Deadly Destinations

“Habitats” made by humans may appeal to visitors who only look at them for a few minutes, but they’re still cages for the animals who are forced to spend their whole lives in them. We buy our cotton candy and move on with our lives; the animals are there to stay. They are housed in cages that don’t come close to the jungles, deserts, savannahs, and forests that are their natural homes. They have no choice in their diets, mates, or living companions. Every aspect of their lives is controlled and manipulated.

A few fleeting moments of distraction for humans mean a lifetime of misery for animals. If you care about animals, avoid animal exhibits like you would avoid poison ivy. Here are a few of the saddest spots for animals:

Barefoot Landing/T.I.G.E.R.S.

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Barefoot Landing allows notorious exhibitor Kevin Antle to shill tiger cubs and a chimpanzee to tourists for photo ops. Antle’s operation, T.I.G.E.R.S., has repeatedly been cited and fined by federal authorities for serious violations of the Animal Welfare Act, including failure to provide animals with veterinary care and proper shelter and failure to handle dangerous animals safely.

Barefoot Landing also features its “Alligator Adventure,” which offers live animal shows and displays more than 700 alligators, crocodiles, tropical birds, snakes, and other reptiles.

Marineland

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Part theme park, part zoo, this tourist trap displays orcas, beluga whales, dolphins, sea lions, and walruses in cramped tanks. Visitors are allowed to feed and touch the belugas throughout the day. Far too many whales and dolphins have perished at Marineland: It is estimated that more than 40 whales and dolphins have died there, approximately 25 of them dying in the last 15 years. Marineland has imported beluga whales and dolphins who were ripped from their ocean homes.

Marineland also keeps bears, deer, bison, and elk in cages surrounded by noisy roller coasters and rides.

Sea World

San Antonio, Texas; San Diego, California; Orlando, Florida
At Sea World, orca whales perform tricks for food; swim endless circles in small, barren concrete tanks; and live far short of the 60-year lifespan that orcas enjoy in the wild. In the wild, these whales live in tight family units, with bonds that may last a lifetime.

In their ocean homes, dolphins swim together in family pods up to 100 miles a day. At SeaWorld, their home is reduced to a virtual bathtub.

Sea World, which owns most of the captive orcas and dolphins in the United States, has one of the worst histories of animal care. At least 35 orcas and over 100 dolphins have died at U.S. Sea World facilities. The aquarium industry worldwide has claimed the lives of at least 150 orcas and 963 dolphins. And until it was exposed to the public, Sea World routinely shot and killed hybrid ducks who flew in and joined Sea World’s resident bird population.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Vallejo, California
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom World can’t even keep its own employees happy, much less its animals! In March 2001, two former Six Flags Discovery Kingdom employees filed a report with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) alleging animal beatings, neglect, suffering, and terror caused by inadequate veterinary care, improper housing, mishandling by untrained and unqualified personnel, and exposure to noise from thrill rides and growing crowds at the park.

Since 1995, eight elephants have died at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.  Elephants are forced to perform tricks and give rides to park visitors. Elephant handlers and visitors to the park have been injured by elephants on three separate occasions. Despite these serious incidents, Discovery Kingdom World continues to use cruel, outdated circus-style training methods, in which elephants are beaten with bullhooks (rods with sharp metal hooks on the ends) if they don’t perform on cue.

Six Flags Wild Safari

Jackson, New Jersey
There are 31 Six Flags parks in North America; Wild Safari is one of two that exhibits elephants (see Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, above). The elephants are kept in a drive-through exhibit, which means that they are subjected to a constant stream of vehicles, exhaust, and unsupervised visitors.

In one three-month period, 26 animals died at Six Flags Wild Safari. The causes of death ranged from neck and skull fractures to hypothermia, tetanus, pneumonia, and drowning. While drive-through wildlife parks give the impression that they’re “sanctuaries,” Six Flags Wild Safari has sold “surplus” baboons to biomedical researchers and exotic hoofed animals to hunting ranches.

Come Home Happy, Not Heartbroken

Vacations should hold only happy memories. Instead of tainting your trip by seeing tortured animals, why not simply hit the beach, take a cruise, or visit a museum? There are loads of eco-tourism companies that offer cruelty-free excursions.

Commenting is closed.
  • alumbrame says:

POR FAVOR!
    Hay que tomar acciones para que la ley multe y castigue a estos vividores.
    Hay que amar a la naturaleza o por lo menos hay que RESPETARLAAAAAA!!!

• bernie williams says:

Unless an animal needs medical caring, no animal anywhere deserves to be caged. We would not want to be caged so why should they be. Mother Nature gave us a world of freedom. We seem to prefer to lock it up. Fences on properties. Caged animals. The earth belongs to Mother earth not us. We are lucky to experience it and take care of it and leave a better place for our children. I hope they will know that animals still exist and are not extinct and in animal books.

• vincenzo says:

avoid animal exhibits !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vincenzo
    Italia

• Shelli Bender says:

Never thought about it like that. From now on I will never go to a place where animals are for “show” Thanks PETA

• Jessica Randall says:

This is an embarracement.

• Sanjiv says:

Agree with the above, – also we need to educate people how how we actually get our milk, – the impregnation of dairy cows for 9 months a year, – subsequent slaughter of their offspring so that we can get the milk. Also, that many male chicks will die in hatcheries (maybe macerated), so that the females can lay eggs for us, last a shorter life and then are killed.

• Val says:

Help the animals because they cannot talk to end their suffering. Don’t remain silent when animals are cruelly treated.

• MARTHA LIBIA PEÑA HERRER says:

ES TERRIBLE PENSAR COMO SE SIENTEN ESTOS POBRES ANIMALES ENCERRADOS EN UNA JAULA SIN INTERACTUAR CON OTROS DE SU MISMA ESPECIE, SIN TENER LA LIBERTAD EN SU HABITAT NATURAL. ¿PORQUE LOS SERES HUMANOS NO REACCIONAMOS Y VEMOS A LOS ANIMALES COMO NUESTROS AMIGOS, SINO LOS VEMOS COMO OBJETOS DE EXHIBICION? LOS ANIMALES MERECEN RESPETO Y DEJARLOS EN SU HABITAT ES LO MEJOR, NO PRISIONEROS, SIN TENER EL MAS MINIMO CUIDADO.

• Sealcat says:

Places that are cruel to the animals in their care are horrible, and I certainly won’t visit any cruel places such as those above but I would like to point out there are a few less cruel places that house animals. I visted a sanctuary in austria where animals had spaciouse enclosers, and many of which were rescued animals that had been previously abused. So though I support PETA’s protest against cruel vacation spots, I would like to remind people not all ‘zoos’ for lack o f a better word are cruel.

• susan says:

How can we shut these people down once and for all?

• Lynn says:

Jujube … totally agree. Although I’m not militant in my love for animals, such places are completely unnatural, especially if you are dealing with “circus” type environments. Cruel and unnatural. I’d suggest people wanting to see the animals go into the wild where they actually live and observe them (with proper training beforehand, if need be). I’m a free lance photographer, videographer and musician and I love documenting animals and nature in the wild.

• Lynn says:

• Lynn says:

Disgusting!
    I’m not a fan of these kinds of parks anyway and never have been. I’ve seen a bullhook in action too, when I visited Europe years ago. They actually stick it into the elephant, enough so it bleeds and pull them around with it. I think the CIA has kinder methods than this jerks! I do like thrill rides though :) Just leave the animals out of it ….

• Jocelyne FAROUAULT says:

Just go anf walk in the nature is better than going in “deadly destination”, listen to birds, watching animals in their environnement, watch the flowers grow and have a good book to read,enjoy leisure sports : all theese things are better for human and better for animals rights … have a nice summer !

• vikki says:

Sea World

San Antonio, Texas; San Diego, California; Orlando, Florida

In their ocean homes, dolphins swim together in family pods up to 100 miles a day. At Sea World, their home is reduced to a virtual bathtub.

Sea World, which owns most of the captive orcas and dolphins in the United States, has one of the worst histories of animal care. At least 36 orcas and 54 dolphins have died at U.S. Sea World facilities. The aquarium industry worldwide has claimed the lives of at least 150 orcas and 963 dolphins. And until it was exposed to the public, Sea World routinely shot and killed hybrid ducks who flew in and joined Sea World’s resident bird population.

The wild ducks are not allowed to mingle because of the risk of disease.

• celia says:

If you love somebody, will you leave him/her as a rubish?? I do NOT think so, you will take care for him/her. Thanks a lot for loving them!!

• Patricia peters says:

Every year for tha past 10 years my husband and I have spent 2 weeks in Myrtle Beach, SC. I couldn’t wait to go to Barefoot Landing for days of shopping & dining fun. Then 2 years ago we saw the Tiger exhibit there. It was so upsetting to see them there that I told several businesses I wouldn’t be back until that exhibit was gone, and I haven’t been back since. Those poor animals are more important than a few days of fun. I take my business elsewhere. But if that habitat leaves Barefoot Landing, I’d go back in a heartbeat. Do these businesses realize how many people are appalled by these “interactive” exhibits? Instead of just walking away, tell them why you can’t do business with them anymore. They must be told, because thay’re either clueless or just don’t care.

There is also a State Park there, the name of which I cannot remember. There was a “zoo.” The zoo consisted of an allegator & otters living in disgusting mud holes, and caged birds. I left that “paradise” in tears. I’d love to go back to see the sculpture exhibits there, but can’t bring myself to go back. However, I will go in September, and if the situation is unchanged, I will report it after I voice my opinion to Park officials.

• Spiritwoman says:

Why doesn’t someone contact Dolly Parton about the inhumane treatment at Dollywood. She seems a reasonable woman.

• chander kumar soni says:

may god destroy these destinations.

• steve calder says:

its about time people stopped abusing animals just because they cant say no.you wouldent abuse a child so dont abuse the animals

• Techmonster says:

These types of abuses for human entertainment, along with the treatment of pigs on factory farms, hens in the commercial egg producing industry, duck and geese in the Foie Gras factories, and cows in all industries is inhuman, inhumane, inexcusable and unacceptable.

If these actions were committed against humans, the perpetrators would be hunted down, convicted and imprisoned for heinous atrocities and crimes against humanity.

Other living creatures are apparently not entitled to that same level of respect.

• Vikas says:

Save animals, Save humanity.

• Jordan says:

I recently attented TIGERS, the animals are confined in cages and forced to stay there at barefoot landing for hours. The viewers are told that this is not there real home and that they go to a reserve that helps to save them. I felt sick the moment I saw a mother tiger Running around the cage anxiously, because she had been separated from her baby. Meanwhile, her baby was being waken up and forced to
    Have high flashes in his eyes constantly as tourists paid over $100, to a scam that they thought was helping to save tigers and other wildlife. It makes me sick that peple can advertise to the public that they are helping animals when in reality they are doing nothing but hurting them and making money off of them. This exhibit and place is an awful place to see. And something needs to be done to help these beautiful animals that don’t deserve to be living like this…

• mmbk says:

We all need to boycott these places and write to our congress people to outlaw these horrific practices and places that participate in such cruelty.

• Cyndi says:

I can’t find the words to explain how disturbing this information is to me. I always knew that taking these animals out of their natural habitat was unhealthy but I didn’t know that they were abused as well. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I hope and pray that someday they will ALL be released into the wild where God intended them to be. I will never support any of these amusement parks or circuses or anything that confines any animal. I can’t even go into a pet store where puppies, etc. are kept in tiny cages when they need to run and frolic to get exercise. I’m so sad about all of this. Hunting animals is also violent!!!! PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS NOW!!!!!!!!

• Francoise may says:

As far as i can remember as a child at 5 years of age iwas aware of the abomination regarding thtreatment of animals by human.awareness came at aaaaavery

• Francoise may says:

• nancy says:

When I raised my children some 40 years ago, I refused to take them to zoos, Sea World, and all other places similar to those selected NOT to visit. I could not teach them that it was okay to cage animals who belonged in the wild, and that it was okay to train them for human benefit – and profit. I do not regret my decision, even though they thought I was weird compared to their friends’ parents.

• clare anderson says:

I would be interested to know of holiday destinations to avoid in Europe and in Asia. I have been to some sancturaries in malaysia, thailand and the UK and their some of their practices I didnt like.

• c harrison says:

This is a disgrace , PLEASE PLEASE LETS STOP THIS , people making money out of these poor innocent animals its disgusting , its sickining and barbarick , lets help stop this , all of these poor animals do not deserve to suffer like this , lets keep moving forward and make sure we protect these animals and aqua life , and get these idiots that think its ok to exploit them in the way they do EDUCATED and fined ( imprisonment would be more apealing , let them live in a cage)

• Sue Griffiths says:

Why can’t Peta, Humane Society and all animal advocates join together to massively lobby governments starting with USA, to call for the end of inhumane man made habitats or cages, bear pits, anywhere where animals can’t display their natural behaviour. No animal should spend its precious life behind bars or in a small pool. It’s all very well putting out petitions (and I sign them all), but something really MASSIVE needs to be done once and for all. If a place is not good enough, it should be closed down immediately, not just be given a ticking off by some toothless court. I can never understand why bad conditions are not treated as extremely urgent. No animal should be pacing back and fore, or ‘trained’ for entertainment. Just get the right laws passed and and go out on a mission to put right the many, many wrongs that are done to animals by humans. Each and every animal’s life is as precious to itself as ours is to us. Not a moment should be wasted. Perhaps we should have a petition for the big animal organisations to join together.

• BILL & CAROL says:

We beg you to have some measure of compassion for these sad unfortunate animals and listen to Peta.They feel everything we humans do ,the only difference is we can change our circumstances ,they can’t, unfortunately they are at the mercy of incompassionate human beings and unless someone who is in a position to do so,and has the guts to stand up and be counted then God help these poor animals.

• Traude F. says:

Marineland and others mean simply torture to the animals, which are destinated
    for the sea, where they used to live for many, many years. Everyone, who loves
    these admirable creatures should not and tell his children also not to
    go there as this is the only way to stop it; beyond our protests.

• Virginia Greenwood-Warner says:

I am a vegan and very very proud of it.I do not understand how people can be sooo cruel to other creatures and obviously not care. What kind of species are we? Whoever designed us must have been drunk or high at the time.

• Patricia Madi says:

Every human being should imagine being locked up in cages for life …. that might change attitudes …

• teresa clark says:

I feel helpless because all what we see, we can only comment on or sign a petition. So much cruelty in this world and yet no matter what we campaign it will still happen. I pray for the animals and children harmed by others and pray one day all this will stop.

• silvia & jean -pierre Chauvat says:

Animals are not ours to cage , maim or torment in any way , when will people realize that ? Thank you PETA for your indefatigable action , one day will see the vote of a law for the rights of animals ( human rights are daily trampled on , but that’s OUR problem as a species ). Keep informing people and compassion will develop eventually …for humans too !

• fatima says:

pls help to animals

• jeannette marriott says:

In this world there are two types of people,1 being those who care and havee compassion for all creatures in this world. 2 These are the people who only thing of how much they can make in money from animals.The second kind do not have any sence of doing the right thing,wether it be keeping them in so called zoos, experimenting on them, abusing them etc. .All animal abuse is morally wrong and if it carries on much longer then animals will all become extinct. We all are in a position to change the laws governing animal wealfare….ITS TIME TO USE YOUR VOICE AND STOP SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!!!!!

• Sudha says:

:(..I’m Sorry for those poor animals

• Taylor says:

I’m glad we can all unite as animal lovers and fight back against cruelty in this world. People that abuse animals are sickening. There’s no way I’m going to visit any location that relates to that sort in the slightest.

• Liv says:

The atrocities that are visited on all living creatures, whether in the name of science, done publicly or privately, for the almighty dollar or entertainment of some makes me ashamed to call myself a member of the human race. Thank God for PETA and and all the others who go unnamed or noticed in their good works for animals. ATROCITIES ARE NO LESS ATROCITIES WHEN THEY OCCUR IN LABS AND ARE CALLED MEDICAL RESEARCH. I would also quote Albert Einstein here, ” The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it”. Smart man. And Michael Jackson for “if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at and make that change”. That’s exactly what I am going to do.

• Carole Nestor says:

PETA you have a wonderful awareness program in place congratulations on a job well done. What a good idea to ban these places and name them perhaps some people will take notice and make sure others will realise what is going on. Wake up people of this MODERN world, animals are suffering to the max for the enjoyment of mankind both as amusement and food. Go behind the scenes in a documentary on a zoo or amusement park or take a look at a documentary on factory farming and see how your food is produced. It’s horrifying.

• Colleen Gilbee says:

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ LETS LISTEN TO PETA AND HELP THOSE POOR ANIMALS X

• ChloeC says:

ANIMALS ARE NOT FOR HUMAN ENTERTAINMENT!

WE need to educate the ignoramus to STOP these evils and decimate our greed on meat.

• nicola williams says:

name and shame

• Molly says:

Umm…the T.I.G.E.R.S place in Myrtle Beach saves their animals. And Alligator adventure has saved some. TIGERS has probably been cited so many times because they were sick when they saved them. When I went to the tiger sanctuary, a guy who owned a monkey that took a picture with people actually lived with the guy. I don’t know about the other places on this list, but if you wanna list a place in Myrtle Beach…go to the freakin Waccatee Zoo. Their animals are boarded up. Including the lions. It’s horrible. But TIGERS and Alligator Adventure are fine. They are not “mean” and “disgusting” and “horrifying” places.

• emma rugari says:

If caged animals must be mistreated all their lives for the entertainment of humans, how about they be left in peace in the wild where they belong, as nature intended.

Sincerely, Emma Rugari.

• richard says:

When i think about the cruelty of this evil human race i dispair. When i read about Peta’s valiant and brave work on earth and think abouts its founder Ingrid i tinge of hope remains. Religion has caused misery on this earth for billions of animals throughout the ages and this talk of a make believe soul is pathetic.

• snipernlucky says:

Another sickening sight is the sad and lonely life of the inhumane stupid pony ride at Rogers flea market in Rogers,Ohio. 4 ponys straped to a tight harness go around & around in a 25 ft. circle.All day long…..no matter the weather. Fun for the kids right??? I’m sure the Ponies really love it also ! Yea Right !!!