Whoopi Apologizes

Written by PETA | September 5, 2007

Well, that was quick! Here’s what she said on The View this morning:

“Let me really just reiterate this for everybody: I was not condoning nor was I saying I thought Michael Vick did anything right—I did not say that I thought he was good in what he did. … I watched the show on another network that is a sports show, and what I saw made me take a minute to think about what happened with this kid, because they were talking about the culture of dogfighting, and so I thought to myself—well, if you’re raised in it, that may be a reason why you’re acting the way you have been acting. So I went on to pose this as a discussion, and somehow—I don’t know how this happened, if you read the papers today—I’m eating dogs, I’m swinging them by their tail. … I love my animals. I have cats. I’ve adopted cats from various shelters, but I also believe that if there’s a problem out there that we can address by checking out where it stems from, that we need to take a look at this in this high-profile area so we can mark it for the future. That was my point, and I’m very, very sorry—PETA and I are very close and we’ve talked about it a lot.

Thanks for clearing that up, Whoopi, and keep up the great work. Your fans appreciate it.

Comments

• Anonymous says:

You PETA supporters seem to have a hard time understanding the simple fact that animals and people are no where near equals. Animals are inferior to people and should be treated as inferiors. So I don’t understand why you losers freak out when a man kills some dogs but dont give a dam that milliions of humans suffer worse fates than vicks dogs on a daily basis. You guys are outside your fing mind if you consider the killing of some dogs as serious as the killing of a person. I hope Michael Vick gets out of jail and tells PETA to kiss his ass for trying to ruin his life. The first recorded dog fighting occured during the Roman empire and to this day is found all over the world and therefore dog fighting isin’t part of a southern culture its part of HUMAN culture. So stop kicking Vick while he is down and get over yourselves you can never stop animal abuse and fighting becuase it is has been in our nature FOREVER. Just stop crying about it and do something useful with your time and money like help some people in need. But if you guys want to consider yourselves equals with your precious animals thats fine with me but I will just treat you like the inferior animals that you are.

• tommy says:

Its taken me some time to comment on whoopie and her remarks. I’ve listen to them a couple of times and for the life of me I can’t figure out how in the world PETA would buy her “i’m sorry”. Vick will more than likly pull time for his crimes and he should but what about whoopie. All I could get from her letter to PETA was she was trying to save face ass and a job at the same time. I have raised pit bull’s and I live in the south. And could have made a lot of money off of them if I chose to sell them to people that fought them instead of having them as pets. And if you’ve ever had any dealing selling pit’s you can tell who’s there and for what purpose they are buying the dog. I say all of that to said PETA of all people should realize what whoopie did by sending the letter to PETA. I don’t use the word ‘APOLOGY’ because in my heart I just ain’t buying it to put it simply.It sounded like to me that because she was a hollywood star is was o.k. for her to say the things she say. Is PETA gonna be that forgiving of VICK if he writes a letter?In my opinion whoopie was playing the race card trying to be cool. Oh but if I say that I’ll be consider a racist or a bigot. Never seen it fail yet! So be it. We have 2 Boston Terriers Lynyrd and Bo both are MALES. It breaks my heart to think that at one time people fought this breed like they do pits now. We also have two children Lynyrd was raised with our oldest 5years old and Bo at 10 months just came on board. We couldn’t ask for or find a more protective loving playfuland good natured anywhere. Oh plus a 3 week old grandchild and I would trust our children with the dogs a lot quicker than I’d trust them with most people. I hope PETA will post this because its sounds to me that whoopie is sitting in the middle of the road on this one. And almost got run over this time.

• rojo says:

Ah Ana I see you now mean sick or fragile calves. Don’t you think it is better to put such animals out of their misery? Experience suggests that such animals lack vigour even if they overcome these ailments. As to the Persian lamb you are correct I was unaware. It isn’t a practice associated with wool or meat production and I’m not into fashion accessories. My apologies. I do not apologise for presenting facts relating to the use of animals or calling into question dubious statements. Through questioning I have learned something today. Thankyou.

• Cynthia says:

I guess we should say slavery is understandable also than. That’s just the way the whites were raised. That was their culture. So Whoopi you understand our people being slaves…right? It was just their way. What a lowlife you are. Makes no sense. You only said it because he is black. I don’t care what color an animal abuser and slaughter is…its still sick sick sick. I hope he rots.

• Bahama Bill says:

I know what she said how can so many people hear it different than I did. She was not condoning it. Same as in Korea they eat dogs and do not think there is anything wrong with it. If you grow up that way you don’t think is wrong. Go Whoppie Go Girl.

• Ana says:

rojo YOU need to get your facts straight. The calves are thrown to the side if sick or fragile and picked up by animal killing enterprises and yes are killed at being only hours old. It happens here in the USA!!! So its not my passion speaking I was merely stating facts that you apparently have no knowledge of. These practices on the farms are common. I see that you always defend any manner that abuses and oppresses animals for the benefit of humans too bad. You also need to educate yourself about Persian lamb coats. The killers take the unborn lambs from the ewe’s womb for their soft curly fur. Obviously you’re the one filled with utter nonsensense. There are plenty of data and photos about this abomination. You don’t have facts so you write like an ignorant uneducated fool.

• animal fighter says:

rojo i don’t like your comment about calfs and sheeps! animal babies are separated immediately after their birth from their mothers not for to be killed but for gestation crates! this is predominantly happening in western and near east ‘culture’! i spent many years in india and there are still some regions which are not poisoned by western and near east influence where people respect all the forms of life! they have everything which the west doesn’t have education simple life respect towards all beings and a thousands of years old history and culture! i’m really sorry to say that but western life is just lowlife and exploitation of all forms of life! all the western hemisphere starting in near east to europe and america also africa is hell on earth and they don’t know it! killing an animal baby even if it’s four weeks old is a crime and these western people don’t even know it! this is the horror they think the abnormal is normal! for this they are always involved in wars and revolutions! unfortunately the indian people are starting to imitate this infected lifestyle and are loosing all their dignity and pride! but in rajastan there are still about 70 pct of the population vegetarians and they have a good life! but in the big cities where they start to build slaughterhouses they are starving and also living in hell! the ancient cultures of china and india had perfect compassionate rulers who were themselves also vegetarians but today the whole world is infected and high thoughts and feelings in decline! the most honorable personalities of this planet are against the killing of animals and the lowlifes know this exactly but they insist they insist in their mistake! killing of animals is wrong and time shall show you the answer of mother earth! this planet is not just a dead thing! the earth is a living being with a conscience! but time will show you everything and then we shall see who was wrong! for now i can just tell you this i studied indian philosophy and scriptures and since then i know they are rich and the west is poor! how could a state ever permit to kill animals!!! this has just to end in a complete disaster…

• highland says:

to concerned it rather seems to me that you cannot forgive in repeating here the whole history of slavetrade! this here is not about human races this is about animalprotection! do you understand??????

• Marianne B. says:

Whoopi you are heartless. Vick tortures dogs and you take his side I hope you dont own any pets. To late for fake apology now.

• VANNA ROCHA says:

HY PEOPLE ! THIS IS CRAZY WHAT SOME SAY ABOVE ! VICK IS CRUEL EVIL AND HAVE TO BE PUNISHED ! AND THIS COMES FROM HIS SOUL ! BECAUSE HE IS EVIL INSIDE ! IT IS NOT FROM CULTURAL BIRTH ! EVERYBODY THAT HURTS ANIMALS ARE EVIL PEOPLE INSIDE ! AND THIS IS A FACT ! NO MATTER WHAT REASSON THEY CHOOSE FOR IT ! WHOOPI TRIED TO PROTECT HER EVIL FRIEND VICK AND SHE CANNOT SAY SORRY ANYMORE ! GOING IN HIS FAVOR SHE IS GOING AGAINST ANIMALS RIGHT ! SORRY BUT THIS IS A FACT TOO ! GO VEG ! BE A GOOD SOUL AND LOVE ANIMALS ! PROTECT NATURE ! FROM BRASIL RIO DE JANEIRO !

• Ana says:

Monique and Cas This is not a blog forabout racism. This is an ANIMAL RIGHTS BLOGFORUM. If you have issues about racism please discuss that with your elected representatives and with the NAACP. BTW there are black racists who also hate whites and latinos so racism runs rampant among any groups. I don’t care about Vick’s color I only care that he violently abused and killed sentient beings. Nike caters to many groups and I am sure many blacks will still be buying from Nike no matter what but according to stats latinos are the fastest growing group in the USA and THEY have much monetary clout. YOU are making this into a racial issue when dog fighting clearly is not. Hispanics and whites are also involved in dog fighting. Get off the race card already. Nobody can adopt the dogs because the FBI is in control and only they and the judge will determine the outcome for the dogs. Get your facts straight. Two humane groups are determining the dogs abilitytemperament to be able to be adopted so there are people who would be willing to adopt these dogs. Snide comments are ridiculous. PETA and animal activists also have the freedom to dispute commentsopinions detrimental to the wellbeing of any nonhuman animal that’s the purposefunction of PETA and of activism. If the slightest comment is made about blacks perceived as being racist the NAACP and blacks retaliate vehemently irregardless of another’s “right to an opinion”. JUSTICE FOR ANIMALS!!!

• Daylight365 says:

Better than anything Whoopi has brought the Vick case oh yet again into TOP news interest. Let us forgive Whoopi this breech because she is close to PETA. Treating her like IMUS as suggested earlier would be ugly and unfair. Let’s not go there. We have better things to do than make enemies and spread hate. Mr Vick was not picked on for racial reasons. Blacks whites and all others are either opposed or not. Reports of unlawful acts toward dogs just came out as newsworthy and PETA and its supporters needed to bring it to the forefront immediately. As for his friends leaving Mr Vick. All friends need to tell the truth under the law. This is a case when they would rather the truth go away but it is here to stay and the consequences are harsh due to their acts.It’s painful for us all but not as painful as WHAT THOSE DOGS SUFFERED.TORTURE PAIN FEAR What about “Man’s Best Friend”. Who protects god’s good creatures if not you and me? Ie letter Les Paul and “Friends” statements.

• MeL says:

Black or not Whoopi will get away with what she said originally…because she’s a celebrity. Saying that dogfighting’s considered a “culture” thing is ridiculous! I’m Mexican so it would be like me saying it’s in my “culture” to sell oranges by the freeway! It’s stupid! People no matter who they are should always think before they speak! It’s considerate that she apologized but it’s inconsiderate to say dogfighting is ok like it’s no big thing! If I offended anyone by what I just said I apologize! Dogs rule! They’re too cute and adorable to be treated badly

• concerned says:

PETA I hope this organization is not one that condemns those who have somehow caused animals to suffer Vick will pay for his crimes can we just forgive and move on. Thank God P.E.T.A. doesn’t have a hell or heaven for Mr. Vick to enter in God forgives and we must forgive Mr. Vick like it or not. All the hatred is leading to on sided hate blacks have forgiveness and whites do not. Fans at the Georgia Dome have to sit together and there’s a lot of hostility among people at the last preseason game security had to break up a brwal in the 100 section lower level on the 50 yard line. Our families enjoy going to see the Falcons P.E.T.A. was wrong to cause all this division among races. The courts wil decide Mr. Vicks fate. Too bad blacks don’t have any slave masters jerseys for our dogs to lay on after so many african americans were hanged killed intercontinental trades of humans foot cutoff to escape the unethical treatmen of humans oh yeah Slavery is the worst crime upon humanity known to man on American soil. That’s what I tell my kids when they ask about the Vick case Humans blacks suffered far worse at the hands of white people. God Bless!

• Anonymous says:

Whoopi said nothing and did nothing wrong people heard but did not listen to her. She should not had said she was sorry because she was clear when she started her comment that she was not saying what he did was right. PETA get over yourselves. The show is called The View and sometimes people think for themselves and make opions that you might not agree with. LIfe is too short to get offended

• rojo says:

Ana while I recognize your passion calves are very valuable and costly to produce. I’ve never heard of piles of useless ones nor of slaughter only hours after birth. Calves grown for veal are usually between 412 weeks old. The “unborn lambs torn from their mothers’wombs in order to be skinned for their fur” comment is beyond nonsense.

• Kim says:

There was a man in South Carolina who got 30 years in prison for dog fighting. Michael Vick is not the first. He is getting all of this attention because he is a public figure not because he is black. He tortured drowned electrocuted these dogs and admitted to it. Are we supposed to sweep it under the carpet because he is black???? What kind of example does that set? PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals not for the homeless or the pro lifers there are other organizations for that. Somebody has to take a stand against animal abuse. I also happen to know that as of Tuesday at 830 am there was 63 comments on The Views website complaining about Whoopis comment. So basically ABC is full of it. I will never watch it again.

• Steve says:

Whoopi raises a bigger issue how are we to rise above our cultural roots? Each and every one of us must question the morality of our heritage. If no one did that we’d still be living in slavery women would have no rights there would be no vegans among us and so on. We must all break the shackles of society. Whoopi knows this to be sure but didn’t articulate it very well.

• Lord of the Apes says:

to CasBrown what kind of a poison spitting racist are you! do you think that we have to repeat this on every singal blog here! this is not about race issues you idiot! why do you come on this blog shitting on white or black cops! i’m not interested in racist issues neither on abortion o.j. simpson vietnam war irak war ku klux klan charles manson kobe bryant etc. on this blog but i won’t be tired to repeat it again and again! you just think that you can finish us with racist arguments but on this point you are wrong! i’m behind you and i catch you up on every blog! you bunch of brainill racist illiterate ffffffuckers! and besides this you don’t know my color so think before you shit again garbage!

• sandra l says:

There is nothing more indicative of future antisocial behavior by human beings than cruelty to animals in early life. I am now 60years old and I witnessed cruelty to innocent creatures early on by heartless individuals. I always did my best to stop it. I knew in my heart and soul it was wrong. I tried to rescue every hurt injured defenseless creature I encountered. Whoopi Goldberg is making excuses for Michael Vick because of the culture he was brought up in. Give me a break. I was born into a culture of predjudice and cruelty and I condemn it. My husbands family were hunters intuitively he knew it was cruel and wrong. Come on people do not let this woman get away with this statement with her lame excuse about culture defining morality. Both Goldberg and the NAACP have made me ashamed I supported them in the past. You do not defend a wrong simply because it is commited by one of your own race religion or socioeconomic group. Lets make some real progress and come down hard on celbreties or organizations that defend cruelty in any form.

• Adrienne Summers says:

I am just as upset with PETA for letting her off the hook with her comments as I am with Whoopi for what she said.

• SOUTHERN GIRL says:

READ TO SEE JUST A LITTLE BIT OF WHAT MAN’S BEST FRIEND IS CAPABLE OF There is a dog bite epidemic in the United States. There are almost 5 million victims annually. 800000 need medical attention. 1000 per day need treatment in hospital emergency rooms. Approximately 26 die per year. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year with over $300 million paid by insurance. 2YEAR OLD SEXUALLY ASSAULTED BY DOG A two year old boy in the suburbs of Buffalo NY was sexually assaulted and then attacked by his family pit bull terrier. Police said the toddler was in his home on Washburn Street about 2 p.m. Sunday when the pill bull attacked. According to police the dog sodomized and assaulted the boy. MOM THROWS BABY IN TRASH CAN TO PROTECT FROM DOG ATTACK The owner of a pit bull that attacked a woman and her baby Tuesday surrendered the dog to the police Thursday officials reported. 40yearold Angela Silva told NBC11’s Ethan Harp she was walking out of her garage with her infant son in her arms in the Warm Springs District Tuesday morning when the dog named Swisher approached her and attacked. Silva is recovering from puncture wounds NBC11 reported. “He wanted to hurt me. It was there to hurt me” Silva said. Silva said her son started to cry and she thinks that aggravated the dog even more. She said she threw her baby boy in a trash can to protect him. Meanwhile she suffered injuries on both arms as she tried to keep the animal from attacking her child. The city told Harp Swisher bit another neighbor in May. BABY DIES AFTER ROTTWEILER ATTACK A fivemonthold girl has died after being attacked by two Rottweiler guard dogs in Leicester. Police say the dogs which attacked the girl in the living quarters of The Rocket pub in Stephenson Drive New Parks have been put down. The girl was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary on Saturday afternoon where she later died from her injuries. The dogs are very aggressive everybody around here is petrified of them! Neighbour Amy Grimbley said “The dogs are known to be vicious. They stay on the roof during the day and whenever you walk past you get the feeling they could jump down and attack you. “The dogs are very aggressive. Everybody around here is petrified of them.” DOG BITES OLD LADY TO DEATH “Everybody is talking about it. Nobody can believe it. 84yearold lady Rosa Radonja has subcome to severe injuries brought on by a dog attack. While she was walking along the Sarajevo Airport district the only lady was bitten by a mountain sheep dog owned by Tarik K. Police notified that in spite of a fast Ambulance intervention the old lady passed away on the spot. The attack occurred in the vicinity of her home and only several meters away from the owners house. A two year old girl who lives near White Swan is airlifted to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center. This after being viciously attacked by her dog. Three more of her family members were treated at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital.3 Four family members are in the hospital after their dog got loose from its chain and attacked them this morning in Yakima County.

• sipboy says:

This comment is for all the stupid people on here that say that she was wrong.If you like her or hate her she has a point.The area you grow up in does have a lot to do with what he was doing and why he really didn’t see to much wrong with it.Like i said the only reason people wanted to judge him is cause one he is black and two he in the spot light. I’m pretty sure people like payton manning and other football players gun down animails for sport.I guess thats ok cause your going to bring the animail home after you kill him and stuff him and put his head on your wall. I agree what he did was wrong but don’t try to make like putting a bullet through animails head is so much better than what he did. If you want to do right go out and protest during hunting season and let see how much they talk about that on the news.

• Jeana says:

Thanks for saying that Whoopie. I never really thought you were taking Vicks side but there are people that would think that. As far as any insults that people in the south may have felt that should not even be an issue. People get over yourselves. Its about the dogs not you.

• Claudia says:

day late dollar short if you ask me. . .She spoke of “cultural” situations I still do not understand how it can be condoned as a “cultural” thing. . .inflicting pain on a defenseless being . . . so would she also defend pedophiles because it is in their “culture” and that’s what they “grew up in”? Common! Gimme a break can you say footinmouth disease? Personally I hope Michael Vick’s case serves as an example.

• Jolene says:

That’s no apology and calling him a “kid” as if he didn’t know better. What a farce again a disgrace to civilized humanity and those who are ethical human beings. This an apology? When we’re talking tortured life and death for these innocent souls? No way. This was a very generalized fluff statement. My intelligence and moral code is highly insulted as well as are my beautiful girls both pit bulls who could have been murdered or tortured too. SORRY!!!

• Jake B says:

A Bizarre Dog Attack Shakes San Francisco Please Note Archive articles do not include photos charts or graphics. More information. February 1 2001 Thursday By EVELYN NIEVES NYT National Desk Late Edition Final Section A Page 14 Column 1 1136 words Correction Appended DISPLAYING ABSTRACT Two Canary Island mastiffs rare breed attack and kill Diane Whipple in hallway of apartment building sending dogloving city of San Francisco into spasms of grief shock and recrimination blood bath in hallway is so horrific that police officers at scene are given trauma counseling city’s Animal Care and Control Center puts to death 120pound dog that killed woman and holds second dog in custody case takes bizarre turn dogs are owned by two lawyers Robert Noel and Marjorie Knoller who have legally adopted 38yearold white supremacist prisoner John Paul Schneider Schneider runs attackdog breeding business from his prison cell and dogs involved in killing came from that business Correction February 4 2001 Sunday An article on Thursday about a fatal attack by a dog on a San Francisco woman misspelled the surname of a spokesman for the California Corrections Department who said the animal came from an attackdog business run by two prisoners. He is Russ Heimerich not Heimrich.

• Monique A. Young says:

Since when does Whoopi Goldberg not have a right to her opinion? Although I consider dogfighting to be disgusting ignorant and lowdown I am aware that there are others who feel differently. Michael Vick is not the czar of dogfighting in America I’m certain there are many socalled “nice people” deeply involved as well. It’s just easier to scapegoat the “evil darkie.” I wonder how many of the 60 or so dogs that were confiscated in this case have been adopted by any of you hypocrites? Remember the economic boycott works both ways. Nike’s stock would plunge overnight if black consumers stopped buying their products.

• CasBrown says:

I wonder why I haven’t seen a PETA riot in NY at the Precinct of the cop who’s partner died after being left in a hot car for 10 hrs. The cop is what a cop white right? PETA’s been all over Vick but not a peep or certainly no protest to remove this cop from the force for leaving his dog in a hot car. Proves my point about Vick. If Vick had been white the reations would have been different. Just like Whoopi. If the comments had been made by a white women some of you wouldn’t even have a post. It’s just like you to pretend to be unbias but you are what you are prejudice to the core!!!To those of you who are white spare me on what AfricanAmericans must feel or know. You know nothing about my people except for your prejudice.

• Ana says:

Angie This is NOT a forumblog for unborn children this a forumblog for animal rights. No one is giving too much attention to the dogs it is about time that the dogs finally do get the air space about how barbaric dog fighting really is. There is no double standard here regarding the animals. I am a vegan as so many animal advocates are. But there is hypocrisy with prolifers they will kill doctors or nurses and bomb clinics that perform abortions and see nothing wrong with that. Prolifers will scream about unborn children but sit down to eat a steak and wear fur. Prolifers care about the unborn so why not show the same passion for the already bornthe other animals! Human beings are not being raised in farm factories to be eaten…the other animals are. The suffering of nonhuman animals is extreme and in the billions. Billions of people ignore their cries there are very few who not only hear them but who try very hard to help them. Plus again this is not a forumblog for abortion or prolife stances it is ANIMAL RIGHTS BLOGFORUM. And those dogs weren’t simply inhumanely treated they were slaughtered violently. How about the billions already born animals slaughtered all over the world? Does that bother you? How about the calves just hours old torn from their mothers and then slaughtered after just hours being born? How about the calves thrown on the ground in piles because they are considered useless? How about the male chicks ground alive to death? How about the unborn lambs torn from their mothers’wombs in order to be skinned for their fur? They are the unborn also. Where is your sympathy for these babies born and unborn that were so callously slaughterd? If you are concerned about the unborn human get in touch with any Catholic sitethey will like that. Your criticism about PETA and animal advocates is unwarranted we just happen to care about the billions of nonhuman animals that suffer every second daily and are slaughtered every second everyday while billions of people don’t care. Being compassionate is something to be proud of and I am.

• Andy Thorn says:

PETA are the type of people to step over a homeless person to spit on someone wearing a mink. I’m from the south and I’m not offended by Whoopi’s comments one bit… and neither was my dog.

• nan mcclain says:

Janet Godkin you asked for the email for ABC it’s easy it’s abc.com if you want to get in touch with the view use abc.comtheview and make your feelings known.

• L. says:

I can’t believe that ABC said they did not get complaints. Surely that must be a mistake. I emailed one immediately myself. I’m sick of this being made a racial or cultural issue. It has to do with ethics morals and the cking LAW. I don’t blame Southerners for being incensed.

• Maggy says:

People don’t just fight dogs in the souththey fight them in my part of the woodsMaryland. As a matter of fact anywhere you find rednecks and they are everywhere as being a redneck is a state of mind not geography you will find dog and cock fighting. Whoopie should use this opportunity to reach out and let people know how wrong dogfighting is not say Mike Vick should get a break because he grew up in that environment. Mike loved the blood sport and he should pay big time. His fame was a ticket to walk away from his past. The fact that he not only fought but killed these animals in a cruel way shows his true self. He enjoyed seeing dogs suffer. That is enough to ban him for life as people like Vick never change.

• Jim says:

We were appalled at Whoopi Goldberg’s comments defending Michael Vick and his deplorable actions. We have written to ABC and urge others to do the same. Abusing and killing defenseless animals is no more part of “Southern Culture” as she opined than cross burnings or lynchings. All such actions are against everything civilized people should accept. Whoopi made a huge mistake and showed her racial bias in defending a convicted criminal simply because he is an African American. Candidly we don’t care what someone’s ethnic heritage or “cultural background” are there is no excuse for such treatment of living beings.

• Anna says:

Anyone who has followed Whoopi over the years knows this isn’t the first time she’s opened her mouth and spewed out garbage. It won’t be the last. The View should have learned from having Rosie. I no longer watch that program obviously because the network keeps hiring losers!

• kelly says:

Nardyne and Marnita it is painfully obvious that you have NO IDEA what Peta does or supports or the many actions for animals that they have taken. It is pitiful when small minds are so blinded by celebrity and wealth. It is also sad how many “family members of dogfighters” there are out there defending dog fighting. A lot of people take a lot of money from torturing dogs.

• Kim says:

Listen up dog fighting is NO more prevalent in the south than anywhere else in the country. Slavery was prevalent all over the world not just in the south. I have been an animal educator for five years. I am very offended by Whoopi’s “Southern” crack. Watch animal plantet’s Animal Cops animal cruelty is everywhere ignorance and stupidity is everywhere.

• sherri says:

I hope those of you who claim to know for sure that dog fighting is so popular in the south are taking steps to report it and stop it. Unless of course you don’t have any first hand information then that would be wrong to claim something like that and not really have any proof. I am sure it happens places in the south AS IT DOES EVERYWHERE for example in Arizona DMX just an example. People have a choice to support or not support Whoopi after her ignorant remark. Why must some of you feel you need to tell everyone how to feel? Personally I am no longer going to support anything with her career until I hear a sincere apology from her instead of her backstroke to save her ass with peta. She is certainly entitled to her opinion but if she has knowledge of this illegal activity going on then I would hope she is helping to stop it.

• Little Drummer Boy says:

nardyne cantrell are you really dumb blind and deaf enough not to realize that this here is about animal rights! you have not to tell here that we are putting animals over people! i neither don’t go to a human rights blog for to tell them that they put people over animals! i think that this should be once more clear here at last! and why you fuck up here with the ku klux klan! it’s not peta’s task to care about the klan but about animals! this is an international website concerning animal abuse animal abuse animal abuse animal abuse and not the ku klux klan i hope that this time you got it really!!!!!!!

• marnita lawrence says:

Why is it that people don’t actually LISTEN before they make comments. All of the SUPPOSEDLY intelligent people condemning Whoopi Goldberg for her statements are themselves making asinine statements because they didn’t listen. She said throughout her statement that she was not condoning dogfighting but she was just trying to understand where his frame of mind was when he was participating in it. All of you that said she should apologize for insulting people from the South should first realize that just because you are from the south doesn’t mean that you know about everything that goes on in the south. Eventhough dogfighting happens in other areasit is prevalent in the south. When this story broke I had family members that said that when they were growing up in the 60’sthere were a lot of incidences of dogfighting. So dogfighting didn’t start with Michael Vick and it’s not going to end with him it has been going on a long time and I’M NOT CONDONING IT just stating my opinion. It’s a shame that people can’t give their opinion anymore without condemnation. Just because you disagree with something or someone doesn’t mean that you are judge and jury about what others can or cannot say. Whoopi has the right to her opinion about M. Vick without having to apologize later just like those of you who don’t care about Vick have the right to your opinion. One more thing how many of you boycott game hunting deer duckconsidered a SPORTdog racingconsidered s sport and gamblingwhere dogs are euthanized after they are of no more usethe Humane Societywhere animals are euthanized for the simple reason of the kennels being overcrowded with unadoptable pets? Where is the outrage there? Killing is killing. I don’t see PETA protesting that. Some of you probably have a deer head on your walls right now and are probobaly at the dog tracks every week gambling on those poor dogs for money. A helpless deer is the same as a helpless dog.

• NARDYNE CANTRELL says:

WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT DOG FIGHTING IS RIGHT WHOPPI. AS FAR AS WHAT THE SOUTH THINKS THAT’S DIFFERENT. I AM FROM THE SOUTH. ATLANTA GA. YOU ARE RIGHT PEOPLE FROM THE SOUTH FIGHT DOGS ALL THE TIME. THEY KNOW IT. AS A MATTER OF FACT HERE IN ATLANTA PEOPLE SPOKE OUT ABOUT THE TREATMENT OF MICHAEL VICK BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE PARTICIPATE IN DOG FIGHTING ALSO. THEY DID NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT EITHER. THEY DEFENDED BY SAYING THE DOGS ARE TRAINED TO FIGHT AND THAT’S ALL THEY KNOW. THESE PEOPLE WERE NOT BLACK EITHER. I JUST THOUGHT I’D THROW THAT IN THERE. I DON’T CONDON THIS ACTION AT ALL. HOWEVER IT IS A REALITY. AT THE TIME MICHAEL VICKS HOUSE WAS RAIDED THE LAW FOR DOG FIGHTING WAS A MISDEMEANOR. IT WAS AFTER THE FACT THAT THE LAW WAS CHANGED TO A FELONY. THE PETA GROUP IS THE REASON FOR THAT. NOW WONDER WHAT ALL THEY DO TO ANIMALS. THAT GROUP IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. IT IS A SHAME THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOSE YOU LIVELYHOOD OVER A DOG. NOW ANIMALS ARE BEING LIFTED ABOVE MAN AND THAT’S SICK. NOW THE OTHER RACES EAT THEIR DOGS!!!!!NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT THAT. THE SENATOR FROM VIRGINIA IS ALLOWED TO BE A SENATOR AFTER HAVING BEEN A GRAND DRAGON FOR THE KLU KLUX KLAN. HE SANCTION THE KILLINGS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN.NOW THAT’S ALRIGHT BECAUSE THEY WERE JUST MERE PEOPLE. SO HE GETS TO LIVE HIS LIFE FREE AND EASY AND BE RICH HAVE ALL OF THE GOODIES IN LIFE. WHEN AT THE SAME TIME PEOPLE HAVE DIED BE HIS HANDS AND NO ONE WANTS TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!! WHERE WAS PETA WHEN DOGS WERE BEING TURNED ON SLAVES THAT RAN AWAY!!!!!! OH IT’S OK TO USE DOGS TO DESTROY PEOPLE. AMERICA WE STILL DON’T GET IT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK WHOPPI. I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU DO. I’LL BE WATCHING THE VIEW NOW THAT YOU ARE ON.

• Green Girl says:

I understood what Whoopi was talking about the first time she said it. Some cultures are big on animal abuse while others completely shun it. I was outraged when I heard what Michael Vick was doing and clearly wanted him to pay for his actions. I am an Anthropologist and we are taught to be understanding of a culture no matter our own personal beliefs but as a vegan I sometimes become too enraged to actually see that the problem isn’t just an action … it’s a mentality … his world views differ from us… they arent right…but this is where we step in and educate him and the world. Animal abuse is clearly wrong but we should understand his mind set at the time and give him a chance to completely redeem himself from his actions. At one point I ate meat which would make me look like barbaric to some but I found out the consequences of my actions and I had a change of heart and now I am vegan. When this story came out I never thought I would be for second chances because I was far too upset because the animals didnt get a second chance. But then again arent we better than that? I do not believe in animal abuse I dont condone it.

• Kim Knight says:

I lived in south Mississippi for 29 years and in South Carolina for 4 years and I can personally say that it is NOT common or acceptable to fight dogs or kill and mutilate animals there. Vick knew very well that what he was doing wasn’t acceptable. I lost all respect for Whoopi after her ignorant comment and defense of an admitted animal abuser. Her lame statement about having adopted from shelters and her love of animals sounds exactly like a person trying to back out of a racist comment by saying they have black friends or someone saying they have gay friends after having made an inappropriate comment. I personally will never see another movie she is in or watch any performance. I also will boycott any company that endorses her. She should be removed from The View.

• Marcia Dearborn says:

It’s not very nice to be funny or topical at the expense of dogs who are tortured killed. I think she should lose her job on The View.

• AnitaO says:

Why Whoopi would compare people that just killed animals for fun.And others who do eat them is not the same. I would not eat a dog or a cat.But some of these countries at one time had to resort to eating these animals. Thats like people in Africa sometimes yes they have to eat Wild Animals.And I don’t like to kill any animals. But Micheal Vick just killed them He didn’t eat them there’s a differance.

• Kelley says:

I do think Whoopi’s comments were not taken completely in context. I agree with herwe do need to think about the circumstances and the environment that encourage animal fighting when coming up with solutions to erradicate it. As long as there are large groups of people throughout the country who accept andor participate in this behavior we will never end it. There are not enough law enforcement officers and jails in the country to lock all of this trash up. Understanding this culture through listening and then working with people to change the problem will do more than shrill hysteria in the long run. We need to attack this problem through education particularly in schools when kids are still young enough to have honest emphathy for all living creatures. One of my favorite quotes states “It is impossible to reach out effectively to help others without having experienced a revolution within” is true we must change the attitudes of these peopleespecially their young.

• kathy says:

gosh whoopi the south was none for slavery too. does that mean the usa should regress even farther than they already have and bring back slavery? i bet you will say no to that one. get with the program. environment does not mean a person has to continue sick and cruel behavior. my brother hunted rabbits. but i am not a hunter. i am the opposite. i am an animal rights person and i don’t eat meat. the problem is vick became cocky and greedy. he is not sorry for what he did. only sorry that he was caught and found out the general american public don’t condon his actions. there is no excuse for animal abuse of any kind. so don’t try whoopi. i thought better of you. but i guess i was wrong.

• Angie says:

It appears the View has replaced one BIG Mouth for another… And I must say I agree with Sharon… between my husband and I we have three 3 dogs that we love dearly and a seven 7 month old baby who I love more than life itself and this entire episode has greatly disheartened us especially living in VA and being big Hokie Fans. There has been such an uproar over the way these animals were treated which I believed is well deserved but what about the innocent lives of unborn babies that are taken EVERYDAY in this country? I love animals probably more than most but still find it disconcerting that we are more concerned about the inhumane treatment of these dogs than the slaughter of innocent unborn children. Should only CERTAIN innocent lives be protected? What kind of crapo double standard is that? If want to advocate for the protection of innocent lives it should be for ALL innocent lives. And a note to Whoopi You can only make excuses for people for so long. Regardless of what type of enviroment you were brought up in or how you were raised there comes a time when you have to make your own decisions and be responsible for them. And as a resident of Southern VA I can tell you that this is definately NOT a normal or accepted behavior here.

• Tommy Thompson says:

Whoopie said exactly what she meant the first time. Kinda hard to save face and ass at the same time uh Whoopie !