Securities: How to Complete Your Gift
If you have the physical securities:
- Hand-deliver them to us, or
- Mail us the stock and stock power separately.
If you don’t have possession of the physical securities:
- Instruct your broker to electronically transfer your intended shares.
- Ask your broker to notify us once the transfer is complete.
If you own stock you wish to keep, consider donating it and then using your cash to buy the same stock through your broker. This way, you’ll have a new, higher cost basis in the newly acquired stock.
Learn how to transfer stock to PETA.
Please note: The steps above are for donating publicly traded stocks you have owned for more than one year that are worth more than when you first purchased them.If you have stock losses:
- Sell the stock yourself to realize the loss and take any allowed deduction for tax purposes.
- Then generate a charitable deduction by donating the cash proceeds of the sale to PETA.
Other Charitable Options
You can also use stock to fund a charitable gift that provides you with life income (such as a charitable remainder trust) or leave us stock in your will. Your legal and tax advisors can help you determine whether one of these options is right for you.
Have a Question?
If you have questions about your tax deduction, your tax advisor can help you determine the exact amount of your deduction for a gift of stock. Please contact Tim Enstice at 757-962-8213 or email@example.com if you have questions about donating stock to PETA. We’re happy to help, without obligation.