16 Things You Need to Know Before Buying That Sweater

Written by Liam Cronin | September 25, 2013

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC (NSFW) AND WILL MAKE YOU REFUSE TO WEAR WOOL EVER AGAIN.

1. About 25 percent of the world’s wool comes from Australia.

2. Young lambs’ ears are hole-punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated, all usually without anesthetics or pain relief.

3. It is considered “normal” in the Australian wool industry for approximately 3 million young lambs to die every spring.

4. Lambs sometimes die because of poor nutrition.

5. This wound is the result of a process called “mulesing,” and it’s standard practice in the industry.

6. During “mulesing,” workers carve huge strips of skin off the backs of lambs’ legs and around their tails.

7. Or workers attach vise-like clamps to their flesh until it dies and sloughs off.

8. In the rush to produce more wool, many sheep die from exposure after premature shearing.

9. An unnatural overload of wool also causes animals to die of heat exhaustion during hot months.

10. During shearing, sheep can sustain anything from nicks to complete amputations of their udders, ears, penises, and other body parts.

11. Eyewitness: “I have seen shearers punch sheep with their shears or their fists until the sheep’s nose bled. I have seen sheep with half their faces shorn off.”

12. During auction, the pens are crowded and sheep may die because of injuries or stress.

13. When sheep age and their wool production declines, they are sent to slaughter.

14. Millions of live sheep are shipped from Australia to the Middle East and North Africa every year.

15. A 2005 report stated that about 38,000 sheep died in transit. In most cases, their carcasses were thrown overboard.

16. In New Zealand, methane emissions from enteric fermentation, coming mostly from sheep, make up more than 90 percent of the nation’s greenhouse-gas emissions.

Don’t support an industry that treats sheep as disposable and not as the smart, sensitive, dignified animals they are. Sheep deserve better. Pledge never to wear wool now!

Commenting is closed.
  • Heidi Bulters says:

Heartbreaking!!!!…..what a cruel world we live in! :(

• Pat Coetzer says:

These pics are just horrific. It just kills me inside at the way animals are cruelly treated and barbarically slaughtered. How anyone can have no feelings for what the animal is going through and not see their suffering.
    OMG how I would love to get hold of these humans and do the same to them and see the pain in their eyes. This is just so tragic. I don’t understand the human race anymore with their evil ways. This has to stop!!!

• Sanj Gabriel says:

Such a cruel industry. It’s extremely sad to be an animal.

• Tina says:

Is mulesing still be used in the wool industry of Australia?
    I browsing the wikipedia,it seems like already gone.

• monikamccomb says:

aweful the way these sheep are being treated, it is animal cruelty and needs to stop

• Shanti says:

Why are some humans so barbaric? How would they like to be treated the way they treat the sheep! :(

• Liris Viana says:

É muita crueldade, vamos tentar acabar com este horror!

• Connie Anderson says:

THIS IS HORRIFIC AND CRUEL! STOP!

• sherry says:

I will never ..ever .. buy anything that is wool ever again !! how cruel and and evil this is to those poor animals !! pure sickening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• evelyn shannon says:

I will never wear wool again!

• Diane Smith says:

I don’t wear wool. I will never wear wool because of the way the sheep are tortured. I knit and crochet but I NEVER use wool. I only by synthetic yarns.

• eleni pitsillidou says:

what can i say…we live in a crappy world..with crappy people who do horrible things…will this ever change..

• lynda Ramirez says:

Why does it seem like every part of this world people find it necessary to abuse and neglect and torture animals?. Why do you think it is okay to hurt, punch, cut, trap, chain,starve, kill these poor animals. Why cant you treat them with respect and care and love??

• Jennifer Pearl says:

I’m so upset by this. So incredibly saddened.

• antonio navarra says:

hell on earth!

• Susan says:

I’m allergic to wool, can’t wear it, don’t want to.

• Sylvia Fonseca says:

This breaks my heart. Sheep are so beautiful and harmless. It sadden me our animals have to die for no reason. I respect and value all animals. I don’t eat them wear them or even go Zoo’s or Circus. I don’t do Disney nor Sea World. I believe in my heart and soul that all animals should be left to live and enjoy their lives.

• Sylvia Fonseca says:

• Marcela Mora says:

STOP PLEASE !!!!! :(

• Marcela Mora says:

RESPET STOP !!!! :(

• betty says:

One word, Barbaric!!!

• Sonia Inoue says:

Horrific treatment of animals…unforgivable….I can not believe what I am seeing. I think these humans should be treated like that…awful awful awful awful….heartbreaking.

• Elaine Newton says:

No animal should be done like this. This needs to stop. If i had the power i would make this illegal.

• jonna søremse says:

I never, ever Wear this fur Again, fore sure. Its so evil a behave, dont understand, how people can torture a animal in such a horrible way. Shame on you Australia. :_((((((((

• Christine says:

As with other things I have learned thru PETA, I am totally disgusted with the way animals are treated..the extent of cruelty displayed by not only some people in general but also by the industries shown on this website..need 2 put a stop 2 it

• amanda hammond says:

This is so cruel and evil.The poor sheep in the vices and the horiffic wounds, what is wrong with the human race.I hate cruelty there has to be a better way to treat the sheep.x

• nikkitwo says:

Disgusted. These are living animals that feel pain. Would you like this done to you? Would you like to live under these conditions?

• Barbara Jean Barr says:

i was devastated to learn about this cruelty!

• MinaK says:

I just don’t understand this? Why can’t there be cruelty free wool? These animals should be treated with respect. Why aren’t they fed and cared for and then just kindly shave off the wool??? Lots of people take their dogs and cats (not that I agree with all of it) and get them shaved in the summer so they are cooler. None of this insane cruelty occurs. This is horrible. I prefer cotton anyway, but there is not good reason for these acts, this is criminal.

• mispretty says:

you people are sick. Animals have just as much rights to live as we do. They were here before us and will be here when we most of us are in hell

• Jenn Townshend says:

Why is there no petition to help stop this? I understand that we need to know these things, but how do we help? There should be a petition for them to rewrite the laws of how wool is sheered from sheep, there should be something protecting the sheep from these idiot humans!

• Lisa Hall says:

Please make this stop-it’s cruel and unnecessary and these people should be punished!!!!!!!!1

• CARRON TORDOFF says:

i live in the Monaro in australia and i see this all of the time, at the sale yards they have a cart and the dead and injured sheep just get thrown into it! and left to die if they are not already dead! its disgusting! i have saved a couple the RSPCA and other authorities dont want to know or cant do anything about it!

• kiki kendrick says:

I will not wear wool again and will share with friends.

• paillez anne marie says:

Abominable !!! Ecoeuree….STOP barbarie !!!!

• missy says:

That is sick and cruel what they do its sad that animals have to go through that for the needs of humans what if the situation was turned around I don’t like seeing stuff like that. it happens with the sheep and other animals too how they are treated before they have to fill the needs of humans

• Nantjigga says:

I dont understand. All of this is happening because people want to look good and feel warm. There are other things where you can use instead of speechless animals. Put yourself in their lives, for one second, and think about how much pain and suffering they’re going through. All for your selfish needs. Just think about it. And remember, ONE PERSON IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!! <3 <3

• guzi says:

What should I put on my baby in the winter that he is warm?
    This is too cruel and I dont wanna wear wool again.
    But at the same time I need information. If we show and tell people about options, it’s better and easier to make more people not to eat meat or wear woll.. etc.

• Karolína Krupičko says:

o my god….!!!

• maria del pilar iguiniz says:

no name to this torture

• Loretta says:

no comment!

• Tanya Vialpando says:

How many UGG’s will sell this year?

• nicole nissen says:

stop it

• etienne saint vregord says:

They have become totally lunatics. They must be stopped!!!

• Gemma says:

You should be ashamed… These poor animals deserve to be treated with some sort of compassion, it’s so cruel what you subject them too.

• adeline says:

Horrible !!!

• Natstl says:

Can you please inform me about the practices in Europe? We recently had a breakthrough on cosmetics and I know dairy products are nothing like the USA in comparison to the USA but would like to know about wool as I would never never wear something that came from a creature that suffered or died.

• anna pasicznyk says:

this is sick cruel and very sad

• Abigail says:

This practice is barbaric and wrong on every level. All animals should be treated kindly and respected in whatever practice they are involved in and not subjected to this kind of torture! This needs to end! I would sooner boycott wool then see this go on. Utterly shameful!

• Connie Dolmans says:

This mist stop!!! It’s insane!!!