Accidentally Vegan Food List

Vegan Snacks

Grocery stores carry an array of great-tasting vegan options, including some items that you might not know are vegan. “Accidentally vegan” foods are those that were not created intentionally to be marketed to vegan* eaters.

Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region. Companies frequently change their formulations, so read labels prior to purchasing. We are constantly updating this list, so if you know of a vegan product that isn’t currently listed or if you find a product here that isn’t vegan, please contact PETA.

Thank you, and happy munching!

Breakfast (Dry)
Beverages
Snacks
Condiments
Baked Goods
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
Baking
Staples

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please click here.

Commenting is closed.
  • vanessa says:

is america crystal sugar vegan!? what brands are? domino?

• Hat says:

Jell-O? Really? I thought gelatin was in all Jell-Os. Same thing with Sour Patch Kids.

And doesnt Cap’n Crunch have cane sugar, which is whitened by the bones of cattle?

And also anything made by Jelly Belly is proudly vegan!

• Sheelagh says:

Bone char (charcoal made from cattle bones) is used to whiten cane sugar. Any product that lists “sugar” as an ingredient most likely contains white cane sugar, and is therefore NOT vegan. For myself, as a practising vegan, if sugar is the only animal ingredient, I do not always reject the product — it depends on its other merits. However, I do not purchase white cane sugar for my own table. There are many, many readily available vegan sweeteners: e.g, raw cane sugar (available at Giant Eagle and other supermarkets), beet sugar, brown rice sugar, agave nectar, Stevia, etc. Also, please note, some people believe that Kosher certified sugar is vegan, but that is not true. It only certifies that no animal product is IN the sugar; it does not certify that bone char was not used in the whitening process.

• Lae says:

Pringles? no pringles?
    May this please have an update… ^_^

• Rachael says:

@Faye, you say cane sugar is not vegan? Could you explain to me why this is not, as its a plant. Am I missing something?

• Todd says:

That would be great if someone came up with an i phone app. That would come in handy while you’re shopping at a reg supermarket

Todd

• Faye says:

Regular white cane sugar is not vegan. All the products listed contains sugar. What type of sugar is used? Cane or beet? How could all the products possibly be vegan if they use regular white cane sugar?

• Lipa says:

It would be infinitely helpful if there was an iPhone app which contained this list. Please consider making one! Thank you kindly c:

• Tulip says:

They don’t have a category of supplements here. I think it’s a good idea to supplement when I know that I am not getting all the nutrients I need. I just came across a new vegan supplement called powbab – 100% of antioxidants in a chew, and it’s tasty!

For protein, hemp protein powder works as an alternative. Or have to really load up on chickpeas.

• Rae says:

Thanks for this list. This is perfect for someone like me who is considering going vegan. It seems a bit overwhelming for and I’m looking at what options are out there. I live in a large urban area without a lot of local food options. I also don’t get home from work until at least 7 p.m – 9p.m. on most days. After being on my feet all day and on the go for over 12 hours, sometimes foods from boxes and cans is all I have the energy for. I also have to eat on the go a lot and it’s really nice to know that I’d be able to stop in at any grocery or convenience store and find something. Ideally I’ll be able to cut out the processed foods altogether, but for now switching to a vegan diet will be enough of a challenge. At least now I know that I have a chance to make it happen.

• Brie says:

this list is wonderful :) and for all the people complaining about the list containing junk food, the list was made to show vegan options. Its a good list for people who are new to the vegan lifestyle. If you dont want to eat something “loaded with chemicals” than go to an organic food store. The list is to help people from spending the extra money on food because it has the word vegan on it and helps if they don’t have an organic food store near them they know they can go to their local grocery store and find vegan options. So stop complaining about whats on the list. If you don’t like it, don’t eat it. Its that simple. Im a teenager and I dont pay for my own groceries but its good to know that I wont send the bill sky high paying for vegan foods that I can find cheaper counter parts for. Also sometimes all it takes is reading the back off the packaging that people seem to forget is there. And besides sometimes I want an Oreo. big whoop.

• cait says:

the new buffalo wheat thins are also vegan. and AMAAAZING.

• veganismyeah says:

I thought all kinds of chips were bad. Don’t they all contain an animal enzyme? I believe it’s called porcine enzyme. I’ve been told that they do.

• VeganisGreat says:

I find this helpful, as my husband and toddler still like the snacks. My toddler does not eat any meat, and I won’t completely eliminate dairy from her diet because she is super skinny and it’s still her favorite way to obtain calories….Anyway, this list, regardless of whether or not it’s dated, is a helpful map in the grocery store. At least I have a little more direction than what I normally look for!

• aCountryVegan says:

I found it much easier just to forget the list and NOT purchase any processed foods. There is not very much in a grocery store that you can’t make a vegan substitute. As for crap like Oreos, believe me if you don’t eat them for long enough you won’t have any cravings for that stuff. My kitchen was a wasteland until I went vegan and now it is the hub of my house. Took me a few trials and errors, but can say its not that hard to do without processed foods. Even Whole Foods doesn’t get my business. In some ways it was a good thing that I live 60 miles from any major city which forced me to start making my own vittles from scratch.

• Go Green says:

Lol…i too love Cheetos Flaming Hots but they contain milk derivative. Pringles Sour Cream has dairy, as do many of The others. I believe The Plain and bbq may b safe. Just read The back!

• ludi says:

i thought that all jello products had gelatine. i will check that out once more! And true, what about pringles? I thought those were fine. Is this list current or super old?

• Jose says:

I’ve read the beverages section that are vegan and saw it had Three Nestle Products.. Just a question. Why is Nestle on the list? There BIG TIME ANIMAL TESTERS isn’t the point of being vegan is not to eat anything that comes from an animal or a product that causes animal suffering? Just a question..

• KT says:

Read the fine print: Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals.

PETA vice-pres also discourages people from asking whether restaurant menu items contain ingredients that are animal derived. PETA is constantly making me question their motives. Don’t rely on this list, people. Do a quick Google search and figure it out for yourself. Besides, just because it’s vegan doesn’t mean it’s healthy.

• chips lover says:

damn… no hotcheetos (flamin hot, or jalapenio)
    no doritos, no pringles….

can this list get an update?

• Bakealot says:

some of the vegan cookbooks have a conversion list for your sugars

• Bakealot says:

smart balance organic is 100% vegan

• Jos says:

don’t some of these have gelatin? isn’t that animal bones?

• Kitty Fisher says:

Twizzlers are vegan!

• Penny Auctions says:

does someone know of a particular company/brand that sales most of vegan stuff?

• KatClaw says:

I have been a vegan for a short time, and Im really hoping for some insight because, surprisingly, my internet searches have failed me.I am suspect about all tortillas in the store. I know they have mono-and digylcerides in them and I’m pretty sure I saw lactic acid in Mission tortillas (again I could be wrong), does anyone know if there are brands of tortillas that arent suspect, because I constantly ate burritos and I want this to be a staple in my life again

• Janet West says:

Hi vegetarian Girl, most cheese is vegetarian now, thta cheese that you found was soooo wrong :@/. if your looking for vegan cheese, go to a site called http://www.vegusto.co.uk also most health shops do vegan cheese, daiya cheddar is or pure slices there not all yummy, but the vegusto cheddar is supose to be really nice, ive ordred some to come friday….cathedral city is vegetarian. good luck

• Ange2 says:

Hi, sorry I’m a bit new at this, but how are butter cookies vegan? I thought it was no dairy-dervived products, can someone please direct me to where I would get more info on the details of this? Thanks so much!

• Ange says:

To Liana, they clearly state “Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region.”

Don’t blame the website for your mistake.

• Alyssa says:

@ Liana Cavalcanti, this is taken directly out of the above post: “Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region.”

• vegetarian girl says:

i was shopping for vegetarian cheese and found “Vegan” cheese but then i read the label and it had pig fat in. anyone know an actual real vegetarian or vegan cheese.?

• Liana Cavalcanti says:

Just came from Sainsbury’s where I’ve got a Kraft Foods Oreo (www.oreo.eu) here in the UK and before I opened the pack just went to read the ingredients, out of curiosity and I could read: Contains: Wheat, Soya, Milk. So OREO IN THE UK ITS NOT SUITABLE FOR VEGANS! I’m very disappointed that I’ve trusted on PETA’s website and have purchased it before reading the ingredients. No trusting on PETA’s website anymore!!!

• Melanie says:

I checked the Entenmanns pies, and they contain milk and eggs??????

• Fashion bug says:

Is it acceptable to eat humans and use their skin for furnishings? This seems a better alternative to eating animals.

• vegan by choice says:

Dad’s oatmeal cookies (the hard ones) are 100 vegan. Bird’s custard powder also vegan. When buying vegan cheese watch out for ceisein (milk derived product)

• Natalia says:

How about butter flavor crisco, is that vegan?

• Kattunge says:

Sometimes you just want an oreo. The healthiest option? Perhaps not but again, life is about choices. And we should have the freedom within our convictions and beliefs, to have a vegan cookie made by someone else. Love this list! Thank you!!!

• Buffy says:

Can you create the same sort of lists excluding foods that are processed with added chemicals? These foods may be vegan – i.e. no animal products – but they can be loaded with chemicals we don’t need. Much of the lists are simply not “real food,” (see Micheal Pollan’s recommendation that we eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.) Thanks anyway for the items that ARE real food AND not loaded with unnecessary chemicals. :)

• Kimmy says:

Is Trident gum vegetarian?

• Akiko says:

Here is what is strange to me, as a vegan.. purchasing products from companies such as Kraft that slaughter animals by the thousands for the majority of all their other products.. where do we, as vegans draw the line? ^__^

• Secretly Vegan says:

Get a categorized, searchable list of these accidentally vegan products and more with the “Secretly Vegan” app for Android, available on Android Market – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mitchsaid.sveganfree

• bebe says:

I agree with so many of the comments that most of this food is so processed that it does not really fit into the healthy “green” lifestyle that most vegans maintain.
    I have to say though it is so helpful to me with a child that has severe food allergies to dairy, eggs, beef and pork. I pretty much stepped into this very naive to veganism and not only have I changed the way my husband and I eat but my whole family.
    I refer to this list often for something that may make my kid feel more “normal” like cupcake frosting, or taco seasoning that we can do as a family.

• Lemondrop Vegan says:

Its just a shame how unhealthy all of these options are! We care about animals and the environment, but not ourselves? That makes no sense especially now when diabetes, heart disease and cancer are all on a steady & fast rise. The last thing we need to promoste is junk food vegans! Cheers LdV

• Sondra says:

I have to say, when I first went vegan this list really discouraged me, as I thought I’d never be able to shop for much at a normal grocery store again. But I have found MANY other things not listed that are vegan. Not only are Baker’s UNSWEETENED chocolate vegan, but so are the Semi-sweetened. Arnold’s Sandwhich thins and bagle thins- vegan. Most brands of tortilla’s are made with shortening now a days. Plus many cereals are also vegan (and barely any are listed!) PETA really needs to send some people into the supermarkets to read the labels, because this short short list would cause anyone without a budget to think twice about going vegan!

• Ashley says:

Love the list, however I noticed a bunch of food under “staples” that should really be under “condiments”. I don’t remember the last time I thought of french fry seasoning or enchilada sauce as essentials…

• Carlam12 says:

Are Nibs, pell-n-pull, and Jelly Bellies all vegan?

• Melanie says:

The problem is that it is all processed. If there is something in the product that you can’t pronounce or don’t know what it is, it’s probably not good for you. As a mom of a vegan family, I try to feed my family organic, non processed food to help us stay healthy.

• Ashley-P says:

Smiles: That is true, but the Jell-O brand puddings in this list do not contain gelatin. :)