Delicious Vegan No-Bake Cookies

Written by Ashley Palmer | August 24, 2011

When I was growing up, no-bake cookies were a family favorite. Now that I’ve mastered the vegan version, we can still enjoy this delicious treat!

While high in sugar content, these cookies offer at least some nutritional boost with the oats. Still, they are an indulgence and should be eaten only on occasion—which, I’m warning you, may be difficult because you’ll want to eat the whole batch in one sitting. I promise I won’t judge you if you do.

Featuring some of my favorite ingredients—peanut butter and cocoa— these gooey cookies will leave your sweet tooth satisfied, and you’ll search for an excuse to whip up your next batch. I’m sure you’ll enjoy them as much as my family and I do!

No-Bake Cookies
1/2 cup plain soy milk
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup peanut butter

• In a small pot, combine the soy milk, sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla and cook until smooth and creamy.
  • In a large bowl, combine the oats, cocoa, and peanut butter.
  • Pour the warm soy milk mixture into the bowl and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
  • With a spoon, drop small dollops of the cookie mixture onto aluminum foil or wax paper and let sit for about 30 minutes to cool and harden.

Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

Commenting is closed.
  • Crtny90 says:

Can I use almond milk instead of soy milk?

• Silasknox says:

I just made for the second time…..so easy and yummy. I did cut down on the sugar quite a bit this time….just a little over a cup.

• Buffee32 says:

Made them using unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 of the sugar and used raw organic brown, and raw peanut butter as substitiions. Also used the raw cacao powder too. Still used the oats but they were the organic oats. Came out really good and they are vegan with no wheat flour in them. I have been vegetarian for four years and went vegan 16 months ago and these are the best no bake chocolate peanut butter cookies I have ever had. No missing out on anything here:)

• Sahsha says:

Thank you so much for the recipe!!! These are great!!!

• Lechubracabara says:

these are delicious!

• veganindiana says:

Today was my first time having homemade no bake cookies since I have been vegan.

Thank you PETA.

• KR says:

Going to attempt with almond butter and milk and coconut oil rather than butter… my son is allergic to peanut, dairy, egg, soy, corn… the list goes on!

• Killian says:

Most of the time when they don’t set right, you didn’t boil the ingredients long enough. typically, boil them for 2-3 minutes; the mixture should be thickening quickly as you mix in the peanut butter and oats.

• Nichole says:

Incredibly excited to find this recipe! I have always enjoyed no bake cookies except with cow’s milk. Now that I only have soy milk at home I was worried I wouldn’t be able to make these – thank goodness for your post!

• Deb says:

any suggestions for sugar substitutes?

• city o city says:

My girlfriend used to make a recipe like this(non vegan) so I had my doubts. She made these, using almond milk, and I have to say they might be better than the original. Definitely a solid treat here.

• Jessica says:

No bake

• Barb says:

We substituted the soy milk with almond milk and the peanut butter with almond butter. Awesome! Had to refrigerate them so they could set up better. Might have to try cutting back on the sugar just a little.

• Camilla says:

Thank you for the recipe. It is great, but I have altered it a bit:
    I have cut the sugar content down to 1 cup (I always use organic cane sugar – take care with white sugar; it is often NOT vegan – bleached with animal bones),
    I use ‘old-fashioned’ oatmeal. ‘Instant’ oatmeal has a negative effect on the blood sugar (according to Dr Neal Barnard: ‘Breaking the Food Seduction’ – a great book, by the way!).

• Bettiann says:

Omg I just made these today and I’m taking them to my inlaws (non veg) tonight. They are awesome!! I’ve eaten so many already! :( haha. Great recipe, def a keeper!

• Ashley-P says:

Phyllis: I’ve used organic cane sugar (the really grainy kind) before and couldn’t tell the difference. I’d say it’s worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out!

• Phyllis Mesquita says:

Hi,
    I was interested in the cookies, and I was wondering if I can use raw suger or brown sugar instead of the white.
    Phyllis

• amyd says:

Can you substitute applesauce for the butter? Or will they not harden?

• PamelaP says:

My nephew made this cookies all the time and they are sooo good. He didn’t use soy milk though. But, I love soymilk so I am going to give it a try. Thank You for Posting this.

• howdareyousayit says: