Feather Hair Extensions: A Trend Worth Killing For?

The following article was written by Keegan Baur.

Would you support the slaughter of thousands of animals each week just so that you could jump on board with the latest fashion trend? That’s exactly what girls are doing when they purchase feather hair extensions for their locks.

Upon first glance, feather hair extensions might seem innocent enough, but they are in fact the reason that many roosters lose their lives. Roosters used to make these extensions are bred and genetically altered to produce long, luxurious saddle feathers (the ones on their backsides, which can take years to grow) before they are killed and de-feathered for their precious plumage. What costs these animals their lives in turn costs anywhere from $40 to $500 per saddle and can only be worn by the consumer for a scant two or three months.

Fortunately, you don’t need blood on your hands in order to strut your stuff like a peacock! Stay tuned for our DIY ribbon version of these accessories or check out these alternative rooster feather extensions.

Read more about this fashion fad on The PETA Files.

Commenting is closed.
  • monique mason says:

I am very surprised that PETA is so late in reporting on the feather extension trend and its effects on the rooster population. How come PETA is taking such a soft stance on the mistreatment and killing of roosters to support a beauty trend that is depleting feather supplies(originally intended for fly fishing) until 2012. And yes, there is talk about engineering birds with longer necks to produce longer feathers. So, PETA, how come you haven’t made a bigger splash against Hollywood A-listers sporting the trend or have done your job to alert beauty magazines and blogs? What’s up with the silence?

• LeilaSaysMeatIsMurder says:

And they can’t use feather that have already fallen off…why?

• Elle says:

There are such thing as cruelty free feathers, people. Don’t assume just because a girl has some feathers in her hair that she is responsible for murdering roosters. Some birds shed feathers naturally. Some feathers come from birds that are used for food. Fly fisherman have used these feathers forever, yet no one is saying a word about that and they are killing fish at the same time!!

• Daniel Lasris says:

I understand the concern behind killing a rooster for it’s feathers and sympathize somewhat, but can anybody tell me what they actually do with the rooster after they kill it for it’s feathers? Plus, what would happen to all the feathers if we stopped using them? Did the rooster die for nothing then? There are thousands of pounds of feathers that would go to waste because they would not be used. Does this make any sense?

• Dayna says:

I am one of those girls. I asked how they get the feathers before they were put in my hair and was told that they are not harmed in anyway. I was told those are the feathers that fall out.
    I decided to look into it some more and I feel terrible to know that the fishermen are now suffering for a fashion trend. I have never joined the trend till now and I admit I thought the feathers were cute but they are coming out today! I would never want any animals harmed for my hair to look cute.
    I just wish I had this info before I got my feathers in months ago.

• Jess says:

You hit the nail on the head, Sarah. No further comment needed.

• Jenn says:

Why keep complaining, instead offer a solution. Give them a choice. Create another demand like tinsel extensions, colored hair extensions, or ribbon extensions. All people want is color to their hair, to stand out.

• kathy says:

@Derek, how can you compare someone having a thought to someone taking the action to kill living creatures? You seem to be a little out of touch with reality.

• ET says:

this trend along with those stupid Uuuugghh boots. If the little girls knew the suffering those poor sheep go through so they can wear those ugly freaking boots! If I see a girl with those in her hair, it’s going to be hard to hold back to blurt out “Murderer”!

• DERICK says:

BABYS FINGERS AS EARINGS? That is a disgraceful comparison; you are the sick one to even think that up in your mind???? What the hell.

• eva says:

I´m against the whole thing!.That people always doing the same!, I´ve no words for them,they make me feel really sick. Earning money with the suffering of creatures. I completely agree with you all!.

• martinxavier8 says:

vale mas una moda que una vida a lo que ha llegado el mundo

• Sarah says:

If you do your research, these feathers have been used for decades by fly fisherman. Easy to blame fashion so quickly. Perhaps the highlight should be on fishing considering they use the feathers to hunt another animal. If you eat chicken OR fish, you are part of this feather industry. Do your homework.

• Angie says:

So glad PETA touched on this issue! I love feather accessories, but killing roosters or any birds is plain ugly. I wish fashion could find a cruelty free solution for this.

• Jessica says:

I can’t believe this, I was offered this by someone who told me to put colored extensions or “feathers” in my hair instead of bleaching it and dying it blue. I kept telling her “you mean like a fake colored extension?” and she kept saying “no! An actual feather!” and I didn’t believe her till I happened upon this looking for vegan recipies….

• Marianna says:

We can all thank Steven Tyler for starting the trent…..

• Luv says:

Or maybe you could just use feathers that have fallen off? stupid fashion trends..

• Beth says:

nobody cares these days its time people realised that animals are beautiful!

• Katie says:

I saw some girls wearing them and I thought, “Wow, those look cool!” But then I read this and I’m now thinking, “Shun the rooster killers!!! Shun them!”

• Jennifer Carpenito says:

A totally cruel and unncessary thing to do, feather extenstions? Please! There’s a reason you weren’t born with them in your hair and they were. Leave them alone!

• Andrea Russo says:

People can be so stupid!!! Please! Are they really killing these animals for some dummie trend!!! Comme on!!!!

• Kay says:

And to say i was going to purchase an extension at my hair salon.im so glad i didnt and now realize where this $7 feather comes from. People are so cruel.

• diane carvello says:

This is frigging ridiculous, people are so selfish. I am soo sick of them. We need a law that protect animals for foolish thingxs like this and a law for people who use bull-hooks and any type of cruelty. This world is such a mess. God is pissed. I dont blame Him. Cruelty to animals – you do jail time and a fine. If the gals in school could pass this around, hopefully they will feel bad and realize how wrong it is. Please dont forget to say your prays at nite, or whenever you pray, for animals. Pray for animals as well.

• Bunny says:

Not that I agree with this whole feather trend but these roosters have been killed for their feathers YEARS before this trend even started. Fishermen use the feathers for their lures so why hasn’t this problem been brought up before?

• Pinkaholic girl says:

I didn’t know roosters were getting killed for this! I thought that the extensions were fake. WOW! I now know this is not a worthy trend to follow. Let roosters live with no pain!

• Terence McGinty says:

Human vanity and entertainment has caused so much suffering throughout history, both to animals and other humans. It really is time so called civilized societies stopped this.

• Ravyn says:

beautiful feathers that fall naturally from birds can be found and worn (once cleaned)… (and then cleaned once again!) :)

• Nina Blatter says:

Every day is coming up another horrible and cruel message how people abuse or misuse animals! Hell is on earth and it makes me so incredible sick and sad! STOP IT!

• Nina Blatter says:

• Tina menier says:

Yea, let’s start wearing babies fingers for a fashion trend – good one. It’s the same thing as feathers or fur or teeth or ears…. well, you get my drift.

• Candi says:

You goobers, Ive actually researched this greatly and these feather are already made for fly fishermen. They didnt breed anymore for the fashion industry than they would have for the fly tying industry this year. Ive personally spoken with the main producer of these birds and they basically sold out (they supply will never reach the demand and they dont plan on overbreeding). What is being put in people’s hair was already bred for the fishing industry. It has been going on for decades.

• Wass Pia says:

Find your own feathers in the wild! That´s what count :-)

• K says:

A cruelty-free way to wear this trend is to find someone who actually raises chickens. Then can give you the feathers that fall off naturally. I found one person on etsy.com who was selling feathers from their chickens, but maybe you happen to live near a farm…

• lynn says:

unbelievable, this has to be stopped

• Dottie Huckle says:

When can animals stop dying for fashion? This is ridiculous

• Justine says:

I’m so glad this is coming out, people need to know that breeding and killing birds for feathers is DISGUSTING. There are so many homeless birds all over the country, and I have based my green business on working with non-profits, happy farms and loving homes to obtain molted plumes. All my creations are cruelty free, many vegan friendly. There are animal friendly alternatives to these cruel feathers! http://www.friendlyfeathershop.com

• Karla says:

There are other ways to look beatiful or to make beauty supplies… Cruelty it is not the option.

• Dan says:

Kay, baby fingers? why are you even comparing an animal to a human being! Don’t get me wrong im against animal cruelty but don’t compare an animal to a human unless your crazy!

• Gabriel says:

Disgusting, hurting, abusing, or killing animals for fashion is just wrong!

• jaki lucas says:

this is gross and unnessary. maybe its ignorance on the part of these girls i didnt no about it

• Roberta says:

Are you kidding me! This is absolutely discusting! There are plenty of fake feathers to do this with. Sickening! Shame on people that do this! Stop this nonsense!

• Melissa Baird says:

No…do not kill these beautiful animals for their feathers….

• Serissa says:

I am not only disgusted by this trend, I am personally offended at our societies lack to EVOLVE!

• Mukesh says:

Its shocking to hear that as always, another crazy fashion trend had taken toll on these birds. The authorities and animal rights groups need to take action to stop thsi gruesome act in name of fasion

• rani chandi says:

Please don’t use rooster feathers for your hair. Blood on your hands!!

• sonia winfield says:

this awful, how can they be so vain? this cruelty must stop

• Lars Petersson says:

This has to be stoped.

• Emory Pace says:

O wow I never thought of it and at the same time I am so against fur! Well no feather extensions for me! I use to have two roosters and they were really sweet so even though I am a trendsetter I refuse to take a life over fashion! I will just have to craft up a cruelty-free alternative!

• Tori says:

this trend is big in my school. i thought they were fake feathers, but now that i know, i definitely will not get this.

• Kay says:

Maybe we should just start wearing babies fingers as earrings. Sick bastards! Enough is enough now!