Accidentally Vegan Food List

Vegan Snacks

Grocery stores carry an array of great-tasting vegan options, including some items that you might not know are vegan. “Accidentally vegan” foods are those that were not created intentionally to be marketed to vegan* eaters.

Please note that this list is just for U.S.-based products, as ingredients can vary by region. Companies frequently change their formulations, so read labels prior to purchasing. We are constantly updating this list, so if you know of a vegan product that isn’t currently listed or if you find a product here that isn’t vegan, please contact PETA.

Thank you, and happy munching!

Breakfast (Dry)
Beverages
Snacks
Condiments
Baked Goods
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
Baking
Staples

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please click here.

Commenting is closed.
  • Jake says:

What about soda? Is most soda (ex. Pepsi/Coke products) vegan? I have heard mixed things… what is peta’s take on soda, and is it animal free?

I ask mostly because I am new to being a vegan, and I usually don’t drink too much soda, but it would be know if I can drink a Coke guilt-free.

• Melissa says:

Oreos are vegan! :)

• Nicole says:

@ Chloe who posted on 9/25/10 – Sara Lee WHEAT bread would not be Gluten free. Wheat being one of the main gluten containing foods. The whole grain bread isn’t GF either.

• questioner says:

Wait, why would anyone want cereals or Hershey’s syrup if they can’t have milk?

• Jeysuz says:

happycow.net can tell you all sorts of true vegan information. also vegweb.com
    Peta is simply showing there are non-animal junk food options just as there are animal based junk food options. theyre trying to stop you from eating meat, not necessarily be healthy.
    I appreciate some folks are tried and true vegans to the core (I wish I was!) but if I screw up and accidentally eat a trace of a vitamin that was produced with an animal product I’m not going to slit my wrists. I’m far better off for not eating the obvious creatures and doing my best. Sadly, my best is not perfect, but I’m working on it!

• IcedGreenTea says:

So Blow Pops and Lay’s potato chips are part of a healthy Vegan diet? Right. Great advice.

• Masked Woman says:

What I want to know is the sugar/sodium/fat content. i thought vegans didn’t eat refined sugar which you will find in some form in the above products.

• Kristy says:

@Gladys. Good for you. This list is a list of things that are VEGAN… These are not “celiac friendly” things, just things that have no animals products… So your post is kinda pointless.

• Gladys says:

Whole grain white and Wheat breads may be vegan because they contain no Eggs, but they have gluten…….Anything made with wheat has gluten!!!! As a celiac, I must strictly avoid gluten, and wheaty is the #1 culprit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FTWvegan says:

Eddys Real fruit coconut has skim milk. so not all eddys.

• GT says:

This list is ridiculous and, although reflects PETAs ideals, does not reflect in any way how people should be eating. Come on PETA, advocating for people to eat continue to crap just choose the crap that doesn’t contain animal products is not a noble cause.

• NikkiK says:

Hey all,
    I am new to veganism, and I found a great Iphone app. Its called “Vegan is easy” it has a fairly comprehensive list of obscure sounding ingredients and code them easily green if they are vegan friendly, yellow if they could possibly come from an animal source and red if it is definitely an animal product. It also gives you a brief definition, letting you know typical sources of the ingredient. I love this app, it makes it alot easier to shop, especially for a newbie like myself.

• Emily says:

Hey Pete, Cheerios are vegan it is listed as “General Mills Cheerios.” Does anyone know if the Orbitz brand chewing gum in Peppermint is vegan? I understand that Wrigley uses vegetable based glycerin in America except for some brands that contain gelatin. Can anyone clear this up for me, please. I’d appreciate it.

• Wingseeker says:

Are Sour Punch Straws vagan? What flavors?

• Cat says:

Are Lucerne lowfat yogurts vegan?

• SeanD says:

I like Peta2′s accidentally vegan list which includes Amy’s Vegan Black Bean Chili. Imagine their surprise when they found out that their Vegan Black Bean Chili made it onto Peta2′s accidentally vegan list.

• Loreena says:

Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars (chocolate) are vegan :)

• Pammy says:

A lot of cereals – All Bran being one of them – are not strictly vegan if you have a problem with vitamin D. Kellogg’s told me that any of their cereals that are fortified with vitamin D will not be suitable for vegans. These included All Bran Original, All Bran Complete Wheat Flakes to name a couple. All Bran Original contains just 10% vitamin D per serving, which is probably a tiny amount. Their Special K Protein Plus, Special K Red Berries and all varieties of Mini Wheats are suitable for vegans. They didn’t mention vitamin A palmitate so I presume that comes from plant sources. I suppose it depends on how un-vegan you are willing to be. I think it is virtually impossible to be completely vegan in this modern world. Some small companies who manufacture vegan products have to use somebody else’s facility in order to manufacture their goods. Therefore there might be traces of animal ingredients in them. If we don’t support these small companies then we won’t have vegan anything.

• abf1990 says:

This helps a lot, thanks!

• Amy Jean says:

sara lee cherry pie is on the list in frozen foods.

• 1 2 many says:

Does anybody know about the sugar in these cereals? There’s so much sugar that’s been refined with bone char… How do we know what the ingredient “sugar” even means? Is it natural or not?

• Riss says:

And SILK products aren’t vegan?!

• Mac says:

does anybody know how/where to obtain all goods neccessary for leading a normal vegan life IN SPAIN

• weeblewobble says:

Cheerios are vegan. they are just listed under General Mill Cheerios.

• weeblewobble says:

Cheerios are vegan. they are just listed under General Mill Cheerios.

• Marie says:

Aren’t most “brand” cereals fortified with animal-derived vitamins/supplements? The only cereal brand that I have never heard anyone accuse of using animal products is Kashi.

• Kframe says:

I am searching for the vegan form of Cheezits-sold at whole foods, does anyone know it’s name?

• pete says:

Half of the things on the list make no sense…mono and diglycerides are not necessarily vegan…can be derived from animal sources particularly beef and swine…also, vitamin a palmitate (sometimes derived from fish), glycerine, some of the food coloring in these things….so many ingredients that mask meat derived originp. No wonder they have the caveat at the bottom of the page. If you need to know more, email me at ready2play@gmail.com …can’t link too easily from my phone.

• Marina says:

А lot of these foods and companies use GMO’s, plus almost all of the cereals have vitamins B12 and D in them. How can you be so sure they are not derived from animals??? Since I became a vegan I stopped eating cereal, just don’t want to take any chances.

• RaggedyAmbs says:

Progresso Lentil Soup does not have chicken stock in it. I like to make that with Earth Balance, bacos, and a can of drainedcollard greens and then put it over a bake potato for some quick soul food.

Mahatma rice products I believe are all vegan. No spices they use have beef flavoring of any kind and they are super cheap. The beans and rice mix can make like 3 meals with something else.

• Emily says:

Great list, but does anyone know if Orbitz chewing gum in peppermint is vegan or if any of the flavors are? I brought Peelu brand gum in peppermint and its good, but cost me $12.00 for one bottle so I want to go back to Wrigley’s brand particularly Orbitz.

• jn says:

You know how After Eight mints used to be vegan and they’re not anymore? CVS Pharmacy makes a version under their own brand name and they are vegan and they are gooooooood!

• waithesvegan?! says:

Vegan or not, why would anyone want to eat some of those foods?
    Most of these were made in non-environmentally friendly factories.
    On a side note, I know a vegan who doesn’t eat sugar because the process of making it uses bone (or something like that). I think that that would take out a lot of these options.

EAT VEGETABLES!

• Holly says:

Just wanted to clarify that Jello Pudding WILL NOT set up in non-dairy milk.

• amber says:

I cannot believe that jell-o is listed here.

• kaarl says:

You don’t have to eat the carbs and sugar..A good way is to stick with whole foods like all of your vegetables and fruits..then you know exactly what the ingredient is and don’t stress about it being unhealthy.

• Jed says:

For everyone talking about Sarah Lee, I’m pretty sure her bread has honey in it. A lot of wheat breads do.

• sproutrmuncher says:

All of Sarah Lee fruit pies are vegan, except the Dutch Apple. Also their Mince pies (2) are vegan

• sproutrmuncher says:

Jell-O is a brand name. If you are referring to the type of gelitan dessert than no, it is not vegan. But Jell-O makes pudding mxes which do not contain animal ingredients, which can be prepared with non-dairy milk. There is a way of making “jell-o” type desserts using agar.

• madcapcat says:

Panda, Kashi GoLean Original and Crunch! both contain honey, so they are not vegan. Kashi GoLean Crisp! however, is vegan-friendly.

• AMY says:

MAYBE I’M MISSING SOMETHING, BUT SURE DOES SEEM LIKE VEGANS EAT A LOT OF CARBS & SUGAR. I HAVE DIABETES AND I COULD NEVER EAT MOST OF THE FOODS ON YOUR LIST. ARE U SURE VEGANS ARE NOT GIVING UP ONE BAD THING FOR ANOTHER? REALLY, I’M WONDERING.EDUCATE ME.

• AJ says:

Pillsbury Crescent Rolls are vegan! add them to the list.

• Ashley-P says:

Confused: Both Red Bull and Monster use synthetic taurine in their drinks. You can read more on their websites. Enjoy!

• Veg K says:

New to the vegan thing. Grandma Sycamaurs bread has no eggs or dairy, but has wheat gluten. Since wheat gluten is derived from a plant not an animal, isn’t it considered vegan? Help please :)

• panda30 says:

Kashi GO Lean isnt a vegan food? Can anyone tell me whats in it that is an animal product?

• Confused says:

Just want to put out there…. Red Bull and Monster BOTH have Taurine in them which is defined by being :A colorless crystalline substance, C2H7NO3S, formed by the hydrolysis of taurocholic acid and found in the fluids of the muscles and lungs of many animals

so WHY is it on the VEGAN LIST???

• sabrinalouise says:

Nooo I’m pretty sure jello IS vegan…like pudding, you know?. It’s the jello brand GELATIN that is NOT vegan.

• sabrinalouise says:

• Beth says:

Although most of Jello’s desserts contain gelatin (the clear, colored jellos that Bill Cosby wiggles around on his spoon in TV ads), there are a few PUDDINGS that are gelatin-free. Here is the ingredient list for Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding: Sugar, Modified Food Starch, Contains less than 2% of Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate and Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate (For Thickening), Mono- and Diglycerides (Prevent Foaming), Artificial Color, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Bha (Preservative).

Hope this helps!

• AJ says:

Monster’s vegan? Holy crap, that’s cool.