The Ultimate Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet

Baking should be a joyful experience for everyone involved. Spare the lives of countless animals by choosing to make your favorite recipes vegan. Save a copy of PETA’s Ultimate Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet and begin baking with compassion!

Click image to enlarge.

Get the printer-friendly version here!

Now that you’ve got all the resources you need, browse hundreds of free recipes in our databases to get started.

Commenting is closed.
  • Amos Adam says:

Tracy, for think goey heavy textures that still rise you want to mash a fruit like an apple or banana (or use pre-made) on a ratio of about 2 for a pan of brownies and add half a spoon more of leavening.
    If you don’t want any fruity (delicious) flavors added to your brownies you can use chickpea/garbanzo bean flour (see quantities labeled) and flaxseed (better ground). Notice those add a weird flavor before baked so don’t lick the spoon…. ; )
    I think eggs were just what they had back in the day in Europe and they never imagined having ripe protein-containing bananas to bake with!

• Wendy says:

I believe “nice and veggie” meant the diet soda recommended “in a pinch” under custards. Diet soda and hydrogenated oils are not healthy or natural. The carrageenan is from seaweed but I have no knowledge about how it is processed or any health factors, other than it can have similar effects as msg.

• roseburgraised says:

i think this is a great page but i want to know why ‘Nice and Veggie’ commented that they would never use soda…i am guessing they mean baking soda? so why wouldn’t you use it???

• Tracy says:

Do you have a suggestion for an egg substitute in brownie mixes?

• Nice and Veggie says:

Great infographic, but I’d rather stick to natural plant-based ingredients. Please don’t use soda, especially light, is very bad for you and for the planet, carragenaans or hydrogenated fats. I wouldn’t eat those, let alone offer them to anyone else. I think using products like these give vegan baking a bad name, when in reality we could be looking for natural and healthy alternatives.

Other than that, great idea. Keep up the good work :)

• Cc says:

Macdoodle – I use Coconut Oil for most everything. It liquefies easily. Some brands have a distinct coconut flavor (yum) others not-so-much. And it’s very healthy for you.

• Ann says:

Chia seeds can be used as an egg replacer in the same ratio as flax seeds (1 T chia seed plus 3 T water for 1 egg) – and in fact are less noticeable in baked goods!

• Kristy says:

This is the second time round for me being vegan. Cheese was hard for me to give up, but going vegan this time, I’m much more educated and want this lifestyle change. I’m proud that I can make awesome food that is plant based, lower in calories and is overall better for my health. As a yoga teacher, we must practice ahimsa-non violence against living creatures, and I believe we don’t need anything sourced from animals as nature will provide for us. I wish all the land that is cleared for cattle was used for growing grain/vegetables and sent to the countries affected by poverty and then everyone in the World would not go hungry.

• Macdoodle says:

Can you also help with oil vs butter conversions?
    Is there a formula for the moisture change?
    which is better for long term use if you do not want olive flavor in baking- canola or pomace/plain olive oil?

• Macdoodle says:

Too many people for the planet to support is the cause of factory farming, GMO development, and much more of mother natures problems..
    All countries need to consider birth control, fostering and adoption of those that are here- to help reverse it. (The real fix is not so easy, and since corporations need an evergrowing number of customers to grow profits – a fix of the biz model is needed too)

IMHO.

• Michelle says:

@Toni V, I couldn’t agree more.

“Sorry if feeling bad is uncomfortable… we should be ashamed of ourselves if we don’t.”

• Toni V says:

Thanks everyone for all the awesome tips!
    I couldn’t help but respond @ Ashley D:
    To say you love animals, but don’t want to be “guilt-tripped” into not supporting them being tortured is disturbing. Dietary choices not about politics…? WOW.
    It’s not an instance of an animal having a hard life or less than ideal conditions. Rather, the issue is an unimaginable amount of pain and suffering these factory farmed animals endure for their short, miserable lives. Guilt is a natural emotion tied to supporting such an atrocity, and we’d be less than human if we didn’t feel compelled to do something (no matter how small) to show our solidarity in not participating.
    Most people don’t care to know the truth, but we who do are obligated (IMO) to “feel bad” enough to do act. If we can suck it up and allow ourselves to feel just a small twinge of the pain the animals feel, perhaps we will collectively effect a change. To be inconsolable after watching “Meet your Meat” is perfectly normal for a functioning human being. Sorry if feeling bad is uncomfortable…we should be ashamed of ourselves if we don’t.

• Theosis says:

The problem is there is no attachment anymore to the process of meat or animal products.. Actually I am not a Vegan, I am a Vegetarian, thuogh have been looking at making the move, so to speak..

People are so detached about there food, one reader says she does not want to feel guilty about her food choices.. And that is fine I get that, on the other hand I think people do need to be informed.. Everyone that eats meat should have to work at a Slaughter house for a week.. Understand were your food comes from.. My eggs, when I eat them come from a farm house just up the road from me.. I can see the chickens that are laying the eggs.. These chickens are as free as they can be and still be called farm raised..

Meet your Meat..

• Vane says:

I love the guilt-tripping facts, thanks for exposing the truth of the heartbreaking lives of farmed animals and reminding me that there are kinder choices available. My life is based on political and compassionate choices.

• Ashley D says:

This would be so much better without the constant guilt-tripping facts.

Some people go vegan for reasons other than cute aminaaalllsss being treated badly. I love animals and animal rights, but my dietary choices aren’t based on politics. I don’t need to feel bad when trying to figure out a swap. :

• Jude Ayer says:

Make a pot of whole grain porridge to serve all week. Steel cut oats and wheat berries take an hour to cook. I put some oats, and several other grains in a pot. You have to watch your timing, for instance, the oats go in first along with the wheat berries if you are using them. Then you set the timer for 40 minutes, 20 minutes if you are going to add brown rice, reset for 20 minutes; when the timer goes off, then 20 minutes more if you are adding barley, quinoa or millet. You want to cook a total of 60 minutes. You can have a quick nutritious breakfast by storing the pot in the fridge and scooping out what you want and nuking it.

• Tania says:

Hi. How can i make vegan cream cheese?

• candy sheeran says:

fox: you may eat eggs from your ‘happy’ hens…but eggs are also a bad fat…usa is duped by the meat dairy eggs industry that this food is good for you…but the facts are usa eats these foods out of habit…so please be honest with yourself and admit that the meat dairy and egg industry is all about making money with no regard for gods animals and eating these foods are out of habit and are not good for us…

• candy sheeran says:

fox:…one shouldnt have dairy simply because its a bad fat…especially since most people are overweight…you may justify raw milk and the cows are ‘happy’ but the facts are dairy and eggs are a bad fat…

• Ashley says:

Fox, I don’t know why you feel the need to down grade the valiant efforts of animal activists. People can take the approach they feel is necessary to get a point across…..some of us simply have the passion that you apparently lack towards the matter. Good for you for taking your own approach, however; that is your approach not anyone else’s. Shame on you for getting on your soapbox and speaking down on those who don’t conform to your tactics! We all believe in the same cause here, the fair and humane treatment of animals. Oh, and capitalizing 5 words in a paragraph doesn’t help drive in your point…..it just males you sound rude:-)

• Robert Thomas says:

When you provide helpful information such as “The Ultimate
    Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet”, please put it in a format that can be printed easily. Thank You.

• health for all says:

Thanks–this is great! It’s a challenge to go vegan even when you believe in treating animals and your own body better. These substitutions give hope for great tasting and earth-friendly cooking! Appreciate the post.

• Jennifer says:

Your right, everyone does have a different idea of the moral and ethical values that have been placed with in society. How I personally determine that it is not exceptable for the treatment of diary production is this. I would not want to have machines carelessly hooked up to me and repeated abuse. So if I don’t want this type of life, then why and who am I to put it onto a living, breathing, bleeding life. As for the history of milk production, they didn’t have the same amount of people living back then so the demand wasn’t as great and they also didn’t have the amount of technology as what we have now. Even a known fact for how the women’s body was created, you have to support what is alive now. Plus back in the day, when a women went dry with milk. The community as a whole would donate a bit of milk to a child who needed it but wouldn’t be done in the fashion that it is done now where the demand of want (we don’t need it to live as you stated you are no longer an infant). And at the end of the day. I think that’s what the main question is. Do we really have the right to take away from another living creator when it’s a want instead of something that we need to live.

• Fox says:

We get our raw milk from a producer down the road that does not RIP the calves away. They feed during the day then are separated at night until the morning when the cows are milked. As a breastfeeding mother, I KNOW that the cows appreciate this break. The separation only occurs after a calf is fit enough to not feed during the night. My CHOICE to eat/drink dairy is INFORMED and fitting to the reasons others have given for not having dairy. To change the dairy industry I believe we must support those who do what we demand of them. If you simply don’t partake in their industry they won’t pay attention to your demands unless basically blackmailed by public opinion (then they’ll just be sneakier about their multiple abuses). If you simply dislike the idea of digesting milk for personal reasons, be honest about it. Don’t claim that all us dairy consumers are morally deficit. That is unfair and UNINFORMED. Same goes for eggs. I eat eggs from my own chickens. When hatching, I keep the cockerels just as readily as the hens. No one gets ground at a day-old, etc. Live what you preach and people will pay more attention and take you more seriously instead of writing you off as extremist and, unfortunately for all, crazy. You want people to listen to, not mock, you.

• Lori says:

To Jorge Barreiro: Cow milk it natural for calves. If you think you are getting your milk minus violence, you are wrong. Those poor cows are tortured every day! Their babies are ripped away from them as soon as they are born and the baby calf is NOT allowed to drink from it’s mother so YOU can BUY that milk. It is cruel and disgusting! see this lecture and educate yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

• Yelah says:

@Jorge Barreiro: I respect your opinion and lifestyle, but don’t come here and tell others to inform themselves. YOU’RE the one who needs to inform yourself about the dairy industry. The world and the industries that exploit animals are not as innocent as you seem to believe. It’s NOT about “personal preferences” and the fact that you “don’t believe you’re taking anything away from calves” is just ignorant and naive. Read something other than the Bhagavad Gita and inform YOURSELF.

• Heidi55 says:

Yes, milk is natural. However, the process that factory farms use to produce that milk is unnatural and unhealthy. The cows and baby cows are treated very cruelly and horribly. Hence the need to avoid this product.

• Jorge Barreiro says:

Milk is a natural. It’s given by cows in the mode of goodness, without violence and it’s been the core of nutrition for thousands of years. I wouldn’t change the taste of butter for nothing in this world. I’ve been a dairy vegetarian for over 40 years of my life, I’m 72 at present and keep going on with my mind clean and crisp and my body walking 6 miles a day plus going to the Gym 4 o 5 days a week. I understand people that disagree with me, but I don’t think this is wrong or right, simply personal preferences, but I don’t believe I’m taking anything away from calves. I like some of your recipies but I don’t think they’re a must, simply a choice.
    We can share the source, if it’s in the mode of goodness. Please read the “Bhagavad Gita as it is” and inform yourself.

• rm says:

This will not print legibly, please could you increase the font size and the contrast?

• Maureen Nolan says:

Dear Mark in cincinnati–I hear you. My resolution to your dilemma re the comforter is to either toss it or to find out whether it can be used by PETA for one of their public demonstrations about animal cruelty. I have a leather jacket which I can no longer bear to wear since I have had my consciousness raised about our brethren species’ sufferings. A friend of mine wants it. I’ve decided not to give it to her because my contribution of giving it to her to wear is highly disrespectful of the poor animals whose very bodies were sacrificed. Check with PETA whether they can use it in a demo covered with fake blood. One thing I have decided for sure: Wearing it (in your case, keeping the comforter) does not mean that our fellow creatures died in vain. They have already died in vain. What it does mean is that you and I, out of respect for our fellow beings, will no longer profit from their abuse. We will not benefit from their abuse at the hands of others. Just my 2 cents, Mark Ü

• URach1066 says:

I’ve found that butter can be omitted completely from most recipes. Therefore, no need to use rainforest harming oils and no need to use milk from baby cows!

• @@warezship@@@@@ says:

Making chick pea veggie burgers that call for 4 eggs

• Linda A says:

Printed the Printer Version up and the type is so small I need a magnifying glass to read it….any way to get this in a larger font, perhaps?

• bythetongue says:

It’s too bad that a lot of the oils you want us to use instead destroy many rainforest habitats… There’s no such thing as a perfect vegan, you’ve got to make a choice between the baby farm animals and the baby monkies.

• Raederle says:

That’s a great chart. If you’re looking to bake vegan, excellent chart, in fact. Although, I did “vegan baking” for a year, and then I became raw vegan. Making raw pies is actually way easier than any baking I’ve ever done, way healthier, and tastes just as good and sometimes better. So, just my two cents.

• Steph says:

Hi Dee! Didn’t quite get your email address…is there anyway you can email me the word document to stephjurgens@yahoo.com? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
    Steph

• Dee says:

Hiya, you can email me at ‘dee at kittymail.com’ I’ve got this save as a 2 page word doc. Happy to email it out.

• judy griffin says:

Making chick pea veggie burgers that call for 4 eggs & I am concerned that the baking soda & oil substitute may alter the recipe rendering it too oily. Please advise.

• Wilma says:

Love this information! Wish it was printable.

• Wendy Nankervis says:

I am a Vegan in training (uphill battle with meat ravenous husband). Could barely read these essential tips for baking vegan…doesn’t come out well in the printing either. Please please make printable!

• Karen Martin Sampson says:

We use the Organic Earth Balance Whipped Spread for everything and it works very well and tastes fabulous. I wish they would make the firmer Earth Balance baking quarters with organic ingredients. I put this cheat sheet on my facebook page.

• Ash says:

I’ve also found that substituting 1/4 cup apple sauce & 1/2 tsp baking powder per egg in baked goods works – everyone always comments how moist my cakes are! :)

I swear by Becel Vegan – it tastes the same as regular stuff and sells for the same price in most grocery stores, and because it’s a brand non-vegans are familiar with, it’s been easy to convince my family to make the switch. :) http://www.becel.ca/en_ca/products/vegan.aspx

• Emma:D says:

A lot of margarine isn’t very healthy; if you want a healthier vegan alternative to butter try the organic Earth Balance Whipped Spread. Thank you for the cheat sheet, by the way PETA (:

• PEACEANIMAL says:

Could this be reformatted into a booklet. SUCH a great holiday ‘tranistional’ gift for non-vegans! But no way to make the printing work!!

• Shirley Hergesheimer says:

This is good info. and I would like to share it with others. Please make it printable. The light print will not show up.

Thanks,
    Shirley

• Lora says:

Thanks for this, very useful indeed.

Tip: When the Print dialog appears go to Page Handling> Page Scaling > Tile large pages before hitting OK. That will print 8 pages, just tape them together. The final result: a poster size Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet.

Happy vegan baking everyone!

• Nina says:

Thank you for this Chart.
    For those who had trouble printing it, I found the print ‘Current View’ option worked for me. Once it’s printing the first section, PGDN and do print ‘Current View’ again. I printed 5 pages using this method (I wasn’t interested in printing the disclaimer bit). Then I glued the pages together and stuck it into my pantry.

• Mireille Poirier says:

The print out option comes out very big and does not print the whole content, even though I programmed my printer to make page fit and printing from the web page, the print out is too small to read. Can you help?

• Tinker says:

I love your chart. I wish I could print it out but when you go to “Get Printer Friendly version here” It really isn’t printer friendly. My printer will only print out the middle of the chart. And if I try to print directly from the screen the print is too small. Is there someplace where I could send a self addressed stamped business envelope and a donation so I can get a small poster version of this. It would be a great thing to tack to the inside of my baking cabinet.

• Kym R says:

I agree with Leeann and bodytudes , the print is far to difficult to read, the lavender is for me. Thank you for the information but please make the print more legible.