‘Win It’ Wednesday: ‘The Cove’

Written by PETA | December 9, 2009

The filmmakers behind The Cove showed that taking brave action for animals can make a difference. The highly acclaimed documentary—about a group of extraordinary people who aim to shine a light on Japan’s dark dolphin trade and slaughter—was just released on DVD and is the prize for this week’s “Win It” Wednesday.

The Cove

Acts of compassion and courage are everyday events. At this very moment, people everywhere are sticking up for animals. Someone is confronting a neighbor about a lonely dog tied in the backyard. Another person is finally telling her beloved aunt how she truly feels about that fur coat. A high school student is telling his biology teacher that he won’t dissect a frog—no way, no how.

Now is your time to shine. Describe a courageous action that you took in behalf of animals. We’ve got three copies of The Cove to award the people who offer the most heartfelt responses. I have a feeling that the animals will win too—there’s no doubt that people who read the entries will be inspired to take action.

The contest ends on December 16, 2009, and we’ll choose one winner on December 18, 2009. Be sure to read our privacy policy and terms and conditions, as you’re agreeing to both by commenting. Good luck!

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Fredrika says:

I watched Earthlings earlier this year. I have to tell you this beause it changed my life forever. I walked into the screening as a pescatarian and came out as a vegan. It shook me so much that I who used to rather want to die than talk in front of a group of people when I got the opportunity to screen Earthlings myself a month ago did just that to over 30 people. It’s taken me 30 years to step out of my comfortzone and overcome the crippling fear a fear many people find difficult to understand. I have always defended animals but this was the hardest thing I have ever forced myself to do. People in tears thanked me afterwards and told me what they had been inspired to do next to spread the word. It’s the best reward anyone can get to touch somebody else’s life friend or stranger. I have been asked to screen it again and will continue to do so beacause people need to and do want to know the truth. Please remember the rippleeffect. I am forever grateful that Shaun Monson created this film. I recommend to anyone to hold screenings of important films. Not that I want to die but I can do so knowing that I did make a difference. I want to keep making a difference for as long as I live. The unheard need us always. With love…

• Kelli says:

I don’t know if this qualifies as “courageous” but I’ve often had to stand up for my animalfriendly beliefs and vegetarianism years ago when I was younger and there were a lot fewer vegetarians around here it was rather difficult and people would become quite heated about it!. I also always try to help any animals I see from a neighbour’s dog running loose on a busy road that I managed to corral and return to his home to an abandoned baby raccoon I will always take the time to stop and help an animal in need.

• AAG says:

On a very cold Thanskgiving Day I went to feed the cats that depended on me for sustenance and also to see if I could rescue Buddy the cat. I named him that because he really was a buddy. I found him shivering with his feline friend behind the restaraunt. The restarant owner who claimed he was his had abandoned Buddy to his fatebeing hungry on a very cold Thanksgiving. I spent my Thanksgiving rescuing him cleaning him up. I got him neutered and paid $250 to be housed in a pet hotel until he got adopted. He looked so beautiful after he had been bathed and he was ready for adoption after having been neutered. He wore a Christmas ribbon to entice potential adopters when I went to visit him of course he recognized me!. Apparently it worked because Buddy got adopted for the New Year’s.

• Ciara says:

One day my mother told me about how there had been a cat at the back door of our apartment scratching and begging to come in. She let him in gave him some food and sent him on his way figuring that the little tabby was probably just lost and needed to find his way back home. A few days after she’d told me that story which I’d thought nothing of the cat returned to us with a surprise… or at least a lack of something. An eye. Yes he was missing an eye. Our neighbors on the first floor agreed to adopt him but the problem was that they just left him in a hallway to dig out his eye and sleep in a cage. My mother and I decided this wasn’t right and I helped her gain the money to bring him to the vet. The vet suggested sewing up the eye but my mother knew that this would be uncomfortable so we both rejected this. We still have him and have had sweet little Jack a pint sized oneeyed tabby for over four years now. It was all because we let him in that he isn’t living in a hallway or on the streets and instead he’s living each day pampered getting his eye wiped and lots of hugs and kisses. I think this is courageous because despite not having much money we still took him in and payed his vet bills took him in as a stray and took a stand to doing what is always right involving animals and our everyday life.

• Megan says:

I show horrible videos of animals suffering and post it on facebook so far I have convinved about eight people to go vegertarian.

• Cat! =^-^= says:

Not particularly COURAGEOUS per se after all I didn’t go to jail on behalf of anyone or any animal but I think effective. I frequently host vegetarianthemed dinner parties or veg restaurant tours to increase exposure to that lifestyle. Usually people think twice when they see and taste how diverse and tasty veg food can be… and how much more compassionate and healthy it is too!

• Rachel A says:

I started a degree earlier this year and later discovered that several dissections were planned as part of the curriculum. I spoke to the course leader immediately and emailed all tutors concerned. At first no one wanted to listen because alternatives cost a lot of money. They told me to ‘go in to one you’ll get used to it’. I dug up some research about alternative methods and wrote another email and got the same reply… but about a month later they’d spoken to their finance department and bought in some BioLab anatomy software and DVDs so that I and other students now have a choice of whether to dissect. If the software isn’t suitable for that particular dissection the tutors also understand if I go to the library and teach myself from books and the internet which is pretty cool considering their former stance. Speak up and don’t shut up it gets results. GO PETA

• Carley says:

When I heard about this last year I saved ALL of my moneyand this was before I was a veg D and when I was helping out in a hot dog stand and put a jar out for moneyI have $120. Anyways last year my teacher taught us about mumifying. And to learn we mumified a chicken. I just started cryingand it was SO embarassing and I emailed her about how I felt. She understood and so whenever she was mumifying it I went to the library! D Also two of my aunts wear fur and I emailed them both about how horrible it is and what they do to the animals. Although they don’t listen I keep on trying and next time I see them wearing fur I’m handing them one of your panflets

• Colin Newman says:

A few years back while living in San Diego a few friends of mine and I were visiting the La Jolla shores. There is a small cove of sorts which people often walked down to in order to see some of the seals that frequented the area. Well on this day there was a harbor seal pup that was on the beach and visibly distressed upon further inspection of it there was a substantial bite taken out of it’s rump…most likely from a shark. Some younger kids and people were getting very close and scaring the pup causing it to feel the need to return to the water which would mean almost certain death for the wounded creature. My friends and I being long time members of the Surfrider Foundation couldn’t stand idly by and just let this poor animal be scared literally to it’s death so we stepped in and made a human shield like circle around it and called people off in an attempt to give the pup some much needed rest long enough to call the folks over at Sea World San Deigo to come and rescue it. They were there promptly and I truly feel that with out my friends and I stepping in that little seal pup would have come to an unpleasant end. We got heckled by some people and told off but in the end this precious life deserved a chance at survival more than some tourists deserved to get an up close picture of a wild animal.

• Crystal Whitred says:

This is a true story that took place in Japan when I lived there It was a cold winter day. I was going to my work place on my bicycle when I saw a relatively large object lying on the road which I immediately noticed was an animal. I parked my bicycle at once and went towards the lying body. It was a raccoon. As I tried to put my hands on it cars started to approach but it didn’t matter. I stood right there with my arms wide spread urging the cars to stop. I placed my hand on the raccoon whose eyes were closed and was bleeding from it’s mouth and I felt it breathe. Without a second thought I picked the body up immediately and took my jacket off to wrap its freezing body. I had to get to my work place but I didn’t care as I knew what was more important. Holding the raccoon in one hand I rode my bicycle to the nearest veterinary clinic. But when I finally got there it was closed. My body was literally freezing without a jacket by then but I kept talking to the raccoon to cheer him up and to keep him conscious. The clinic had two stories and I knew the owner lived on the second floor. So I knocked on the door very hard almost shouting for help. I think I kept knocking for at least five minutes then the vet finally came out. In a relief I explained the whole story fast and pled him to take care of the raccoon as I cried. It was a regular holiday for the clinic but he kindly said ok and even told me he wouldn’t charge me for this. The great news came two weeks later. I went to the clinic again after I got a phone call from them and there the raccoon I had named “Happy” had completely recovered and was as vigourous as myself! I thanked the vet thousands times and he told me I had took him in at the right time for he could’ve been dead if it was later. Yes and he could’ve been run over by another car if I had passed there a minute later. After another week of rest we had sent him back to the nature. I had never felt greater happiness than that moment.

• Chelsea says:

I met a woman in my apartment complex after she had recently purchased a Jack Russell mix a JackiPoo and spoke with her briefly after congratulating her. Months passed and I started to notice that her beloved new puppy had been left out on the balcony to live night and day. I caught her outside one day and asked why the dog was outside and she replied that she “had too much Jack Russell in her and was wild.”. Seeing as how my talk didn’t affect her much I contacted Animal Care Control several times and they visited the house on two occassions. After months of waiting and seeing the dog without proper shelter I walked by the other day to see the dog peering at me outside of the apartment window as it sat on top of a couch. Victory!

• Alise Shenberga says:

I showed some PeTA’s videos to my brother and he was shocked and I few months ago gone vegetarian.

• Heather says:

two baby squirrels fell out of a tree by my house. I picked them up and wrapped them in my shirt to keep them warm while we drove them 30 minutes to a wildlife rehab center. Only one of them survived but there was nothing they could do to save the other.

• Cassandra Silakos says:

I was skipping an assembly at High School when I saw this guy in a red pathfinder hit a possum. I screamed for the guy to stop! He just kept on going. I ran over to the poor animal to discover she was no longer living. I Took off my jacket to pick her up and move her off the street when I noticed her belly moving. She had a litter of babies holding on to her stomach. All but one were dead. I wrapped the baby in my jacket crying for its momma. I ran back to the school and found my Animal friendly Science teacher and asked if I could pull one of my friends with a car out of the assembly and take the baby possum to the animal Emergency clinic. She didn’t even hesitate or ask why I was outside of the building. Many People at school heard the story and word spread fast. In the two years I had left at High School many other students had tons of Animal rescue stories to tell. I received an update on the possum from the Animal Hospital She Survived and is living well in a rescue site that took over the care her mamma could no longer perform.

• claire says:

Well I live opposite a man with three dogs and I heard him beating them I called the RSPCA they did nothing and then I heard hm whipping them one day and so i kept calling them and harassing them untill they came and took the dogs from him he dosent have any now. I also did the same thing about a kitten that was condemned to live on a balcony with no food or shelter it was tiny the RSPCA in england wouldnt do anything so i alerted the peace and made them go to the apartementshe gave up the kitten. Oh and I found to kittens in the road and I took them home i have them four years later..oh and i look after pigeons..if i find one with a broken wing i take it home have done with three..i’m a samaritan i just adore animals i could never walk past suffering of any creature.

• Kayla says:

I think that the most important things I’ve done so far is change to a vegetarian diet. Everyday I make a conscious choice not buy animal products products that are tested on animals and I choose to educate people all around me. Telling them how wearing fur shouldn’t be a part of their lifestyle where there meat is coming from and most of all I’m an ocean conservationist. I have held a vegan bake sale for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in the summer and raised over $100 and I just sent another cheque worth over $130 by fundraising to help them with their newest voyage at sea! I am constantly making people aware of the unnecessary slaughter happening in our bodies of water and how we CAN make it end!

• Heather says:

I haven’t done anything too extreme. I just always “tell it like it is” and I have been noticing changes in the people I love. Obviously it’s a struggle and we can’t change anyone unfortunately. But I impact at least one person a day just by being me and sticking by what I believe it. I feel extremely passionate about my every day choices and in return it’s making a difference.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

I don’t know if this would qualify as courageous but when I found out my cousin took her grandchildren to the circus I gave the kids a copy of the publication “An Elephant’s Life” and read it to them. Actually is was courageous because it made my cousin angry my family tends to stick their heads in the sand and avoid confrontation on issues. I calmly told her that it did not matter if the animal being abused was a dolphin at the hands of fisherman of any nationality elephants in a circus dogs confined to the backyard I’ve gotten on her about that too I’ve advised her that since it seems the dogs are too much when added to her other responsibilities and perhaps she should find new homes for themor animals in a lab that cruelty was cruelty and that if it was not a sin to teach children that cruelty is okay by taking them to zoos and circuses it should be.