Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad Over Mashed Beans
The following article was written by Carissa Leventis-Cox of Mama in the Kitchen, and she ain’t cookin’!
We got to our local health food shop just in time the other day to buy the last five ears of local organic sweet corn. We were excited because we love our Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad! We enjoy the salad plain or in lettuce as wraps … or even in a half-raw/half-cooked meal. Today, we enjoyed it over mashed white kidney beans. Try this easy, healthy, and colorful appetizer or main dish just in time for Cinco de Mayo! Delicioso!
Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad
1 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
1–2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 handful cilantro leaves
1 avocado, cubed
4 ears of corn, cut off the cob
- Mix the salt, garlic, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Combine with the tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, and corn.
Mashed White Kidney Beans
(the easy-for-Mama way)
3 cups white kidney beans
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt and herbs, to taste
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the next morning.
- Place in a slow cooker on high until soft (usually around 9 hours).
- Heat 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook the onion in the water until softened.
- Add the cumin.
- Add all the cooked beans and mash.
- Season with salt and herbs, if desired.
Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad Over Mashed White Kidney Beans
Mashed White Kidney Beans (see recipe)
Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad (see recipe)
Cilantro, tortilla chips, or flax seed crackers
- Place some Mashed White Kidney Beans on a plate.
- Top with Avocado, Corn, and Tomato Salad.
- Garnish with cilantro, tortilla chips, or a flax seed cracker.
Makes 4 servings
Commenting is closed.
In This Section
Products temporarily unavailable.