Clementine’s Story

A gentle senior Dalmatian named Clementine has been imprisoned at Professional Laboratory and Research Services (PLRS) for as long as seven years. According to a PLRS supervisor, the laboratory bought Clementine in 2003 from a notorious animal dealer that has since been shut down for “severe mistreatment and neglect of a multitude of animals.” The dealer had acquired Clementine from an animal shelter. Clementine—also referred to as “38902”—spends her lonely days in a concrete and chain-link cell without exercise, affection, or attention. Every day, she is deprived of a home, a family, simple comfort, veterinary care, and enrichment.

Instead of living with a family in a good home, she endures the abuses of “life” at PLRS, where the floor’s poor drainage forces her to spend most of her days standing in her own urine and/or a bleach and water solution. Workers spray a caustic bleach solution into the cage while she is still inside it. Raw, open sores cover her limbs. Excrement is caked on her body.

When PETA’s investigator reported Clementine’s injuries, she was told that they were “just part of life at PLRS” and that she should not tell the veterinarian who visits PLRS once a week or so about them. According to a PLRS supervisor, Clementine was diagnosed with heartworm disease in 2005 but has never been treated.

PETA’s investigator visited Clementine when time permitted and, over a period of months, saw Clementine’s physical and psychological health decline. Clementine appeared to be depressed and cried when the investigator left her. The investigator’s requests to adopt Clementine were denied.

Unlike PLRS employees, who are free to leave the laboratory, Clementine cannot escape. She remains locked in a cage and is being considered for use in a cruel experiment. You can help us stop the suffering and abuse of animals like Clementine by making an urgent donation right now.

Commenting is closed.
  • Mia says:

There is no answer as to what happen to Clementine. This makes me sad. I pray that she is in good health and pray that somebody will do something to help her before it is too late!!

• cheryl says:

“The investigator’s requests to adopt Clementine were denied” Why?? Well, the person responsible for the denial is now hopefully unemployed. Has Clementine been adopted now?

• Anne says:

TO CLEMENTINE: “WE KNOW YOU ARE THERE; WE ARE DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN TO SHUT THIS AWFUL PLACE…WE ARE YOU FOR YOU CLEMENTINE; HANG ON U BEAUTIFUL DALMATION ~!

• Miriam Guzzoni says:

Contrary to any mistreatment or violence against innocent animals today and Oct. 4 – UNIVERSAL DAY OF THE ANIMALS, always ask: Where is the care of UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF ANIMAL RIGHTS supported by UNESCO in various countries of the world leaders on 15/10 / 1978, which says in clause VIII, referring to scientific experiments: “The animal experiment involving physical suffering is incompatible with animal rights, whether an experienced medical, scientific, commercial or otherwise. A substitute technique must be used and developed “Where is it??
    CONGRATULATING ALWAYS WORK FOR YOU!

• Ava says:

What happened to Clementine ??? Thank u so much PETA for exposing the truth and helping free these poor animals!!!

• marisol says:

i love animals i dont know why that laboratory its open .thanks peta for make a great job.

• Layla says:

Thank you so much PETA for doing your investigation, I just saw this story and it breaks my heart! I’m glad PLSR has been shut down and I wish I could adopt all the animals myself and give them the home that they deserve.

• Layla says:

Thank you PETA for doing your investigation, I just saw this story and it breaks my heart! I’m glad PLSR has been shut down and wish I could adopt all the animals myself and give them the home that they deserve.

• Tanya says:

Please tell us what happened to Clementine. We need an UPDATE… PLEASE

• uslizann says:

WHERE IS CLEMENTINE NOW?
    There is a rumor that one of the lab workers took her!
    She wasn’t in any of the post rescue videos I saw!

• Erika says:

Where is Clementine now after the lab closed? We want to know that she’s ok!!!

• Erika says:

What happened to Clementine after the lab closed? We really want to know that she’s ok!!!

• sophieg says:

Don’t have the stomach- to deal with this abuse or patience for this. Haven’t we learned anything? Sick.

• sophieg says:

• k9chaos says:

awesome work PETA on the closure of PLRS. just wondering if there will be any charges laid against the workers/supervisors, they were clearly being abusive to the animals.

• elena says:

Amazing news ! PLEASE UPDATE US ON CLEMENTINE AND HOW TO ADOP THE OTHER ANIMALS WHEN AVAILABLE.

• Shawn says:

I am so pleased to hear of the closing of PLSR!! Can you please let me know the fate of poor Clementine. I would love to be updated on her condition…thank you

• Sheree Harrell says:

WHERE IS CLEMENTINE? This Dalmatian was the Poster Child for PETA’s PLRS LABORATORY BUST and was certainly in grave danger once PLRS LABORATORY was outed as violent to animals. PLEASE MAKE SURE SHE IS SAFE! LET US KNOW IF SHE IS OK!!

• G says:

It was so hard for me to watch the first 30 seconds of the video.. I had to stop it. Then i found this story and it made me just as sick. I am so happy that PLSR has been closed and that these poor animals who have endured this treatment can finally be shown what it’s like to be loved and cared for and for them to realize not all people are like the ones they have experienced. Please update us on Clementine’s story..I am keeping my fingers crossed that the investigator will finally be allowed to adopt her.

• vegantreehugger says:

Can I meet with this investigator? Or your investigator should contact me! Thank you for all your good work!

• vegantreehugger says:

I worked at this facility for 6 months, after hurricane Isabel flattened my house, workplace, and car, when I was facing 3 felonies, had no transportation and no $, and no one else would hire me. I tried for years, throughout college, to adopt Clementine legally and was repeatedly refused. I tried twice to break her out and was threatened with prosecution. She was the sweetest, most deserving of companionship, and it was my last promise to her to get her out of there! These people made tons of money from overseas resources, took frequent trips to Africa and China with investors, and had unlimited supplies of treatment to offer Clem. but only hired junkies and psychos that would be paid a minimum part-time wage. it started off well enough, rescuing dogs from certain execution, feed them, then they’d execute them, themselves. I’m so angry about this… You have no idea the pain this causes me!

• uslizann says:

YES! Please keep us updated! Photos/videos of the rescue. Happy adoption tales! Clementine especially! And the ginger cat who had to cower in the back of her cage, the kitty who had her claws broken, and the Beagles and Rabbits.

• Mary Mady says:

Are there any animals left that need adopting?

• Ann Leger says:

Please let us know what happened to Clementine

• Alex says:

Thanks GOD. Thanks PETA. Thanks guys who has play their part. So happy to hear the good news.

• Dolores B. Carabillo says:

Praise God the lab is closed for good. Now what can we do for Clementine??? Keep up the wonderful work PETA, the WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING!!!

• Mary Stamm says:

Is Clementine free….does she have a spot where someone will love her and take care of her

• Patti J. says:

I second vali. What will happen to the animals rescued from this place? Please let us know.

• Jenn says:

PLEEEEEASE let us know what happened to her!! I hope she was adopted, and I hope all of the poor, innocent animals there were given a chance at a second life in a warm, loving home.

• Phyllis says:

I could not bear to watch the video. I was prepared to call the NC attorney general’s office and governor’s office to raise eloquent hell. Just made a donation. Would like follow up on the rescued animals.

• Amanda Cowell says:

i just finished watching the undercover video on @perezHiltons sister site @Teddy Hilton, I am the owner of 6 rescues 4 of them dogs and 2 cats..my life is dedicated to them they are my babies and to my siblings at the same time i treat them like i would treat anyone i love, seeing this video and what these disgusting people did to these defenseless animal they are lucky their faces are blurred b/c they all deserve to be killed and i am not joking the do no one should ever hurt an animal, and people who do need to be punished severely. we need to work together to shut these disgusting facilities down EVERYWHERE adn imprision these people who do this!

• Cricket says:

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE CLEMENTINE IS…I WAS PROVIDED A LIST OF DOGS FOR ADOPTION TODAY AND SHE IS NOT ON THE LIST…IF SOMEONE FINDS OUT ABOUT HER PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

• Cecilia de Leon says:

Is clementine going to be saved from PLRS? and what about the other animals imprisoned at the facility?

• Laurel Al-tigar says:

Does anyone know what has happened with Clementine? I want her and I want to get her out of there, if she is still alive. If anyone knows anything please let me know.

• DIANE M. KASTEL says:

WHAT WILL NOW HAPPEN TO CLEMENTINE THE DALMATION AT PLRS? SHE NEEDS IMMEDIATE VETERINARY TREATMENT. WAS SHE RESCUED? IS THE PETA INVESTIGATOR GOING TO ADOPT HER?

• DIANE M. KASTEL says:

I NEED TO KNOW WHETHER CLEMENTINE HAS BEEN SAVED AND WHETHER SHE WILL GET THE VETERINARY CARE SHE NEEDS, NOW THAT PLRS HAS BEEN CLOSED. THE INVESTIGATOR WANTED TO ADOPT HER. PLEASE TELL ME THE ENDING?

• DIANE M. KASTEL says:

• Sharleen says:

I just got the breaking news of the closure of this hell hole too. Well done PETA, this is brilliant work. I read that all animals have gone to shelters, over 200, best news I’ve had in ages! Amazing.

• jd says:

I found the film so gut wrenching but made myself watch it. I wrote the people that PETA requested and I am thrilled they closed the lab. However, I would love to see those ghastly people barred from ever working with animals or even humans again. I realise the job can harden people but that was beyond the pale. Thank you PETA

• jd says:

• Elisabeth says:

Could you please let us know what happens to Clementine! She really touched my heart and I hope that she will get a loving home to stay in for the rest of her life.

• Shirl says:

Thank you PETA for all that you do for the innocent animals. I have been a proud supporter of PETA for many years now and will continue to be. Where is Clementine now? Will she be put up for adoption? I would love to give her the home she deserves. Please let your supporters know!

• Lauren says:

THANK YOU PETA for helping all these suffering animals and saving them from a terrible and tortuous life!! I applaud you for all that you do and your continued efforts to stop animal abuse! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

• Chris says:

CAN I ADOPT HER? I live in Charlotte and can pick her up ASAP.

• jane says:

Has PLSR been closed? — please,please let us know what is going to happen to Clementine….thank you and God bless you all.

• Anne says:

Also in Germany we heard that PLRS has been closed, thank you so much PETA! God bless the Investigator!!! Please let us know what will happen to Clementine. Thank you for all, Greetings from Germany

• vali says:

I have heard that thanks to the fantastic job PETA does, PLSR has been closed. That’s great news !!! I need now to know what will happen for Clementine. Please let us know…

• Franz Rodríguez Chus says:

Poor Baby, she deserves a Real Family not stay in PLRS. Hope you guys can do something for her.
    I’m from Ecuador (South America) and we are fighting here against SELLING DOGS IN STREET, most of the time they have nutritional diseases, parasites or parvovirus; Hope PETA will do ‘animal protection campaigns’ in Ecuador.

Thumbs up 4 U.
    Franz Rodríguez Chusán

• cookie says:

i think people who do this to animals are sick,
    and ya know what i dont think i know and you know
    we all know, God himself will punish these people.
    For how dare they play God.
    May her Soul be saved, when its time. For she will
    trouble no more:(

• greyfel says:

I just watched the video of the horrendous PLRS facility and the neanderthals who work there. I applaud PETA for doing the undercover work necessary to shine the light on the cockroaches! I just renewed my PETA membership. Thanks for all you do and keep on catching the animal abusers. I hope every employee at PLRS is fired and charged with animal cruelty.