Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the first live-action film in the history of movies to star and be told from the point of view of a sentient animal—a character with humanlike qualities, who can strategize, organize, and ultimately lead a revolution, and with whom audiences will experience a real emotional bond. The Oscar-winning visual-effects team that brought to life the worlds of Avatar and Lord of the Rings is breaking new ground, using computer-generated imagery (CGI) to create apes who deliver a dramatic performance of unprecedented emotion and intelligence—as well as epic battles on which rest the upended destinies of humans and apes. The film highlights the journey of an ape named Caesar, a fully CGI creation realized through a motion-capture performance by Andy Serkis (who also played Gollum in Lord of the Rings) and the animation team at Weta Digital. James Franco, Freida Pinto, Tom Felton, and John Lithgow also star in this exciting drama.

Director Rupert Wyatt mandated that Rise of the Planet of the Apes not use any real apes during filming and worked with Weta Digital to create lifelike apes through revolutionary visual effects. Chimpanzees who are used in entertainment are typically torn away from their mothers shortly after birth—a horrible process that causes irreversible psychological harm to the baby and the mother. Trainers typically use fear-based training methods and physical abuse in an effort to suppress instinctive behaviors and force apes to perform on cue. Rupert explained that a big theme of this movie is humanity’s mistreatment and abuse of captive apes. Apes are the heroes of this film, and humans are the villains—and Rupert said he couldn’t imagine a worse way of undercutting that message than by using real apes in the movie’s production.

Rupert’s compassionate choice has earned him a PETA Proggy Award, which applauds companies, people, and products for innovative and animal-friendly achievements. 20th Century Fox’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes has also received PETA’s seal of approval both for the film’s use of CGI and for spotlighting animal rights messages.

Catch Rise of the Planet of the Apes in theaters starting August 5! Learn more about this exciting motion picture by checking out exclusive interviews with the director and the visual-effects team and production stills from the film.

Commenting is closed.
  • BaconLover says:

Just curious, if this happened in real life, would you people join the apes in aiding the destruction of Mankind, the killing of innocent humans, and earth as we know it?

• Sarah says:

I was skeptical about this movie because I was raised on classic films, including the original Planet of the Apes, and regarded the remake as a travesty — but it actually looks like something I’d be really interested in seeing. I applaud the director’s decision not to use real animals. Thank you for making people aware of this!

• jen says:

My family has always been concerned about animal rights..I have been a long time member of WWF..My younger son and I went to see the new Planet of the Apes movie and it was a great movie one of the best i have ever seen. My son and i were so moved during a few scenes we were crying and hes 17yrs old..Since seeing this movie i am now a PETA member and will be more active in making sure that animals are treated the way they are supposed to be with caring and without torture for the so called benefit of mankind….

• Phadief says:

I am so excited about this movie, I want to see it so bad, but my parents don’t want me to since it’s on the apes side. :{ I’m so glad it’s approved by PETA, now I want to see it even more! I saw the trailer and I was hooked. I wish that happened in real lifes, and the apes won. I had a dream that humans could help the apes rebel, and I did.

• jackiecarelli145 says:

i saw this movie it was awesome! i will probally even pay to go see it again it was that good and now knowing its a peta approved film makes it that much better =)

• patty says:

i saw it when it first came out and took my whole family. I loved it! Everyone should go see it! Progress really is being made :)

• Dee says:

I saw the movie this evening. I think overall I can say I liked the movie, but it was difficult to watch the cruelty and I left the theatre with a sense of sadness for a human race that is so blind to the suffering it causes. I feel so strongly that we (humans) are at a breaking point with the suffering we inflict with experimentation and factory farming etc. and so very few people realize this….this movie made me sad for this reason.

• Deborah Martin says:

This movie was wonderful and I am so proud of them not only not using live animals, but also for really bringing to light the horrors of animal testing in laboratories. In addition, the apes were shown to be wild animals, which they are and aren’t intended to be pets, but also they weren’t portrayed as homicidal beasts either. Just an all around great movie in addition to being a wonderful message for more humane treatment of animals!

• G.S. says:

Why don’t famous “primate experts” (like Jane Goodall) do more to get all the primate labs in this country closed? Why don’t they speak out against them, organize on-site protests, and identify the “researchers” that work there, by name, and then shame them into closing these animal prisons and torture facilities down? We need to close ALL animal experimentation facilities down – that is what they are going to do in Europe. Why is the U.S. always behind everyone else? Let’s get the University of Wisconsin primate lab closed down!!! Let’s get Oregon National Primate Research Center closed down!

• Lise Phillips says:

Both human animals and non-human animals are capable of a lot of violence. Humans on a grand scale.

• claxx says:

This film will make you think! Very well done :)

• Heidi says:

Excellent movie!!! This movie shows how non-human primates are obtained; how they are treated in labs; and also how strong they are. This will hopefully open some people’s eyes to how we humans treat non-human primates. And then there’s the engrossing story and excellent ending. The digital apes were so real looking; especially their movement and facial expressions. This movie does the originals justice.

• tuckerprguy says:

“The Oscar-winning visual-effects team…is breaking new ground, using computer-generated imagery (CGI) to create apes who deliver a dramatic performance of unprecedented emotion and intelligence…”

Doesn’t anybody remember the 2005 remake of “KING KONG”? (Which also starred Andy Serkis as the CGI’ed primate.)

• michael says:

Keep dreaming; chimps are chimps.

Didn’t you read about the 200 lb. pet chimp who ripped and chewed up the face of its dear hostess last year?

Walt Disney and others have done a job on us by the anthropomorphism of animals. others have done this to us as well. The problem is we have taken it to heart as reality. Animals are not retarded human beings.

Yes, animals can be taught to imitate humans but they will always revert to being animals.

• James says:

I’ve seen it. Such a great film! The apes look real and you’re left feeling like if all humans had the compassion that the apes showed, this world would be a much better place! I highly recommended. This will now be the example for ALL of Hollywood to follow!

• MT1985 says:

I think this movie looks exciting and I can’t wait to see it. It’s great they decided not to use real apes, I was wondering about that.

• yngwie says:

Why all the humans being vile and evil sentiment?

• sophia says:

I can’t wait to see this movie. It is so shameful that the US is still living in the Dark Ages by using the Apes and other animals in the name of “research” perpetrating the cruel and barbaric tests on the helpless animals. Thanks to the movie producers and director for their benevolence in not using the actual animals in this movie.

• hC says:

I cannot wait to see this! Bad humans. Bad. LOL.

• Joseph M. Davis says:

I understand how horrible it is for Hollywood and the entertainment industry to use live apes. Chimps in particular have been abused for decades if not longer. But I do not agree that the CGI in this film is realistic looking. Some of it is decent enough but much of it is not. For example, the scene with the baby chimp in the box is so bad it’s laughable. Curious George cartoons look more realistic than that! Animatronic would have been a much better choice and still no apes would have been harmed. But I was disappointed to have PETA talking about how realistic theses effects were when they are anything but. Celebrate that no apes were abused but tell the truth about the art.

• pepe says:

I hope it will be shown all over the world, because countries in Asia are one of the countries who has to learn that aninmals have their rights to live on this planet as well as humans do and leave the animals alone. but yes, only in a perfect world would this happen

• james says:

are you people serious? ah i figured you radically left view and ways of thinking have encouraged you to detest humans, and instead value animals more. While we do wrong are you really this foolish.

• ozzie says:

I like movies where the shoe is on the other foot! Maybe this is a chilling prophesy. Where non humans will actually take back control of their own destinies. What goes around comes around. Go you Apes! Go!

• opievegan says:

cant wait to see this :) i hope its got major impact on minds of ignorant people!
    p e a c e.

• Radar says:

Ape shall not kill ape!

• Lisa NY says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA animals getting back at the evil/vile humans, I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THIS AND LAUGH! GO ANIMALS GO!!!!!!!

• Paul says:

I’m hoping this movie has a real impact on the general population that are oblivious to sentient beings. I saw the pre-view in a theatre and was rooting for the apes in the first five seconds. It’s great to see PETA give it a thumbs up and their review means a lot to me.

• William Lee Kohler says:

I saw all the originals in the theater in the 60s for entertainment but they made me think about apes potential. Now I’m really excited to see this realistic portrayal of the beginning.
    And yes it is worse than sad how apes are used and treated today. Frankly there should be a death penalty for anyone killing a wild ape. There are far fewer of them to spare than there of selfish and heartless humans.

• David Mackay Ballard says:

Actually, this flick is a re-telling of the fourth movie in the original PotA series, “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes”. Good on PETA for giving it their stamp of approval, though.

• Irish says:

It’s about time the movie industry made a movie such as this and am thrilled no real animals were used!

• carmen says:

we all should go see this movie in support of our animal pals! finally a movie where animals “rise their voice” to say STOP THE CRUELTY AGAINST US!!!!

• woflgirl says:

ok i love this guy and i really wanna c this movie i really like the whole concept of it. u know animal testing gone wrong

• Milky says:

No real apes were used in this movie! Only computer-generated images and visual effects. Andy Serkis will be portraying as ape Cesar. This is a cruel-free movie that’s why I like this and will be watching this.

• Hope says:

Ahhhhh I am SO excited!! I’ve already watched the first movie a few times, ashamed to say I never saw it before I heard this was coming out, omg it’s gonna be so rad :D

• Kathleen says:

I think this movie looks awesome! Not only because I am vehemently against animal testing, but also because it just looks really cool! I usually dont go to the movie theatre, but for this I def will!

• VickyLund says:

I think its going to be a great movie, but yes it may be hard to live up to the first movies.
    I personally look forward to seeing it..

• zptduda says:

“first live-action film in the history of movies to star and be told from the point of view of a sentient animal”

This statement is FALSE!!! What about Planet of the Apes released in 2001? Or Free Willy in 1993? Maybe even: Congo (1995).

These films are just to name a few that could AT LEAST be considered from an animals point of view. I’m sure there are plenty more than this, but it’s YOUR job as a journalist to do better research before making false statements, no mine.

I think you may need to give Hollywood a little more credit than you are.

• Lauren Holt says:

Anyone else excited for Tom Felton’s first (major) movie debut other than Harry Potter!?

• LA says:

Looks like a good movie. However I don’t think it’s the first live action movie told from the perspective of a sentient being (other than human), I just watched Black Beauty and loved it – that movie was told from the perspective of a horse.

• Courtney says:

I’m so excited for this movie. It’s a great opportunity to introduce my boyfriend into why we shouldn’t experiment on animals. Maybe they won’t overthrow the human race, but it does cause a lot of needless pain and suffering.

• Andreanrc says:

I Watched the trailer for this and im psyched to see it!i like the cg apes better, its more dramatic i think and totally safe!i cant wait to buy my ticket!john lithgow is also pretty amazing.:)

• earl says:

VERY GOOD MOVIE CANT WAIT

• Dave says:

Does anyone think this movies going to suck compared to the original

• marisa says:

at first I was a little skeptical about this movie, but the more I saw the trailer for it, the more I started liking the idea of apes leading a revolution against the people who used them for experimentation. Only in a perfect world would this happen but please leave the people who love animals alone, we’re on your side

• Hale says:

I saw this trailer in theaters & I cried so much.

• Aneliese says:

Why would I want to see this? It begins with animal testing and experimentation.

• Lauren says:

I am so happy to see he did not use any real apes in this film, originally I saw the trailer and refused to give a cent to the production. I am extremely relieved to see this. I am looking forward to this film, THANK YOU RUPERT WYATT.

• Toby says:

“…does not use any real apes during filming.” It may feel awkward for some, but this guy figured out in the 1860′s about evolution & since then enough evidence has been found to confirm it as a fact: I got all A’s in upper level biology courses, trust me here, humans are apes. Some uses these false terms like “humans & animals” and “humans & apes”, but the hype should not be believed… apes starred in the film, apes invented film, and an ape typed this. Humans are apes, we are animals & saying otherwise is false & influences unethical speciesism.
    -the film there might do some good…

• S. Earlene says:

I saw the trailor in the theatre and the story was incredible. They showed more of the trailor and went into a little more detail. Scientist feel as though they will cure Alzheimers not realizing there has to be a time when researchers stop playin God (My personal opinion). I can’t wait to go see it.

• tarabear says:

I cannot wait to see this movie!