Companion Animal Food Guide

After uncovering extensive abuse of animals at a testing laboratory for dog and cat food maker Iams, PETA contacted hundreds of companion-animal food companies to ask if they conduct laboratory tests on animals. None of these tests is necessary or required by law, and humane alternatives do exist. Non-invasive, nonlethal, and cage-free “in-home” testing is conducted by PetSci, and collaborative veterinary clinic studies allow sick animals who are volunteered by their guardians to participate in humane feeding trials that can determine the beneficial effects of nutrition on a specific illness.

The following companies have assured PETA in writing that they do not test on animals in laboratories. Companies that are not on this list either responded to let us know that they do conduct laboratory experiments on animals or failed to respond to our numerous inquiries and are assumed to conduct laboratory experiments on animals.

[Important Note: If you have been feeding your companion animals commercial pet foods, you may be jeopardizing their health. Supermarket pet foods are often composed of ground-up parts of animals deemed by U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors unfit for human consumption. The flesh of animals who fall into one of the categories of the four D's—dead, dying, diseased, or disabled—is what often goes into pet food. Many of these animals have died of infections and other diseases. In all but a few states, it is legal to remove unusable parts from chickens and sell them to pet food manufacturers. Most pet foods contain the same hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that are found in commercial meat products for humans. If you are concerned about your companion animals' health and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food. Learn more about healthy vegetarian dog and cat food options.]

(Click here for the U.K. version of this list.)

Entirely Vegan

Dr. Harvey’s
Vegetarian dehydrated dog food
Vegetarian dehydrated cat food
1-866-362-4123

Dry Fork Milling Co.
1-800-346-1360

Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food Co., Inc.
Vegetarian canned dog/cat food
Vegetarian canned dog/cat food
1-800-288-6796

Holistic Blend
Vegan canned dog/cat food
1-800-954-1117

The Honest Kitchen
Vegan dehydrated dog food
858-483-5995

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
Vegetarian dry and canned dog food
1-800-829-4493

Natural Life Pet Products, Inc.
Vegetarian dry dog food
1-800-367-2391

Oma’s Pride
Fruit and veggie mixes
1-800-678-6627

Onesta Organics, Inc.
Vegan veggie treats for dogs
619-295-1136

Raw Advantage, Inc.
Vegetarian dog/cat formula
360-387-5158

Solid Gold
Vegetarian dog treats
800-364-4863

Want A Cookie? (has vegan options)
250-665-7387
www.wantacookie.ca

Wysong Professional Diets (has vegan options)
Vegan dog and cat food
1-800-748-0188

Commenting is closed.
  • Cassie says:

Feeding a vegetarian/vegan diet to dogs,cats or ferrets is species inappropriate just look at there teeth they clearly are evolved for eating meat I have recently switched to the prey model diet in my three cats and two dogs they are all much more energetic and are appear to be healthier. Just because we have views we should not compromise our animals health to enforce them.

• Lara says:

Are you able to provide a similar list for Australia please?

• Kelly says:

I had been feeding my dogs Wellness brand and wanted to make sure it was cruelty free. I spoke with a representative and she assured me that they do no laboratory testing. Can you add them to the list?

• Jade Simpson says:

Anyone know of cruelty free Cat Biscuits that I can buy in Australia?

• Sydney says:

I lost all my canines and 4 more teeth in a mean wildlife trap while I was walking with my companion human. She is getting educated about all sorts of terrible things that happen to animals. She feeds me V-Dog. I love it and I feel great and I am really healthy. Their new formula is even better than before. I don’t want to eat food that comes from cruelty. Omnivores may be harsh within natural environments but deliberate and sustained cruelty is not part of the picture.

• Luisa Martínez del Camp says:

Hi there, Is there any suggestion of dog food you recommend in Mexico?

• DAWN says:

BENEFUL IS THE ULTIMATE WORST..THEN PEDIGREE..THEN ALL THE PURINAS. GO TODOGFOODADVISOR.COM ITS AN AWESOME SITE THAT TELL YOU ABOUT HUNDREDS OF DIFF DOG FOOD. TYPE IN BEBEFUL I THINK ITS A MINUS ONE STAR!

• Martine says:

Do you have suggestions on good ethically produced pet food in South Africa?

• Meg strad says:

I currently have two adult Danes and a litter of 4 week old puppies.. I’m wondering about this testing on animals and danes do not live long.. So I’m just wondering now what the best dog food is to feed them.. I want the longest life possible out of my babies and I sure dont want to support any company who harm any type of animal!! I currently feed them purina.. And I spend ALOT of money on our dogs food .. Anyone who can help .. Thanks!!-meg

• Kaye says:

We feed our dogs a raw, prey model diet because it’s species appropriate. Sorry but I don’t believe in applying my principles to another creature who clearly does not live the same way or evaluate life as I do.
    In the wild my dog would scavenge and eat anything but meat would be it’s go to choice because it is what it would thrive on.
    We do however thoroughly inspect where the animals we feed our dog(mostly lamb and fish) come from and make sure they are humanely killed.

• Philip and Barbara Burghardt says:

We are feeding our second basset hound, like our first, Halo, Purely for Pets. They both loved Halo products and we love that they donate to shelters. The bonus is Halo isn’t tested on animals!!!!!!!!!

• Raine says:

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild because it doesn’t have any gluten in it. She has a gluten allergy and we found this out when she was about 6 months old. Ever since then we’ve fed her nothing but ‘holistic’ dog food. I myself am vegetarian and I feel bad that my dog isn’t. But, with her having a gluten allergy (and it is SEVERE..she can’t even have whole grain bread or oatmeal or even oatmeal shampoo on her..), is there anyway that I could get her on a vegan or vegetarian dog food? And if so, where could I find it and how much would it cost? I live in central Alabama, so choices are very limited here.

Thanks so much!

• Terri says:

what’s the point of wondering if a pet food company “tests on animals” if you are buying food with abused dead cows and chickens in it? Buy vegan dog and cat food only. I get mine at http://www.vegancats.com and they live long healthy lives and NO, cats are NOT obligate carnivores. They just need certain nutrients that these foods provide and it is not cruel to feed them this health food. It is cruel to other animals not to.

• Tsuki says:

What about Earthborn Holistic?

• Horser01 says:

Does anyone know if Purina’s Beneful is cruelty free? I never knew they tested ANIMAL food on animals, so I went to thier website to look and found this paragragh at the bottom of the page of the ONLY dog food my dog will touch…

“Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures substantiate that Beneful Original provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages of dogs”

I don’t know who the AAFCO is but… Does anyone know anything about this? I’m going to send them an email asking them what testing they use, but I can’t imagine them just saying they abuse animals or use cruel means, so… Any help would be greatly appreciated… By the way, dog food is a supliment in our house. I have three dogs, and they eat what the family eats, because they ARE family… So nothing but human grade ingrediants EXCEPT for the Beneful we keep out just IN CASE they get hungry… Otherwise they get spagetti, stir fry, hamburger… ALL my dogs and cats have loved meat AND vegetables… So they are omnivours, its just that they are more carnivour than herbavour… The same dog that won’t eat any other type of dog food than beneful has two favorite foods; green pepper and watermelon, in that order. She begs for it and looks like she’s in heaven when she gets it…

• Shelley says:

SAVE the ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shelley says:

SAVE the ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• becky says:

hey folks, i just emailed the earthborn holistic pet food folks asking them what kind of “animal tests” they do, and i received this response. i did not see them on the above list, so hopefully they are telling the truth…

Rebecca,
    Thank you for your interest in Earthborn Holistic Natural Food for Pets. We do not test on animals in laboratories. If we are introducing a new product line and need AAFCO feeding tests to ensure that the product is nutritionally complete and feeds well, we do feeding trials at a farm with an “in home” atmosphere which i s non-invasive, nonlethal and cage free. All animals are humanely treated. We also do feeding trials with our own pets; our company is committed to the humane treatment of animals.
    Cindy Montgomery
    VP, Marketing
    Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc.
    9634 Hedden Road
    Evansville, IN 47725
    p 812-867-4504, ext. 107
    f 812-867-0424
    cmontgomery@midwesternpetfoods.com

• Karmavore Vegan Shop says:

For Canada, we’re a 100% Vegan Shop and we carry vegan dog and cat food options in our retail store in BC and also offer shipping throughout Canada. We carry AMI Cat and Dog, and Natural Balance Vegan Formula Dry and Tinned. We also carry several supplements and plaque care products. You can view our online product offerings for animal companions here:

• LadyV says:

Are there any reliable site for recipes to make your own pet food?

• Alika says:

This is what I found on Orijen’s website at http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/faq/#Animal-testing

ANIMAL TESTING

This is a question we’re asked a lot, and our position on animal testing is simple – we conduct only those tests we would allow our own companion dogs and cats to participate in. If it’s not OK for our dogs and cats, then it’s not OK for any other cats and dogs. We perform only non-invasive tests, which including palatability (taste), urine pH and digestibility (the latter through stool analysis only). These tests are never performed with dogs or cats kept in a laboratory environment (cages).

• Sharon says:

I have been buying the verselle-laga brand from my feed store for a large number of domesticated and feral cats. It is the only food that all seem to like but having looked up their website to see if they test on animals I am still left unsure. They say they do non-invasive taste testing in a facility they have for dogs, cats, birds and rodents yet later mention they work with university laboratories. This is the link where I found this information http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutrition/Pages/Versele-Laga/BE/EN/PetResearchCenter.jsp?lng=3&mkt=11963 Do you have any information on this brand with regards to the welfare of the animals used in their taste testing?

• Scott says:

Gary…..Free range for animals AND people in my opinion

• Caterina Mollica says:

Hi all,

I would like to buy for my pets the Nutro Choise food produced in th USA.

Could you inform me if this food is not tested on animals?

Thanks a lot, I hope you can help me!

Caterina

• agilityfreak16 says:

I was wondering about Origin also. It’s a Canadian pet food brand and very expensive and high quality… do they test on animals?

• Gary says:

I am concerned with the welfare of animals, there is no question about that fact. Consequently, I have to wonder if it is even ethical at all for us to have as companion animals those critters whose evolutionary track made them quite carnivorous. I’m speaking primarily of cats, and with no offense intended to cat lovers. I, myself, am a cat lover. However, in my experience, a cat would never go after a plate of veggies. Is it ethical for humans to force upon another creature that which is against its nature? Try feeding a lion a veggie burger and see whether the offering, or the offeror, is the first to be consumed!

My key question is this: having a companion animal such as a cat, would it not be more ethical to find an alternative with the least possible cruelty? I hate to make such choices, but I think if I had to pick between the death of a cow or a fish, I’d choose the fish.

Again, no offense is intended to anyone. I simply have doubts as I have illustrated above. I would greatly appreciate insightful help!

I hope “expert” from 8/8 doesn’t have any remarks for me…to that person: your attitude is far too polarizing and angry…you will do nothing for the cause of kindness to all animals except push non-supporters even further away.

• Krista says:

I noticed a couple people asking about Blue Buffalo. I wrote the company an email regarding animal testing, as this is the food I was feeding my Rhodesian Ridgeback. Per their response, Blue Buffalo uses dogs and cats for palatability testing only. Although that doesn’t answer the question of how they acquire their testers or how they are treated. To be safe, I changed my pup to the vegan Natural Balance and free range local meat that I cook for her myself. I find these lists that PETA provides very helpful in shopping for cruelty free products, but I do encourage everybody to consult your vet when making food choices for your pet. After all, the last animal you should be cruel to is your own.

• Jackie87 says:

Can someone make a Canadian pet food list, as a lot of locally-made companies seem and claim to be animal-friendly, but I’m uncertain. Particularly interested in Orijin. I feed my dog vegan Natural Balance, and I was feeding my cat Natural balance salmon formula, until it caused him to have Crystalluria. So specifically looking for a cruelty-free urinary diet for cats… any ideas?

• Arlene says:

What if you have a bunny or a guinea pig? Does Kaytee test on animals?

• jmg says:

Don’t forget Humane Choice, available at whole foods. Cruelty free and supports the HSUS!

• Stacy Hollister says:

To “expert”‘s comment on 8/8. Why do some people have to come across so nasty? I don’t know what your expertise is but people who comment on this website are sharing info and learning as well. What are you doing other than behaving in a and rude manner?

• Patty says:

I wonder about the new “natural” dog food named Blue. Does anyone know if they do animal experimental testing?

• Catherine says:

Hi, is Target’s brand of cat food labeled Boots & Barkley a cruelty free product? Thanks.

• Nikki says:

I use Blue. Do they test on animals? Ugh.

• expert says:

All you dillrods sputtering your “carnivores need meat, it’s cruel, bla bla bla” – just go back to Fox news website and troll there. Unless you’re willing to read about actual nutritional needs, don’t bother us with your “you/your animal must eat meat” drivel. Hint for you: a “health care worker” degree from a community college or a receptionist at a vet in Kansas doesn’t make you an expert. It only makes you ignorant, apparently.

• Susan says:

Scooterfood is an awesome dog food. My dog has severe allergies and really doesn’t like but one or two brands of food. When she got her Scooterfood she loved it. Check out http://www.wow-bow.com

• Susan says:

Those of you who are pet food “experts” need to check out Ami Cats vegan cat food. It has been used safely for years to feed cats. http://www.vegancats.com. Oh yeah, I’m a vet tech specialing in nutrition.

• Sally says:

As a qualified animal care worker, I think it’s a wonderful idea to add vegetables and the like to the companion animal diet and I would personally recommend doing it, however I would not recommend an all vegan diet for a cat as they are obligate carnivores and I agree with Nicole it would be animal abuse in a sense because the cat for example would not be getting it’s proper REQUIRED nutrients. I would recommend that all cat owners in particular look for organic and free range meat…DO NOT buy factory farmed meat or support factory farms!!

• marcelo says:

thank you PETA has provided a wealth of information that is monstrous really what happens in the name of pseudo science
    companies that do not test products on animals should be supported as they use the tests in anomie should be boycotted
    as well as circuses that use animals in their numbers.

• Fran says:

I feed my dog dry and can from Blue Buffalo Co. I use the Mature. It is made with white fish and veggies. Do you know anything about this brand? I hope they don’t do cruel testing or use products from cruel industry.

• Laurie says:

Thank you, PETA, for compliling this list. It has been very useful to me and my 8 dogs. Keep up the great work. Your efforts have made a tremendous difference for animals. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• Kiki says:

Natures Domain??? We buy it from costco? Thought it was a good food company. But, don’t see it on the list!!!! Whahhhhhhhhhh!!! I’m calling the company right now to find out more. Does anyone know of this brand?

• jane says:

This is sort of a new concept to me, a relatively new vegan. Can natural carnivores actually live on a vegetarian diet?

• slg13 says:

It appears that Onesta Organics, Inc. is NOT entirely vegan as the list states; they sell dehydrated meat-based pet food.

• CJ says:

I was directed to this site while looking for dog-care tips. There are definitely some serious issues that you bring to light about the pet food industry: animals shouldn’t be used in cruel testing practices and shouldn’t be given meat that is considered unfit for human consumption (although they do have iron stomachs!). I also like your tip on walking a dog while on a harness rather than with a collar, and I’ll be looking into that, as my dog has some problems with her collar.

However, like many commenters above said, dogs and cats should not be given a meat-free diet. Although at least you’re consistent, this is going too far: these animals are all or part carnivores, just like many other animals and people. I wish PETA would start focusing on humane treatment of livestock, rather than asking people (and now their pets!) to stop eating stuff that we’ve been consuming literally for millions of years! You could also help promote research into the emerging lab-grown meat experiments, which could prevent animals from getting slaughtered, solve a lot of the environmental issues involved with raising livestock, AND feed large numbers of hungry people!

• Nicole says:

What kind of list is this? There are foods on this list that you by-products, chemicals and all sorts of “stuff” I would never feed (see Sauder Feeds, geez). And then encouraging people to feed vegetarian or vegan options – you can do whatever you like, but carnivores are – wait for it – carnivores! Shocking! Requiring your pet to be a vegetarian just because you are is inhumane – if you are concerned about this for your pet, find a cruelty free, high quality food (some of which are on this list, but there are many more than what made this list). And everyone is going to have an opinion, trying reading an ingredient panel instead of taking someone’s word for it – so many people believe Science Diet and Dog Chow are great foods because their vet told them it was fine. Apparently people who read this list think this PETA list = healthy – not true!

• leannan says:

I just found out about a very common emulsifier that we were always told was sea weed carrageenan it’s in everything pet food people food it irritates the stomach possible Celiac in humans used to irritate the stomachs of lab animals – I don’t want to know why— We just started looking for that in commercial cat so no info yet
    cats always seem to have an upset stomach and everyone I knew thought is was normal for a cat to
    actually throw up (not hair balls)) but food or bile It is not normal

• Deb says:

Does anyone know of a pet biscuit food company who sell in Australia who don’t test on animals or use animal bits in their processing? Thanks

• Ellie says:

I’m totally against lab testing and any mistreatment on animals. One thing; dogs and cats especially need meat. Vegetarian diet does not supply what they need from eating meat. I’m ure someone will say they can use supplements but do they really know how much to give. Cats have died from a diet without meat. They will go blind also. Animas are carnivorous.

• Nikola says:

If you’re looking for a vegetarian diet for your pets, I would recommend looking into Missing Link. Its a vitamin supplement powder Its available for several kinds of animals, has a vegetarian formula (at least for cats and dogs, i know) and I have read lots of excellent things. I haven’t put my animals on vegetarian diets but I still use the vitamins and I can see the benefits.