June Is ‘Adopt a Shelter Cat’ Month

Written by Ashley Palmer | June 4, 2010
It’s “Adopt a Shelter Cat” Month, and I’m here to tell you why you should do just that!

A little more than four months ago, my husband, Kevin, and I adopted Gracey, a gentle 5-year-old tabby, from a local animal shelter here in Virginia. I had never been what you would call a “cat person,” but after lots of research, Kevin and I decided that a cat would be the perfect fit for us; but even more importantly, we determined that we could provide a loving and stable environment for an animal in need.

Because of the current companion animal overpopulation crisis, approximately 6 to 8 million unwanted cats and dogs will be taken to animal shelters in the U.S. this year, and half of them will be euthanized because of a lack of good homes.

Not much is known about Gracey’s past, but before she came to live with us, she was waiting for her “forever home.” Luckily, we came along just in time. Had we not adopted Gracey, she could have become just another one of the 4 million animals who are euthanized each year.

Now, Gracey enjoys chasing the beam from our laser pointer across the hardwood floors in our apartment, lying on the windowsill on sunny days, and eating Tofurky slices while I pack my lunch each morning. Gracey has brought such joy to my life, and I couldn’t imagine it without her now.

If you have enough room in your home and in your heart, please consider adopting a cat from an animal shelter.

Commenting is closed.
  • Lisa says:

I adopted a shelter cat in June of 1995. Tess is 18 years old now and is still in good health. She got a buddy 2 years ago when I took her to the vet and someone brought in a cat while we were there to be put to sleep because she was blind and they didn’t want her – no other health problems. The cat (Agent) came home with us when we left.

• Marissa says:

Man! I adopted my kitten in May. Had I known, I may have waited until June.

She’s so wonderful!

• Elvira Linazasoro says:

You go, guys!!!!. I have adopted two kitties myself: Shady (4 ys and counting) and 3 weeks ago, Mocha. Shady “found me” outside the place I live. Mocha was adopted from a shelter in Mexico City called “Gatilandia” (“Catland”). Both are the cutest pets ever, and looking into their eyes assure me that I have done the right thing. God belss al those who adopt animals and try to give them a better living. There are lots of things to do on this yet!!!. Let’s continue with the effort!.

• joanna says:

Great article!
    My son and I are both allergic to both cats and dogs, but we are okay with poodles. We really wanted one but didn’t want to buy one, too sad with how many great pets need homes! Anyway it took a little time but we were able to adopt a min. poodle :) I am so glad we held out, he’s the best!

• Crystal says:

I adopted my cat from the local animal shelter and she is amazing! She was the only one who melted into my arms and let me scratch her belly. I wasn’t even looking to get a cat, I was making a small donation to the shelter, but of course I always take the time to give attention to the animals there. She chose me, and I could not have asked for a better friend. :)

• bunny says:

it makes me so angry when people think they dont need to neuter or spay their cats and dogs!!!!! GRRRRR

• Kelli says:

I wish I could adopt another dog, or even a cat, from the animal shelter but my landlord won’t let me have a dog or cat. He did agree to a small bird though. I bought a bird from PetCo before I read your articles, but my bird is part of my family now and can even talk. He loves to chase my feet around the floor and bite my toes.

• madison says: