Sporty and Stylish: Vegan Athletic Shoes for Spring 2012

Written by Vanessa Cunningham | March 19, 2012

I know it’s not even spring yet, but I’m shopping for some new workout shoes to help kick me into swimsuit shape. Summer tends to sneak up on me, and this year, I vow to be ready! Most athletic-shoe companies make shoes in a variety of different materials, so your options are virtually limitless.

Step into a new you, and leave the leather behind. Check out my top picks of vegan athletic shoes below:

Running

Asics Gel-Blur33

Are you a runner? I’m definitely not, but I’ve been trying to get into it, and all of my runner friends swear by the Asics brand. These shoes have a lot of support and cushioning to help keep you comfortable on those grueling endurance runs!

Walking

New Balance 01

These walking shoes are super cute and made from 95 percent recycled plastic bottles!

Cross Training

Reebok Zignano Fly 2—Athletic

These zigzag Reeboks are sure eye-catching! Their unique design is great for all kinds of workouts. What I love about them is that they have reflective material, so you can feel safe in the dark if you’re out in the early morning or evenings!

Ultimate Comfort

Vibram FiveFingers Treksport

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, these “barefoot” five-finger shoes definitely make a statement! The latest trend in exercise footwear, I’ve seen people wearing these shoes at the gym, running, biking, and walking. They’re perfect for someone who does a variety of workouts and loves to be barefoot!

How’re you planning on getting in shape for summer? Leave a comment and let us know your exercise plan and if you have any vegan shoe suggestions!

Commenting is closed.
  • Boatright says:

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

• sachristiangie says:

hi i was told to myself to buy some vegan shoes like this, but this is a site that only work for USA, which site exist for EUROPE PLS ????

• men dress shoes says:

In closing, you can find designer shoes online, but you just have to use some caution. There is simply no comparison for their quality, comfort, and styling. You don’t want to spend your hard earned money on a knockoff pair. When you find the real deal, you should get ready to have a new favorite pair in your wardrobe.

• Lim says:

The website knowthankyou.wordpress.com has a very thorough review of athletic shoes. You may be surprised that many of the shoes listed as “vegan” have glues that contain animal byproducts. I am glad I found this blog before deciding on a shoe. The person writing the blog does not list a shoe as vegan unless the company answered in writing (i.e. via e-mail) that their shoes contained no animal products/byproducts.

• chander kumar soni says:

nice design.

• Sue says:

Vibram Five Fingers does use kangaroo leather in their KSO Trek models. I have e-mailed them on this and they never responded, what does that say????

• dlc rodgers says:

Vibram makes five finger shoes made out of kangaroo leather.wtf please don’t buy them.

• Linda says:

Well, that’s disappointing to read that New Balance donated to animal abuser Romney. I have a pair of their vegan shoes I bought several years ago.

• dee says:

thanks to all! great info. really need vegan shoes that support!

• Yes shoes says:

hi the shoes are the best the very ccomfy and not
    uncoferable but easy to put on and were
    not meat but fuits and vegtables
    thankss

• zenmode says:

.. Everyone has a right to be affiliated with political party of their choosing. That does not make a person or company evil. Kudos for them for caring.

• Jessika says:

I have some vegan running shoes that I love. Also theanimalrescuesite.com has some vegan shoes that I ordered one time and the money went to help animals which I think is really awesome.

• jpandjf says:

Zappos has a vegan category; http://www.zappos.com/vegan I’ve liked the Saucony Jazz line, made from hemp!

• Lucy says:

I will buy some of these. I cannot believe Romney did that to his dog. Why didn’t his wife scream, “You want to what?” But I am not going to boycott New Balance.

• Victoria says:

Thanks for the information Beth! Another great reason I would never vote for that man! There’s a local race for Oregon Humane Society in May, I’ll be sporting my vegan shoes and my new PETA clothing!

• nik says:

Vegan and Dem-friendly? Maybe stick with Patagonia? I believe their Tsali and Release trail runners are vegan-friendly and highly rated.
    Thanks for the article!

• clarissa says:

also, would love to see an article on the best black pumps for the office!

• hilda says:

I checked on Asics Gel-B 33, which I like, but too pricey. Not everyone can afford, and I am one of them. I do not like to purchase any items made from animals. Prices need to come down.

• Clarissa says:

I wasn’t aware of the Romney donation, but I buy my shoes from New Balance. They aren’t all vegan, but I email them before I go shopping and they have always sent me a list of all the shoes that don’t contain animal products. This has been immensely helpful bc I used to go to shoe stores reading all the labels before finding any to try on and if I asked the salespeople for help they didn’t understand that I was actually looking for non-leather shoes. It would be great if all shoe companies, athletic and otherwise, clearly identified which shoes are vegan. I’ve tried searching on the online shoe sites and recall one if you selected vegan you’d only get hippie shoe options even though if you search around you could find many more.

• Casey says:

Brooks are also vegan.

• Melissa Cadle says:

I am so glad you wrote this article! It’s time for new running shoes and I wanted vegan ones!!!!

• Beth says:

An otherwise good selection, but please keep in mind that New Balance donated money to Mitt Romney’s campaign. Mitt stuck his dog on top of his car for a 12(?) hour long car ride and then said, “PETA doesn’t like that my dog wanted fresh air”.