It’s a Chocolate-Peppermint Pattie Pie!
First, you crumble chocolate cookies—I use Oreos—into a fine mess. Drizzle in just enough vegetable oil to bring the crumbs together.
Next, you melt an entire pound of chocolate until smooth, then blend with silken tofu and peppermint extract until creamy.
Finally, pour the creamy chocolate filling into the crispy cookie crust. Top with finely crumbled peppermint pieces and chill.
Thanks to the Tomato Head Restaurant, you’ll have a peppermint pattie-like pie that is surprisingly flavorful with so few ingredients. One bite of this pie brought back memories of my mom enjoying her favorite sweet treat, the peppermint pattie. She says they remind her of Christmas—her favorite holiday—and that’s why she likes them so much.
Regardless of her good reasons, as a child I had to hate peppermint patties because she loved them—that is, until I was old enough to know better. How could a kid have the same favorite candy as her mother? That just wouldn’t be cool. Now that I’ve seen the light, in the form of the chocolate-mint combo, I enjoy vegan peppermint patties, peppermint pies, minty-chocolate cakes—you name it, I like it. Mom would be so pleased.
Vegan Chocolate-Peppermint Pie
by Tomato Head restaurant
For the Crust:
4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Place the cookie crumbs in a food processor and pulse until fine. With the machine running, drizzle oil over the cookie crumbs until evenly coated.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 10-inch pie pan, leaving the sides bare. Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the Filling:
1 lb. bittersweet chocolate
1 pkg. soft silken tofu
1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl over a double boiler.
- Place the melted chocolate, the tofu, and the peppermint extract in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared crust. Refrigerate overnight.
- Cut while cold. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Garnish with chopped peppermint candy pieces if desired.
Makes 8 to 10 servings