Accidentally Vegan Food List

Grocery stores carry an array of great-tasting vegan options, including some items that you might not know are vegan. Accidentally vegan foods are those that were not created intentionally to be marketed to vegan eaters. Many products, including faux franks; veggie burgers; chicken-free chicken patties; flavored soy, almond, and rice milks; nondairy ice creams; and other sensational snacks, are marketed to vegetarians and vegans. However, there’s also an abundance of chips, dips, cookies, candies, frozen pies, soups, and other mouthwatering items produced by some of the most well-known brands that are also vegan.*

Take a stroll through your local grocery store and check out some ingredient lists, and you’ll see what we mean. You may even be surprised to find that a few of your favorite indulgences happen to be vegan! For example, did you know that Pepperidge Farm Turnovers, Murray Butter Cookies, and Cracker Jacks are all vegan?

Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region. Companies frequently change their formulations, so read labels prior to purchasing. We are constantly updating this list, so if you know of a vegan product that isn’t currently listed or if you find a product here that isn’t vegan, please contact PETA.

Thank you, and happy munching!

Breakfast (Dry)
Beverages
Snacks
Condiments
Baked Goods
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
Baking
Staples

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please click here.

Commenting is closed.
  • Taylor says:

Tania, it’s the same way in the US. People seem to get defensive when I say I’m vegetarian. Like they think I’m attacking them or something. I’m not the type that tries to convert people or insists they not eat meat in front of me (though many people seem to make the assumption). I have definitely had people make negative comments to me because I choose not to have anything die because of me. It’s incredibly annoying. At least in the UK you guys have everything labeled as vegetarian or not. It’s impossible to get straight answers here about ingredients. I basically can’t buy any cheese products because most companies refuse to list what kind of enzyme they use…yet those same companies seem to be fine with letting the UK know if something is vegetarian or not. For the same exact products here they claim it’s impossible to know what they use. It would just be nice if they all stopped using animal enzymes. It would make my life a lot easier. I’m sure everyone else is sick of the conversation at restaurants that goes “Does the cheese have rennet?” “Does it have what”? “Rennet” “How do you spell that?” “R-E-N-N-E-T” “Let me check”….”Nope, the package just says enzymes” “Ok, nevermind…I’ll get something else” – I have only been to one restaurant where the server actually knew what I was talking about AND knew the answer.

• marsolais says:

5 of my kids and i saw a vegan documentary yesterday and we all agree after seeing the horror and terror animals go through on our behalf is just too much for us to stomach . we cannot digest suffering and be healthy

• Keeper of the Animal Kingdom says:

How do you make a pie without dairy products? Do they use GMO products in their place? I am not sure that is a step in the right direction. Are these accidently vegan products brewed in a lab somewhere? Please do more investigation into all of these products. PETA rocks!!!!!

• Connie says:

Former President Clinton has gone vegan for 2 years and lost 30 pounds. Just read about it in the AARP magazine current issue. I am considering going vegan also mainly because I love animals and do not like all the cruelty involved there. There should be more restaurants offering vegan menus. It will be a challenge but I feel it will be worth it. Organic is more expensive too but worth it also. If all the farmers would stop raising animals to sell and start raising vegetables and fruit that would be wonderful.

• melissa says:

Thank you so much this list is really helpful

• Tania says:

I’m not sure about you guys in the US but here in the UK if you mention being a vegetarian everyone looks at you like your a freak. There’s not a great choice here in the UK I’m in the process of looking for different websites where I can source some vegan bits and bobs as I want make the transition fully to vegan. If you walk into a local supermarket here you’d be lucky to pick up a vegetarian sandwhich. I wish there were more vegetarian/vegan restaurants but feel where I live they are so un-educated about animal cruelty and where their food comes from honestly no or seems to care! .. It’s extremely frustrating. I want to be able to pop into my local store and buy some cruelty-free food! Maybe one day the Uk will follow the US as all these decent vegan foods seem to come from there! If anyone does know of any good websites that ship to UK please let me know .. Thanks x Tania x

• clockwork says:

Hello, I’m new to becoming a vegan. I looked at bagels posted on here and they have salt and sugar that I don’t know how they’re processed. Even though that’s listed, the items are still vegan? I just want to make sure. I’ve been having a very difficult time with salt/sugar in items. Thank you.

• Lauren Alyse says:

@Toniann, mono and diglycerides can be animal or vegetable based. If there is no cholesterol in the food it is not (likely) animal based.

• benelux2000 says:

Sam, I am an Organic Vegan. It’s not hard at all. Why would you want dangerous chemicals racing through your body that is even more toxic to you than animal products? It’s not hard at all actually. There’s a lot of pre-packaged organic and vegan foods. If you’re going Vegan you want to think of why you’re doing it… is it to be healthy? is it because killing animals are bad, etc? For me it’s a health issue… I was all organic before I was vegan so I didn’t have to change much. So you can do it… and I have a TIGHT budget too.

• momz2gd says:

Some Jello cook n serve pudding is vegan. So is oreo and shortbread pie shells. Save-a-lot store brand caramel and chocolate stripe cookies are vegan.

• Christina Gray says:

If anyone is having trouble taking the plunge into veganism ohsheglows.com has crazy awesome vegan recipes. Everything I’ve tried is amazing. Also, earthlings.com streams a free documentary that is nick-named the “vegan maker.”

• Toniann says:

I have hershey’s syrup from before I was vegan but the ingredients list mono and diglycerides. Grandma’s peanut butter sandwich cookies also list monoglycerides. Other than that this list has helped me so much on my path to vegansim =)

• Mark Joseph Midddleton says:

Sam it is not totally unrealistic to stick with organic. Its a simple, is this organic yes or no. It doesn’t take more than a second. I buy mostly organic with a few things that are not, because I go to shops locally where they sell it and weekly I order online from a nearby farm, which saves me shopping, petrol and time. If you are asking the question is it too offputting no. It might be to you, but to me its simply saying whats the best food I can eat right now, and yes the best food can mean taste. If organic, raw, vegan is available I have that, if raw/vegan is there I have that, if vegan is there i have that etc.

Been Vegan is easy eating out. – You just don’t eat meat or dairy, it really is that simple. If you are smart you ask the restaurant if they make dishes ahead of time, the good ones make their own food, so they already know what is in it – and thus can make you very tasty vegan dishes. If you are doing it on the fly, you just eat the salad bar, fruits, and the vegetable dishes with sauces you know. Couldn’t be simpler.

• hunt90 says:

trying to eventually go vegan..i have..stopped eating everythimg but fish..occasionally chicken..its inly been 3weeks..also all procesded meetsany one have any great transitional recipes.or.stores that ae vegetarian.friendly

• kathy davis says:

For anyone trying to go vegan- this site does list out a lot of great, easy-to-find items. If you are wanting to expand beyond that and look at labels more, having a smart phone is a must. I am constantly googling “is ________ vegan” or “vegan options at __________”. there are also animal-friendly vegan apps that list ingredients that are or could be derived from animal sources. Makes life so easy! best of luck to all trying! (been vegan 2 years now and vegetarian a year before that :D)

• Vickie says:

I am trying to be vegan but finding it difficult to learn what things in food are not vegan. Are miracle reds made by macro life naturals vegan. It lists lactobacillus on the ingredients. I know casein, whey are not vegan are there any other ingredients I should be looking for?

• StillDeciding says:

I am still deciding whether or not to become vegan but I have always wanted to do it

• Sam says:

Tiago,

Thanks for your comment and suggestion, but seriously I see it is totally unrealistic to always stick with organic and the most unwanted thing is to be neurotic about everything and why get into such. I know there are conventional food that is Vegan and in practicality we all end up having to face business luncheons and being invited over to hosts’ houses for meal and cannot guarantee or shouldn’t expect what we eat is organic even if we specified Vegan to them. Plus, isn’t demanding organic on top of vegan to nonveg, pescetarian or vegetarian friends or business partners way too picky and offputting?

• chase says:

are the ore ida extra crispy golden crinkles vegan?

• StartingVegan says:

This going to help me out a lot when I start my vegan diet next month. A little nervous about the journey, but I am planing on be a vegan for life.

• sandra says:

Thank u for the info.. i have been vegan alittle over a year and feel that still a lot to learn about the lifestyle..

• Tiago Feitosa says:

I’d like to suggest any vegan to restrict his/her diet to only organic natural foods, and avoid at any costs industrialized products. Organic means respectful, respectful with nature, water, air, earth, and everyone involved…Mother Earth thank you for the cooperation!

• Dan says:

Yeah, what happens to the sugar in them?
    Also, Lindt dark chocolate bars *may* contain traces of milk. ???

• PETA says:

@Melissa, check out this link for our stance: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/tiny-amount-of-animal-products-in-food.aspx However, if you’d like to only use sugar free of bone char, there is a list here: http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Are-animal-ingredients-included-in-white-sugar.aspx

• DarlingLilly says:

imma try this new lifestyle out(:

• Hop says:

Does any one know why Jell-o Instant Vanilla Pudding is ok but Jell-o Instant Butterscotch Pudding is not, please? The ingredients are the same as far as I can tell….?
    Thanks.

• katie says:

I’ve been searching vegan/vegetarian grocery lists & I find this very helpful, thank you

• Melissa says:

Question.
    i am wondering how you’ve come to make this list ..
    Most of these ingredients contain sugar .. which is not naturally
    white and takes its colour from animal bones ?

• Herbert Johnson says:

Thanks PETA
    Interesting and helpful list. I have been a vegetarian for 45 years and Vegan for 13. Your list is informative and helpfulfor all who are interested.

• Karina says:

Hello,

I saw that Oreos are in the Accidental Vegan Foods list, but when I previously looked it up online it said, that it is unknown, because since the main ingredient is sugar, it cannot be known if it is white cane sugar or beet sugar that was used to produce it. Is this true, or do you have information that says beet sugar is used.

Also, if you are unaware of the difference, do you support consuming white cane sugar for vegans? if so, why?

Thank you.

• Laura says:

Is there a bread that can be bought at a non-specialty grocery store that is vegan?

• Pearl says:

El Mexicano Marias Cookies are vegan. They are in the Mexican food section of stores and sold for about .59 a pack. They are basically a shortbread cookie make with vegetable shortening instead of lard or butter.

• Tonya says:

Is the lower sugar version of the apples and cinnamon oatmeal vegan? There are a couple more ingredients in the lower sugar option.

• Kacee says:

Oreos are vegan

• Rachel says:

Im thinking Craisins Cranberry and Chocolate Trail Mix is vegan. the ingredients for the chocolate chips are sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, dextrose, soy lecithin(an emulsifier) and vanillin (an artificial flavor). The allergens lists peanuts, almonds, cashews and soybean. :)

• Kitty says:

are Gushers vegan?

• Mady says:

There should be a pinterest tag for this!

• Elly says:

Tofutti makes some milk free icecream! It tastes so much better than the dairy kind. Here’s the link to the site where it shows all the different flavors they have: http://www.tofutti.com/?page_id=76

• Jordan says:

To Jaaaade, there’s a great ice cream called Soy. I’m not sure what your allergens are, however, soy comes in various different flavors and is wonderfully delicious! It’s made from either soy, coconut or almond milk (going back to the allergens point- depends on which one you get). I’ve been able to find it at any grocery store, highly recommend!

• Ellen says:

Is Frank’s Red Hot (original or otherwise) vegan? I have heard that it is.

• jaaaade says:

vegan ice cream? anyone know of some…

• Princess says:

Plain/original cheerios are vegan in the uk. Obviously not the honey ones though x

• Princess says:

Wrigleys, airwaves, orbit complete, extra mints/gum and starbursts are all vegan, never tested on or do not use any animal derived ingredients, some used non-animal glycerin only. Got this from their website and many vegans have confirmed its true, some have emailed them directly e.t.c.

Some vegan toothpaste do not contain xylitol(hearhier version of fluoride) which teeth need so chewing orbit complete can help with that.

Skittles however are definitely not vegan nor are tooty frooties which some vegans had mistakely been eating. Jelly tots, trebor soft mints/fruits and asda rhubarb and custards are all vegan.

Hope this helps xx

• Jen says:

I understand that being vegan promotes a healthier lifestyle for most, but some of us are not doing it for health reasons. We are simply against animal cruelty, so I’m not interested in the posts about staying away from this or that because it’s unhealthy. As long as it doesn’t contain animal ingredients, I’m all for it! Your health is just that, your own. Hurting other living creatures is another matter. I am probably the least healthiest vegan you’d ever meet…I smoke, I drink, and I adore french fries, but I am not consuming animals or animal products. In my book, that’s all that counts.

• Annalese says:

did you know that oreos are kind of vegan; the only thing questionable would be the sugar processing. ps most candies that are chewy like gum, star bursts, ect. contain a form of gelatin which is derived from animal as mentioned above.

• madison says:

did u know gelatin is not vegan. Some jello’s have pigm parts in them.

• Bobbie Carnell says:

Very helpful. Thanks!

• Tach says:

Stay away from artificial sweeteners, HFCS, preservatives, artificial flavors, and processed food. That is not healthy for anyone…even you are a vegetarian, if you eat that “junk” you are killing yourself. Stick with natural food please.

• Leila says:

Skittles aren’t something I’d personally consider vegan…but I don’t want to eat shellac or junk food(refined sugars)…

• Samantha says:

So is organic sugar processed with bone char?