Free-Range Eggs Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up to Be

The following article was written by PETA Foundation staffer Heather Moore.

Ever since the massive salmonella outbreak and ensuing egg recall, many people have been scrambling to buy eggs from free-range farms, thinking that they’re healthier and more humane than eggs from factory farms. While buying eggs from local farmers who don’t cram hens into small, filthy cages is kinder than buying eggs that were produced on factory farms, it’s not a truly viable—or humane—solution.

More than 300 million hens are raised on factory egg farms every year—approximately 95 percent of the eggs produced in America come from factory-farmed birds. The sheer number of animals raised to satisfy people’s taste for eggs, meat, and milk makes it impossible for us to raise and kill them all on small farms.

In many cases, animals raised on organic or free-range farms suffer from the same painful mutilations as animals raised on conventional farms. “Free-range” or “organic” labels don’t guarantee that animals are treated humanely any more than KFC’s flowery assurances about its animal welfare practices guarantees that animals raised for its restaurants don’t suffer. Chickens and other animals raised on organic or free-range farms are typically transported to the same terrifying slaughterhouses used by factory farms. Many animals are scalded to death or dismembered while they’re still conscious.

It’s not just our farming practices that need to change but also our eating habits. While PETA supports any action that helps reduce animal suffering, we believe that the only truly humane option is for people to choose tasty vegan alternatives to meat, eggs, and dairy products. Think about it: Would you encourage someone who beats their children to beat them less violently and less often? Or would you tell them to stop beating their children altogether? Less frequent, softer beatings would certainly be less painful for the children, but they’re not really a compassionate alternative.

Fortunately, as more people realize that animals—who are made of flesh, bone, and blood, just as humans are—have interests and feelings that must be protected, they will eventually also come to realize that there’s no good reason to raise them for food in the first place. There are humane, healthy, and delicious vegan alternatives, which are the kindest, safest choice.

Commenting is closed.
  • jacinta says:

Hi. I’m 16, Vegan and a devout Christian. I believe God has provides animals for us to eat, but I also believe he gave us a responsibility to look after them, treat them with respect and not treat them inhumanely. I chose to stop eating meat/ animal products because of the way these animals are treated.

For those people who believe veganism/vegetarianism is against God/ the Bible read Corinthians.

• Jacinta says:

I’m 16, vegan and a devout Christian.
    I believe God has provided animals for us to eat, but I also believe he gave us a responsibility. To look after and take care of these animals. I think he would be/ is appalled at the inhumane way we animals.

• Michelle Noviot says:

My children and I have now been ovo-lacto vegetarians for the past 7 months. The videos that I saw on the PETA website and the literature on the website made me decide to become an ovo lacto vegetarian. I gave up meat cold turkey! I have been reading up on the cruel practices chickens are subjected to in order to lay eggs and about the abuse dairy cows suffer. I feel like if I want to become a vegan but by doing so I will have to eat even more soy and I was reading that anyone that has a family history of breast cancer shouldn’t eat so much soy. What should I do?

• anonymous says:

I hate how people say “god put animals on the earth for a reason”-that didn’t involve cruel methods like these.I’m 13.And iv’e been vegetarian for 15 months and i never touch store eggs (i have my own chickens) and i limit my use on milk.I’m an outcast at school for this, but i stand tall and proud.

• No name says:

I think this comment is for Alex Scott. Though I am a vegan, I can also understand your point. I think that you can still be a passionate person and consume meat and dairy. You seem to be very aware of the products you purchase. Please don’t be discouraged by some of the messages you receive. Vegans are extreme animal lovers and can come across a bit too extreme at times. Always do what’s right for you and know that every small effort you make is appreciated by our fury friends :)

• Charlotte says:

PETA are just trying to help and save animals and have their interests in heart, so don’t post horrible comments about how they’re supposedly being annoying and trying to get you to turn vegan. If you don’t want emails from them about veganism then you shouldn’t be a member.

• Joy Wheeler says:

Sounds good, like the good garden, chickens wandering around laying eggs, I control their health and well being. Blessed to have this food. The statement “Animals are not mine to use or abuse” stands for me. I cannot go to the market for my food knowing that the animal I eat suffered for a price I never needed to pay. My diet never required meat. Man in this day and age does not need to be a carnivore.

• Desiree200483 says:

No one is telling anyone to stop eating meat eggs or dairy, what I like about PETA and Animals Australia is that they make you aware of where your food, clothing and other household products come from. If you chose to eat meat etc, they are trying to help consumers make informed decisions to try and choose ‘cruelty free’. I applaud their efforts and I’m disappointed in some members of the human race who think animals are here for our survival, if you truely feel that way, study your history which includes the bible is you believe in God and you will discover that humans never needed meat to stay alive, and God values animals as much as people, why else did he ask Noah to put them on the Ark?
    Also, Johanna, I think you are the ignorant one, heaven forbid humans work a bit harder and respect an animal that is essentially giving up its life for us.
    Good luck to everyone on their journey to choose curelty free.

• Brittney says:

As a general statement to those posting about their apprent love for meat and the the whole food chain business. GROW UP!
    Its not the so much the idea of eating meat which clearly is in our nature, its the support we give to these cruel, disgusting processes we put animals through treating them as if they were nothing more then some disposable plastic fork. Sadly, consuming meat in our day and age is directly saying, I SUPPORT RUTHLESS SLAUGHTER OF ANIMALS. I say this as a vegan who chose this path as a protest against this digusting industry. Open your eyes to the facts and what is actually happening and look beyond a packaged piece of steak to what suffering and pain went into it. Maybe “god” put animals on the earth to eat, but what right do to have to treat another living creature the way we do in the meat industry. If someone committed a crime like that against a house pet, they can be sent to jail. So yes, grow up and think about that for a second.

• Ruth Preston says:

when it comes to free range eggs you can always source locally from a farm. I live 6 miles from a city but a local free range outfit delivers eggs to my door every week and they are cheaper than the supermarket. These places are out there if you ask/look about you will find them. I have not bought eggs from a shop for a very long time. I don’t eat meat because i cannot stand the way we farm meat animals. How many people can tell by looking at a pack of supermarket meat, what animal it came from and what part of the animal it belonged to, let alone whether it was reared properly and slaughtered with some respect….so i don’t eat meat anymore.

• brenn says:

Although I am a vegetarian, I understand that there will still be people who eat animals, however, there is no reason that the animals should be treated in an inhumane way, which is how they are treated on factory farms!

• Emilien says:

bluestrawberry13 and Megan Corwin: If you have your own chickens that lay eggs then this is truly ‘Free Range’. What peta is saying is that when you go to the supermarket and buy ‘free range’ or organic it can be a lie and this is true. Chicken farmers cant afford to put all their chickens in farms, so obviously the majority are still unfortubately caged. This news letter isnt telling people to go Vegan, it is simply giving people other options. I know veggetarians who dont eat eggs because of all this- but they are not vegan.

And sorry Johannah- your rant didnt make sense at all. Try speaking English and knowing your facts before typing!! You cant prove that God exists, but you can prove that animal cruelty exists. You are a moron I’m sorry!!!

Hope this helps x

• Lucidity says:

Anyone who believes in a God who put species on this planet in order for human beings to torture, slaughter, and chew them is suffering from a grotesquely sadistic imagination.

• Ruth says:

How sad that Animals can not live in Peace because of some Humans are selfish and others Greedy and Money Hungry.

• Marianne Gantenbein says:

I agree, to live like a vegetarian is the best way for the animals. But I am honest, I like eggs, milk products and seldom some meat. I always look for organic products. We have in Switzerland a very good label, which is called “KAG”. The animals on these farms live really in very good condition. If you eat the meat from these animals, you feel the difference! And I also had eggs ore meat from two other farms, which have no label, but I know the farmers and they are very kind to their animals. It was the same!! I only want to say, that it is a big difference, where the animal products come from. In Switzerland we have small farms, sometimes they have only 10-20 hens, and they are free, walking round the house the whole day. In the evening, the farmer gives them security by bringing them into the hen house and if you watch them, you feel, that they are content!
    But I agree, for all people in the world producing real organic animal products, this is impossible. A lot of people eat too many animal products. “Less is more”! If I would not have the possibility to buy real good products, I would become a vegetarian!

• Oliver Berlin says:

Hey there, I’m from germany and can say that the biggest discounters removed these cage eggs from their shops. You can choose between cage-free eggs (birds can live on the ground, we call it “Bodenhaltung”), free-range eggs (“Freilandhaltung”) and bio. I think that’s a really good step, but there are still many problems to fix… Of course smaller shops still got these cage eggs. The industry uses still cage eggs. And those “Bodenhaltung”-farms sometimes even have no light or windows for the birds.
    Keep on PETA, you do a really important an dgreat work.

• jasmine says:

I been a vegetarian for 7yrs but I don’t knw were can I find vegan meats or other vegan products I been ignorant on how animals suffer just so I can have milk or cheese pls let me knw I live in L.A

• MeHoppenjans says:

I dont eat meat but I will eat eggs. I would NEVER buy the eggs from a store though, my husband and I own a farm. Our chickens run free all day and they go to their hutch at night (on their own free will) for us to lock them up so preditors dont get them. They live happy and free. I dont believe vegan is always the best or most realistic thing to do in all cases but I dont believe in consuming products that had to suffer for you. I know its also unrealistic for everyone to be able to do what my husband and I do, so unfortunatly it does require some people to do a lil extra homework. Lookup local farms and have a look around before you buy ANYTHING. I think PETA should try to show all options instead of just black and white (because in this case, there is some good grey areas)

• Greta Vivante says:

There is NO kosher meat/milk/eggs… It doesn’t matter HOW you kill an animal – MURDER IS MURDER and there is no way to give somebody acquittal just because it is a less cruel or less painful death. It is death. Nothing else matters.

• nancy says:

Yet another person made a comment comparing eating animals to eating plants. Are people really this dumb? That comment is beyond absurd. Newsflash: PLANTS DO NOT HAVE NERVOUS SYSTEMS. I can’t believe anybody needs that pointed out to them. Although, I realize there are varying levels of mental capabilities. Anyway, animals have nervous systems just as humans do. They feel physical pain just as we do. Plants do not have a nervous system. I can’t believe anybody who went to grammar school would still make that comment.

• Trevor says:

My suggestion is that you will not make a significant impact on consumption by urging people to stop eating eggs. Rather campaign for increasingly tight national standards for accommodation, transport and slaughtering conditions for hens – this will take time, but will be a succession of small, positive steps. Then your energies can go into checking whether the standards are being monitored and enforced by the authorities.

• Nicola says:

Johannah, there’s a big difference between worshipping animals and respecting them. Do unto others ….

• EC Mac says:

It always amazes me how offended people become when they hear others speak of being vegetarian. The reason is very obvious because deep inside, we all know that killing animals for food isn’t right. There is a very big difference between the animals in the wild and us human beings and how we all survive. We are all entitled to our opinions sure…but Truth remains Truth. One day many will realise the cruelty behind eating animals. It is not that meat eaters are bad people at all…my parents are the most wonderful and good people I know, but they just have not reached that level of compassion yet.

Here are a few pretty clever people you might remember who would support the vegetarian cause on any day. They were well known for their knowlege so I wouldn’t want to argue with them ;)

“For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras, mathematician

“Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.”
    “Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    “To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being.” Mahatma Gandhi, statesman and philosopher

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.” Thomas Edison, inventor

They must have known something we didn’t….? All I hope and ask, is that you think very deeply about what you eat the next time you grab a bite.

Love to all

EC

• msalabama says:

Johanna, I suggest you read “Created Equal” by Rev. Ernie Bringas and Alex I suggest you read “Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows” by Melanie Joy, PhD.. THEN see how you feel about eating animals.

• Johnnye says:

If you’re saying that eggs labeled “free range”, “organic” and “grain fed” that are sold in my local natural food market are lying about the conditions in which the hens that lay these eggs are kept, you are probably right. I no longer trust anything that has the USDA stamp of approval on it. However, if you’re also saying that eggs raised locally by a farmer who treats his laying hens well and humanely, and allows his customers to view the environment in which his laying hens live and produce eggs, then I don’t think you can claim this across-the-board because you don’t know this to be fact. When someone buys eggs from a local farmer (not someone who has chicken houses that are subsidized by factory farming corporation, but his own few hens and he only sells the overflow of eggs), and he is open enough to let you see his hens’ environment and how they are treated humanely, that is different. If the laying hen is not kept cooped up in a small, dirty pen and has the freedom and room to run around and scratch for worms on the ground like hens normally did before factory farming came into being, and the farmer is not giving his hens hormones to make them lay more, then I don’t think you are right to condemn this type of situation. The local farmer of which I write has enough hens to provide eggs for his family and sells the overflow to a few people. He’s not making much money at $3 for a dozen, and the buyer has to drive to his farm to get the eggs. It doesn’t hurt the hens to lay the eggs.

I believe in a great deal of what PETA does in trying to stop animal abuse, but the organization actually turns off people who might otherwise pay attention when those who represent PETA do not stick to facts. I get emotional about animal cruelty, too, and sign petitions, talk to people and certainly do not contribute to factory farming. However, if I occasionally buy a dozen eggs that I KNOW are humanely produced by hens that are treated well, then I do not feel as though I’m committing a crime. Yes, I’m sorry that there aren’t more actual small family farms on which this type of egg-producing environment exists. I wish the days of the true small family farm were still possible, but there are a few rural people hanging on to their small farms, usually with at least one member of the family working at a “regular” job to pay the bills. I think they should be encouraged, not shunned.

• Hannah says:

I am a vegan living in England. Here we have a company called the ‘Happy Egg Company’ i have personally visited a couple of its farms (unannounced) and was suprisingly welcomed. i was given a tour round the farms i visited and all exceeded my expectations. You are probably wondering why a vegan would go to an egg farm, well curiosity got the better of me. Even though i was happy to see the hens with lots of space (with swing sets and play houses) and STILL with their beaks, I personally dont like the slaughter conditions and i will not put my money towards these horrendous futile places. I know, respect and understand that everyone has their opinion. In the UK, by 2012, there will be a Government ban on caged hens, this is great news, but the UK has a smaller population than America but sometimes smaller changes will result in larger changes accross the oceans. Hopefully!!!

• organic wench says:

“Since we are the living graveyards of murdered animals how then can we expect ideal conditions on this planet?” (Gandhi)

• Urs says:

Some people still think that animals have no ‘souls’ and even worse that they do not feel pain etc. ‘We’ know better.
    Now, I think that every plant does also have a ‘soul’ that the plant feels. So what about killing that tomato?
    On the other hand everybody and everything will eventually ‘die’ i.e. will be recycled in one form or another. We humans can do ‘humane’ killing of animals for food. There just is no need to be cruel up to that point. When it is time the animal will not know what happened and its soul will depart perhaps a little bit confused but having had a good time.
    We ‘humans’ need to eat a lot less meat because the overall pollution and waste of resources to produce that meat is killing us together with all the other living things on this planet.
    And we humans need to stop procreating like locusts because we have only one planet.

• vegan says:

For me, veganism is more like a boycott of of products in which I don’t approve of the way they are produced. Human beings have evolved to eat meat, but not this way. Maybe if more of us boycott animal products altogether, things will change and we can return to comsuming animal products in a more natural and responsible way.

• Judy Mansfield says:

Alex;Your message is rather confusing?I don’t think any one really cares if you eat meat or not,it’s your choice.You ask questions? & with whom may I ask? do you go in & ask the butcher;hey do you beat your meat(abuse)before slaughtering them? or go into a resturant & say may I see your slaughtered animals before you cook me a meal? Do you know for a fact that the eggs are not diseased,contaminated or in fact toxic? did you know that our flu shots are made of eggs? and when given by injection they go directly to your brain? and oh well if your allergic to eggs as I am;OH WELL!The doctor may be kind enough much later on after the million dollar shot,if you may have an allergic reaction to to eggs.All these shots that are randomly shot into animals for human consumption and/or just for experiment sake is and does do severe damage to these poor helpless animals but to the consumers as well.So you see Alex,we as the human race had just hoped to inform you & the public of these advantages or disadvantages to save you from severe illnesses,our’s as well as you catching any thing from poor processed meat(s)can and will create future illnesses thats where the medical industry is making a killing on health insurance & those you feel are ignorant and those such as you that feel are not so ignorant.Ignorance is mainly based on those that are less informed or more so those that choose not to accept free range information at a much better price.Have a great day….Peace

• d.p. muir says:

It’s up to the individual to be educated about good quality produce and how to prepare food well. In Australia we are fortunate enough to have some amazing chefs, cooks and mentors within families and schools who promote the use of certified organic ingredients. I have in the past been vegan, pesco-vegetarian and vegetarian for more than half my life. I now eat meat occasionally – my body craved it – and do eat free range organically farmed eggs. The products our family purchase may in some circumstances not be 100% to our standard, but to balance that, we have always grown vegetables, herbs and fruit/nut trees. Lecturing people will not assist to change their views. People change only when they want to after assessing facts and tasting the difference! Good luck with sharing info and ‘good news’ stories.

• Michelle says:

To whoever said that chicken wire doesn’t keep coyotes out… you’ve obviously never kept chickens in an area that is densely populated by coyotes. We’ve kept chickens in their hen house with a large, outdoor run covered in chicken wire for over ten years. There are always coyotes, foxes, and even the occasional raccoon around the coop and they have never, ever, gotten in there. If you had known anything about keeping your own chickens in rural areas then you would have known that any responsible owner would have dug the wire into the ground to prevent any predators from digging under. If you’ve had a problem with keeping predators out of your own coop, then that is a husbandry problem. You also seem to be missing the point, most cage free birds never see the outside any way, they’re just kept in huge warehouses without the cages. Besides that, I don’t care if it costs more money to use cage free systems, or if you believe animals are here to eat, no matter what you think no animal deserves a life of suffering.

• Heather says:

How can you say they are not smart? Chickens are very smart and very compassionate and pigs are actually smarter than a 3 year old HUMAN child.
    Also if you don’t eat a horse why would you eat a cow? There just alike and very smart like horses also.

But going back to the actual article…i don’t really care if eggs would rot if i didn’t eat them it’s the animal i care about and i don’t trust the food industry at all…it may say free range (which is crap) or organic but it may not be, i don’t want to take that risk…i am a very happy vegan. The only time i would eat eggs is in the future when i own my own chickens and i know that they are going to be loved and let to do their own thing and NOT sent off to be slaughtered…but then i’d eat their eggs because i know they are treated with love. But that is the only time.
    Treat animals with respect! We need to protect them and love them not eat them!!!!!! It’s barbaric.

In regard to the comment earlier about lions don’t eat grass blah blah blah…well no dear because they are MADE to eat meat…but least they have to work to get there food and at least the animals they kill are in the wild and free to live happily. Humans stomachs are closer to that of a sheep than a tiger.
    And don’t be dumb…just compare your silly nails to an eagles talons…compare your speed to a cheetah, or compare your teeth to a lions, you (a mere human) wouldn’t be able to catch your prey and then tear through it’s flesh and eat it raw!
    Think about it!!! We’re NOT MEANT TO EAT ANIMALS. We have other food whereas a lion would starve and die without eating animals…i’ve been a vegan for 7 years and i haven’t died from it if anything vegans live up to 10 years longer than meat eaters.
    I have no disrespect for meat eaters but i do for people who treat animals with inhumane actions!
    BE HAPPY, BE VEGAN.

Love Heather :)

• Heather says:

BE HAPPY, BE VEGAN.

Love Heather :)

• disturbed by animal cruelty says:

This may be of a concern to many people on this post – HALAL & KOSHER MEATS are being packaged and put on supermarket shelves without the knowledge of the consumer. Find out where exactly your free range chicken comes from if you are opposed to Halal or Kosher methods of killing… the vast majority of Free Range Chicken Slaughter in the UK & Australia is HALAL!!! SICK SICK SICK —–

• nancy says:

There are a plethora of healthy vegans in the world. There’s no reason to eat animal products. There are a lot of myths created by the industry to keep people feeling they need to eat animal products to get enough nutrition. Money is the incentive for this.

• Callen5 says:

I am a meat eater, but keeping chickens in close confinement is just nasty. They get lice, they fight and then eat the dead chickens. That can’t be good for anyone. Vegan’s can do their thing and that’s fine, but they have no right to look down on me for eating meat. Dismember the chickens while alive. What does that mean, they cut their feet off? What they need to cut off is their head! It not like they’re on death row, waiting to be executed. Chickens just can’t be compared to more intelligent creatures like cows and pigs. Not that cows are that smart either, but they should be treated humanely and in a natural environment. You just can’t grow anything, animal or vegetable in unsanitary environments.

• R. Husak says:

I saw “ditto” to Alex’s comment!

• miejoong says:

I agree with every word of this article! Less cruelty is still a cruelty.

• REBECCA says:

WHOEVER READS THIS,I HOPE YOU DO SOMETHING TO HELP RODENTS.GUINEA PIGS,RABBITS,RATS,MICE…EVEN MOLES ARE USED IN CRUEL EXPERIMENTS IN LABS AND CHEMICAL FACTORIES ALL THE TIME!I WISH PETA HAD AN ARTICLE ON THE DOW CHEMICAL COMPANY.IT IS THE LARGEST CHEMICAL MANUFACTURING PLANT IN THE U.S.A. AND TESTS ON LOADS OF RODENTS EVERY DAY!PLEASE HELP SPEAK FOR THE ONES WHO CANNOT.

• Bonnie Morgan says:

I solved the egg problem with buying from a local farmer in my town whose chickens live out in the pasture and dont go to any slaughterhouse

• Kate Northway says:

I guess we consumers need perfect clarification of what is truly free-range.
    Here in Australia its factual that chickens called freerange may just have 4 hours a day out of their tiny cages. The farmers say that the chickens keep returning to their cages!! Yes well, they may, if that’s where the food is… TRUE free range must surely be where there are no cages whatsoever..they are fed in the fields where they forage and have a lovely time 24 hours a day! Is it not then possible for them to lay on outdoors perches. There must be, there is, a way for fabulous happy chickens to then make chicken/egg lover humans, happy….

• Laura says:

Dear PETA; I have found a farm in my hometown that raises free range chickens and never sends them to be slaughtered. It’s a small place and the owner has perhaps 12 chickens, but he also has pigs and cows that he houses, feeds, and let run free. These animals have a wonderful, safe home. Why keep them? The owner just likes animals. I buy my eggs there and sometimes when I’m wearing the right kind of shoe I pick up the eggs myself from the chicken coop nests. He plants vegetables and the pigs eat plenty of grain and vegetables, and the cows are there just for show. He takes very good care of his animals. I pay $3.00/dozen for eggs and their worth every penny. This is a nice man with a kind heart and a love of animals and I thought you should know that not all farmers are hard hearted and cruel.

• Gloria says:

what can we eat? Since all of our food is provided by greedy hum scum?

• Wendy Johnston says:

Not need meat and don’t need eggs to eat a health lifestyle so why do people have to inflict all this pain and needless cruelty on animals. So glad we are finding out about all the cruelty that comes from factory farming etc. I will never buy eggs again !!!!

• bluestrawberry13 says:

My friend saves chickens from factory farms and slaughter houses and keeps them in her very large back garden, they are all very happy and friendly. They naturally still lay eggs…. if nobody ate them, they would just rot… so we eat the eggs. Other than that I’m pretty much a vegan. How does PETA stand on that?

• Megan Corwin says:

What if you have your own chickens as pets that lay you eggs?

• Alex Scott says:

I am a massive disliker of Animal cruelty, but these days all these campaigns are doing is making all my alternatives sound worse and worse… I love animals but will never become vegan, look at Evolution – you don’t see lions and tigers eating plants like some animals do, there are different parts to the evolution chart and for me — eating meat has kept the process moving on, I love to buy free-range and organic and also have a hatred to certain slaughter procedures – such as Halal, however I dislike all these emails saying to me to turn vegan. – It’s like a fascist would say to his country persons etc…
    Yes I love animals, Yes I eat meat, Yes I ask questions after questions when purchasing meat, Yes I love to cook and Yes I love FREE-RANGE and ORGANIC produce (Dairy/meat/Vegetables) – BUT No for you to turn around now and say it’s just as bad, annoys me, I’ve got friends who have their own hens etc… and they are happy as possible, eggs are a natural process for them. Stop eating eggs? where else will these eggs go? – It’s about time the AMERICANS (THE U.S.) get their act together and reduce factory farming, and CHINA to get their disgusting animal welfare sorted out.

Just putting this comment out there, I am an honest person who always asks questions, but to always receive thee campaigns which basically seem to be sent from just VEGANS?
    I am a massive lover of cooking and Jamie Oliver is one guy to look at, so to say NO TO ALL TYPES Including Dairy/Meat does annoy me. I will stick to my FREE RANGE and ORGANIC and asking questions. And Yes I do turn down buying meat at certain restaurants if the slaughter method is anything like halal *disgusting*, or similar. And also if it isn’t from farm assured places. – This is all I have to say, I hope you notice I am someone who wants change in methods and countries policies. Especially the fur-trade and animal testing.

• Johannah says:

if y’all knew anything about the agriculture industry you’d take these lies off of here. God put animals on this earth for us to eat. not to worship. free range chickens are harder labor and more likely to get diseases or eaten by all the outside wildlife. chicken wire will not stop a coyote for example. i think yall are ignorant

• Ken says:

It’s very sad that even the folks that are selling what are supposed to be “better for you free range eggs” basically are liars!
    The only way to get true free range meat and eggs would be to find either local or somewhere else that’s truthful.
    It’s a very expensive prospect at best and probably a bit difficult.