Companion Animal Food Guide

After uncovering extensive abuse of animals at a testing laboratory for dog and cat food maker Iams, PETA contacted hundreds of companion-animal food companies to ask if they conduct laboratory tests on animals. None of these tests is necessary or required by law, and humane alternatives do exist. Non-invasive, nonlethal, and cage-free “in-home” testing is conducted by PetSci, and collaborative veterinary clinic studies allow sick animals who are volunteered by their guardians to participate in humane feeding trials that can determine the beneficial effects of nutrition on a specific illness.

The following companies have assured PETA in writing that they do not test on animals in laboratories. Companies that are not on this list either responded to let us know that they do conduct laboratory experiments on animals or failed to respond to our numerous inquiries and are assumed to conduct laboratory experiments on animals.

[Important Note: If you have been feeding your companion animals commercial pet foods, you may be jeopardizing their health. Supermarket pet foods are often composed of ground-up parts of animals deemed by U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors unfit for human consumption. The flesh of animals who fall into one of the categories of the four D's—dead, dying, diseased, or disabled—is what often goes into pet food. Many of these animals have died of infections and other diseases. In all but a few states, it is legal to remove unusable parts from chickens and sell them to pet food manufacturers. Most pet foods contain the same hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that are found in commercial meat products for humans. If you are concerned about your companion animals' health and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food. Learn more about healthy vegetarian dog and cat food options.]

(Click here for the U.K. version of this list.)

Entirely Vegan

Dr. Harvey’s
Vegetarian dehydrated dog food
Vegetarian dehydrated cat food
1-866-362-4123

Dry Fork Milling Co.
1-800-346-1360

Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food Co., Inc.
Vegetarian canned dog/cat food
Vegetarian canned dog/cat food
1-800-288-6796

Holistic Blend
Vegan canned dog/cat food
1-800-954-1117

The Honest Kitchen
Vegan dehydrated dog food
858-483-5995

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
Vegetarian dry and canned dog food
1-800-829-4493

Natural Life Pet Products, Inc.
Vegetarian dry dog food
1-800-367-2391

Oma’s Pride
Fruit and veggie mixes
1-800-678-6627

Onesta Organics, Inc.
Vegan veggie treats for dogs
619-295-1136

Raw Advantage, Inc.
Vegetarian dog/cat formula
360-387-5158

Solid Gold
Vegetarian dog treats
800-364-4863

Want A Cookie? (has vegan options)
250-665-7387
www.wantacookie.ca

Wysong Professional Diets (has vegan options)
Vegan dog and cat food
1-800-748-0188

Commenting is closed.
  • Missy says:

Unfortunately I am a little late in discovering Innova (Naturapet) was bought by Procter & Gamble last year so I am in the process of choosing a new food for my dogs. I am down to 3 dog foods. I really liked the looks of Nature’s Variety until I saw their FAQ on animal testing on their website:

“The test facilities we contract with are under federal inspection; all animals are cared for in accordance with established animal welfare rules and sanitation standards. These facilities have a “no-kill” policy, choosing to adopt-out the animals to loving homes after a few years.”

This statement is very concerning to me and I believe goes against them being on this list. They are testing in a lab and looks like they don’t have any oversight themselves. This was very disappointing to me.
    I also liked the looks of Fromm. But Fromm started out in 1904 as a silver fox fur farm, the largest commercial fur farm in the world at one time. They closed their doors in 1986. Even though they don’t do it anymore I still find myself wrestling with that fact.
    My 3rd choice is Petcurean Go! and Now! Their website says they just do food trials on employee, family and friends dogs.

• Sam says:

I’m having a bit of a moral dilema with the food I’m giving to my cats. I’m a vegetarian and I recognize that cats cannot thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet, and so I’m required to abandon my morals in that regard. What I am trying to do, however, is find reliable, nutritious and eco-friendly cat foods to replace the ones I’m using. At the moment I’m feeding a combination of Nature’s Vareity dry food and Merrick’s and Fromm wet food. All of these foods are nutritionally sound and giving my cats what they need, but I’m having issues with some of their practices. I see that Fromm is on the list of cruelty free companion animal food companies, but at the same time, I’m trying to find some other good quality companies as well. I like to offer my cats a vareity of wet foods for their diet (I find feeding one of my two cats Fromm too frequently tends to upset her sensetive stomach) and even after searching through the companies listed here, I’m finding that their practices are sound but their nutrition is not always as reliable. Not to mention many of the companies are lacking in the eco- and enviro-friendly department. This turned out to be much longer than I expected… Anyway, any advice is much appreciated and loved.

• mobishop says:

About Blue Buffalo….Does anyone know what kind of testing they actually do? Just because it is not invasive, does not mean that it is not harmful. Also, does anyone know where they get their meat sources from?

• Amy says:

This is what the Blue Buffalo website has in response to the FAQ about whether the company conducts animal testing: “Blue Buffalo does not do any invasive animal testing. Our company was founded on the basis of providing the best possible nutrition for dogs and cats, and we treat our pets like family members. We do conduct trials where our products are fed to pets, but only under conditions that are healthy and comfortable for the animals.” I hope that puts the company on the clear and that it can be added to PETA’s list.

• Mady says:

does merrick do animal testing?

• Ashley-P says:

Melissa and Star: Thanks for your comments! This list only includes companies which have signed PETA’s statement of assurance that they do not test their products on animals. If you’re uncomfortable with feeding your animal companions food which contains meat (which many people are), then please check out our information regarding vegetarian diets for cats and dogs: http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx

• Melissa says:

PETA, I have always loved you and believed in the information you provide. Will there be furthur investigation because of the comments made by “Star?”

• DEW says:

My 20 cats who are both indoors and out all enjoy and seem to thrive on 2 kinds of “natural” non-vegan dry food, Bench & Field and Trader Joe’s (that sadly are not on this list), and several flavors of Trader Joe’s canned food. Only because of recent financial constraints I have been reluctantly forced to mix in some commercial dry and canned foods such as Friskies and Sophisticat, which they like too but I know how bad they are (wish the “premium” foods were not so damned expensive all the time). Last year I bought several months’ worth of dry and canned 100% vegan Evolution by mail and they accepted that mixed with canned food but obviously prefer something with meat/fish. Some cats also like plain yogurt. If all sorts of imitation meats can be created for human consumption from soy, seitan, etc. (and the taste and texture are exactly like the real thing too), then I want to know why can this not be done for cat and dog diets?

• momof2bellas says:

So did Purina not respond or do they test on animals? Either way, we will be switching both animals off of it and to something on this list!

• Emily says:

Does anybody know what blue buffalo does to end up on the tests on animals list?

• Janna says:

I live in sunny South Africa. We have 7 cats and a dog, they are all rescued. We love them all dearly and try our best for them. We also love all the other animals and we really don’t want them to suffer. I would love to feed my pets on everything organic and free range (still cannot imagine going strictly vegetarian/vegan though – I can live without meat and other animal products, but i don’t think they can!), but the truth is – one cannot always afford it… The super premium brands here are really few, we’ve only got Royal Canine, Hills and Iams, Purina is next (higher premium), and I don’t even look at the shelves in supermarkets. My pets prefer Royal Canine. Any advice how to be animal friendly and reasonable towards my babies at the same time? Would really appreciate it…

• ldygrnleaf says:

I was very glad to find that all my dogs fave brands are not tested on animals. My pup is a picky eater but he goes gaga over cooked pumpkin and sweet potato mixed with his food.

• Kate says:

This is dumb, not all pet food companies that animal test are abusing their animals. Purina, for one, actually treats their animals very well. they house their dogs in pairs and in sizable runs for the dog’s size. They house their cats in kitty condos. Purina also does not induce diseases in their animals, but instead collaborates with veterinarians to do in house studies. Why does PETA always need to focus on horribly cruel things done to animals instead of the good thing some researching facilities do? In my opinion, PETA always takes their ideas a little too far. Everything on here is always so gruesome or outrageous.

• Theresa says:

Is Newmans Own cat food one of the companies that got their ingredients from a slaughterhouse? Since you have pointed out that some of these companies are indeed being inhumane it is even harder for me to find a good cat food that does not test on animals and that does not endorse mistreatment. I do not trust this list now

• Sally says:

Innova, evo and california natural are now all owned by P&G (proctor and gamble). They are at the top when it comes to the worst animal testing in the world. Not to mention the disgusting ingrediants they put into their “food”. Unfortunatly i’ve had to buy my last California Natural (Natura) product because I’ve now been informed that this once, independant and caring company, are sell outs to the evil company that is Proctor and Gamble.

• Star says:

You have several companies here who are/were using slaughtered horse& cow meat to feed domestic animals( and zoo animals).

How do I know? I was part of the covert slaughterhouse investigation and I see the names of the companies that utilized this slaughterhouse for its meat.

A slaughterhouse which had brutal methods of killing animals. this list.

You really need to do more research on the companies you promote.

THERE IS NO HUMANE SLAUGHTER WATCHDOG IN PLACE WHEN ANIMALS ARE KILLED TO BE FOOD FOR ANIMALS.

(But then humane slaughter has always been an oxymoron in my opinion. )

By listing these companies on your site-you give your stamp of approval to them.

You are also approving the death of these cows and horses( many pets- many former racehorses) for the consumption of pet/zoo food regardless how horrific the slaughter methods may be.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND RESEARCH WHO YOU PROMOTE IN YOUR NAME-YOU ARE MISLEADING PEOPLE! Learn where the food is coming from and how it is processed. Peta dropped the ball big time on this one.

• n van os says:

Does either EVO or Taste of the Wild use animal testing. Plus, what type of animal testing is being used?

• MARY says:

Dear friends: there are NO vegan options for cats. Unlike dogs, cats are defined biologically as predators,and are the ONLY true predator successfully “domesticated” by man. Aside from the occasional grazing which helps to regulate their digestive systems, all felines live exclusively on meat. Feeding cats on a vegetarian diet will cause blindness, among other conditions. We have evolved as omnivores: cats have not. It is not a kindness to your companion animal to force it to be something it is not. The best we can do is to try to buy and eat vegetables as much as possible ourselves, unless one has a condition, such as chronic kidney stone formation, that does not allow me to consume soy beans and their derivatives, and nuts in any form. These and many other “healthy” foods contain oxalates, which are necessary for the formation of calcium/oxalate stones. Since I DON’T eat red meat (anything mammal) my choices are even more limited. I struggle with this, but I would NEVER deny my cats the food they are designed to eat, any more than I would let them run “free” outdoors to be subject to a life that is nasty, cold, brutal, and short. What good does it do to kill one’s own pet with a devotion to food animals based on not being cruel? It’s not easy, but it’s true.

• cyndi says:

I checked here to see if orijen was a non animal tested food and thank you so much for answering my question, its not. I have spent alot of time trying to choose the right food for my dog but there doesnt seem to be alot of info on canadian dog food manufacturers. I am glad that I am not contributing to animal testing in that way. It has been a little bit of work but we as a household are also changing alot of our products from make up and hair spray to cleaning products that ARE NOT tested on animals. In the end its worth it because I can feed my dog and clean my house with a clear mind and I hopw that anyone reading this who hasn’t made the decision to do so you should.

• Sarah Ann says:

Orijen and Acana, made by Champion Pet Foods are not tested on animals. They also use free range and wild caught meats. My dogs do extremely well on this food and it is an omnivore-type diet. While feeding raw, locally and lovingly raised, meats and vegetables is best, it simply does not work for everyone. This is a great alternative. I do not want comments on the vegetarian/carnivore/omnivore diets that everyone has an opinion on. Most prefer to include meat proteins in their pets’ diets and I thought this would be good to add.

• wolfcat87 says:

I do rescues and the cats all get Wellness cat food and Soulstice wet because we tested every food on them and those were in the top of what they liked. And our dogs eat Blue Buffalo, Wellness, and the great dane gets Innova mixed in. Merrick wet food is a favorite for our dogs too. Merrick isn’t very nutritious for a dog staple food. I’d also like to know about the “raw” freeze dried diet foods on the petco site because I’ve considered trying those on the dogs.

Wellness is the best cat food you can find anywhere that has a Petco and you can buy stuff separate for hairballs at petco. Just do that. I live in Montana so keep in mind that Petco and Walmart are easiest and Walmart pet food is not quality at all. Neither are the other major non pet store chains that sell pet food.

Mick, dogs do care about their quality f food.

KK, cats can healthily eat dry cat food if you give them plenty of wet food and cat milk with it and water too. Or you can moisten the dry food. They will eat wet food and drink cat milk endlessly if you let them. lol

And Innova isn’t a high quality food for most dogs, my dane only gets it mixed in when he’s growing a little too fast so his joints won’t break and fuse and cause him future problems. I’d never feed their food to my rescue dogs. Just because it’s human grade doesn’t mean it’s best for your pet.

• wolfcat87 says:

Any word on Wellness and Soulstice pet foods? Or Innova

• Suttie says:

This has been an extremely enlightening thread but now I am concerned about my cat. I thought I was giving her the best food available because she has such long hair and she gets hair balls which cause her to cough unless I feed her IAMS hairball formula. Does anybody have an alternative suggestion? She lost her mother so she had to be bottle fed and now, at two years old, she still suckles her right arm every morning while lying on my chest before I get out of bed. I read that she may suckle her arm for life; thus, the forever hairball problem with this Turkish Angora. Any safe alternatives would be greatly appreciated. Suttie.

• Tamarah Cohen says:

What about INNOVA, please?

• Moema says:

Hi, I live in Brazil and I buy Royal Canin cat food for my pets but I didn’t see the name of this company in Peta’s list. As Royal Canin is an international company, can I assume that they do conduct anymals tests on laboratory? I really apreciate if someone answer this question as we don’t have any Brazilian organisation taking care of such issues. Thanks in advance!

• 4mula1 says:

dearest teri.. vegan by design, it ISNT natural for humans to eat meat. our species DID NOT evolve as carnivores. (PCRM.ORG) the arteries become as hard and brittle as the stem of a clay pipe. they are so full of calcium they are more like rocks than blood vessels. cutting them with a scissor at autopsy makes a distinct crunching sound. this blockage also occurs in the arteries to the brain. when they close off, part of the brain dies A STROKE. its the meat n dairy (milk is for baby cows, get soymilk) that clog arteries and lead to heart attack, stroke, ed, ect.. did you say do your research… and whats your point about meat? why get ANY bag with meat in it when it may NOT be cruelty free such as newmans own & (#1 in petfood) wysong, ect..

• Monika says:

I just bought Wellness dog food (so far the ONLY ONE my dog even ate without any convincing!!!)and was sad not to find it on this list. Surprisingly Eagle Pack made the list even though they are really the same company called WellPet LLC. Huh??? So are they or not cruelty free???

• Reiko89 says:

@ Jennifer, I seriously hope your friend no longer feeds her dog that way. That is FAR from a balanced diet. Seriously, rice, chicken legs and kiwi fruit!? I fed my dog a raw diet for a little while and he got chicken (I bought a whole chicken and cut it into peices for him) spinach, kale, green beans, peas, carrots, radishes, acorn squash, summer squash, zucchini, apples, berries, beef kidney, beef intestines, chicken liver and hearts at EVERY SINGLE MEAL, plus I supplemented his diet with a vitamin e supplement and an omega 3-6-9 vitamin, AND a dollop of yogurt. It was surprisingly easy, just throw everything into a giant food processor (but not the chicken) and grind it up. I made a month’s worth of food at a time, each day he would get a hunk of chicken and bone and a spoon or two of the veggies and yogurt, prep time for each month was about a half an hour. Prep time each day was about 5 minutes. I cannot believe that woman thinks chicken, rice and kiwi is in any way appropriate.

• Kris says:

Proctor & Gamble has bought out the company that makes Innova and Evo dog food. It’s a very high-rated dog food but this is a major red flag; they’ll probably change the recipe. I won’t buy it anymore since I don’t support P&G. I’d like to see if there are any other dog food companies that can go on the good list – Blue Buffalo and Merrick. They are really good dog foods.

• Vivien says:

Is there an Australian list? Also, the link to the UK list lead to ‘page not found’.

• jess says:

how shameful that an organisation that exists solely to promote the health and safety of animals is urging people to feed their cats and dogs vegan/vegetarian food. completely horrible, please revise this list. i’m vegan but feeding a vegan diet to companion animals, particularly cats, is immoral. you don’t take grass from cows, so don’t take meat from cats.

• Sharonann wogan says:

to Canaduck commented: 10-14-2010 12:39 AM
    Hey sheri–dogs are omnivores, like us, so they can be vegan easily; in fact, the world’s oldest dog eats a vegan diet. Cats are more complicated, obviously, because they ARE carnivores.
    Canaduck is absolutely correct! Dogs are omnivores and not Vegetarians. They Eat meat and GRASS! They have the CANINES which are special teeth for tearing flesh and teeth for grinding grass. Grass is found in the stomachs of animals that they eat. They do actually dine on the stomachs of animals for that purpose. Why do you think you see dogs eat grass? Its not to make themselves throw up. Its for digestion and nutrition. They eat both! However, they are not wild dogs, they are domesticated dogs. They are also not meant to dine on corn or wheat at ALL! They cant process it. it turns to sugar which their systems cant process!

• Teri says:

Dogs eat MEAT! It is natural for dogs AND humans to eat meat. I love my dog more than anything in the world and I love all other animals too, but it is important to ensure your dog gets a diet of mainly meat.Do your research.

• Elizabeth says:

One problem is that vegan and many of these dog and cat foods listed are very expensive, and I just can’t afford it. If there were any way they could lower their prices it would be great. I found one veggie cat food for $25 for 8 lbs. That’s just impossible (not to mention my cats hate veggies!).

• Genevieve Hannon says:

PETA is absolutely correct about the dangers of feeding you pets supermarket brands and most commercial brands of pet food. Pick up a copy of the great book “Food Pets Die Food” – it’s a well-respected expose on the infamous Pet Food Industry. The brands listed above are mostly terrific, though, but do your research. Other sources to check out are http://www.dogfoodanaylysis.com and http://www.petfoodratings.net. Sadly, vets know little about nutrition, something that when I am a vet in a few years, I hope to change dramatically. Vet Rx food brands are some of the poorest quality out there too. Friskies, Iams, Hills – these are the Cheetos and MacDonald’s of diets. However, feeding your cats and dogs a vegan or veggie diet is almost as dangerous as crappy commercial food, even if it is well-supplemented, it is highly species-inappropriate. Cats are obligate carnivores. Most of their diet needs to come from meat-based protein with a tiny bit of ground plant-based matter (think: mouse body – muscle, bones and organs with pre-digested plants in its stomach). Dogs are carnivores as well but can be adapted to be omnivores more easily. They are in fact, though, carnivores. Most of their diet also needs to be meat-based protein with little veggies and fruits ground up and pre-digested by the animal its eating (or by your grinder). I highly recommend for us vegetarians out there making a homemade diet for your pets of meats sources from farmers who respect their animals. Cooking for your animals is a treat. It’s how they ate before the pet food industry came along and screwed it all up 100 years ago. Better yet, feed them a raw meat diet. If buying a grinder and making this feast is not up your alley, then I recommend commercial raw food companies Stella and Chewey’s or Primal, who are small, kind, and animals are raised on pasture, free-roaming, humanely treated, organic. Call the companies -ask questions. Stay away from kibble for your cats – it is asking for health issues for a multitude of reasons. And for dogs, kibble is ok but keep in mind its higher caloric count than wet. Wet canned food from the above companies is excellent as a choice for cooked, processed food if that is your choice. But please do not impose your morals on your pets. They are not meant to be vegan or vegetarian like we can be.

• Jennifer says:

I had a friend who fed her dog, for lunch and dinner, rice (I seem to recall 1/2 boil-in-the-bag pouch of rice, two sliced kiwi fruit (with the skin on) and two raw chicken legs, bones and all. The bones are safe for dogs when chicken is totally raw. The bones only become dangerous when cooked. Dog and cat digestive systems are designed to healthily process raw meats without the infections humans would risk suffering. My friend’s fluffy chow mix dog had the glossiest coat, and was healthy and energetic.

This seems to me an easy way to feed a dog a balanced meal (though personally I’d want to mix up the meal, not giving the same thing every meal, and use brown rice instead of the white she used). It also seems a great way for meat-squeamish vegetarians to feed their pets what they need whilst minimizing the amount they need to handle or look at the body parts of dead creatures. Other options can be easily thought up too. Many butchers would be happy to set aside gizzards for you (they get tossed otherwise), so you needn’t have to clean the bird yourself, I’m sure.

I like Ali’s idea of pre-making big batches of doggy and kitty stews and purees (or at least pre-preparing the ingredients) for later use. Makes me wonder if one could use muffin tins to make miniature pot-pies for pets! Put a whole wheat crust around it, and they’d get grain, meat, and veggies! Freeze and just heat in the microwave or oven when needed.

• Ali says:

Kathy, I personally would avoid Iams at this point because I very much doubt that they did a full one-eighty in how they test their food. This is just my take.

Elsje, I’m sure if you contact some other pet food companies, that you’ll find something that you’re comfortable with. If you have the time, you can also make your pet’s food.

My mother makes her cats’ food. You can find recipes online, but all she does is cut up and cook a whole chicken in a big pot of boiling water, then she takes it out and pulls of the meat, putting it back into the pot with the water. Then, she adds fish, additional organ meat (chopped very fine), and non-starchy vegetables, cooks it all until it’s very well done, and then purees it in the food processor. She divides this up in to little containers and freezes them, so she only has to make cat food once a month. You can give your cats supplements if you want to ensure that they’re getting everything, but all my research shows that organ meat is really where they get their nutrition from.

For my dog, I make her a stew with lots of rice, beef heart, beef liver, and potato and carrot peels that I reserve (chopped up small and frozen), until I’m ready to make stew. I mix this in with kibble so that she’s not getting so much processed food. This also gets her to eat, as she’s very picky. I could probably feed her home-made food exclusively, but I would want to supplement her diet because dogs are omnivores. You will also find a much larger number of dog food recipes online that cat food recipes, but I stick with this “stew” that I made up because my dog is older, loves rice, and it’s something inexpensive that she’ll actually eat!

The nice thing about making your own food is that you can control the ingredients. For example, I’m vegan personally, but I only buy meat for my pets’ food from an organic family farm that at a farmer’s market. They have pictures of their farm and I can clearly see how the animals live their lives.

I’m a huge PETA supporter, and I wish it were so that no animal ever had to suffer or die to be food, but I must say that cats are obligate carnivores, and switching our cats to an all-meat, with some vegetable (but no carb!) diet has improved their health tremendously.

• Elsje Massyn says:

I live in South Africa, can anyone help me with cruelty free and healthy names of dog and cat food companies in this country. I dont see anything vegetarian for my cats (dogs). All I see is Hills / Iams / Whiskas / Epol / Catmor etc. – how do I know if this food has been tested on animals or contain sick animal products, If I cannot rely on the word of these companies that they are not using harmful products or test on animals. Can anyone help me with a list of petfoot that we can find in South Africa also, the list you provided on PETA seems only available in European countries. Thanks everyone

• Mick says:

Agreed – no animal should be subjected to lab tests for anything! As far as quality of food goes, I don’t think dogs really care – my dog will bury a nice fresh bone and leave it till it is stinking and maggot infested. The cats however are more fussy.

• KK says:

I try to find info online about how cats have fared on long-term vegan/vegetarian diets and there’s very little info. I do know that I would never feed my cat dry food, veg or not. They drink very little being former desert cats (they’re descended from cats that were desert dwellers). They need to get adequate liquid thru the food they eat. If there was a good quality vegan or vegetarian *wet* food, I might consider it, but feeding your cat dry food is a huge burden on its kidneys and could, and often does, lead to kidney disease or urinary problems.

The most effective way to get people to convert, PETA, is to start a page on your web site devoted to testimonials of people whose cats have been on long-term vegan/veg diets. Also, work with someone to develop a *wet* cat food, it’s much healthier for them.

• Kathy Grant says:

I do not buy Iams cat food, but I recently contacted Iams food company to tell them that I had heard that they abuse animals when testing their pet food products and that I would like confirmation that they no longer do this. They said that they now only use ethical, cruelty-free testing for their pet foods. Is this true or are they just fobbing me off with lies?!

• Brittany says:

I think most people are missing the point of this list, finding the best food for your pet is not just about the ingredients, why purchase a product from a company that conducts laboratory tests on animals? As shown in this list there are many healthy pet foods that ARE NOT associated with animal testing. If your dog or cat’s food is not on this list, you should make the switch, not just for YOUR furry friend, but for the helpless animals subjected to the testing of your pet’s food.

• Debbie says:

I have 4 dogs and I feed them Innova only. Nothing in here listed the quality of the dogfood, which foods are best to feed our dogs. Innova is human grade food which means if I ate it I would not get sick. I know that some foods use diseased animals, some even use dead dogs, these things need to be addressed so we know that we are feeding our dogs healthy foods from companies that do not do abusive testing. I do not want to take years off of my dogs life by feeding them diseased foods. nor do I want anything to do with a company that abuses animals so let me know please. Dog food has been a big issue with me since the food recalls. I have seen good changes in my dogs coats after using innova for a few weeks.

• Fiat says:

I would never force a vegan lifestyles onto my cats or dogs. I have seen them kill plenty of wild animals (turkey, ducks, mice, more) in our yard to know that they would choose meat over vegetables any day. Half the time they don’t even eat the poor animals they catch.

We’ve been feeding out bunch Nutri-vet. They are growing tired of it so we’re going to switch to something else. Thanks for the list!

• Patty Bowers says:

This is an excrutiating question for me because I do believe that cats and dogs are carnivores. I wish someone could PROVE to me that healthy, happy, long lived cats and dogs have survived on vegan food their entire lives since leaving their mothers.

• SierraFox says:

I agree with Canaduck. All dogs are omnivores and cats, among other pets like ferrets are carnivores.

• Canaduck says:

• sheri says:

No offence to vegans and vegetarians. But the fact of the matter is, cats and dogs are carnivores, not vegans. I’m sorry but dogs in the wild do not go hunting for corn or veggies. Even if I choose to live the vegan lifestyle, I would never force my pets to do the same, as I own ferrets. Ferrets are obligate carnivores, meaning they only need meat to survive. They lack a secum, which means they can not process fruits and vegetables.

• Veganman says:

Entirely vegan animal, hooray! My 12 lb.,strong and fast cat will be overjoyed!

• Susan Hoppler says:

We feed our cats Evolution dry food – it’s vegan and they love it. We are getting a rescue dog that will be joining our family within the next week (SO excited!) and we will be feeding her Evolution, also. The company is great – I had a couple of nutrition questions and the owner of the company called to talk to me – I thought that was pretty cool. My cats have been eating vegan for close to two years now and are doing great – my veterinarian agrees.