Willie Nelson Saves Horses From Slaughter

Written by PETA | March 7, 2007

WillieNelson.jpgWhen I walked by my boss Ingrid’s office this morning and heard “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys” blaring, I knew something fishy was going on . . .

Well, toss your cowboy hat in the air, crank up “On The Road Again” and holler yee haw! Willie Nelson (Yes, THE Willie Nelson) and his daughter have been trying to close horse slaughterhouses in Texas for many years, and today their efforts and the efforts of everyone who was fighting right alongside them won out! The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has ruled that the old law on the Texas books prohibiting the operation of these hideous places is valid—meaning that the two remaining horse slaughterhouse in the state have to close! The only other option the horse butchers have is to try their luck in the Supreme Court, but I really don’t see that happening.

To celebrate, I’m throwing a huge party this weekend, and I just bought “Mama Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys” to start getting pumped up for the big event.

I just love that Willie and his family have worked so hard to help horses. Thank you, guys!

Comments

• Valerie says:

I know this is an olderforum but thanks to all the hard work to get the slaughter houses closed and the drought and the cost of hay people are dumping horses on the sides of the roads and in the LBJ Grasslands. Seems like it would have been much smarter to get the slaughter houses to use humane methods. All types of animal processing plants need to be killing humanely anyway. Why don’t we all work on that? So this wasn’t that great of a thing. More barbaric killing in another country being turned loose to fend for themselves where is the celebration in that?

• alicia kent says:

This is sad because now the horses have been taken to mexico were there slaughter is sick

• Lisa Q says:

I wish that people were only allowed to post on here that have REAL experience and knowledge of what it takes to take care of a horse. Now that PETA and Willy have closed down slaughter houses in TX these same animals will be shipped to a more horrible death in Mexico! The focus should be on humane methods opposed to disallowing it. Or is Willy and PETA going to take in these animals that people no longer want or can afford?

• esther says:

Yes I agree the biggest problem is that people are not going to pay to have the vet come out and do it and then a trucking company to pick up the dead horse. so what is happening instead of a quick trip to Texas they go to Canada or worse to Mexico where they stab the horses in the neck until there weak and then slit their throats…yeah so much for closing the slaughterhouses…it is worse! instead people should have concentrated on the transport and treatment at the slaughter house. Horse slaughter will not stop where do you think all the over 70 of race horses end up before the age of 3? yep the slaughterhouse only now there getting beaten and stabbed to death I say congrats on your “closing of the horse slaughterhouses” And say good luck to all the people out of a job.

• tez says:

what the problem now is that all of the horses are going into mexico…thier slaughter methods are even more barbaric than the US’s.

• patricia carpenter says:

I really thank willie for being a kind and generous heart and his daughter too! His fame can only help to bring all this nightmare to the fore front I have contacted my senators in CA by email about bill HR503 I believe the numbers correct also I would like to mention that my son has had therapy on horseback so you know there really is something specially wonderful about their healing energy and love that they are able to give he stayed at Sonoma State Hospital for three years and was given this great opportunity he has a brain tumor and epilepsy please I wish no one to ignore these amazing animals as they have been part of our human history for so many centuries as helpers beasts of burden and therapists! They must be considered in this manner not as pet or human food! I just wish all these greedy people the worst for their inhumanity all round the world.

• Cara says:

What do you people think happens to horses that used to go to slaughter? Do you think money magically appears to feed them or do you think some are dying a slow painful death of starvation now that there is no longer a slaughter outlet to accept them? Do you think backyard breeders are going to stop overbreeding horses no they will not. Did you know that horses are now shipped to slaughter houses in Mexico where they recieve VERY inhumane treatment? Sorry to mess with you all’s warm fuzzies for PETA and Willie but you’re obviously not horse owners.

• Holly says:

Last night I was space surfing on myspace when I came across someone who titled thier web as my dead flickaAt first I felt threatend by the turm. But as I looked though his page I utterly freaked out and had nightmares the rest of the night. For my childhood I had horses and loved them very much as I do today. they will always have a place in my heart. I studied them and understand them. NO animal diserves to be slaughtered like this! It makes me ashamed to be human! How can theese people sleep at night murdering horse after horse? I say this to Willie THANK YOU for doing something I would have done. If I knew I would get cought I turn the entire lot loose! I would not be able to just save one. Wille you earned my heart. May you and you’re family live long and healty. Bless you

• Rita says:

I am in Ohio and the Farm Bureau is so upset because they aren’t going to be able to slaughter horses anymore. I think it’s about time some one stops the slaughter of something. The American way is to kill and hang it on your wall. It really pisses me off. Please leave these precious creatures alone. “Walk softly on Mother Earth”

• Larry Buck says:

you would have to be a complete asshole to not like horses.

• nico says:

thank god for people like you willie god bless you and those like you i cry about the innocent slaughtering of all animals for profit every day i must ask god WHY GOD WHY???? these animals have souls and feel pain why must people be so cruel WHY WHY WHY!!! someone please tell me why animals are skinned alive and trapped for a mans profit why? i only hope KARMA is true and those who hurt these animals will suffer eternally.

• C. Dave says:

Willie’s a beautiful old soul. I actually hugged him once! In his autobiography he talks of playing golf on his ranch. Some guy he was playing with said “Watch this.” That guy hit a golf ball at a deer and hit her right in the side. She screamed and took off but she was OK. Willie said to the guy “You’re banned from here starting yesterday! Get out!” THAT’S who Willie Nelson is.

• Elizabeth Robbins says:

For more info on America’s wild horses and slaughter see this great website with lots of great pics and the facts! httpwww.besthorsephotos.comWildHorses.html

• Elizabeth Robbins says:

I Am an Animal Rescuer My job is to assist God’s creatures I was born with the need to fulfill their needs I take in new family members without plan thought or selection I have bought dog food with my last dime I have patted a mangy head with a bare hand I have hugged someone vicious and afraid I have fallen in love a thousand times and I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body I have Animal Friends and friends who have animal friends I don’t often use the word “pet” I notice those lost at the road side And my heart aches I will hand raise a field mouse And make friends with a vulture I know of no creature unworthy of my time I want to live forever if there aren’t animals in Heaven But I believe there are Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind We may be master of the animals But the animals have mastered themselves Something people still haven’t learned War and Abuse makes me hurt for the world But a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for mankind We are a quiet but determined army And making a difference every day There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan nothing more rewarding than saving a life No higher recognition than watching them thrive There is no greater joy than seeing a baby play who only days ago was too weak to eat I am an Animal Rescuer My work is never done My home is never quiet My wallet is always empty But my heart is always full In the game of life we have already won. Annette KingTucker Wild Heart Ranch Wildlife Rescue Claremore Ok

• brenda k ash says:

great for you willie i have been working to save those beautiful animals.a great pat on the back for helping those that can’t help themselves. BRENDA

• Chris says:

Willie and his daughter Amy are incredible advocates for the animals. When he became my groups spokesman for passage of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act we couldn’t have picked up a better champion actually two champions. To top it off Willie has stepped up to rescue almost 20 horses from slaughter to live out their lives on his Texas ranch. He is always looking to do more.

• Nancy says:

I’ve always suspected this was a man with a huge heart he wrote “Crazy” ferchrissakes!. I just never realized until now that he has cojones to match. “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” So thank you Willie and daughter for doing something.

• Tracy says:

This is wonderful news! Many thanks to Willie and his daughter!! I really hope more slaughterhouses don’t pop up elsewhere. We need to get rid of slaughter in all of the US and focus on limiting breeding instead! It makes me sick also how many of those horses that end up in slaughter are stolen. Horse owners should not worry that their horses will get stolen to go on someones dinner plate overseas.

• Patsy says:

I am a horse lover and this is the best news I’ve heard in a long while. Willie Nelson is amazinghooray! And his beard is hot too.

• Sheila says:

Blue skies smiling at me. Nothing but blue skies do I see . . . Nothing but blue skies for horses from now on. Hooray for Willie! I love you!

• lindsey says:

It’s hard to be so excited about something like this because it seems so surreal. Don’t get me wrong though I am almost in tears because I am so excited. I have a question though I thought there were only three places in the US where horses were slaughtered does that mean there is only one place left the one in Illinois????? Or was my info just wrong. Somebody please let me know. THANKS WILLIE NELSON!!!!!!!

• kelly says:

I shudder to think about how many stolen American horses ended up on foreign dinner plates Horse theft has been a flourishing business for these slaughterhouses And yet the AVMA has supported them!! How crazy is that? It’s time for the American public that pays their paychecks to take a good hard look at the veterinary lobbies like the AVMA and demand change The AVMA lobbies for animal abuse too much of the time! while they encourage their vets to do sleazy things like shut down lowcost spayneuter and pet healthclinics or deny them the right to open Time to let the stink out at the AVMA!!

• claudia says:

this is really a great day of celebration! i can’t believe it from today on i shall have a better life texas shall not slaughter horses anymore! just now i shall bring the good news to all my friends! thank you willie nelson you are my hero!