Beauty Without Bunnies 101

Welcome, shoppers! By purchasing only cruelty-free products, you can help save rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, rats, and other animals from excruciating tests and a lifetime of suffering. But how do you know which companies and products are cruelty-free? PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies program is the ultimate resource for conscientious shoppers, making the quest for cruelty-free products as easy as (vegan) pie. With our searchable online database, you can search by company name or product type to learn which products are cruelty-free.

And when you’re out shopping, look for PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo—products proudly displaying this logo are cruelty-free, meaning that they were produced without testing on animals. Here are just a few companies that have licensed PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo:

Animal Testing

Hundreds of thousands of animals are poisoned, blinded, and killed every year in archaic product tests for cosmetics, personal-care products, household cleaning products, and even fruit juices. Although more than 1,300 companies have banned all animal tests, some corporations still force substances into animals’ stomachs and drip chemicals into rabbits’ eyes. These tests are not required by law, and they often produce inaccurate or misleading results—even if a product has blinded an animal, it can still be marketed to you.

Appalled that animal testing for cosmetics is happening right now and that hundreds of thousands of animals are suffering for products such as lipstick and shampoo? Take action today and urge decisionmakers to ban cosmetics testing on animals in the United States!

Rabbit Action Button

Alternatives to Animal Testing

Fortunately, scientists have developed sophisticated product tests that are faster, cheaper, and far more accurate than blinding and poisoning tests, which were developed in the 1920s. Human cell cultures and tissue studies (in vitro tests) and artificial human “skin” and “eyes” mimic the body’s natural properties, and a number of virtual organs serve as accurate models of human body parts.

What You Can Do

• Please vow never to buy products from companies that use animals. It’s easy—just check out our lists of companies that do and that don’t test on animals. You can even show your commitment by signing our Pledge to Be Cruelty-Free!
  • Help stop cosmetics testing in the United States! Let decisionmakers know that you are against testing on animals and that you would support a ban on cosmetics testing.
  • Remember to support only compassionate charities when you write that end-of-the-year check! Some health charities ask for donations to help people with diseases and disabilities yet spend the money to bankroll horrific experiments on dogsrabbitsratsmiceprimates, hamsters, pigs, ferrets, frogs, fish, guinea pigs, sheep, birds, and other animals. Instead of ravaging animals’ bodies for cures for human diseases, compassionate charities focus their research where the best hope of treatment lies: with humans. They understand that we can improve treatments through up-to-date, non-animal methods, and they fund only non-animal research, leading to real progress in the prevention and treatment of disease.
  • Order PETA’s Cruelty-Free Shopping Guide and learn how to support cruelty-free companies, charities, and colleges. You will also receive a monthly e-newsletter, links to valuable online coupons, special offers from cruelty-free companies, free stickers, and our pocket guides for cruelty-free living. Please allow six to 10 weeks for delivery.

How Companies Can Join PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies Program

Let consumers know that your company does not test its products on animals by having your company’s name added to our cruelty-free list(s). Please contact BeautyWithoutBunnies@peta.org to request the application materials to join our program. Once your company is certified as cruelty-free, you will even be able to license PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo!

Commenting is closed.
  • Jackie says:

There are no responses to the comments and questions above …two people asked about the Body Shop is now owned by L’Oreal…do they now test on animals….
    Also do the following companies test on animals.?……
    Dermasil (Rise international group)
    Up and Up products ( Target’s brand)
    Biore (Kao Brands)
    Beiersdorf Inc. (Eucerin products)
    The Sun Products Corp. (Wisk…Huish Co.)
    Essence of Beauty (Advanced Healthcare Dist….CVS brand

Thank you!
    Jackie Santoro.

• Kayla says:

Hi, I was wondering if Nivea and St. Ives tested on animals..aswell as I also heard that the body shop was bought out…does this mean that they now test on animals but still advertise that they dont?

• Vivian says:

Hi
    i read that recently the body shop was bought over by loreal which is a company which conducts animal testing. So may i know if it is safe to buy the body shop’s products?

• Kat says:

I just wanted to know if revlon do not test on animals ive seen them in the do not test list but then i find them in other places in the do test list?

• Catarina Lobo says:

Eu acho que os animais não são para ser usados. Eles merecem uma vida feliz. Uma possibilidade de pastar, correr, grunhir, rugir sem terem os dias contados numa qualquer fábrica.
    A indústria cresceu mas a mente do Homem não… E por isso, o meu pedido de Ano Novo é que o Homem repense e chegue à conclusão de que apesar de podermos traduzir o nosso pensamento em palavras, não quer dizer que os outros animais não tenham voz e por tal, eles não são um luxo, um instrumento. SÃO NOSSOS AMIGOS.

Cumprimentos
    Catarina Fernandes

• Lorna says:

Flicking through cruelty free shampoos on this website and came across pureology (loreal) aren’t loreal really bad with animal testing?! I really need a gd shampoo and conditioner for my hair and am really struggling please help!

• Jasmin says:

Hi guys,

I found this link of companies that DO test products on animals for all of you interested. http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdotest.pdf

• Tudo da Lei says:

is there a list available with the “forbidden” brands?
    I’d love to post it on my blog to alert as many people as possible
    Thanks

• Dulce says:

Hola,solo quiero saber si Loreal testa en animales, así como la marca Jhon Frieda,Garnier.Muchas gracias.

• Mali says:

Hi i’d like to know if Neutrogena, LUSH, and clinique are crueltyfree

• sandra prado says:

I’d like to know if Jafra Cosmetics tests it’s products on animals; I sent them an e-mail but I had no response so I supose they do, but I need to be certain.

• H88 says:

I’d like to know if Ren test on animals and if NARS do. I read on here that shiseido do and they own NARS, but I have been told that Franncois Nars is a vegan and his products are not tested on animals. Also Laura Mercier.

• ivana says:

i can’t find if john frieda is testing products on animals…i found them on a lot of do and don’t lists. thank u :)

• Eve K says:

Chanel, Christian Dior, Elizabeth Arden are not in the Do Test or Don’t test list.
    Why are they not on the list?
    Are these product tested on animal?
    If the big companies like this are not listed on PETA site, am I to assume they are cruelty free companies?

• shay says:

@Emily DONT BREED DOGS EVER! .every puppy that is born, a dog is put down because its left sitting lonely in a animal shelter where people are buying your and other breeders dogs instead of giving the lonely dog in the shelter a loving home! You are basically killing dogs if you breed them :( shame.

• Heidi says:

What’s the status of L’Oreal and animal testing? Is Garnier a product of L’Oreal?

• Ashley-P says:

You can read more about Mars animal testing policies here: http://www.marscandykills.com/

• Katie says:

I am trying to find out more about the company EOS (Evolution of smooth). They claim to be cruelty free and never test with 3rd parties but I cannot find them on your website as safe to use. Are they cruelty free or not?

• Pauldeep says:

I would like to know if the candy company mars tests on animals, if so how……. Did u guys do any investigations or analysis?

• Milenija says:

I would like to know if Avene, Uriage, Deborah Milano, Givenchy, Chanel, Bourjous, Christian Dior and Kanebo test on animals?

• jaime dinsmore says:

yes i’m an love all kinds of animals and i think the giceo commerials where the dad is eating the daughters pet fish and the hampsters saying row are not right and would like to be pulled for the air its so wrong

• Ela3411 says:

Emily, you bought from a pet store and now you want to breed the dog??? Shame on you!!! Get her neutered!!

• regan says:

does cover girl test on animals?

• Gina says:

I would like to know if Chanel tests on animals and also, I am confused when it comes to Estee Lauder. It used to be on the “Don’t test” list, but is now on the “Do test” list. Don’t feel like using that brand anymore. However, I looked up Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Coach and others and they all stand on “Dont test” list, but has Estee Lauder in parentesis on ths side. Is Estee Lauder their parent company? To ALL of those? But they still don’t test? I am really confused, since I want to change from Estee Lauder to a cruelty free company, i would love to know.

• crystal says:

i was wondering if elizabeth arden tests on animals they are not on the do or don’t list and im getting conflicking reports about them cause i wanted to get the new taylor swift perfume but i wont to know if it’s cruelty free first before i buy

• Diana says:

What about Avon (They say they do not test)and Chanel and also Avene? Are they cruelty free?

• AC says:

I would like to find a company that produces vegan product labels for my product.

• Hanna says:

Hello! I would also like to know if Henkel does animal experiments?

• Angel Owens says:

Hi. I need to know if all food coloring is tested on animals or if it’s just FD&C coloring?

• christopher drummond says:

Sherrie…I totally agree with you….many companies say they have “cruelty free cosmetics” yet all of their cosmetic brushes have animal hair.
    Furthermore, the hair is from China, which has no animal rights laws. This means they can get the hair any way they want. It’s pretty gruesome.

If you care about animals, don’t just stop at cosmetics. Makeup brushes are someting to look into. Make sure your cosmetic brushes are vegan approved and cruelty free. Most are NOT!!!

I have a cruelty free makeup line with vegan approved brushes that are softer and better than animal hair brushes. check it out!!! http://www.christopherdrummond.com

thanks

• nagina says:

cant trust on the companies itself writing that it s not tested on animal… So i want to keep a record from my own please help me out for knowing about cruelty free companies and products

• Cherie says:

Please tell me if Wella professional hair color is cruety free

• Kristina says:

Is kiko cosmetics using animal ingredients?
    On their site its written they dont test on animals their products. But I would like to know if they use animal ingredients in their products.

• Emily says:

I would like to know if Petland in Springfield, MO supports puppy mills by purchasing their dogs from them. I have an 8 month old English Mastiff puppy that I purchased from Petland for $2,000. Her left front leg was bowed as a puppy and she still hasn’t grown out of it, if it’s genetic, I don’t feel it’s right to breed her like I had planned, I suggested Petland do an X-ray on her leg and was told I would receive a call back 5 different times and still nothing. When we bought her, they gave us a vet exam paper from when she first arrived there and it said that there was nothing wrong with her legs, but it was very obvious. I NEED HELP, how do I go about this?

• Fran Broder says:

I just launched a line of the most GORGEOUS cruelty-free faux fur accessories you’ve ever seen!
    My faux fur is from Tissavel in northern France, an eco-friendly company that cares about the planet. Every piece is handmade in the USA! Make a thoughtful choice and check it out: fauxfurever.com

• nichola says:

please advise if Wella shampoo is tested on animals…
    xx

• Brenda Joens says:

Hi, I am a big fan of CANIDAE Dog Food. It’s the only grain free food my dog can tolerate with his allergies, and they both love it and our Vet finds the product to be worthy of the cost. I received another listing of animal testing/and non animal testing, however, I am not seeing CANIDAE as a NON ANIMAL Testing product. Can you please advise. I am making a big consciences switch over on products used within my home to use Non Animal Tested Products.

• Ashley-P says:

Sherrie: inclusion in PETA’s Caring Consumer Program simply means that a company is cruelty-free (do not test on animals), not that their products are vegan.

• Katerina says:

I would like to know if Schwarzkopf & Henkel tests on animals. Because I haven’t found it in your lists. I use the series which are called Gliss Kur (shampoo & balsam). As I understand it is a German company. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Sherrie says:

Bare Escentuals is listed under “does not test”. That’s great except most of their make-up brushes are made with animal hair. They disclose this on their website. With this in mind it’s my opinion they are not a cruelty free company.

• donna says:

on search just key in cosmestics that use animal testing or whatever product
    I did use Lancome for years until I found out they do ..a lot of companys will say “no animal testing on our products” BUT the ingredients have been tested on animals….amd clinique does use animal testing

• donna says:

on search just key in cosmestics that use animal testing or whatever product

• ivyanarinavi says:

are bbw products 100% vegetarian

• Ashley-P says:

Katia: We altered our position on supporting cruelty-free companies that are bought out by parent companies that do not have an animal-friendly policy several years ago; if the subsidiary company assures PETA, in writing, that it will continue to adhere to a cruelty-free policy, they remain on our list. We decided this because we believe that this growing industry trend will make finding cruelty-free products in mainstream stores much easier for consumers; people that may have never even considering buying cruelty-free products in the past will now have easy access to them. We also hope that the compassion will flow upward; that cruelty-free companies will have an impact on the policies of the parent company.

• Katia says:

I see a contradiction in your do test/don’t test lists. Tom’s of Maine is listed under “don’t test”, with the parent company Colgate-Palmolive, which is listed under “do test”. According to your website, “Many companies that do test on animals have some cruelty-free products, but we must boycott all the products of such companies in order to pressure them into stopping all animal tests.” Why is Colgate-Palmolive excluded from this?

• NKruse says:

I bought 3 products that I was told did not use animal testing, but there is no indication on their packaging. Can someone tell me if iS CLINICAL and SkinCeuticals are cruelty free skincare companies? Thanks a lot.

• Hollymason says:

Is there a list somewhere of companies that dont test? Does covergirl test?

• toni says:

@Richard; Beauty Without Cruelty has been working for animals rights in South Africa for over 35 years; i would like to know why we need to have a USA group in SA, when SA organisations are struggling to get funding from the public to allow them to continue their work? All these things require funding to continue; having support is great, but support also means donations…

• Alexandra says:

i d like to know which companies from luxe or pharmacie cosmetique continuent to test on animals ?

• Barbara says:

I carry a list of companies that test on animals and check it esp. when shopping for cosmetics and personal care items. The bad thing is that even if they list THEY don’t test, they sometimes have gotten products from companies that will test!