No Bake Carrot Cake Courtesy of Lookbook Cookbook
No Bake Carrot Cake
For the Cake:
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dried dates, pitted
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup shredded dried coconut
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin coconut oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
Pinch sea salt
Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- Put the walnuts in a food processor and blend into a coarse powder. Add the dates, carrots, and coconut and pulse a few times. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt and blend until a sticky dough is formed. Do not overmix.
- Remove from the blender and place in an 8-inch-by-8-inch dish or container. Use a rubber spatula to smooth out and distribute evenly. Be sure to press the dough down so that it becomes compact. Place in the freezer to set while you make frosting (5-10 minutes.)
For the Frosting:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour and rinsed well
1/3 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
5 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extra
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Pinch sea salt
1 Tbsp. purified water, or as needed
- To make the frosting, put the cashews in a food processor and blend into a coarse powder. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the water, and mix until smooth. (Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides intermittently while mixing.) If the frosting is too thick, add 1/2 tablespoonful of purified water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and use a rubber spatula to spread the frosting on top. Put back in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into small squares to serve. Garnish with orange zest before serving, if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 9 servings