Another Deadly Tea Company

This post originally appeared on The PETA Files.

The maker of the popular iced tea beverage Nestea is torturing mice and rats in experiments in an attempt to examine the health effects of tea, even though these deadly experiments are not required by law and humane in vitro and human clinical studies can be used to justify health claims for tea products.

Nestlé (the maker of Nestea) and the experimenters it hires to do its dirty work have used mice who are made to suffer from brain dysfunction and rapid aging, force-fed them green tea extracts, and locked them in a dark chamber where they receive painful shocks before they are killed. In one pointless and cruel test, mice made to suffer from muscle degeneration were fed green tea extracts, after which experimenters cut open the animals’ leg muscles and killed the mice “by decapitation.”

Just four months ago, the maker of Lipton tea agreed to stop testing on animals after meeting with PETA and hearing from more than 40,000 of our supporters. Let’s go two for two. Please contact Nestea today and urge it to spare animals from torturous tea tests.

Commenting is closed.
  • jessica says:

no test

• Diana Posey says:

I love tea but definitely won`t be buying any more Nestle products after I heard this. Why all this cruelty inflicted on the innocents who suffer the same as humans but cannot defend themselves.

• Justin Kenneth Bankston Prater says:

I find it atrocious that a company would reduce itself to such a low means of testing its products. Being locked in a “dark chamber where they receive painful shocks before they are killed” is much like what Hitler did to the Jews. That’s right. I am comparing Nestle to Hitler. Furthermore, why on Earth would you want to eat something that was tested on a mouse?

• Susan Oneill says:

I will be forced to no longer purchase Lipton tea if this isnt stopped.

• Inbar says:

Horrific

• lesley murray says:

Please spare these mice a torturous death, its a disgrace in this day and age to do such a barbaric thing – and there is absolutely no need for it STOP NOW!!!!!!!!

• Jo Ellen Hoffman says:

The next step is to boycott Nestea for such cruel practices, if you don’t stop.

• Karin Andrino says:

I’m completely shocked to learn that such needless torture is part of the Nestea’s company. Please stop the animal abuse and use other types of humane testing. Until your company takes action I am boycotting your products (all Nestle) and encouraging my family and friends to do so as well.
    - Karin Andrino
    California

• NM Porter says:

Please stop toturing these animals in your useless testing.

• gail dean says:

Please stop using these little creatures in these painful experiments. You should be ashamed. Animals have a purpose and not for your cruel testing!!

• Keri Columbel says:

Really? Are we not in an age of innovation? Can you not think of something that is not cruel and useless and still serve your purpose??

• Arleen Farina says:

Please just stop being cruel and inhumane. No further comment necessary.

• Anna Manefox says:

Please, please find it in your hearts to stop the torture and killing of innocent animals in your tests. It is cruel and I find it horrible that you use animals this way.

Anna Manefox

• Leah Huehne says:

Please stop using mice and rats this dangerous and harmful way to test your products!!! They are innocent animals, and no matter how small they are they do not deserve to be treated the way that you are treating them! There are other alternatives to test your products, PETA will help you find them if you just stop testing on animals. Please!!!

• amanda sullivan says:

Please stop these dreadful experiments – they do not appear to be necessary and give you’re company nothing but very negative exposure. You alienate many of your customers and potential customers by carrying out these cruel experiments on defenceless creatures and should stop immediately.

• .... says:

Oh my Gosh, that’s awful! I will never drink Ice Tea again!!!!!!! Terrible!

• Gretchn says:

Stop!

• Tatjana says:

stop testing on animals!!!!

• donat says:

Thankyou PeTA and Nestle! I realy love animals. Thanks to stop killing them. Thankyou! :)

• Kristi Clampitt says:

Im terribly disappointed in Nestles needless animal testing. I will not associate, nor let my friends and family associate with any products from Nestle until the company has stopped all animal testing.

• Natalie says:

I will no longer be buying anything Nestle untill they stop this horrible, out of dated technique they call animal testing. By by Nestle’s, you will miss me more than I will miss you!

• Vaida Maleckaite says:

this is such a shame I have no words! Torturing animals for tea? Really, Nestea? Well, you can be sure no animal lover will buy your precious tea now!

• Anik says:

Spare animals from torturous tea tests.

• Pamela says:

THIS IS A BARBARIC AND SENSELESS ACT!!I am appalled by nestea for knowing and allowing this to go on.How would they like to be in this situation.I Will never buy any NESTEA product ever!!And i will pass the word around to other people.THIS NEEDS TO STOP IMMEDIATLY!!

• Lucy Saboia says:

It´s a crime, stop it!

• Stacy2455 says:

This is horrendous!!! I just want these people to know how these mice have feelings. How can anyone live with torturing and killing? Mice and all other animals are gifts for the earth. I hope they listen just like Lipton.

• staceynm says:

This is cruel and unnecessary to treat animals in such a way they feel pain even if they are only small creatures, please stop testing on animals what type of people have we become to kill an animal just to test the benefits of something when there are other ways to do so ?

• suzanne tugman says:

Please find other ways to “test” your green tea products. Until I hear other wise, I will stop purchasing all your products and spread the word to everyone I know that your testing is not only outdated and cruel, but that when we purchase any one of your products, we as the consumer are supporting your poor standard of testing.
    I would think that by now, your company would elect to be a leader in making the world a better place for all its inhabitants as it is the standard that you set that future generations will remember you by.
    Suzanne Tugman

• suzanne tugman says:

Suzanne Tugman

• Barbara Mertens says:

I`m English and drink lots of tea but I won`t be drinking any more of yours until you stop this unnecessary torture of animals.

• tina Vroomen says:

Stop using animals, there are other ways.

• Lucie Šneberkov says:

Terrible! This must be stopped!

• Cheryl Ulrich says:

If Lipton can do it , why can’t YOU , Nestle ???? :(

• Dee Wilson says:

I shallll boycott your company’s products until this stops

• Tavia says:

Plrease stop the pointless torturing of innocent animals. Just four months ago, the maker of Lipton tea agreed to stop testing on animals after meeting with PETA and hearing from more than 40,000 of our supporters. Please follow their compassionate footsteps and stop the torture!

• Eric Shriver says:

I find any kind of expiramentation on animals deplorable. People who can do this are psychopathic. I will never buy another product by Nestle, that I’m aware of, and haven’t since I foud out about the stealing of Great Lake water.

• sophie says:

this must stop i drank nestea but now im stopping …drinking a tea whose company tortures animals….like giving money to murderers

• sandy says:

murders!!!!!!!!!!! stop the cruel treatment of mice

• Aldo Muño says:

I won’t drink any tea from Nestle until they stop testing ay of their products on animals.

• Mukesh Tanwar says:

It is again a sad news for humanity to witness such ghastly and gruesome act in the name of either helping humanity or just profit-making.

When alternative methods of testing are present due to advancement of science, it is sad to see that organisatiosn like these are still making innocent and helpless creatures suffer for there mony-making…

I am not able to understand why are the advances in science and technology focussed on making lives of us humans better only? It will be a noble act if such advancements atleast focussed on making lives of voiceless and helpless creatures peaceful to live if not make any better.

• Deborah McColley says:

Come on, there is no need to experiment of poor animals, for your stupid tea. Won’t be buying anything from your company, and any others companies owned by Nestle. Lipton stopped, and you can too.

• Deborah McColley says:

• veronica Todd says:

Please do not experiment on mice this way, I will not buy any more of your products and will tell others about this, it is just not necessary to injure and kill for your tea..

• veronica todd says:

• rani chandi says:

Please please stop this barbaric treatment of these poor mice. such violence is simply unnecessary. I will not be buying any of your products nor will my friends and family unless you stop this immediately.

• James says:

Haven’t Peta and Greenpeace had a word with Nestle before about the killings of orang-outangs and palm oil.

• sandra dearing says:

Please join Lipton and be a company that we all can be proud of and end these stupid clinical studies. We all will sleep better & buy more Nestea products! Until then…I will not purchase anything for my family made by your company! TY I know you can do it!
    ~Sandra

• Brian Hass says:

What a cruel company. I will be sure not to purchase your products!

• Amy Hass says:

This is very sad and breaks my heart.. You are cruel and inhumane. One day you will have to answer for your greedy actions.

• Hanna Kuusijärv says:

stop that stupid animal testing NOW!