Photos Taken Inside SNBL Animal Testing Lab

At SNBL, more than three-quarters of the monkeys are locked inside cages by themselves. Being caged alone is extremely distressing to monkeys, who are naturally social beings, and they develop abnormal behaviors like self-mutilation, incessant rocking, and hair-pulling.

Torn from his mother soon after birth, a baby monkey clutches desperately to a blanket.

This monkey rubs a swollen eye. The whistleblower reported that physical abuse by workers is common at SNBL.

For some experiments, monkeys were tethered to their cages with a metal tube that was surgically attached to their backs. Experimental chemicals were continuously infused into the monkeys’ veins through the tube.

The monkeys were kept tethered to their cages for many months.

The monkeys would shiver and their teeth would chatter non-stop while they had ice-cold liquids pumped into their veins.

Monkeys used in tests had their blood drawn many times a day, resulting in swelling, redness, and bruising of their limbs. The monkeys generally did not receive any veterinary care for their injuries, which were considered “routine.”

The monkeys’ veins would rupture because of the repeated blood draws, and workers would poke and dig around in the limb to find other veins.

Locked alone in a cage, this beagle is desperate for attention.

Return to the investigation main page by clicking here.

Commenting is closed.
  • Karishma says:

There are other ways for finding medicinal treatments. then why to torture these helpless animals. Animals are not meant to be abused this way. Take a minute to go in their positions and imagine what they must be going through physically and mentally. Please help them by immediately stopping cruelty.

• Barbara Chrsitensen says:

Please stop transporting monkeys for these Labs. There are other options for their “experiments” it is time to put an end to this inhumane treatment of these animals. When I hear that you not longer do this, I will be happy to fly your airline.

• Pamela Kaczynski says:

These shameful pictures brought me to tears. the goverment and airlines should be ashamed of themselves.PLEASE stop the torture of these poor innocent animals.

• Drahomira Pancova says:

POOR ANIMALS!!! WHERE ARE THE LAW MAKERS, THE GOVERNMENT, YOUR PRESIDENT. STOP THIS!!! USE PRISONERS!!! THE ANIMALS AND NORMAL PEOPLE CRY!!!
    D.P. from Czech Republic.

• Dawnsay says:

Why do we still animal test? I mean theres other methods…I would like to thank our government for lack of respect, trust and love that we provide for innocent creatures that dont have a voice or an option to live. Do you think they like being tortured? Do you think they want this life? Shame on you for giving them a death sentence. Who are we to take away there life. Torture should be to those who are guilty of a crime and have to do spend there last days in prison…I mean really! Our tax payers money would be better utilized. In fact you would find a remedy,or a cure, and the answer you scietist were looking for. Test on prisoners! They should’nt have a voice in prison! Why should they be granted human rights? When your guilty and found guilty then you should be probed, poked, stabbed an injected for the best hairspray product known to man. Now that’s utilizing my tax money.

• maren meyer says:

Please stop

• Mary Anne Adams says:

I will never fly United or Air France again! Animal experimentation is longer necessary. We have the technology to test drugs and procedures without the use of primates or any other species of animal. We need to help PETA stop these practices.

• Paige says:

Animal testing is wrong….especially for cosmetics. If you test on animals for medicine it is fine but animals are NOT disposable ‘test tubes with whiskers.’

• Jennie Higins says:

It is wicked to subject these sentient creatures to such painful experiments and in such lonely conditions for them

• M says:

In Ontario, Canada, there are laws which state if a shelter receives government funding, it is obliged to send animals for research purposes to research facilities. This includes strays, confiscated animals, pets, etc., and they can do this after 48 hours. Can PETA look into this?

• Ivana says:

PLEASE HUMAN RACE STOP TORTURE AND ABUSE ANIMALS . BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS HAVE MORE INTELLIGENCE THEN ANY HUMAN . SICK OF HUMAN STUPIDITY

• nathalie says:

Please call Air France’s cargo office at 773-686-8100, extension 2, and urge the airline to cancel this shipment and join the growing number of airlines who refuse to ship primates for use in invasive experiments.
    PETA has just learned that Air France plans to transport 60 monkeys this Wednesday (February 1) from Africa to the U.S. for use in cruel and deadly experiments at the notorious Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories (SNBL), where PETA recently conducted an investigation that unveiled shocking cruelty.

We need your help to urge the airline to cancel this shipment!

If Air France moves ahead with its plans, the monkeys, supplied by an African facility run by the infamous Bioculture, will be crammed into tiny wooden crates and shipped to Paris in the dark and terrifying cargo hold of a passenger plane. The monkeys will then be loaded onto a cargo plane and transported to Chicago O’Hare International Airport. Upon their arrival in the U.S. on February 2, the monkeys will be subjected to yet another exhausting trip as they are loaded into the back of a truck and transported to SNBL. In total, these terrified monkeys will endure more than 80 hours of grueling transport before they arrive at SNBL, where they will likely be tormented and killed in cruel experiments.

Thanks for your help!

• Bridgitt says:

I suffer from many things which require me to take meds. I have been a vegetarian for 31 yrs but not a vegan because I had no idea. Now that I do I am switching to and only to holistic meds. I am ridding my house of anything not totally vegan. I have always had many types of animals and this makes me so !!! mad.

• Mimi says:

As a person stricken with Epilepsy, grand mal seizures, I’d rather suffer the seizures a thousand times over than to see this abuse and tortue. Researchers say they do research to save lives, for the good of the human race, then why don’t I feel good? I am 43 years old and will never see a cure in my lifetime. If you ask me why it’s because the cures don’t lie within these magnificant animals. Research is done for profit at the expense of an innocent animals life suffering Egregious testing. I don’t expect pity because of my Epilepsy, but I feel guilty because I do have Epilepsy. Why? Because these beautiful innocent animals are paying for something that they have no control over. They have done nothing wrong to humans to deserve what they endure everyday.

• Payal says:

THIS IS SO SOOOO INHUMAN, DISGUSTING AND HEARTLESS!!
    HOW CAN ONE DO THIS..THE LOOK ON THE MONKEY’S FACE..SO LONELY..SO DEPRESSED..ITS SO SHOCKING!!
    I WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING

• Danyelle says:

This is so sick and discusting. I do not understand at all how any human being can do this to such innocent and helpless and defensless animals. They are completely HEARTLESS, SOULLESS, and UNHUMAN! This may sound bad and offensive but, why not use those sitting on death row in prison or those who are serving life sentences or longer for these experiments. What is the difference, they are either going to receive lethal injection anyway or we are paying for them to live in prison for life? Also, maybe people will start to think twice about committing murder or rape and such if they will live the rest of their lives used in experiments. And by using actual humans, the experiments would be more relevant. They deserve to be put through the torture, not the animals! Could solve lots of problems if you ask me.

• Kavya says:

i don’t understand how can some one such curuel like this . they donot feel any fear while doing this. they do not analyize their life.

• carl says:

i belive that this is very bad in every way i do not know how people could do this to animal god put those animals on this planet for a reason an it wazz not to be tereated like they are in the video i am very discusted with the people in this video an it makes me mad that they would do this to animal i just hope that god will punish them just the way they have treated those animals i can not explaine how mad i feel about this

• Sheila Vandemark says:

All I have to say is, would these people do this to their own children? Shame on those who still let this torture happen to animals, that do have feelings. Man has ruined this planet, which was never in God’s plan. Some day all you horrible people will have to answer to this ongoing tortures to animals. I feel sorry and I pray for the torture to stop for the helpless animals, and I hope the people involved have to go through their own torture, which it will bite those involved in the butt, hopefully sooner than later. God Bless those Animals.

• RAVI SHAH says:

HOW CRUEL CAN THIS HUMANS BE?I HATE TO DONATE FOR HUMAN CAUSE.IT IS BCZ HUMANS ARE USING THESE PRODUCTS.THESE ANIMALS WILL NVR GET RESPITE FROM THE TORTURE OF ANIMALS.

• Lone says:

It should be law to be vegan!! No law in this world should allow humans to incarcerate, hurt and kill any living being – be it animal or human. GO VEGAN!!!

• Megan Cannon says:

It brings tears to my eyes and rage. Disgusts me to see how horrible man really can be. I hope and pray for these poor little creatures and wish terrible things on these so called “humans” that can carry out these “jobs”.

• ivana says:

Yes Paul , I am with you . IS ONLY TORTURE AND ANIMAL ABUSE . NOT REASON FOR THIS HAPPENING IN 21 st. Century . NO REASON . Those idiots sre sick psycho who love torture animals and our governments let this continue in this time . HOW MORE PRIMITIVE AND BARBARIC HUMAN RACE CAN BE . NO MORE , RIGHT . STOP THIS NOW .!!!

• matilde says:

abolire in tutto il mondo la pratica più abominevole crudele antiscientifica STOP VIVISEZIONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Alisha says:

After witnessing these photos and reading this article I am extremely distressed that this still happens. I always make a point to never buy anything that has been tested on animals or made from animal skins etc I just wish everybody else would do the same so that there is no market for this

• Kate says:

I have suffered from looking at some of these PETA videos buy nothing like the animals that are enduring this torture. Thank God for PETA and the work they do.I wish I was rich. I’d donate endlessly.

• Paul says:

And they say humans are a superior ,advanced and civilized race, well I beg to differ. I can not imagine there is anything in God’s world that could make sense of this behaviour and conduct. Listening to what this very brave person (whistleblower) has said it seems that some of the workers get great pleasure from further abusing these poor animals,I sure would like to get my hands on them. It really is time government got some “BIG BALLS” and shut these hell holes down once and for all,throw these folks in jail and throw away the key.

• Jason Capuano says:

Please God, let this madness stop and punish the oppressors of all animals. Have mercy on these wonderful, innocent animals.

• Judy says:

this is absolutely deplorable! How is this allowed to go on in this country. whatever they do to helpless animals should be done to them.

• Susan Blackman says:

I would like to thank the brave whistleblowers for risking so much on behalf of our fellow beings. We have no right to be doing this on all level. Find another way now! With regard to the inhumane treatment over & above the torture & torment inflicted on these poor innocent animals may you have no right to be doing this & should never. again be in the company of any animal. I am hoping & praying more people will take a chance & expose these atrocities w/more documentation & footage so The Powers That Be will be forced to adhere to new laws that are long overdue.

• Gisela says:

Where are the law makers? Where is the church?
    Did GOD say DO NOT KILL and LOVE ONE TO ANOTHER?

• Jacyntha Carroll says:

What abhorrent and despicable treatment of such sentient and intelligent animals. I am appalled that there are no proper and regular checks being made to put an end to such abuse. This type of mistreatment goes on alot, and is indicative of many labs across the world.

• Concerned says:

OMG.. I literally cried when i read and saw the pictures. How can anyone treat any animal like that. SO SAD :(

• Maureen Lock says:

Please do something to stop this happening. I thought the USA was a civilised country. It is just appalling – PLEASE do something to stop it as soon as possible. Those poor animals – it makes me want to cry.