Investigator’s Notebook

Friday, December 4, 2009
“[A worker] told me that she had killed a rabbit when she first started working at the facility. She said that she was shaking a wire cage floor, which is above the tray, to remove the feces off of it and she slid the tray right into his/her foot. She said ‘I cut the foot right off and the bone was sticking out.'”

Wednesday, January 6, 2010
“[A worker] told me that one rabbit had died due to the extensive burns he/she developed from sitting in his/her urine. … She said that the rabbit had ‘big pus sores’ on his/her body and ‘smelled like death.’ … She also told me that the previous head caretaker … was caught beating a cat with a water hose and that [the former head caretaker] used to ‘kick the shit out of dogs.'”

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
“[A worker] showed me a rabbit whose testicles were very red, swollen and raw. This is the same rabbit whose testicles [a supervisor] had punctured with a needle yesterday. When I asked [the employee] about it, she thought that the testicles were raw due to the rabbit urinating and sitting in his urine.”

Monday, February 8, 2010
“[An employee] informed me that those dogs who are currently infested with roundworms are being kept infested so that PLRS would be prepared if an experiment requiring such animals was sponsored. The worms are administered through a syringe that is shoved down the dogs’ throats. Some dogs have been re-infested with worms, to ensure that they remain in this condition. She said that the last study that these dogs were used in was over six months ago.”

Wednesday, March 3, 2010
“I witnessed several cats who were having seizures, foaming at the mouth, and unable to open their eyes. Others were only able to open their eyes slightly, but appeared to not be able to see. … I saw cats bleeding from the mouth and nose, shaking violently, and screaming in a manner that I have never heard a cat scream before.”

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
“[An employee] brought in a female ‘flea cat.’ A ‘flea cat’ is a cat who is infested with fleas, so PLRS will have a supply of fleas on hand, should they be contracted to use fleas on animals in an experiment. This particular cat had been infested with fleas and [the worker] was washing the fleas off of her with an agent that is intended to kill ticks and fleas. I saw several sores on the cat’s neck, back and stomach. The sores were red, raw and varied in size from the diameter of a pencil eraser to that of a nickel. [The employee] informed me that this cat had been digging at the fleas.”

Monday, March 22, 2010
“I witnessed [a supervisor] grab a cat, who had escaped from a cage, by his or her head. The cat then screamed and [the supervisor] tossed the cat back into the cage. [The supervisor] said ‘get your ass in there’ and ‘you are working’ to the cat. She tossed the cat hard enough that I heard a ‘bang’ sound when the cat hit the back of the cage.”

Wednesday, March 24, 2010
“[The supervisor] showed me how she attempts to surgically treat dogs who have a prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid, or ‘cherry eye.’ She claimed that she was trained to do this by [the laboratory’s contract veterinarian] and that she has done this many times before. [The supervisor] admitted that the female dog she was performing this procedure on was not sedated enough, but said, ‘I gave her more than I should have.’ … [The supervisor] clamped the prolapsed eyelid for approximately two minutes. Then, while using a tool that looked like a pair of pliers, [she] started to pull the prolapsed portion out and said ‘I’ve never used these things before so they might be worthless.’ … The dog appeared to be conscious the entire time, as she moved her limbs and head throughout the procedure. [The supervisor] did not wear gloves, nor did she scrub her hands prior to performing this procedure. The table that the dog was placed on for the procedure was filthy, with old blood and food crumbs on it.”

Tuesday, April 6, 2010
“While [a senior caretaker] and I were inside the runs of room A1 cleaning the ears and clipping the claws of cats, I witnessed [her] handling several of the cats roughly. She held most of the cats by their ears, scalp, and scruff, while I clipped their toenails. She coerced two of these cats into gripping the wire fencing of the run with their fore and hind claws. She then pulled the cats quickly away from the wire by their torsos. When she did this to the first cat, she said to the cat, ‘Grab. Do it, so I can pull your nails out really good.’ [She] also said she did this to break off their claws. I saw these two cats’ paws bleeding after she did this. She pressed one cat down onto the resting area for the cats, in order to get a better grip to clean this cat’s ears and then pressed this same cat up against the wire fencing of the run for the same purpose. She slammed a second cat up against the wire fence.”

Wednesday, June 2, 2010
“[The supervisor] told all caretakers to ‘write up’ dogs who looked ‘red’ or had ‘hair loss’ in case the USDA inspector came in. Based on my experience with [the supervisor], I suspect that any such [forms] submitted will likely not elicit treatment from [the laboratory’s contract veterinarian], but are intended only to give the misleading impression that caretakers are encouraged to report sick and injured animals, who in turn are examined and receive adequate treatment. This way, if the USDA inspector inquires about a specific animal, it will appear that (s)he is actually being cared for.”

Thursday, June 24, 2010
“While weighing cats in room 28, I witnessed [another senior caretaker] slap a cat on the head because the cat had scratched her on the back while she was holding him/her. … After this incident, [she] appeared to be upset, as she was cursing and threw several cats about 3′ through the air against the back of runs which confine them. The impacts were hard enough that a couple of cats lost their footing and landed on their sides/back when they hit the floor. … I witnessed [a senior caretaker] pull a cat—who had escaped from her grip—by the tail for approximately 10′ while trying to catch him/her.”

Saturday, August 7, 2010
“While cleaning room ten, I recorded video of rabbit 4096, who had what appeared to be burns about the size of quarters on his or her hindquarters and on the bottoms of his or her feet. There was also a lot of matted, stained fur on the hindquarters that I was unable to see through; there may be more sores underneath it. … These are the same type of burns that [the laboratory’s contract veterinarian] diagnosed as ‘cage sores’ on rabbit 4095, for whom to my knowledge she never provided or prescribed any type of treatment. … I informed [another senior caretaker] of these rabbits’ conditions. She said that rabbit 4096 came over from room 33, where ‘most’ rabbits’ ‘butts look like that because [of] the way the grates are in the cages. The water sits on them.’ … I was told to not write the rabbits up as such conditions …are ‘normal’ for the rabbits, whom [she] said were ‘fine.'”

Sunday, August 22, 2010
“Prior to clocking in, [an employee] said that she was surprised that PLRS put so many of the dogs ‘down.’ She said that she was happy that they ‘killed’ Brutus, because he was one of the dogs who jumps on her and, as she said, ‘I hate him.’ When I asked her how she prevented him from jumping on her, she said ‘I smacked him.'”

Commenting is closed.
  • Marel says:

Thanks for your tuhotghs. It’s helped me a lot.

• brandepurr88 says:

i cant stop crying this horriffic torture is disgusting.What sort of people can do this to these beautiful helpless animals.Peta you are so wonderful god bless you

• Melissa Schmidt says:

I am so happy that those type of labs and cruelty of animals is being stopped. I am in agreement to the others who spoke out here. These “people” should be made to feel the same pain as these animals do and more. Set them up in lab prisons. I wonder how these people sleep at night? Do they have children and families? Makes me wonder if they are abused as well!

• Darla says:

Why are the people that work there, not arrested and charged with animal cruelty! I don’t understand how anyone can be mean to an animal in a lab. They are not there by their choice, I pray that these people get what is coming to them. I don’t know how they sleep at night. Sometimes I lie awake and think about this stuff, and sometimes it gets so bad I can’t function

• Maggie Cloninger says:

I’m 18 and have been vegetarian for the past two years and have recently turned vegan and I feel that it is the best decision I have ever made in my life. I plan to stay a vegan the rest of my life and want to work for Peta once I finish college. I have trying to become more informed about all the cruelty to animals and have read things on this site every day. As I read this article, I was hyperventilating because I was crying so hard and threw up too. I don’t understand how some people can be so heartless and cruel and I feel that they have no right to be here. My life goal, and what I plan to do is to put those sort of people in jail for the rest of their lives. I have no respect for anyone who supports that sort of treatment.

• Kate says:

My husband and I adopted one of the rescued Beagles on October 6. We live in New Jersey and adopted her from Popcorn Park Zoo in Forked River, which took in 35 Beagles and 6 cats from the NC lab. We knew it would be hard to pick just one Beagle as we are avid Beagle lovers so we decided to choose the first Beagle we saw. Her name is Lucky and she is our beautiful, energetic, precious angel. She is adjusting quite nicely to her new home and acting like the puppy she was never allowed to be! The only tell-tale signs of her life before us are the three tattoos on her body (inner ear lobe, stomach and inner thigh). Lucky is pure love, and we are thankful everyday for her being a part of our family. Thank you PETA for rescuing all the animals at that house of horrors in NC and for your continued efforts on behalf of all animals who are being tortured and are suffering.

• PETA says:

Re: Lexi. We’re glad to hear about your plans to take action! Please visit http://www.peta2.com/ for some good tips and resources. If you have any questions, or would like to request materials, email us at peta2@peta2.com. Thanks!

• Lexi says:

I am a senior in high school and have recently been working on a persuasive essay to outlaw animal testing. As i sat in my class watching the many videos I began to cry. As students started to notice I decided to share with them why I was as upset as I was. Within five minutes of sharing the information on your site the majority of the girls were crying and even a few guys stepped up to say they were holding back tears. None of us could understand how something this unfathomable could be happening. Its scary to see that there really are people out there that have so much hatred for something that only wants to love them. Thank you so much for ending this cruelty. I am going to do my best to get word of this spread across my school in hopes we can do something more to help!

• jacki says:

I am appalled & upset at the behavior of these bullying sicko’s, it must take a certain, brainless, emotionless inhuman kind of ‘person’ to torture & mistreat these poor sentient creatures that have to endure this kind of life in the name of science :(

• anne says:

Animal Abusers should be prohibited from working in Animal Labs! A.

• Janet Queen says:

Where are all the animals going after the shut down???
    What is happening to all the RABBITS and other small animals there???

• Brittni Young says:

I can’t believe this type of stuff is going on. This really makes me cry, I lost my puppy when i was little and it makes me wonder where he went to. These people need to be stopped. This is not the way of life, they are destructing it.

• Maureen Dyke-Brenzel says:

So glad PLRS has been shut down. Hopefully the remaining dogs, cats and rabbits will be found good homes.
    Why are such sadistic people hired to work with animals? and why are there no controls?

• Maureen Dyke-Brenzel says:

• shocked says:

It takes the lowest form of person to administer that kind of abuse on defenseless animals. This is a scary world.

• Kimberly Shelton says:

When I read this story a week ago I wasn’t able to sleep at night knowing I had my freedom and the animals in this lab never would. It sickened me to the point of wanting to drive to the lab, break in and free all the animals, especially Clementine and the poor rabbits. I hope to God the people who have abused these animals will face criminal charges and go to jail. Thank you SO much for exposing the horrid things the poor animals face while being in prison with absolutely no way to escape. I cried when I realized they have no hope…no one is coming for them ever. I had no idea this went on and for so many millions of animals. I am now on a mission to educate as many people as possible about the horrors that animals face who end up in labs. I further pledge to never again knowingly purchase ANY products that are tested on animals. I was especially horrified to learn that companies who produce products for animals, such as the maker of frontline would participate in such a gruesome practice. I will NEVER use frontline again, nor will I spend one penny on any products that are the manufacturers you mentioned. I am now clearing my plate so I will have time to volunteer to help expose such cruelty and I pledge to educate everyone I know of these horrors. Thank you for the work you do. Thank GOD for the victory.

• Kelli Hendrickson says:

Tell your investagator to set some of the animals free!