Beauty Without Bunnies 101

Welcome, shoppers! By purchasing only cruelty-free products, you can help save rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, rats, and other animals from excruciating tests and a lifetime of suffering. But how do you know which companies and products are cruelty-free? PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies program is the ultimate resource for conscientious shoppers, making the quest for cruelty-free products as easy as (vegan) pie. With our searchable online database, you can search by company name or product type to learn which products are cruelty-free.

And when you’re out shopping, look for PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo—products proudly displaying this logo are cruelty-free, meaning that they were produced without testing on animals. Here are just a few companies that have licensed PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo:

Animal Testing

Hundreds of thousands of animals are poisoned, blinded, and killed every year in archaic product tests for cosmetics, personal-care products, household cleaning products, and even fruit juices. Although more than 1,300 companies have banned all animal tests, some corporations still force substances into animals’ stomachs and drip chemicals into rabbits’ eyes. These tests are not required by law, and they often produce inaccurate or misleading results—even if a product has blinded an animal, it can still be marketed to you.

Appalled that animal testing for cosmetics is happening right now and that hundreds of thousands of animals are suffering for products such as lipstick and shampoo? Take action today and urge decisionmakers to ban cosmetics testing on animals in the United States!

Rabbit Action Button

Alternatives to Animal Testing

Fortunately, scientists have developed sophisticated product tests that are faster, cheaper, and far more accurate than blinding and poisoning tests, which were developed in the 1920s. Human cell cultures and tissue studies (in vitro tests) and artificial human “skin” and “eyes” mimic the body’s natural properties, and a number of virtual organs serve as accurate models of human body parts.

What You Can Do

• Please vow never to buy products from companies that use animals. It’s easy—just check out our lists of companies that do and that don’t test on animals. You can even show your commitment by signing our Pledge to Be Cruelty-Free!
  • Help stop cosmetics testing in the United States! Let decisionmakers know that you are against testing on animals and that you would support a ban on cosmetics testing.
  • Remember to support only compassionate charities when you write that end-of-the-year check! Some health charities ask for donations to help people with diseases and disabilities yet spend the money to bankroll horrific experiments on dogsrabbitsratsmiceprimates, hamsters, pigs, ferrets, frogs, fish, guinea pigs, sheep, birds, and other animals. Instead of ravaging animals’ bodies for cures for human diseases, compassionate charities focus their research where the best hope of treatment lies: with humans. They understand that we can improve treatments through up-to-date, non-animal methods, and they fund only non-animal research, leading to real progress in the prevention and treatment of disease.
  • Order PETA’s Cruelty-Free Shopping Guide and learn how to support cruelty-free companies, charities, and colleges. You will also receive a monthly e-newsletter, links to valuable online coupons, special offers from cruelty-free companies, free stickers, and our pocket guides for cruelty-free living. Please allow six to 10 weeks for delivery.
  • Check if a company is cruelty-free! Bunny Free lets you search for companies by name and tells you whether or not they test on animals.

How Companies Can Join PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies Program

Let consumers know that your company does not test its products on animals by having your company’s name added to our cruelty-free list(s). Please contact BeautyWithoutBunnies@peta.org to request the application materials to join our program. Once your company is certified as cruelty-free, you will even be able to license PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo!

Commenting is closed.
  • Amber Angus says:

I think PETA need keep this list updated with more information on each individual company and their exact stance on animal testing, because even though so companies may say “we do not conduct animal testing on our products” does not mean that they do have tests conducted on their behalf or the ingredients used for their products. I’m seeing a lot of confusion here about which products are good and which are bad, when considering each brand you must take into account their “mother brand” the main ones to avoid (regardless of whether the label reads “we don’t believe in animal testing”) are Proctor and Gamble, Unilever and Johnson & Johnson.

• Sharon says:

What are some diaper alternatives to Pampers (which does animal testing)?

• Lisa says:

If you’re looking for cruelty free cosmetics and body care products, Arbonne is on PETA’s list and is vegan-certified. I am an independent consultant because I’m vegan and love the product.

• Roberta Guariglia says:

I am looking for a contact lense brand which do not perform animal testing. Anyone knows any?

• Kate says:

I wonder if Schwarzkopf tests on animals. I don’t use Loreal hair dye any more, or any of Loreal product. But I need some cruelty free dye. Can you help? I do care.

• Nil says:

Loreal owns Garnier,,,Loreal DOES tests on animals…so pls boycott! also P&G is another butcher among huge animal testing companies…if you buy Garnier and The Body Shop(even they dont test on animals,themselves) you will fund Loreal,,pls don’t forget…stop buying Loreal’s subsidiary firm products and especially boycott The Body Shop

• Lisa says:

So what is the final word for Garnier ? as the one poster asked . Isn’t anyone at peta monitoring this board ? There IS a conflict like she says . On the website they say they DO not yet Peta says they do . Which is it ?

Also Fresh Step , what do they DO exactly to animals . What do they mean by “testing ” . If they mean they put the litter in cat’s or rabbits etc EYES then I understand why they are on the list . I would like to know what exactly is it that Fresh Step DOES to animals .

• Joana Lima says:

Hi!I have bought some hair products from Dr Organic, they claim to be not tested in animals. But the shampoo botles haven’t got the recycle symbol, so I am suspicious, does this company is really eco friendly?

• Edyta says:

I have the same problem. I can not find Clarins, Chanel, Lumene – apparently these companies do not test. Is this true? I have not found a Burberry, and the Polish companies Trusardi Dermika, Dr. Eris, Ziaja. How do I know if there are cruelty-free?

• Aggeliki DiNicola says:

I was saddened to see such a small list of cruelty free beauty and fashion companies. It sucks, cuz half the time cosmetics or perfumes don’t have that printed on the packaging. I have perfume here at home and don’t know if they r cruelty free….like Ralph Lauren, Brittany Spears, Juicy, Mariah Carey. Can I find that out through PETA or somewhere else? Help plzz. I always look for a bunny or other logo when I shop. Just cuz u don’t c a bunny or symbol doesn’t mean it’s not cruelty free either.

• Kristin says:

I have a question about Garnier. Their website states that they do not test on animals and have not tested on animals since 1989, yet PETA lists them as a company that does test on animals. Is Garnier listed because their parent company, L’Oreal, tests on animals, but they themselves do not, or do they actually test on animals?

• Nil says:

Oriflame DOES test on animals….I am quite sure now….stopped buying its creams and cosmetics immadiately….(they started to use retinol which is not synthetic, obtained from animal tissues,DNA…derivative of A vitamin, also they sell their products in China that require animal testing intensely instead of proven datas on papers before, besides this; oriflame isn’t on the list of PETA and BUAV )pls..boycott Oriflame products!

• Eira Vanora says:

The list is quite confusing. Some say certain brands don’t do animal testing, others say yes. Some brands don’t do it but their parent companies do. please indicate is the brand is cruelty free but the parent company is not.

• Nil SARAN says:

pls inform me about Oriflame: my e-mail: loslathe@gmail.com
    thanks in advance…

• Nil SARAN says:

Avon DOES test on animals in China so I’ve stopped buying its products and switched to Oriflame…I’ve asked the firm if they do or not animal testing and the reply is definetly No till 1967.(!)even they say that their suppliers don’t test on animals,either,,, But still I am not sure about the explanation and I don’t trust completely,,,also I haven’t seen them on PETA’s list and BUAV’s list…can anybody confirm that they don’t test on animals,? Evrybody says different thing about Oriflame,,,some of them say yes,they do test; some of them say no,they don’t…I don’t know what to do!(I live in Turkey and it’s so so hard to find a cruelty-free productin markets,,Loreal,Avon and Procter&Gamble are everywhere in Turkey:()and besides this, the goverment has banned purchasing cosmetics from foreigner online web sites since 2011 January….so the situation si very complicated for us… pls inform me about Oriflame…

• Crickett says:

I didnt see Origins on the list. they told me they do not test on animals. Do you know if they do or not?

• angrybear says:

Tom’s of maine is owned by colgate, a company that tests on animals.

• Artemis says:

I don’t understand why you have Aveda listed as a cruelty-free company. Aveda might not test on animals, but they are owned by Estee Lauder, who most definitely does test on animals. Buying from Aveda is still putting money in Estee Lauder’s pockets. If you are going to list a company as cruelty-free, I think you should at least make a note in brackets when their parent company tests on animals.

• greggory Tibbits says:

I have seen pictures of what testing has done to animanl’s it is not a very pretty site.If some companies dont test on animals why cant the other’s do the same,

• greggory Tibbits says:

• Carla says:

Good Morning. For over 20 years I have been purchasing Dial products thinking their parent company was friendly. There is no way out there that I have been able to find information logical enough to inform my 4 kids as they get older. This is VERY frustrating. I am def a waste of time when it comes to informing the 100′s of young lives I touch!!! What about the rumor that Drew Barrymore was not going to be a cover girl spokes person w/an unfriendly company?? This needs to be addressed correctly and informatively.

• Heather says:

Here is a post on AVON’s website and says they do not test on animals. Why would they say that and then you have them listed as testing? See: Does Avon test on animals?
    Commitment to Science —
    Respect for Animal Welfare

The safety of our consumers is of primary concern to Avon. We are committed to selling only safe products, using only safe ingredients in our cosmetics products and complying with applicable regulations in every country in which Avon products are sold.
    • On June 2, 1989, Avon announced a permanent end to all animal testing of our products, including testing done in outside laboratories. Avon was the first major cosmetic company in the world to end animal testing.
    • Our approach to safety evaluation utilizes data from in vitro (test tube/cell culture) or clinical tests (on human volunteers) as well as referencing existing animal-testing data.
    • Avon does not conduct animal testing on any of its products or raw ingredients and does not require that suppliers of raw ingredients and finished products produced for Avon conduct animal testing on our behalf.
    • Avon will conduct animal testing only when required by law, at the request of government health or medical authorities, and only after having first attempted to persuade the requesting authority to accept non-animal test data.

Avon has been at the forefront of the development and implementation of alternative test methods since the 1980’s. Our efforts were recognized in 1993 at the World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences: Education, Research and Testing. In 1993, Avon was also presented with a Recognition Award from the Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing. We received this Award for our commitment and dedication to the principles of the 3 R’s (refinement, reduction, replacement) and the use of alternative tests for safety evaluation.

• Heather says:

What AVON products do they test animals on? I would like to know for when i write to them

• Shelly says:

I know that ALL of the Arbonne products are pure, safe and beneficial…. and they DO NOT test on animals, they DO NOT contain animal by-products, and are VEGAN Certified. Not to mention the long list of other ingredients that they have omitted from there fantastic line of skin care, cosmetics, baby products, health and wellness products like protein powders etc… They are a wonderful company!!!!

• margo says:

We should all buy off brand products instead of name brand. Put the name brand products out of business that way.

• Nil says:

@Gina,
    as far as I know; clinique,mac and bobbi brown are all Estee’s….and also Estee Lauder is silent about the production in Chinese market….I think, Estee has stopped animal testing in U.S.A but still going on testing on animals in China…:(….also to my klowledge, avon is still testing on animals in China market…only another brand Mary Kay is trying to stop the procedure in china…

• Nil says:

pls update your do and dont do list more often,,maybe 6 months to 6 months,if it is possible?…..not 2 years to 2 years….I have stopped buying the products of Loreal(maybelline mascaras,hair products etc..)also Max factor and Rimmel London mascaras…In Turkey; Loreal and their other sub-brands,Unilever,Benckiser and the others on the bad list; are on all shelves in all markets….I am so so sorry and hopeless,guys….because my country’s people even don’t know about PETA and your lists:((

• Mafe says:

Hi! I want to know if AUSTRALIAN GOLD and JOHN FRIEDA test or not with animals! thank you!!!! :)

• Lizzie says:

Most company’s branch out into different things such as Johnson & Johnson and Clorox. What these companies do is market their products to different people so you won’t buy Maybelline’s makeup because they test on animals but since their makeup doesn’t you’ll buy theirs. Each of there products are marketed to different people, so with some products animal testing isn’t really what they care about. Hate to say it but a lot of the big name brands don’t care unless it affects their wallets.

• Lizzy says:

Like most comments here I am confused by the list of companies that do and don’t test on animals. I was aghast to know that Peta listed Avon products as one who do. But then, this website says it doesn’t. I have bought all my cosmetics from Avon for a long time. I am a vegetarian and love all creatures great and small. So, which site is correct? This statement from this website; “PETA has compiled a list of companies that have signed a “Statement of Assurance” that they (and their suppliers) don’t and won’t test on animals. You’ll find major brands like Revlon, MAC, Avon, and Estee Lauder on the list, as well as natural favorites such as Kiss My Face and Aubrey Organics. (Download the guide at CaringConsumer.com.) Brand names mentioned in the pages of Alternative Medicine also boast cruelty-free practices.” (from http://www.care2.com/greenliving/cruel-beauty-which-companies-test-on-animals.html) OR Peta’s list????????? It is very very very important for me. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• amy says:

I’m confused… the site indicates that Tom’s of Maine, Burt Bees – now owned by Clorox do NOT test on animals but SOS, GLAD (under Clorox) does.. . So to be accurate the PDF version to of “companies do test on animals” should be by “brand/marketing name of companies” or by-product instead of company. I do not understand how the same “company” could test on animals under one brand and not on the other.. I am sure information are shared across these brands. please let me know. thank you.

• Lucy says:

And Nivea? They state on their website, that they do not test: http://www.nivea.co.uk/about-us/beiersdorf/animal-testing-uk

• Aquilah R says:

I’ve recently begun switching to brands that don’t test on animals. However, what I’ve been struggling with is trying to find products from subsidiaries of parent companies who do test.

For example, Burt’s Bees is owned by Clorox. Therefore, even though Burt’s Bees doesn’t test on animals, isn’t it still funding Clorox to some extent to purchase from them? Same as for Tresemme, which is made by Alberto-Culver, a company owned by Unilever now. Tresemme products state they’re not tested on animals and Alberto-Culver has supposedly been against and banned animal testing at least since 2002…

Also, we often need drain declogger (old house with old plumbing), and both Draino and Liquid Plumbr are owned by parent companies who test. Unless I figure out something as strong or find something cruelty-free, I have a feeling I’m stuck.

Any insight as to your opinions, beliefs, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks :)

• heather d. says:

I’m confused. Does Coty test on animals? I’ve read that they dont and that they do. please let me know something.

• Gisele says:

Does M.A.C Cosmetics test on animals? Thank you

• Saffron says:

Lenka, COTY do test on animals. They’re under PETA’s ‘Companies that test’ list.

• irishviper says:

Clinique has recently merged with Estee Lauder. I have a friend who works for clinique & told me about it last week.

• Olga says:

Нi, what about YLLOZURE, KRACIE(KANEBO), KENZO, CLINIQUE, YVES ROCHER. Are they cruelty-free?

• Lenka says:

Hi, and what about COTY? And how can we be sure about 100% right informations from companies being on Don´t test list. It should exist some rule! I´m so unhappy, how many big brands test their product on animals, its 2012!!

Please, what about COTY?

Thanks.

• Carly Pressman says:

Yesterday I bought a product that was of Dr. Bronner’s and it said on the top: Not Animal Tested, and had a rabbit. My mom uses Yes To Carrots and more thing that don’t test on animals, EXCEPT for GlaxoSmithKline, which is animal tested, but is almost finished (the product.).

• 4mula1 says:

for charities, humaneseal.org, also happycow.net (search) 4mula1.

• Ashley-P says:

Bella: Before signing with Cover Girl, Ellen was diligent in making sure that Cover Girl no longer tests on animals. She made it crystal clear that the company’s “no testing” policy was essential in order for her to agree to be its spokesperson. We love her for that! It is because of principled people like Ellen that we will see an end to animal testing for cosmetics.

Cover Girl’s parent company, Procter & Gamble (P&G), announced in 1999 that it had revised its animal-testing policy. P&G stated that it will end the use of animal tests for all its current nonfood, nondrug products. This indicates that P&G realizes the importance of the animal-testing issue.

However, P&G has not permanently halted all nonrequired animal experiments. According to P&G, it will not perform experiments on many existing products, but it has not agreed to stop testing new ingredients and products on animals. In addition, P&G subsidiary Iams continues to perform unnecessary tests on animals (for information, please visit http://www.IamsCruelty.com).

Please politely contact P&G’s chair, and encourage him to make a permanent commitment to never again test any product or ingredient on animals.

• Bella Angelina says:

Are Covergirl products are tested on animals? Ellen DeGeneris is a big advocate for animal rights and is also the spokesperson. I can’t imagine that she will continue to represent a company that performs animal testing. We’re having trouble finding out. Thanx

• Pamela says:

When you can’t figure out if your product is on the “DOES” or “DOESN’T” list, carefully examine the bottle or box. For instance, “Dove” is not on the list, but when you turn the bottle over, you’ll see a little label that it is made by Unilever, and Unilever is on the “DOES” list. :( No more of that garbage for me! I hope that’s helpful!

• alaina says:

St Ives and Lush are cruelty free

• Liz Grafe says:

Are Avene beauty products cruelty-free?

• ElphabaNYC says:

I’ve slowly but surely switching to all cruelty-free products! I was wondering if the products on the DO NOT test list can have ingredients that are tested on animals?

• Anouchka says:

Yes! Jackie is right about there being no responses here. Where might we look for those things? I’ve noticed that a number of companies that used to be on the little wallet-sized pamphlet are no longer on this list. :/ Uh oh! I’m interested in knowing about so many of the brands people are mentioning! (Kao/John Frieda, Up & Up, The Body Shop, Moroccan Oil, Joico, Eucerin/Beiersdorf, Nivea, St. Ives, etc.)

• Christine Duts says:

Hi,

I would like to know if Sheló Nabel, a company that sells beauty products, tests on animals. I cannot find them on the DO TEST list, and I can´t find them either on the DON´T TEST list.
    Thanks