Beauty Without Bunnies 101

Welcome, shoppers! By purchasing only cruelty-free products, you can help save rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, rats, and other animals from excruciating tests and a lifetime of suffering. But how do you know which companies and products are cruelty-free? PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies program is the ultimate resource for conscientious shoppers, making the quest for cruelty-free products as easy as (vegan) pie. With our searchable online database, you can search by company name or product type to learn which products are cruelty-free.

And when you’re out shopping, look for PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo—products proudly displaying this logo are cruelty-free, meaning that they were produced without testing on animals. Here are just a few companies that have licensed PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo:

Animal Testing

Hundreds of thousands of animals are poisoned, blinded, and killed every year in archaic product tests for cosmetics, personal-care products, household cleaning products, and even fruit juices. Although more than 1,300 companies have banned all animal tests, some corporations still force substances into animals’ stomachs and drip chemicals into rabbits’ eyes. These tests are not required by law, and they often produce inaccurate or misleading results—even if a product has blinded an animal, it can still be marketed to you.

Appalled that animal testing for cosmetics is happening right now and that hundreds of thousands of animals are suffering for products such as lipstick and shampoo? Take action today and urge decisionmakers to ban cosmetics testing on animals in the United States!

Rabbit Action Button

Alternatives to Animal Testing

Fortunately, scientists have developed sophisticated product tests that are faster, cheaper, and far more accurate than blinding and poisoning tests, which were developed in the 1920s. Human cell cultures and tissue studies (in vitro tests) and artificial human “skin” and “eyes” mimic the body’s natural properties, and a number of virtual organs serve as accurate models of human body parts.

What You Can Do

• Please vow never to buy products from companies that use animals. It’s easy—just check out our lists of companies that do and that don’t test on animals. You can even show your commitment by signing our Pledge to Be Cruelty-Free!
  • Help stop cosmetics testing in the United States! Let decisionmakers know that you are against testing on animals and that you would support a ban on cosmetics testing.
  • Remember to support only compassionate charities when you write that end-of-the-year check! Some health charities ask for donations to help people with diseases and disabilities yet spend the money to bankroll horrific experiments on dogsrabbitsratsmiceprimates, hamsters, pigs, ferrets, frogs, fish, guinea pigs, sheep, birds, and other animals. Instead of ravaging animals’ bodies for cures for human diseases, compassionate charities focus their research where the best hope of treatment lies: with humans. They understand that we can improve treatments through up-to-date, non-animal methods, and they fund only non-animal research, leading to real progress in the prevention and treatment of disease.
  • Order PETA’s Cruelty-Free Shopping Guide and learn how to support cruelty-free companies, charities, and colleges. You will also receive a monthly e-newsletter, links to valuable online coupons, special offers from cruelty-free companies, free stickers, and our pocket guides for cruelty-free living. Please allow six to 10 weeks for delivery.
  • Check if a company is cruelty-free! Bunny Free lets you search for companies by name and tells you whether or not they test on animals.

How Companies Can Join PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies Program

Let consumers know that your company does not test its products on animals by having your company’s name added to our cruelty-free list(s). Please contact BeautyWithoutBunnies@peta.org to request the application materials to join our program. Once your company is certified as cruelty-free, you will even be able to license PETA’s cruelty-free bunny logo!

Commenting is closed.
  • C. Fields says:

I am looking for Petal Fresh Body Washes. A>J>Wright was the store that I purchased, but these stores have since closed. Where can I find these products.

• AndreaH says:

Please add Blue Buffalo Dog Food to the list of not tested on animals.

• Adrienne says:

I would also like to know about Avene’s animal practices as there is little information on the web. Are they listed under another name? I searched Eau thermale, Lab.derm. and Pierre Fabre, and no dice.

• Arantxa says:

I would like to know if AVENE tests on animals. I dón’t find it in any list. Thank you so much!

• natalie says:

I would like to know if WELLA (shampoo & else) tests on animals. I dón’t find it in any list. Thnaks!

• sarah says:

hi, im a designer and looking for a “cruelty-free” (if there is such thing) or faux feather supplier for fashion. Im based in Australia, but open to any online stores that offer such products worldwide.

any leads on this would be great to know, as I have searched high and low and don’t seem to get anywhere!
    thanks

• GIORGIA S. says:

I’D LIKE TO KNOW IF THESE COMPANIES ARE CRUELTY FREE:
    CHANEL
    LANCASTER
    GIVENCHY

THANKS

• Sara says:

I was wondering if Tetley tea is cruelty free? I didn’t see it on either list.

• Justyna says:

Hi everyone
    add to your list of cruelty free Simple company. i have asked them a question if they test on animals and they replied that they use alternative methods
    Thanks

• Sara says:

I use baking soda for cleaning and just found out that Arm & Hammer (Church & Dwight) is NOT cruelty free. Is there a cruelty free company that makes baking soda?

• Eydie says:

My son would like to have a high school varsity jacket, but it seems that all I see are wool jackets with leather sleeves. I would like to find a website that offers vegan varsity letter jackets.

• Acaciangel says:

I would also like to know about keratase, burt’s bees, and the body shop. They are all owned by loreal. Can you clear up the confusion please?

Thank you.

• Natalie says:

Hi, I was wondering if Nivea or Palmolive test on animals?? I can’t find it on either list so I was wondering because I own products from both companies and am worried
    Thanks

• Tina says:

I’m from the Philippines and there are 2 shampoo brands that claim that they don’t test on animals : St. Ive’s and Alberto’s VO5. My question is, why are these two not on the cruelty-free list?

• Anna says:

There are some companies, which are not on the Peta “Do not test list”, but they are claiming that they are not testing on animals. Could you please officially inquire from those companies whether it is really true?
    1. Dermalogica (On their FAQ section at http://www.dermalogica.com/us/about/company_faq.html they say “We have never, and will never, conduct animal testing.”)
    2. Dr. Organic (http://www.drorganic.co.uk/about.asp)
    3. Yves Rocher (http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control/dynpage/~struct=about/~page=7reasons)

Thank you!

• ipudgybear says:

I was wondering the same thing as Heather commented previously. Is Coty still animal testing? I know it is owned by Del Lab but from what I have researched online and from numerous blogs, Coty is stating that they do not animal test.

• Cindy says:

I am wondering if Guthy-Renker does animal testing. I refuse to use products that have been tested on animals but I received a product for Guthy-Renker and trying to get an answer. I have checked the lists on this site, but they are not listed anywhere? I asked the company and they said that they do not do any animal testing, but I need to find the right answer. Does anyone know?

• Partyboy Playboii says:

Hi,
    Do some of the companies listed who don’t test may be owned by larger corporations that do test on animals? I was interested in buying clinique as I find my mom and grandma have good skin for their age and use it-do you have any information on this product?
    also, thanks so much for your devotion to the animals and information like this for the public to read!

• Peggy says:

Hi, I was wondering if Ulta brand cosmetics and skincare tests on animals. I requested information straight from the Ulta website twice, and have received no answer. I am trying to find out if I need to return my Ulta products. Thanks!

• Vanessa says:

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knew whether Ann Taylor Fragrance tests on animals. I wanted to buy their fragrance Possibilities but can’t find if they do or not.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great! Thank you!

• purrna2go says:

What does one do for cat food? I am caring for many abandoned cats, all my responsibility now. I cannot afford a designer brand of cat food.

• Mel says:

Hi, I have a question about NYX Cosmetics (nyxcosmetics.com). I’ve checked the Do and Don’t Test lists, and don’t see NYX listed on either. I also haven’t been able to find out what (if any) manufacturer the company is “under” to see if they test on animals. I’m really curious, since I hear their products are similar to MAC and want to try them out. Thanks Peta :)

• Confused. says:

Hi I’ve read what the previous commenters has to say but PETA do you have official say on whether Rimmel is a do or don’t? Cause I’ve scoured recent (updated) websites that says yes and no.

• Holly says:

Does anyone know if St. Ives is cruelty free? Their bottles say “no animal testing, no animal procucts” but I can’t find any confirmation that this is true.
    Thanks!

• Sarah says:

Hello, I would like to know if Affinity use to test on animals, please.

Thank you!

• Woof says:

Hello hello!

I’m very confused right now because The Body Shop was bought by L’Oreal in 2006 and Burt’s Bees was bought by Clorox in 2007. Both Clorox and L’Oreal are listed as companies who test by PETA. Thing is, why does PETA still consider Burt’s Bees and TBS to be cruelty-free? D: Don’t parent companies reap a portion of the profits made by the business they buy over??!?!?!? Someone reply please! Thank you ^^

• jo0911 says:

Hi, what about Nivea/ Beiersdorf? I’ve read in sites from my country that they do not test, but I’m not sure as I haven’t seen it here.
    Do you know if they do it or not? I’m from Argentina.

• Natasha Rrrr says:

Hey there!
    I’m a voice artist and I just wanted to let you know I have a ring tone option to show your pride! It’s only for Verizon customers now but I will have many more up and more providers in the New Year. I will keep you posted. Verizon Customers can search “Natasha Rrrr” at the Verizon Media Store online. That is my artist name. Go to “ToFurkey Thanksgiving” I think it’s number 200 something on the tones! Again that’s my first PETA one but I hope to have many more!
    Natasha

• beeg says:

Looking for info on whether Kerastase (owned by L’Oreal), does animal testing. Mixed information on the web. PETA includes L’Oreal on it’s “do Test” list but Kerastase isn’t included as one of the list companies. Kerastase website says they don’t but it’s worded strangely and I don’t believe them. It says: “We are happy to confirm that the L’Oréal group of companies, which includes Lancôme, Redken, Garnier, Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani, Biotherm, Kérastase, and Vichy, as well as L’Oréal, has carried out no animal testing since 1989 on the entire range of its products. This decision was undertaken within the framework of our fundamental objectives: to offer innovative products of high quality while ensuring their safety in use by our customers.

For information about the significant efforts deployed by our laboratories over a period of 25 years to develop alternative methods to animal testing, as well as our very important achievements in this field, please consult our website at http://www.lorealusa.com.”

Please confirm whether or not the above is accurate or a convenient phrasing to disquise animal testing by Kerastase. Thank you.

• Lydia says:

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me if Bvlgari tests on animals? I can’t find any info on their website, online or PETA’s cruelty free list.
    Thanks,
    Lydia

• Sakura says:

So a company can be on the cruelty free list even if their product contains beeswax because it technically isn’t animal testing? : I’m just wondering as being new to vegan.

• Jess123 says:

hi, is American Eagle a cruelty free company? i’ve been searcing for over a month and i can’t find anywhere that’ll tell me.

• Vivien says:

I drink Tazo tea and can’t find them on your cruelty free list. Is there any way to find out if they test on animals or not??

• Joan says:

I was horrified to find tonight, on Tom’s of Maine website that “Tom’s of Maine is an independently run division of Colgate, a partnership we entered into in 2006 (read Tom and Kate’s letter explaining how and why this decision was made). Colgate (CL) is a publicly traded company.” I’m going to have find a new toothpaste brand ASAP!

• PETA says:

Re: Annoyed and Joy. PETA is still waiting for both Laura Mercier and Philosophy to confirm their cruelty-free-status. Please encourage these companies to sign PETA’s Cruelty-Free statement of assurance, and be included on this list. Thank you for taking action! – PETA.

• Jamie says:

Mars Candy is no longer listed on the list of companies that test on animals. Subsequently, they’re not on the list of companies who do not test on animals either. Can someone please clarify this for me? Have they stopped testing, are they owned by someone else now, or did they just get deleted from the list by accident??

• Annoyed says:

It’s a bit off-putting that PETA’s website invites concerned people to contact PETA about companies which don’t test on animals, but then gives no such contact information.

This said, I am wondering whether or not the company Philosophy (www.philosophy.com) tests on animals.

Thank you.

• Tracey says:

Faux Fur: I was told that 96% of faux fur is probably real fur i.e. a dog or cat ( China). Is this true? International Concepts has a whole line of faux fur items out this season and I want to know if they truly use synthetic fabrics.

• Joy says:

I’d like to request that Laura Mercier cosmetics be considered for PETAs lists of companies that do or do not test on animals. I use quite a few of their products so would like to know if I need to find another company to purchase from. Thanks!

• PETA says:

Re: Rebecca and Varini. Neither Farouk Systems nor Lamke Cosmetics & Hair Care are included in PETA’s list of cruelty-free companies. Please visit http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/search.aspx?Product=9 for a list of cruelty-free hair products, and http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/search.aspx?Product=5 for a list of cruelty-free cosmetics. – PETA.

• Varini says:

Hi, is Lakme cosmetics and hair care a cruelty free company? I can not find info on their website. Thanks.

• Rebecca says:

Hi I was wondering if the Farouk Systems company (maker of various hair lines like CHI and Biosilk) is CF? I would like to try their products but would of course like to make only compassionate choices.

• Lisa says:

Hi I refuse to use products that are tested on animals..

• Valerie91 says:

Sorry for double post but I would like to add another more reliable link that lists again Del Laboratories and Coty as companies that DO test on animals:

• Valerie91 says:

This comment is for Heather and others requiring information regarding Coty. Currently (since 2007) Coty is owned by Del Laboratories, known to do test on animals.
    Please see the link below for more information regarding other companies:
    Sad to say (info from Wikipedia) that not even by far stretch can we consider Coty not being part of animal testing since Del Laboratories is known to have helped developping more skincare products – this information is regarding Lancaster (Coty company).

• May says:

Hello

I love the look of UGGS and of course wont buy them, but I found these at old navy, they say they are faux fur

Are they really animal safe?

Can i buy them?

• Heather says:

I know that Rimmel London Cosmetics is owned by Coty, Inc., which used to be on the PETA “Do Test” list, but Coty is now not on either list. I know Coty was acquired by Unilever in 2006, but now the Unilever site does not list it, and I can’t find out who the new parent company is, unless Coty is on its own now? There seems to be a lot of confusion among vegetarian makeup artists as to whether Rimmel is cruelty-free or not, with some claiming it is and others claiming it is not. Has Coty stopped animal testing?
    I have relied on PETA’s do-test/don’t-test lists for over 20 years, because I have always considered PETA to have the most stringent guidelines in determining who is considered cruelty-free, and I remember when Revlon and Avon were added in the early 1990s, yet there are several other lists from various vegan and SPCA sites that still list Revlon and Avon as non-bunny-friendly. Have these companies reverted back to their prior dark ways, or do some other lists use even more strict guidelines than PETA, or maybe these other sites are going off an early version of PETA’s list from 20 years ago?

• Eva says:

I am a vegan ballet dancer, and I need to know where to find 100% vegan POINTE shoes. Not ballet slippers, but pointe shoes. I haven’t been able to find them anywhere, but I will die if I have to keep using non vegan shoes. I need new shoes soon and I refuse to buy cruel shoes. But I will also die if I have to quit dancing. I don’t know what to do. Please please please help me!!!

• TianDream says:

I work for Safeway grocery stores and have seen a new product on the shelf. It is Safeway’s generic brand “In Kind” that is supposed to be cruelty-free and vegan. I would like to know if it really is what it claims. And, don’t worry, I might work for the company but I have no loyalties to them.

• Karen says:

Hello-
    Wondering if this the correct place to acquire this advice. I am looking for high-quality, clipless bike shoes as a gift for an avid cycler. Any good places to look to find vegan options?

Thanks,