The Ultimate Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet

Baking should be a joyful experience for everyone involved. Spare the lives of countless animals by choosing to make your favorite recipes vegan. Save a copy of PETA’s Ultimate Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet and begin baking with compassion!

Click image to enlarge.

Get the printer-friendly version here!

Now that you’ve got all the resources you need, browse hundreds of free recipes in our databases to get started.

Commenting is closed.
  • Leeann says:

I can’t read the small print, the blacks aren’t black enough and I, too, would prefer you didn’t use red, green and blue in the wording. Thank you for the wonderful info., but it’s too difficult to read.

• ChazzaW says:

Great suggestions,especially the milk alternatives.

• Valerie says:

Thank you for this information. It has been very useful.

• Denise says:

Some people do not know the difference between leavening and binding. You might also want to explain those 2 aspects of baking!

• bodytudes says:

I enjoy this wonderful cheat sheet but, is it possible to make the PDF in multiple pages. When you print it out for reference in the kitchen, the print is so small you can’t read it. This appears to be a 28 x 11 document that when made a 1 page pdf it is so small you can hardly read it. Old eyes have trouble with it.

• Gerold says:

Thanks for the info, but to reach a larger audience, may I suggest avoiding red and green text. About 10% of the population is Daltonian and this makes it hard to distinguish these two color combinations. Higher contrast would also be appreciated.
    Best regards,
    GR

• m. weezy. says:

dope. C:

• Skye says:

Vinegar also works as an egg replacer. :)

• Mouthrot says:

A printer friendly version would not have a colored background. Also the text would be thicker and bigger.

I think this sheet would be better if it just explained the replacers rather than go into detail about animal cruelty. If you want to make vegan cooking seem appealing, leave the gory details out.

• chigirl68 says:

I agree with Anna. The printer friendly version really is not. If I could even set up to print on 2 sides would help. I can’t even transfer it to Word to do that. when I print it on standard letter size, I can’t read what I need to. It’s too small.

• Laura says:

Omg, this is SO awesome. I can’t wait to try these tomorrow!! -^^-

• bje says:

You can use regular cooking oil, like soy oil or less healthy still, solids like crisco to replace butter and regular margarin in recipes. If you use vegan margarine it usually adds more water to the recipe. Oils will make thing a bit more crumbly and lighter. If you use organic tofu it is not unhealthy, but you can boil down almond milk if you don’t care for soy and strain out the liquids, but that is rather expensive. Some folks use unsweetened apple sauce for oil to replace in recipes.

• Autumn says:

I right clicked on the article, and then clicked “print picture”. You get a bigger copy :-)

• Anna says:

Definitely wish this was printable on an 8 1/2 X 11. It would definitely be going on my fridge.

• Bella says:

My problem with this is that margarine is really, really unhealthy. So I’d rather not use it… could you substitute that with coconut oil or anything else? Same for tofu, actually: not the healthy choice. Is there anything to substitute for that?

• Sydnaaaaay says:

Wow, this is SUPER helpful…Thank you PETA!

• Lillie says:

I love neat all-together information sheets and would love to pass this out during outreach events, but your graphic defies printing in a readable size on a standard paper size. Can you simplify it so it can be printed on an 8 x 11 sheet in readable-sized font ?
    Love the way you tell the facts of animal “husbandry,” seemingly an oxymoron!
    Thanks.

• Kari says:

This is great but it would be really great if you had a printer friendly version so people could actually print it out easily.

• Jessica says:

I noticed that Becel has a vegan margarine out now, which is easy to find in any grocery store.

• Jag says:

Is there a printer-friendly version of this cheat sheet available?

• Sarah says:

Hey Caro! I’m not vegan; I’m vegetarian, but bone char refined sugar is still an issue for me too. For my baking, I use Whole Foods’ Vegan Cane Sugar. It’s just a start. I hope we all get more information.

• Christina says:

Earth Balance is the name of the vegan “margarine”. Also, you can buy organic sugar that has not been bleached and does not use bones. Just read the label at the store. Probably main stream sugar is made this way so you will have to shop at an organic grocery store to find it.

• nmvegangirl says:

Where can we get a printable version of this wonderful handout?

• Cassie says:

All organic sugars and brown sugars are vegan. White granulated sugar contains animal bones (used for color)

• veganvamp says:

beet sugar, castor sugar , brown rice tyrup, agave syrup etc. vegan sugar even powdered agave are all available at Whole Foods. In the U.S. sorry Europe.
    Vegan margarine is made by Earth Balance here but in Europe, the excellent and delicious Belgian manufacturer PROVAMEL is widely for sale in health food stores throughout, for instance, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

• Dee says:

Hi Maria, vegan margarine is usually in the same place dairy margarine is. You’ll have to check the ingredients or some may actually say dairy free. They are usually a vegetable oil base or something. Some places may actually be labelled vegan but in New Zealand where I live, they aren’t quite that forward about labelling things vegan.

Caro – Raw sugar is vegan, no bone using refining process needed for that sugar. Otherwise some places do sell vegan sugar in specialty shops etc.

• Dee says:

Wow, I’m so pleased so many people emailed me for an A4 word copy – I’ve just replied and sent it to the 11 people who emailed me. If you didn’t see my message, here it is:
    I’ve taken the file and broken it down to 2 A4 pages in a word document if you want me to email it to you??? You can email me on dee@kittymail.com and I’ll send it to you!

• Val says:

@Caro:Basically, vegans try not to eat regular sugar where they can (like me)and instead use agave nectar or other organic/unprocessed sugar.
    @Maria:My favorite vegan butters are Earth Balance (now they even have it in several variations like whipped, etc.)

Have a great vegan journey!!

• Caro says:

Thinking about going vegan here, and I’m confused: I thought sugar was not considered to be vegan as animal bones are used in the refining process? Can you please tell me which kinds of sugar are safe and vegan please? Thanks!

• MARIA LUISA VILLAGRAN L. DE G. says:

Thank you for the cooking options. But would you please explain me what is the vegan margarine, where it comes from? thank you.

• Donna Connelley says:

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I am so thrilled to get the formula for the sweetened condensed milk!

• Elsje Parsons Massyn says:

I so wish we had more vegan (farm sanctuary) type of venues like America. I was very blessed by Jesica Tucker and friends trying to make a change in the chef’s world. There should be many more TV programmes and exposure to the world in whats really going on the the farm industry, i.e. cow’s being taken away from their babies, and the babies ending up as veal in some butchery. Shame on the meat-industry.

• Michele says:

This would be great as a hand out for tabling events!!

• jessica tucker says:

This is the best thing that has happened to me in forever!!!
    I am a baking student at le cordon bleu and a vegan… so what I make in class doesn’t always correspond with what I can eat. My chefs work with me to figure out how to veganize the school’s recipes… so this is a great heads up to all of us!

• Kittie says:

It’s fate!
    I was just looking for a vegan egg “replacer” for cake.

• Dee says:

• Brandal says:

This is extremely valuable, especially for new vegans like myself. Plus, it’s just cute!

I too, had problems with the printing aspect. I tried downloading it as a photo, I tried copying and pasting into Word (which deletes the bottom half of the document,) and I tried joliprinting it, all to no avail. If there’s a way to print it, I’m sure it would be hanging in many vegan kitchens. I would even be willing to pay a few bucks if you converted it to a poster and mailed it out.

• Neva says:

Yes, a printable cheat sheet if possible, and please notify if you do put one up!

• Erin H says:

I love this sheet – could you please post a printer-friendly version? I am a new vegan and this would be great to post in my kitchen for easy access!

• Cindy Allen says:

I agree. I would love a printable version of this cool cheat sheet, and I would love more things like this. Thank you, PETA!!

• Missy Timberman says:

I was able to copy / paste and email to myself to print out the full copy…

• Missy Timberman says:

I was able to copy / paste and email to myself to print out the full copy…

• Tamara Kustka says:

Are you going to set this up so that people can read it better and print it out?

• lynn tripp says:

you need a printable version so i can give it to my friends!!!

• Kidgreenville says:

I would love to print out the Cheat Sheet-But sadly it will only print out the first part;0(

• Patti/kitn says:

Now that we’ve accomplished vegan diets, what about Celiac oriented food and recipes for those of us who can’t have wheat or rely on food that you wouldn’t approve of for iron. I can’t take iron pills or anything fast or my legs will go into seizures.

I would pass out and wouldn’t wake up sometimes until my body said it slept enough but at the same time I was dizzy and constantly spinning and thought I was slowly dying, That can happen with Celiac Disease but then I found out I was borderline enemic,

I following my doctors advice on what foods to eat since iron was not an option. I take double the vitamins now and just jump to 1000 mg of B-12 and that’s been helping me but I do once in a long while will eat wild salmon. Farm fresh is not safe since they add color to it. But it’s a frustrating life trying to figure what to eat that is safe and trying to think if it has animal ingredient gets exhausting. But I’m still learning to remove meats from my diet. I still have chicken legs for soup once in a while but steaks and pork and all that almost makes me want to throw up after seeing alot of videos not only here but on youtube and wow, I had no idea how much animals were being abused and that made me so angry and gave me more of a reason to hate the human race that hurt animals and trust humans even less.

I too have been traumatized and hurt by the hands of humana and never again. my wall is up and just those who really really close to me like family are the only people I trust, they protect me due to my disability.

Anyways are there any recipes that are also veggie gluten free?

Anyways didn’t mean to do a dear diary, but my delima is some vegan food I see in stores don’t say Gluten and wheat free or I have seen wheat in the ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I could eat alot of veggies and salads but once in a while I like to have a hamburger and only managed to find one that is gluten free but don’t know how the meat is made.

• Susan Lowenberg says:

For delicious, healthy sugar free vegan recipes, please see my website: http://bakewithdates.com Also visit my blog: http://bakewithdates.blogspot.com

• Alexia says:

This is one of the greatest things I’ve ever read. I live in country where no there are no substitutes to buy in stores. So this is the best! Thank you so much! :)

• Clementine says:

This is a great cheat sheet for all the vegan bakers out there! Thanks Peta!

• Jess says:

This is fantastic (and super cute!). It would be great if you did one of these formatted for 8×10 so that we could print them off and put them on our refrigerators for easy reference!