You’ll Fawn Over This Cop

Written by PETA | May 26, 2010

My “Things That Make You Go Aww” folder is thick with the obvious and the not-so-obvious.

Today that file is bursting at the seams, thanks to Sergeant Mark Fry, a caring cop in Toledo, Ohio, who raced to respond to a call about a pregnant deer who’d been hit by a car. Because of her severe injuries, the doe was euthanized, but her fawn was saved, thanks to Fry’s swift, decisive action. He not only performed a C-section at the scene, he also administered CPR to the surviving fawn and then instinctively knew to nourish the weak baby with the doe’s milk. Later, during a media interview, he admonished the unknown hit-and-run driver for fleeing the scene and abandoning the injured animals.

Sergeant Mark Fry’s heroic efforts reflect his belief that “[a] life is a life, it doesn’t matter if it’s an animal or if it’s a human being.” For his compassionate actions, we’re presenting him with PETA’s “One Can Make a Difference” award. Please leave Sergeant Mark Fry a note of thanks in the comments section, and then read up on how to help deer and other animals in your city.

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Darla Fry says:

I am lucky to be married to this great guy and we are not just turning Norman over to this awful fate he escaped from our back porch and we are praying he found a Safe and loving home. We are still facing the investigation but we will handle this one day at a rime.

• E says:

Great Sergeant! Words well spoken. I wish more people were like him.

• Chasity Miller says:

Pam The biggest help would be for you or someone who knows where we are to contact to post that here. That way those of us working to help him would know where to go. If I can find the info myself I will post it. Chas.

• pam parquette says:

Please help! The division of Wildlife is going to arrest Mark and his wife today if they don’t turn over the deer for euthanasia. Get the word out and contact our state representatives to allow Mark to have a special permit for the fawn. This has worked in the past for a man who rescued an orphan woodchuck and the division of wildlife tried to take it away as well. The more people that make their voices heard to the media will make it harder for the division of wildlife to outright kill an innocent animal. I know I do rehab and see this all the time. I would love to get in touch with Mark to help him directly as I am local. PLEASE HELP THE FAWN!

• Jennie Jones says:

Sergeant Fry I LOVE YOU!!! I wish with all my heart that all people were as compassionate wonderful as you are….a true hero knows that all life is precious! Thank You for being You!

• Chris says:

Great it nearly made me cry. xD

• Laurie says:

What a beautiful person! Thank you for setting an example of great compassion.

• Sandra says:

Sargeant Fry is both a hero and role model to us all living his compassionate beliefs for all to see. Well done!

• Felix says:

Thank you !!

• Megan says:

Yesvictory for animals AND people! A victory doesn’t have to be major but this is one small change that will lead to larger changes. Good job bless your soul! D

• Susan Myers says:

Wow I congradulate you I am also a person who would do anything for any animal to help resuce andor save their lives. Thank you for taking time to save this precious baby!

• Annie Marie says:

Thank you for being a caring person the world needs more people like you.

• Holland says:

Sergeant Mark Fry You are a true hero and have earned many fans! I hope you will interact with Toledo’s animal regulation department to offer inspiration and knowhow to those officers. It’s great when those agencies share the same caring attitude toward animals.

• Bobbi Casey says:

Officer Fry you certainly have a angel on your shoulder god bless.

• June Sharp says:

I love you Officer Fry! You have a heart. Stay sweet and caring always. Thanks for helping animals.

• Anna Virgini says:

Bravo Sergent Mark Frythey should be more compassionate people out there like you!THANKYOU!!!

• Rebecca says:

Thank You Sergeant Fry we need more people in authority positions and Life in general like you. You are Amazing I and the precious animals THANK YOU from our soul. 333

• Olivia Williams says:

Amazing Work Sergeant Mark Fry!

• ditto says:

Sergeant Fry what a wonderful world this would be if there were more people like you! I applaud you!

• Maureen says:

This story shows how to be a true tough guy! Great work Sergeant Fry!