Accidentally Vegan Food List

Vegan Snacks

Grocery stores carry an array of great-tasting vegan options, including some items that you might not know are vegan. “Accidentally vegan” foods are those that were not created intentionally to be marketed to vegan* eaters.

Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region. Companies frequently change their formulations, so read labels prior to purchasing. We are constantly updating this list, so if you know of a vegan product that isn’t currently listed or if you find a product here that isn’t vegan, please contact PETA.

Thank you, and happy munching!

Breakfast (Dry)
Beverages
Snacks
Condiments
Baked Goods
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
Baking
Staples

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please click here.

Commenting is closed.
  • joliemarie88 says:

this list really helped me. I live in a small town where there are limited vegan options and I am considering changing my lifestyle. I know most of the foods on here are not as healthy as I would like but it’s nice to have the options. I didn’t know that so many things in my regular supermarket are vegan. Thanks for the help!

• Cheryl says:

I cant speak for others, but I know in the past week since I’ve begun my vegan diet and lifestyle, I have not tried to convert anyone. I have been too busy playing defense to even think about offense. This makes me wonder why vegans have a bad reputation for being combative. Maybe it’s all the verbal and emotional abuse we suffer from “friends” and “loved ones” when we start living it. I honestly think it would have been easier for me to tell them if I were gay than this. I think they get that way because they dont want to think about what they’re eating, they want to eat “in the dark”, and I’m a reminder to them of the saturated fat they’re eating? My best educated guess so far. I have repeated ad infinitum that I don’t have a problem with what they eat, and really am not even asking their support, just to back off already with telling me I’ll waste away, change my mind any day now, or flat out insulting my intelligence. Maybe it’s considered a sin in texas to not eat cows, who knows. But my point is I can completely understand any vegan feeling combative. As far as militantly trying to recruit, not me. As I told my family, I demand their respect if they want to continue to be invited into my home. I will settle for nothing less, and at this point expect nothing more. After my first few months, if I don’t begin getting support from you (my family) then I will begin to question the purpose in you visiting me.

• Amanda says:

I am doing research so I can make the first step to becoming vegan, and this list is a great start for me! I live in a small southern town, so I am pretty much on my own with this lifestyle, and knowing what I can buy that is currently available to me is going to helpful for the first few months of my transition, while I keep looking at larger cities (a few hours away mind you) for healthier options. We honestly have a wal-mart and a food lion in our town. This list (as unhealthy as it is) is very helpful to me!

• Lisa K says:

I didn’t read all of the comments, but I can imagine…I agree, it doesn’t help the cause by being a food snob or militant. It really turns people away from helping in any way they can. I first learned about some foods I never imagined had animal products (marshmallows and mints that have gelatin, worcestershire sauce that has anchovies etc) until I saw some similar lists years ago. I pass along the information as I find it. Yes, a list like this helps people who are transitioning to vegan, vegetarian, or even ‘flexitarian’ as some call themselves. Would I love to see a whole vegan society? Of course I would. But in the mean time, whatever can be done to knock out the cruelty and terrible living conditions would be paramount. Education…calmly, compassionately (you know, the same way we would like to treat animals?) bringing awareness to issues. Speak with passion, but no one will listen when we point a finger saying ‘You are wrong!’ And of course, lead by example…

• bbvam says:

lol guys. this is a list of common foods that most people wouldn’t think are vegan but are. PETA isn’t telling people to eat all this stuff. PETA is telling people that going vegan is easier than people think, and that the food a lot of everyone eats already is vegan. PETA isn’t telling people to compose a diet of this stuff. thank you for making this peta :)

• Wendy Stewart says:

I read all 29 pages of comments and I have to say that I am floored for a number of reasons.

1. Many of you think you know more than anyone else and go to great lengths to make sure people know it.

2. Veteran vegans should understand that this list is should be used for those making the transition or those shopping for vegans so that the excuse that “vegans have nothing to eat” isn’t valid. That and some people just don’t like to cook. That’s on them.

3. I think most of us, though we have good intentions, need to take a really deep breath and remember that each of our efforts is good for the animals’ sake. We each do our part to be vegan as best we can’t and we should not be judging each other.

I find this list to be a huge help. As I develop my own favorite easy to make recipes that use easy to find ingredients, I can sympathize with those who don’t have to luxury some do to go out and shop at farmer’s markets, pick their own fruit and vegetables or belong to a co-op. One thing at a time or we will all burnout by spreading ourselves too thin for the sake of the animals. If we did that, what good would our efforts be?

• Wendy Stewart says:

• Laura says:

Ah…J-Roc and Michelle…right you are. This attitude of food snobbery does not sit well with many and is indeed a HUGE turn off. You would think those who read the entire article, including the caveat at the bottom, would have the common sense to keep the negativity to themselves…then again…common sense is not so common anymore.

• Adrienne says:

COME ON, PEOPLE! Just because there’s not dairy or eggs doesn’t make it vegan! AT ALL!

MONO and DIGLYCERIDES are made from cow or pig fat– UNLESS it says “vegetable derived.” There are eight billion other things included in all these foods that are animal derived, and no matter how small, makes it NOT vegan.

Maybe the asterisk could say “this list is to show people that cutting meat (this includes chicken and fish, the definition of meat is flesh of an animal and last I checked chickens and fish were animals), dairy, and eggs out of your diet isn’t hard.”

I appreciate the effort PETA, but I came to this list thinking that it would make shopping at the 24hour Wegmans easier, but if anything it made it worse.

• Adrienne says:

Crisco “All vegetable shortening” contains mono- and di-glycerides, given that there are 5 ingredients in the whole thing, I think this deems is 100% not vegan. In addition, the “antioxidants” listed as the last ingredient are petroleum-based and terribly, terribly unhealthy.

• J-RoC says:

Jesus Christ you guys! Some of these comments are ridiculous and it’s this “headier than thou” bullshit is why majority of people don’t care to learn about alternative foods. I swear, vegans and religious people trying to push their ways on people all the time make me sick. If you think you’re any better of a person than someone else, because your eating habits none the less, you need to take the tofu stick out of your butt and go re-evaluate your life. Thats’s all true speak ya heard?

• Kate says:

Please help these people finish their documentary about how awful dairy is for us and for the environment:

• Michelle says:

Reading a lot of the comments here…I realize these foods are, for the most part, quite unhealthy. I also realize most are made with refined sugar which, as we know, is made with bone char. At the same time, instead of being food snobs and saying “well, *I* only buy organic and sustainable foods from local markets”…let’s be happy that lists like this exist to help those who would otherwise not give veganism a try. Sure, many of us “purists” wouldn’t touch these items. But people such as my husband, who think vegan food is wheatgrass smoothies and tofu, look at this list and it makes them think of veganism in a whole new light. And I’m thankful for that.

• Brittany says:

Rachel, it’s wonderful that you are 80% raw and all organic and rha rha rha. Most of us who have been vegan for a while wouldn’t eat this stuff. PETA is just trying to make the point that you don’t have to go to such measures to be vegetarian/vegan. it can actually be easy, and you can even keep some vices.

• VeganDancer says:

Jello Instant Pudding has started putting asterisks on their products saying not to use no dairy milks because the pudding won’t set up. But I just made some and it sets up perfect =D why must they fib

• Nat says:

Aren’t american Smarties made by Mars ??

• Rachel says:

I wouldn’t consume any of these products, most refined sugars are processed with bone char. I’m also 80% raw, I rarely eat refined, processed, or cooked food, and most of what I buy is organic. I can’t even imagine how much sodium is in all of this crap.

• Myself says:

@ questioner

There are plenty of non-dairy milks out there for vegans to have with their cereal like rice, soy, or almond milk. They are readily available in most grocery stores. Where’ve ya been?

As for Hershey’s syrup, that’s great for drinking straight from the bottle or for putting on vegan ice cream. Yeah, they really make that stuff!

• Lisa says:

Yay for Vegan treats!!! :)

• angela says:

what about refined sugar? Does anything on the list contan that? I would think the candy would?

• MCleary says:

I would like to get this list in a little booklet form to put in my purse.

• janedough says:

Food Lion Animal Cookies… really? really? Hahaha!

• owl says:

You don’t have to be vegi to be healthy. Meat specially, white, is not bad. Our body needs food for it’s muscles. But of course, feasting with meat diet is dangerous. But again if you are a vegi or meat lover, try your food with 3C sauce to have a very healthy and tastful meal.

• vegan loverrrrr says:

The uncrustables peanut butter and strawberry jam is NOT vegan as it contains L-cysteine. It is an amino acid which can come from sheep and duck feathers. Sometimes it is also microbially formed through the creation of the crust – as in pizza or flour tortillas.

• Tracie says:

@sweetd The instant pudding mix doesn’t have any dairy in it; it’s the milk that makes it non-vegan. Just use soy milk instead of regular milk or even hot water.

There’s a book called “Animal Ingredients A-Z” that you can purchase on Amazon but you can also just check out these links:

• sweetd says:

I am a new vegan, and have some questions. Fist how can you eat the instant pudding isnt there dairy in there? Second I was wondering if there is a book that will help me understand what is vegan and what isnt when I am out grocery shopping.. Thank you

• Selah says:

A lot of this stuff, though it is vegan, is also unhealthy.

• dilemma says:

To Nun ya; taco seasoning is good in rice, refried beans, and with Boca Crumbles to make tacos. The unfortunate part is the added ingredients that aren’t necessary in the seasoning. The recipe book “Vegan Comfort Food” has a great recipe for homemade taco seasoning. I’m sure other recipes can be found on the web or in other cook books.

• Heather says:

Nun Ya – it is NOT dumb to have taco seasoning listed because I use taco seasoning on my black beans, as well as soy-crumbles (which are LIKE ground beef but meat free… soooo yummy cooked in taco seasoning!!!) TRY IT :)

• Stash says:

Look at “Veganomicon” Best cookbook you will ever see:) A must have! I, myself, am not vegan. Though I live with some who are. We all enjoy this book so much! And everything(ingredients) are sold at Safeway, Costco, Albetsons, Winco, Trader Joe’s, Red Apple, Grocery Outlet, and most other grocery stores:)
    Hope that’s helpful for all of you:)
    P.S. most of the recipes in the book are really healthy!

• Jas says:

I emailed Pop Secret about their Homestlye flavor and they wrote me back and said it WASN’T VEGAN! They stated it contained a small amount of butter.

• stacy says:

I agree that these may be considered vegan. but shouldn’t we promote organic, sustainable, etc? the best thing you can do is use only fresh fruits vegetables, fresh or dried spices, some oils and different dried staples like quinoa etc.

• Alison says:

trying to make the change….the list helped SOOOOOO much you have no idea!!! thank you!!!! ;0)

• mark blackburn says:

Why buy packaged foods at all? I buy most of the things I eat at a farmers’ market and cook them in some simple way. Deborah Madison has an excellent cookbook called “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” that I can recommend to anyone who is not familiar with it. Alice Waters also has a book called “Chez Panisse Vegetables” that I find useful. Many of the recipes in both books are simple.

• jane says:

Smuckers Uncrustables Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam is vegan!
    But are all Smuckers jam and jelly vegan ?
    Do they contain carmine ?

• Nun ya says:

It is kinda dumb to have taco seasoning on here for meat when you don’t eat meat…LOL

• Laura says:

this is a list of foods vegans can eat, even though almost all of this food is unhealthy

• Steve says:

If you minus dairy, gelatin, honey and eggs, this stuff can all be vegan. What about all the foods that have sugar that has been processed with bone char? That might eliminate a good many of the items on this list.

• Michmike says:

I would like to hear more about the refined sugar issue….If I am going to do this I want to do it right!!!

• Linda says:

I found a Goya ready-made FLAN but it had milk and eggs. You might want to double check that and remove it from the list.

• Jane says:

All of Duncan Hines cake mixes are also vegan:)

• Nance says:

What about soy milk anyone?

• Kassandra says:

Most of the things I’ve seen have animal products in them that a vegetarian wouldn’t even dare eating, I think it’s completely incorrect to list them in a Vegan food list. This site is unreliable. I would never expect this from Peta.

• Peri says:

Jelly Belly Jelly Beans, Mike & Ikes (the green box) and Eclipse Mints are also vegan. I emailed the companies and they sent back very detailed explanations of their ingredients, sources and food processes.

By the way, there are some plant-based gelatins, so you just have to read and research a company and its products for certainty on what you can and can not eat.

• gg says:

It says general mills cheerios under dry breakfast silly lol

• dorothy mcgale says:

This statement, included at the bottom of your article does not make sense — seems it should have the word “not” between “that are” and “99.9 percent” to mean products that are not 99.9 percent vegan should be boycotted. See this:”Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food,…”

• P5ychoRaz says:

How can these companies call their products what they are? Ice cream isn’t ice cream without cream, chicken-free chicken patties? I JUST read an article about some lawsuit against TacoBell regarding the % of ‘beef product’ in their beef. Apparently, there was a lot of water and seasoning, so they can’t call it ‘beef.’

• Lisa says:

Jello is simply the brand name for the pudding. there’s alot of great vegan recipes that use Jello pudding! its awesome as a replacement for milk in some baking too!

• Noel Coward says:

Don’t accidentally ingest a magnet folks. Because magnets, as you know align with the magnetic poles which regulate our planet’s gravitational fields. These fields change depending on things that we don’t really understand. Plus, our brains are susceptible to magnetic influence as any radiologist technician will tell you. Funny how so many of these workers have horrendously bad dreams on a regular basis. Coincidence? Yeah, right. Can’t ingest a magnet you say? Oh really. Well here’s a wake up call. Every single food item you buy from the grocery is exposed to magnetized ink. First, when it is bulk packed, then when it is warehoused. Finally, when it is run through the store’s register. Yes, the scanner is a laser. But the ink itself on the UPC is almost always composed of a magnetized film material so it maintains its tight tolerances. Since exposure is cumulative, each dose a person gets keeps adding to the total. Eventually, there are almost certainly health consequences. Don’t believe me? Look at the incidence of weird brain tumors, and especially those showing up in clusters in certain communities. Another coincidence? Sure, yeah. So, while you’re keeping your guard up against meat-related materials consider yourself warned and try to avoid magnets like the plague.

• foggie36 says:

Its very hard for me to understand this vegan lifestyle. Humans were designed to eat both meats and vegetables which is the reason why our teeth are both sharp and flat. Also what is being harmed by eating honey? Its just some sugar processed by bees? This is the craziest idea I have ever seen. I couldnt live without a nice piece of steack or chicken every once in a while.