a BK veggie burger was unheard of. now, it’s offered at almost every burger king. it’s all called progress.
    protesting the cause (by not supporting the fast food industry when it moves forward in it’s way of thinking) is not only hurting our cause, but makes us look inflexible and not willing to compromise when our “enemy” is. just remember, there are some meat eaters that will go into kfc, try the veggie sandwich, and like it. let’s face it, in this cruel, compassionless world, one will never convince EVERYONE to give up meat, but we can give them alternatives, and potentially save one animal at a time. that’s worth it to me.

• ludditerobot says:

@ anonymous: The problem, unfortunately, is that it *is* a setback. It’s not a matter of “how one looks at it,” as though such things were merely subjective and the animals “won” because we decided to define this as a “victory.”

I understand the desire for an accomplishment, any accomplishment, given the constant evidence of failures for animal rights in a world more or less outright hostile to them.

But “controlled atmosphere killing,” non-vegan sandwiches at fast-food joints, and co-marketing for animal exploiting industries just doesn’t fit the bill.

• Anonymous says:

I’vew been a vegitarian for five years now, and i’m sorry to say that the way some of you guys see this whole KFC thing is just ludicrous. GET over yourself! their doing something good by giving into what PETA is promoting, so get off your high horse, no one said that you had to eat there, because i know that i still never will, but be thankful that we accomplished something, instead of looking at it as a set back.

• Skysea says:

I guess aside from the whole animal rights thing, part of the reason that I have made the choice to avoid eating meat is also to avoid fast food all together…. I mean if I want fast food, I would much rather just go to my local co-op and get a veggie sandwich to go…. at least there I KNOW where the products come from and how they are handled. And for the record, I would not want to try the new vegan sammy at KFC, I just wouldnt be satisfied with the quality.

• Josh says:

I find this an interesting discussion. So many people hate PETA, and some hate them because they are too extreme, and some hate them because they are not extreme enough.

• Sam says:

I totally agree with ludditerobot.

• Kelly says:

I won’t be trying any. I don’t eat at crapholes that treat animals like dirt.

• sharon says:

I still wouldn’t eat in a KFC out of principle, whether they do vegan or now. i just wouldn’t trust them.
    The stuff they sell offends me.

• ludditerobot says:

Amy — I recognize your point that this is intended as a cooking blog, and it’s well taken, but since this “huge campaign victory” is being touted here, I think it’s a valid claim to address. And, in my case at least, there is no confusion at all as to why PETA “supports” such “victories:” on the contrary, I understand the motivation all too well, and it’s why I don’t support PETA or welfarist reform in general.

I hate to rain on everyone’s parade, but the fact is that this “victory” is no such thing. Controlled Atmosphere Killing is horrific, and there is little evidence that it actually reduces broken bones etc. There is, however, *ample* evidence that it will increase industry efficiency and productivity: i.e. allow animal exploiters to kill more animals and cheaper. In fact, this is one of the main arguments PETA uses, perversely, to sell it to them.

That a supposed animal rights organization would wage a multi-year campaign and spend donor dollars to advocate for a system of killing animals that will increase the number of animals killed and increase market share and profits for their exploiters is absurd. That so many people should blindly assume that this is a “victory for the animals” is deeply disturbing.

Further, the coordination with the animal exploitation industry to include marginal “vegan” items — assuming one skips the mayo, gets it in a wrap, and discounts the fact that it will be handled by workers directly alongside animal corpses — is meaningless. Not only does it fail to impact the economic and property status of animals — which is the root cause of animal suffering, not the particular nature of their suffering prior to slaughter — but it *bolsters* it. By making consumers of animal products feel better about their sporadic “compassionate choice” at the KFC counter, it helps to perpetuate a system that ought to be opposed in its entirety.

I’ve written about this stuff here, and others have written far more worthwhile stuff here.

Imagine if PETA used their millions and millions of dollars on aggressive vegan outreach, the underwriting of vegan restaurants, the actual work of undermining the commodity status of animals and thus furthering their hopes for emancipation.

But then, that stuff isn’t very sexy, and it’s lacking the “Victory for Teh Animalz!” soundbite closer needed for fundraising e-mails, isn’t it?

• Nikki Houghton says:

Good for KFC! I have not eaten at KFC for 15 yrs. I would certainly try their vegan chicken along with any other vegan products.

• Amy says:

Hi everyone. After posting this I realized that maybe some of you aren’t aware of why PETA supports victories (like this one) for animals. I mean, the most serious topic we typically discuss here is where to find a vegan cheese that melts, so any confusion is understandable.

PETA supports changes that restaurants, factory farms and individuals take to lessen the suffering of animals who live and die for food.

Yes, we want everyone to stop eating chicken; that would be the ultimate victory (and the vegan sandwich they are adding sure does work toward that end at least a bit). But we also know that is not going to happen overnight so, for the animals currently suffering in the meat industry, we encourage corporations to implement the best animal welfare programs they can and to introduce vegan and vegetarian options.

Regardless of their reasons for agreeing to the terms, we’re happy because we are ending the extreme suffering of some animals. Even if we were going to help one animal we would be happy, but when the number will be in the millions as is true in Canada, we are thrilled and consider that a victory for animals.

We also encourage people to support the vegan and vegetarian menu options because it’s no surprise that corporations see everything in dollar signs, and if their one veg option sells then maybe they’ll add one or two more. I know that if I lived in Canada I would be first in line to buy the faux chicken sandwich because I want to support this step towards ending the suffering of animals. And just to be clear, I never ever question servers at restaurants about whether or not my food is cooked next to flesh. As long as there are no animal products in my dish or on it, what’s next to it doesn’t really matter.

To sum this up, it’s about supporting all of the small changes that are being made on a daily basis but still encouraging these companies to do more. That’s what PETA stands for.

Thanks,

Amy

• Dale says:

I believe this is the most important thing you have reported in this issue for the promise it holds. I am sympathetic to a lot you stand for, but I do not have the discipline or opportunity on the road to avoid fast food places. Any time I can, I order a veggie alternative. This message is louder than any you could send the industry. When they can make money off of Veggie products, believe me, they will move in that direction. We should spend more time and energy lobbying for this. I believe there are millions of people like me who will take the alternative when they can.

• Gnewvegan says:

One step at a time and hopefully more and more vegan options will be made and less suffering of the innocent animals.

• ludditerobot says:

“A huge campaign victory,” eh?

Let’s sum up what PETA actually accomplished here:

(1) The brokering of a deal with animal exploiters, based largely on an appeal to their financial bottom line (i.e., “adding a vegan option will be a good PR move and eventually increase your market share.”);

(2) The gradual rolling out of bird gas-chambers in the form of Controlled Atmosphere Killing, the PETA-sanctioned method of murdering sentient creatures;

(3) The addition to the menu of a vegan chicken option, slathered, one assumes, with mayo more often than not and cooked right alongside the carcasses as noted above;

(4) Bolstering the implication that animal exploiters need only murder animals in a slightly (maybe) less horrific way and put a questionably vegan option on the menu to receive kudos from their supposed “opposition.”

This whole thing is incredibly damaging to veganism and animal rights. But, hey, that’s PETA for you.

Now if you will excuse me, I’m off to gas some chickens and sell their corpses: I’m trying to get an award from PETA to put on my wall!

• Mica says:

Interesting…it is some kind of improvement but I agree with Mark.

• Tracy says:

At least they are trying something new. I was so happy to read about how they have finally agreed to the more humane way of slaughtering their chickens. ok, that sentence doesn’t really sound right..I’m not happy about slaughtering chickens, but at least it’s the more humane way, right? Hopefully the U.S follows.

• mark says:

Hi, at least KFC can do something better. but i still find it a little gross that veggie foods will be in contact with flesh foods.

• Bananahead says:

I imagine that they will cook said ‘veggie sandwich’ in the same oil as the so-called ‘chicken’ sandwich and that they will touch it with their meat-greasy hands/utensils/etc. Just saying!

• Jan Scholl says:

your KFC’s have a vegetarian sammy? now in my red neck town. Time for me to move. I have not eaten at a fast food place in 10 years because of the crappy choices.