PETA's headquarters is in Norfolk, Virginia—home of the Norfolk Tides—so we know that there's nothing better than sitting in the stands on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying a veggie dog and a cold beer or soda, and watching an exciting minor league ballgame. While major league stadiums tend to have a larger selection at concession stands, many minor league teams have recognized the trend toward healthy and humane eating.
Here's our list of the Top 10 Vegetarian-Friendly Minor League Ballparks for 2009 and a sampling of their cruelty-free menu items:
1. MerchantsAuto.com Stadium (New Hampshire Fisher Cats): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, vegetable wraps, portobello mushroom cap salads, grilled vegetable sandwiches, various salads, and (available on request) portobello sandwiches and veggie sausage.
2. Frontier Field (Rochester Red Wings): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, veggie taco salads, pasta with marinara sauce, baked potatoes, and salad wraps.
3. PGE Park (Portland Beavers): Gardenburgers, Gardenburger Philly-style sandwiches, Tofurky veggie dogs and Polish kielbasa, and various salads.
4. Harry Grove Stadium (Frederick Keys): Vegetarian Philly "steak" sandwiches (be sure to ask for no cheese), veggie burgers, veggie dogs, vegetarian wraps, build-your-own burritos, and meatless taco salads (ask for no cheese).
5. Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Durham Bulls): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, sweet potato and black bean burritos, assorted salads, and fruit cups.
6. Recreation Park (Visalia Rawhide): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, portobello mushroom sandwiches (ask for no cheese), vegetarian Greek wraps (ask for no cheese), and a taco salad bar.
7. Fifth Third Field (Dayton Dragons): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, garden vegetable sautés, vegetable wraps, assorted salads, and fresh fruit.
8. AutoZone Park (Memphis Redbirds): Veggie dogs; black bean burgers; grilled vegetable wrap sandwiches; fresh fruit, melon, and berries in a souvenir mug; chilled sliced watermelon.
9. Nat Bailey Stadium (Vancouver Canadians): Veggie dogs and vegetarian sushi (veggie rolls and brown rice veggie rolls). Available in suites: veggie burgers, fresh fruit platters, and mixed baby greens salads.
10. FirstEnergy Ballpark (Lakewood BlueClaws): Veggie burgers, fruit cups, and salads. Available in suites: angel hair pasta, vegetable wraps, and garden fresh crudités.
Dr. Pepper Ballpark (Frisco RoughRiders): Gardenburgers available on request and fresh fruit cups. Available in suites: roasted vegetable wraps and a garden vegetable medley.
Municipal Stadium (Hagerstown Suns): Veggie burgers, assorted salads, pepper-and-onion Phillies, and veggie dogs (available in the picnic area).
Regions Park (Birmingham Barons): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, assorted salads, fruit cups, and veggie trays.
Volcanoes Stadium (Salem-Keizer Volcanoes): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, and vegetarian Asian rice bowls.
Avista Stadium (Spokane Indians): Veggie burgers, garden salads, and veggie dogs (available for group events).
Get started on your vegetarian diet today by ordering a free copy of PETA's "Vegetarian Starter Kit." It's loaded with mouthwatering recipes and useful tips and information on going vegetarian. Order one now!
Return to the list of major league stadiums.
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.