Beauty Without Bunnies 101

Welcome, shoppers! By purchasing only cruelty-free products, you can help save rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, rats, and other animals from excruciating tests and a lifetime of suffering. But how do you know which companies and products are cruelty-free? PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies program is the ultimate resource for conscientious shoppers, making the quest for cruelty-free products as easy as (vegan) pie. With our searchable online database, you can search by company name or product type to learn which products are cruelty-free.

And when you’re out shopping, look for PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo—products proudly displaying this logo are cruelty-free, meaning that they were produced without testing on animals. Here are just a few companies that have licensed PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo:

Animal Testing

Hundreds of thousands of animals are poisoned, blinded, and killed every year in archaic product tests for cosmetics, personal-care products, household cleaning products, and even fruit juices. Although more than 1,300 companies have banned all animal tests, some corporations still force substances into animals’ stomachs and drip chemicals into rabbits’ eyes. These tests are not required by law, and they often produce inaccurate or misleading results—even if a product has blinded an animal, it can still be marketed to you.

Appalled that animal testing for cosmetics is happening right now and that hundreds of thousands of animals are suffering for products such as lipstick and shampoo? Take action today and urge decisionmakers to ban cosmetics testing on animals in the United States!

Rabbit Action Button

Alternatives to Animal Testing

Fortunately, scientists have developed sophisticated product tests that are faster, cheaper, and far more accurate than blinding and poisoning tests, which were developed in the 1920s. Human cell cultures and tissue studies (in vitro tests) and artificial human “skin” and “eyes” mimic the body’s natural properties, and a number of virtual organs serve as accurate models of human body parts.

What You Can Do

• Please vow never to buy products from companies that use animals. It’s easy—just check out our lists of companies that do and that don’t test on animals. You can even show your commitment by signing our Pledge to Be Cruelty-Free!
  • Help stop cosmetics testing in the United States! Let decisionmakers know that you are against testing on animals and that you would support a ban on cosmetics testing.
  • Remember to support only compassionate charities when you write that end-of-the-year check! Some health charities ask for donations to help people with diseases and disabilities yet spend the money to bankroll horrific experiments on dogsrabbitsratsmiceprimates, hamsters, pigs, ferrets, frogs, fish, guinea pigs, sheep, birds, and other animals. Instead of ravaging animals’ bodies for cures for human diseases, compassionate charities focus their research where the best hope of treatment lies: with humans. They understand that we can improve treatments through up-to-date, non-animal methods, and they fund only non-animal research, leading to real progress in the prevention and treatment of disease.
  • Order PETA’s Cruelty-Free Shopping Guide and learn how to support cruelty-free companies, charities, and colleges. You will also receive a monthly e-newsletter, links to valuable online coupons, special offers from cruelty-free companies, free stickers, and our pocket guides for cruelty-free living. Please allow six to 10 weeks for delivery.
  • Check if a company is cruelty-free! Bunny Free lets you search for companies by name and tells you whether or not they test on animals.

How Companies Can Join PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies Program

Let consumers know that your company does not test its products on animals by having your company’s name added to our cruelty-free list(s). Please contact BeautyWithoutBunnies@peta.org to request the application materials to join our program. Once your company is certified as cruelty-free, you will even be able to license PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo!

Commenting is closed.
  • Barbara Maria Schriver says:

If their animal testing continues we can put those companies ‘Out Of Business’-period. Don’t buy their products – they WILL conform to ‘People’ standards or go broke! We, the consumers are the ones to tell them what we will or won’t accept. DO IT NOW!! THAT IS THE BEST PROTEST!!

• caitlinnsunshine says:

Aveda products are all natural and organic! Animal cruelty free!!

• TyJ says:

Hello!
    I can’ t find any information about Dior. Does Dior test they cosmetics on animals??

• Ashley-P says:

Akshara – inclusion in PETA’s Caring Consumer Program simply means that a company is cruelty-free (do not test on animals), not that their products are vegan.

• Akshara says:

To Avon:

Which of your products are vegan? Which products donot contain any of animal ingredients)?

From Avon:
    I have received your email regarding a number of concerns. I’m happy to assist you with each one of them. To ensure that all your concerns are covered, I have listed them below:

– Request for vegan products
    – Request for products that do not contain animal ingredients

It could be upsetting to know that presently we do not have vegan products available.

Also, it could be disappointing to know that we do not have a list of products that do not contain animal by-products:

Additionally, to view ingredient lists online, please follow these directions after accessing http://www.Avon.com :

– Enter the name of the product in the search field in the upper right hand corner
    – Select the correct product
    – Click on ‘Ingredients’

As we’re sure you know, all Avon’s ingredients meet the highest quality standards. By combining existing scientific studies with our own rigorous tests, we can assure you of their purity and safety.

I hope I’ve helped you. Please keep an eye on our website. We’re always trying to improve it for you.

• GOD'sdogs says:

Is there anyway to contact these celebrities directly? I have to see the money thrown to these companies who test on our animals. I would love to find a way to reverse the money so I could open a refuge and fund organizations like Peta to keep up the great work. Please tell me how to reach these celebrities

• Katie says:

Buffytigr1 – Clinique supposedly doesn’t(I personally wouldn’t trust that company). I also have insanely sensitive skin and I shop at the Whole Foods Market for my make up, lotions, hair dye etc. All the products sold at the Whole Foods Market do not animal test. Their reasonably priced to.

• Rachel K says:

@ Cherrybom, I too was wondering the same thing @ one point. I figured out that: “the finished product not animal tested” is meaning that basically all products made up until the last “finished” product are animal tested….so they can say “the finished product” b/c the last product they end up with was not tested, the others up until then are. Def. read the labels some products are not, but if they don’t say it They Are.

• savannah says:

Um, can somebody help me find the list of people that DO test on animals? Or tell me if herbal essences is tested on animals, and a good replacement that does NOT test animals for their product if herbal essences does, thanks!

• Joanna says:

Hi, I was wondering about Now Foods cosmetics. They claim they do not test on animals, but I can’t find them on PETA list. Do you konw someting about them?

• Leanne says:

Hi,

Do you know if the cleaning product BioLife has never tested on animals?

• Cari says:

I am tired of celebrities promoting big cosmetic companies. Revlon, L’oreal, Cover Girl, Hally Berry, Queen Latifa, Ellen, Drew Barrymore. I could’nt sleep at night if I accept a pay cheque from any of these companies, for endorsing products that are tested on animals !

• Cari says:

The Body Shop’s parent company is now L’oreal, which is in no way cruelty free! I will never spend another dollar at a Body shop as long as they are owned by a company that continues to test its products on animals! Way to go Body Shop , Hypocrit’s !

• sunitha says:

I am a big fan of The Body Shop, after reading about its founder and how she was against animal testing. The Body Shop also has done a lot for local communities by promoting their locally grown plant based beauty products. I’ve always believed her products are
    not tested on animals. However I don’t find The Body Shop on PETA’s list for cruelty free products. Any answers?

• pavitra says:

Nivea is not vegan

• Kari says:

Hi. Could you please tell me why Superdrug and Marks and Spencers beauty products have the BUAV approved sign on all their products but don’t make it onto your list? Is there some other reason are they advocating cruelty in another way? Thanks.

• akshara says:

Hi.
    Is Nivea vegan?
    I have been sending them mails but they haven’t responded to any single one.

• Anna Komarova says:

Dear PETA, could you tell me whether Amway http://www.amway.com/ is a cruelty-free company? I’m deciding now if to sell their products or not to do it in Russia. So this question is very important for me. Thank you.

• maria p says:

PLEASE, I am desperately trying to find out whether NIVEA (Beiersdorf) products are completely free of animal cruelty..?! They state on their official site that they are free of any animal testing,but i need reassurance..from peta preferably. Why as such a big and international brand have they not been approached by peta or have they refused to sighn? and if so, why are they not on the “do test” list..? Ive been doing research for months but im only getting conflicting information on the web with this regard.. and there are so many of us that want to know about nivea and its stance on animal testing.. please help!

• Ashley-P says:

PETA has a written communication from The Body Shop assuring us that the company’s no-animal-tests policy will not change and that all its products will remain cruelty-free. Please check this out for more information: http://bit.ly/aebbPx

• Cherryb0m says:

I was wondering about Bath and Body Works products. I read on the back “finished product not tested on animals” So…. what exactly does that mean? some of the ingrediants used in the product are tested on animals before it’s all mixed together ?? how does that qualify as cruelty free??

• Roopa says:

Hi Grace –
    In my opinion, if there are no such signs on the consumer product indicative of animal free testing, there are only 2 reasons,

One they blatantly test on animals
    OR
    Two, they secretly test thru third parties!

You tell me…. why would a company that does not test on animals would not be proud/ self righteous to claim/say so on their product!??

That is a better marketing strategy don’t you think? They dont do it because they know that not many care. Many people will buy their products blindly! that is why!

If you ask a customer care rep, all she/ he does is read an answer out of a script! You be the judge!

• samantha hobbs says:

Do you have a handy purse size list of your “animal ingredients list” I think that would be very helpful for whilst shopping.

• grace says:

hi i recently bought a hair product called living proof and im not sure if they test on animals, i did some research and ask the company if they did, they said no but i want to make sure… do u guys know if they do?

• Elvira says:

Hi! Well i have a problem, i live in Mexixo and here most of the producta that are selled in markets are made in Unilever or other companies that do test on animals, it is very difficult to find like de 97% or more of the products that are cruelty free.

• Sasha says:

Hi!
    I noticed that many of the companies PETA lists as being cruelty-free are not listed on leapingbunny’s cruelty-free list. I understand that the Leapingbunny list refers only to companies that have signed their pledge, but does PETA’s list take into account the fact that companies can lie and say they don’t test when in actuality they pay another company to do it for them? Also, why don’t PETA and leapngbunny join forces? That would make life so much easier. I love Bobbi Brown and MAC cosmetics, but was given a vague and standard email response when I tried to contact them directly. Do you know for sure that these companies do not test on animals?
    Thanks so much!!!

• Marielle says:

Sharon RE covergirl: Cover Girl is owned by the distributors Proctor and Gamble, one of the biggest animal-testers out there. By supporting that company a person is supporting animal testing, regardless of whether or not that specific products ingredients have been tested. It is in one’s best interest to boycott all companies that test on animals, in my opinion. look at the back of the product and it should say who it’s distrubuted by. Johnson&Johnson, Proctor&Gamble (P&G) and Unilever are some of the biggest badguys out there.

• Richard K says:

Why is Peta not involved in South Africa?
    Are Clarins definitely involved in buying animal tested products?

• Richard K says:

Why is Peta not involved in South Africa?
    Are Clarins definitely involved in buying animal tested products?

• Gro says:

Hi =) I cant find this comany on either the yes or no list, could PETA take a look on this company andor do anyone know anything about it??

I’ve used their hair chalk, and the box says “not testet on animals” but, you never know and I need a new box of chalk, but don’t want a animal tested product! Please help:) THANKS:)

• Buffytigr1 says:

I was wondering about clinique. I have sensitive skin so it is very difficult for me to use “over the counter” foundations and other makeup. I can not find anything on the net about whether or not they test on animals.

• PETA says:

Re: Tamar. To find more information on companies that use bone-char filters, please look here: [http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Are-animal-ingredients-included-in-white-sugar.aspx]. Regards, The PETA Staff

• Tamar says:

I just read “Eating Animals”, and I’m looking into a vegan diet for me and my family, but I had a question that maybe someone knows the answer to. On the section about sugar, they mention “bone char” being used to refine the sugar. But being Jewish, I have always looked for the kosher parve symbol which means the product is not made of milk or meat. People who keep kosher use the sugar to make desserts that they would serve with dairy meals, but if it’s made with bone char, that would mean we were breaking dietary laws (meat and milk together). Does anyone know anything more about this? Thanks.

• Anonymous says:

On the Alberto Culver website (They manufacture Nexxus,Tressemme, Noxema and more) it says they do not use animal testing or buy ingredients that have been tested on animals. They are not on your cruelty free list however. Why is that?

• Sharon says:

I have just searched PETA’s lists of cosmetic companies that do and do not conduct animal testing, and cannot see Cover Girl Cosmetics mentioned on either list. Does PETA know if this is a cruelty-free company?

• Tanya says:

I am also curious about Guthy-Renker.

• Kristin says:

Does Guthy- Renker do animal testing? I called their customer service line and they said they don’t BUT I demanded proof and they could give me none… I was interested in a hair care product of theirs but if they test on animals, it’s out of the question! Thanks!

• Ashley-P says:

• sfa1982 says:

Not really sure where to ask this…. but I recently found out that The Body shop (TBS) was owned by Loreal… So I’m just wondering if this has any effect on TBS’s products? are they still cruelty free? and this may have an obvious answer, but I figure better to be safe then sorry, so… If I buy TBS products, am I supporting Loreal?

thanks for any help!

• leahrw says:

Hi can anyone suggest anywhere I could get a pair of non-leather hiking boots? (I’m in Australia)

• Mish Mash says:

Hi fellow animal lovers,

Just thought you might like to know about the new 100% vegan retractable kabuki brush which my company has launched.

You can find information at http://www.mishmashmakeup.com/ and

Thanks for looking! :)

Michelle – Mish Mash Makeup

• Cecelia says:

Was there ever an answer for Lakme testing on animals.. I can’t find anything about Teknia colorstay shampoo and conditioner they used to say they didn’t and now they are apart of Lakme. Does anyone know? thanks

• Sara says:

I received a response from both Coty and Tetley Tea. Both claim they DO NOT do animal testing. This is the email Coty sent me:

Thank you for your recent inquiry on Coty products regarding the use of animals in product safety testing.

Coty Inc. is a leader in the global beauty industry and one of the world’s largest fragrance companies. We have developed a portfolio of notable brands and offer innovative products of outstanding quality for which we are committed to maintaining the highest possible standards of consumer safety.

Coty voluntarily ceased testing finished cosmetic products on animals in 1991, long before the official European ban on such testing in 2004. Coty has been actively involved for many years in the research and development of alternatives to animal testing.

Before we place a product on the market, we assess it thoroughly to ensure that it is safe for human use and for the environment and that it is compliant with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. We do not perform, nor do we ever commission any third parties on our behalf to perform, animal testing on our products or ingredients. Our safety assessment of cosmetic ingredients is based on the use of recognized alternatives to animal testing, the use of existing safety data and, increasingly, the sharing of such data from and with other industries.

We continue to strive for the development and acceptance of additional reliable non-animal testing methods and will continue to vigorously support the research, implementation and improvement of alternatives to animal testing, especially for those more complex tests for which no alternative methods have been established. For this purpose we actively participate in research programs in Europe and the USA by dedicating funding, time, resources and scientific expertise. The common goal of all these efforts is to completely eliminate animal testing.

Tetley Tea just simply stated that they DO NOT do any animal testing! Hope this helps!

• Andresa says:

Hi, I am Brazilian and I wonder if the perfume Lolita Lempicka and Van Cleef & Arpels Wella dyes and are tested on animals. I did not get any information on this site for the protection of animals here in Brazil.
    Thanks in advance.

Andresa Alves

• Sara says:

Since I didn’t see Tetley Tea on either list, I emailed them and asked if they were cruelty-free. I also stated that if they were, they should think about signing the PETA Cruelty-Free statement of assurance. Waiting for a reply!

• Sara says:

Since I didn’t see Tetley tea on the list, I emailed them and asked if they were cruelty-free. I also stated that if they were, they should think about signing the PETA cruelty-free statement of assurance. Waiting for a reply!

• Nicole says:

I need help: Smith supermarkets in Henderson , Nevada, and Las Vegas slowly stop selling “cagefree” eggs. I spoke to a manager and she told me, yes, Smith’s found out, that consumers prefer the cheaper eggs that come from these horrible Cage farms. Please help me write letters to Smith’s Supermarket – I think, they should educate people NOT to buy anything BUT cagefree. Instead they take a big step backwards. Thanks to everyone, who supports me writng complaints.

• chelsie says:

iv always loved animals but now that im older im getting even more into them so im try to stop eating meat and seeing what stuff i use do animal testing but the more i look i see there soooo much that people do wrong to animals and i wanna find the best stuff that dont test in animals like shampoo,body wash all that stuff just when i think i no a place dont test i see it dose help! please…

• Nadia Rodrigues says:

Hi everyone, I really need to know if Tommy Hilfiger testes their products on animals and if their products, for instance, like watches are made of animal’s skin.

• gail says:

I use CANIDAE dog food and did not see it listed on your list of companies that do not test on animals. I’d like to know if they test or don’t test.