Five Things Dogs Would Appreciate More Than Beer
The following article was written by PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk.
The World Records Academy has recognized Bowser Beer as the first brew made specifically for dogs. May I suggest five simple things that dogs would appreciate a lot more than a beer:
- Real walks, not “drag-alongs” with someone on their cell phone who isn’t paying attention to what they want to stop and sniff as well as outings to dog parks where they can safely run around off leash.
- The opportunity to bark now and then. People talk all day long, yet dogs are often shushed if they bark even once―even when they’re warning that someone’s coming to the door.
- Frequent and prompt bathroom breaks, i.e., don’t make your dog wait for you with legs crossed while you brush your teeth and comb your hair first thing in the morning.
- Veterinary checkups for painful dental problems―something not cool to neglect―as well as fresh, clean water rather than yesterday’s.
- Your time. Don’t be a blur, dashing in, changing, and dashing back out again, leaving your dog to stare at the walls for even more hours. Get the ball out and throw it, give tummy rubs, hang out together, and see the first bulleted item above. Provide plenty of “outside” time, even if the weather’s bad.