Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve

Got a cause you love? Of course you do—since you’re reading this! Then why not show your support and spark great conversations by proudly sporting the message on your clothing?

Whenever I wear my PETA tees, I feel empowered by knowing that a simple errand, such as running to the grocery store, allows me to reach countless individuals with the important animal rights message.

On numerous occasions, I’ve had great conversations with complete strangers about the messages on my shirts. Some have shared with me that they adopted their animal companion from a shelter, others have asked for my opinion on the best faux-meat products, and others simply voice their agreement and support.

So whether your heart breaks for animals who suffer on fur farms, the thought of eating animal flesh repulses you, or you don’t understand why people keep bringing more puppies and kittens in the world when there are millions waiting for homes at shelters, your clothing can send a powerful message that is capable of influencing others to lead a more compassionate life.

Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve

“Wearing your heart on your sleeve” is synonymous with being vulnerable, but I like to think that it makes you a crusader for your cause. Your shirt, and the conversations that it leads to, have the power to inspire the people around you.

Have you had a similar experience wearing cause-related clothing? Or perhaps you have a cause of your own that you’d like to share. Leave a comment about what your “cause tee” would say!

Commenting is closed.
  • Grubb says:

Excellent job. Thumbs up!

• Regan says:

Excellent post. keep it up!

• Blair says:

Excellent job. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

• AAG says:

Rev. Meg:

Love both your t-shirts.

I am a vegan and Catholic and am aware of both what God’s other creatures suffer and why Christians are killed daily/persecuted.

Good for you with both t-shirts!!!

• megan tolle says:

ive been vegetarian for 3 years now and love it! i made my own tee that says “im not food” with little piggys,cows,chickens and other critters sponged on :D

• Neville says:

I favour a discreet non-agressive Peta logo on a Fred Perry or men’s short sleeved shirt, with “People for …” quite small so the curious have to strain to read it. Alt “Do as you would be done by” underneath. It is important to command respect and to be an agent of animal welfare not “liberation”, due to the bad reputation of the latter. When protesting about animals snares (soft catch traps) to the South African Embassy London I said I am a bunnyhugger to get their attention.

• chander kumar soni says:

liked.

• Lou says:

I am way too oldschool.. mine simply says “Meat is murder!”

It’s plain white with black print. It’s hard to miss as the letters cover the entire front.

I have had a lot of VERY angry responses to it, I have been egged numerous times, I have even been punched square in the face once for it.

So I took up body building. Nobody has felt the need to disagree with my opinion in a while. ;)

• danielle says:

my shirt would say, friends dont chain friends.
    with a sad puppy sitting in the rain :(
    i love that expression .

• Marina says:

I’ve had so many experiences wearing my PETA t-shirts! Once, I was out for a walk wearing my basic, little black PETA tee, (“Fighting Animal Abuse Around the World”), and a man sitting on a porch said, “Animal rights, huh? Wonder what my dog would think about that?” We had a nice chat about how even though his dog likes to catch squirrels, he’d probably like to be treated well himself.

Another time, my PETA “Anima: the inner self of an individual; the soul” tee sparked a conversation with a young singer who was researching the pronunciation of that word in an opera. It was a good conversation. She was wearing a fur coat, and we talked about what happens to animals who are raised for fur. “You have given me something to think about,” she said, and I never saw her wearing the coat again.

And once, when I was wearing a shirt with a quote from Gandhi about how a country may be judged by the way it treats its animals, an East Indian man came up to me. He said he was from the same area of India that Gandhi came from, and my tee reminded him that he needed to get back to his roots and stop eating animals.

Wearing tees definitely makes a difference, in my experience! If it feels like too much on a particular day, or it’s a day when a t-shirt isn’t the most appropriate choice, I leave pamphlets instead.

• Brett says:

“That animal you’re wearing called….
    He wants his coat back!”

I would buy this if it was available in a really big size.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

I have two favorite cause related t-shirts which always bring comments when I wear them.

One is a PETA shirt featuring a dog chained to a stake. The message is “Unchain Your Dog! Bring dogs inside!” I usually wear this when I am traveling in a rural area or small town where there are a lot of people who hunt; the only purpose these dogs have is to help on hunting trips. They spend the rest of the year tied up outside or imprisoned in kennels in the yard.

The other shirt is one I wear to motorcycle rallies. This shirt is from Voice Of The Martyrs and features the eyes of a lion and says in bold red letters, “It Didn’t End In The Colosium. CHRISTIANS STILL DIE!” and the e-mail address for Voice Of The Martyrs where one can get more information. This shirt usually elicits the challenging question “Where are Christians being killed?” And my answer “In any country where Islam has been allowed to take hold. And that includes Eastern Europe.” People are stunned when they read the phamplets or view the dvds I give them.

• kayla says:

my shirt would say:

If you truly love animals you shouldnt be eating them. Duh, its not rocket science.Ask Einstein. (with a pic of einstein eatin veggies or somethin)

• Angela says:

this is mine skin, wear your own Skin!!
    i want to be warm too:)

• Cynthia Bolding says:

I’d like to see a T-shirt that says:
    “That animal you’re wearing called….
    He wants his coat back!”

• shannon says:

Love not Torture

• Haley says:

I love the shirts but unfortunately being a rather large vegan I can’t fit into them.

I would love if you came out with extended sizes for those who wear 2 and 3x t’s!

• Liia says:

I am lucky that I work in a reasonably casual office. I am able to wear my PETA shirts, including Free For All, Circus, Breasts Not Animal Tests and Club Soda Not Seals.
    I have had a few people comment on them when I am out shopping or at work.
    Just wearing them I feel good knowing that I am getting the word out there that using animals for our own vain pleasure is not cool or helpful in any way.

I would like a shirt that encourages people to go vegan. I’ve been vegan for 6 months now and have never felt better!

• mel says:

mine would have the TWILight inspred campaign logos.jacob-wear ur own fur

• NAIYA says:

LEAVE MY SKIN ALONE!!! (an animal exploited for fur looks at us and tells us with a human gesture on his face)

• Jana says:

Hi,
    I do like the red one. Do you have different colours (black/silver)? I would also prefer a girly cut.
    Regards, Jana

• Dilnaz Hiramaneck says:

Hey,

Where can I get one of these in Mumbai, India ?? Im interested in the red one in particular.

Awaiting your response,
    Thanks

• ekam bajwa says:

My cause shirt would say “save animals kill yourself”

• raven roger says:

I love animals and I think that this is a great idea and I love exspressing myself through my clothing

• Raluca says:

can we buy these shirts from somewhere? i like the message on the red one